PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I needed to justify my impending PAD. The best way to achieve this was to build another pipe rack. Now I have room for lots more pipes. Guess my reasoning worked...
The current version of the rack came from a previous design in a post entitled "space-eliminator" in this forum. I can't seem to get a hot link to work for the post.
Last summer I bought this piece of spalted maple that happened to be the thickness I wanted for a pipe rack.

IMG_0592_zpsac54c22a.jpg

This image shows the components cut out, sanded, drilled and ready for assembly.

IMG_0587_zpse8bdfdd8.jpg

With the oak dowels cut, I began assembly.

IMG_0596_zps28ccb963.jpg

Finally, I applied two coats of linseed oil and installed...

IMG_0604_zpsa7b7d1e7.jpg

IMG_0605_zpsb55b6b0d.jpg

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Sorry about the broken links. I finally got them to work. I don't recall having as many problems with images in the past as I've had with this post.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
After making a number of pipe racks it's become clear to me why larger manufacturers more or less standardize designs and materials. Each type of wood is different and requires specific methods of working. More importantly however, is that the designs are more easily assembled and finished.
I haven't come upon a design that I find interesting (design wise) and functional that isn't labor intensive. Not complaining, mind you, I find great satisfaction in working with wood and enhancing the display of the herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.