PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
So I'm planning to double my pipe collection today...and buy my 2nd pipe. I've been smoking from the same Hardcastle Royal Bruyere each evening. I think it makes sense to add another to the rotation and am wondering if anyone has thoughts or suggestions.
I'm leaning toward a corncob to keep it simple and inexpensive. The wife's happy about making the switch off cigarettes, however she thinks I may be a little over zealous on this right now. But still WAY cheaper than smoking cigs in Chicago at $9 a pack!
I'll be heading out in a bit, so if anyone has some suggestions in the next hour or so I'd appreciate it. Also, any insights / tips / tricks on corncobs would be welcome too.
Sean

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
You probably know this, but make sure you are getting a Missouri Meerschaum. Not all corncobs are created equal and I've heard some real horror stories about some of Chinese origin.
You can check out MMs website here. http://www.corncobpipe.com/

scrantonpipes16

Might Stick Around
Nov 28, 2010
There are alot of great pipes out there and I am would check out smokingpipes.com to maybe see what you want and there prices.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I smoke one daily...They are the best pound of pound pipe around in my humble opinion...They can smoke any type of blend with equal ease and enjoyment.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I concur that the cob should be a Missouri Meerschaum. I have heard nothing but positive about them.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
If you haven't heard anything negative about cobs you haven't read what some of the other members have to say!

Of course, their cob hatred is pretty much all bias. I started with a cob, and it provided a fine little smoke. However, I am very much a briar man, now.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
IMHO buying a cob as your second pipe is the best option--and then continue buying them every time you walk past a tobacconist with an MM display. Pick up briars as you develop what you like in terms of aesthetic, price range, and smoking mechanics (chamber shapes and sizes, stems, stingers and filters, etc.). At least try a meerschaum when you have the opportunity. Then look into metal and glass varieties. You may discover a few more I haven't mentioned along the way. Remember to explain it to your wife as an INVESTMENT, and show her how the price of pipes appreciates on eBay (search "pipes" and then sort by highest price first :wink: ). Come to this forum whenever you need support or guidance (read: enabling). And when your wife boots you out of the house, explain your situation to Iwan Ries and they'll put you up on a cot in the back room.
By the way, what is your first pipe?

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
@romeowood I just read your not and started laughing...and had to read it to the wife and she laughed too. The first pipe is a Hardcastle Royal Bruyere.
So went to Iwan Ries and picked up two MM cobs. Just had my first bowl of a blend I've been smoking from my other pipe, and enjoyed it quite a bit. The cob did smoke a bit differently than my briar, but still was great. Thanks for all the input!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
You've now TRIPLED your collection! Well done!

Repeat after me: PAD and TAD are not BAD....

I'll pass on the advice that helped me in picking it back up again, from a codger friend:

Develop your own tastes and your own ways; it's not a race, son.
Welcome aboard!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Sjolie,
You can't go wrong with some 1Q as a "go to" smoke.

It is good, and not very flashy.

I find it helps me enjoy the "good stuff" when I'm in the mood for it.

Escudo De Luxe Navy Flake, PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake.

Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd... etc.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
PAD and TAD two serious maladies Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition disorder . No cure!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I believe the ones that Collin talks of may have been smoking them like steam locomotives and actually set fire to them, if memory serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.