PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarb

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
I will start by saying hi to everyone! I have just started to find my way around the world of smoking pipe tobacco, and I've got to say it has been most enjoyable.
Now for the real question! I picked up this pipe today mostly because I liked the shape, and the price was relatively cheap. Viking is inscribed on the side. Can anyone tell me who makes it or any info about it at all? Thanks!
txzarb
[/url][/img]

txzarb
[/url][/img]

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bjarne, Dr. Grabow, and Crown all make a pipe called the Viking.

Yet when I checked with Pipe Logos and Markings, your pipe doesn't resemble any of them.
At any rate, let me welcome you to the forums.

That looks like a very comfortable pipe. Happy smokes! (Let us know how it goes for you.)

zarb

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
A tobacco shop I knew of around the area. Its the only place I have found that has a decent inventory of pipes and tobacco in the DFW area. The person there at the time did not know much about the one I picked. I was just out back starting to break it in with some McClelland Honeydew.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I was thinking Bjarne also... the shape just seems very Bjarne-ish :)
Although I think the stamping is usually on the underside of the shank. Bjarne second?

condorguy

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
I thought Bjarne too and it does have that look to it. But if it was relatively inexpensive, it might not be. Maybe a Dr Grabow? All the same, it's a fine looking pipe and I hope you enjoy smoking it. I'm new to pipe-smoking too and it's good to see I'm not the only newbie on here!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sure looks like Bjarne viking classic , just missing logo on the stem where it meers the bowl . Very handsome pipe .

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I could be completely wrong but I'm going out on a limb here when saying it's neither of the 3. At least I think so.
Bjarne: I haven't seen a bent Dublin in that shape when looking around. Everyone I found is only 1/4 bent and a little different shape.
Dr. Grabow: Doesn't resemble at all the vikings that they made(they were metal stems interchangeable bowls)
Crown: Is this the Winslow Crown? I didn't find any of these that looked similar.
I think it is possibly a no-name or basket type pipe. However I really like the look of it. I'm a sucker for a bent Dublin. How much did you pay for it? That could be a good indicator what brand it possibly is.

zarb

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
$48 before tax. I'm thinking that its several years old. I found several pipes around it that dated 2-3 years back. Example a Peterson St. Patty's day form 2007.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I think whatever the brand is or not you got yourself a nice looking pipe that you like and thats all that matters. Someone might pop in and have all the answers for you soon enough though.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have no idea who the manufacturer might be, but it is a nice looking pipe. As long as it smokes good and you like, that is all that counts! Nice pick up!

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
It surely looks like a Bjarne to me. Given the two flats, my guess is it is a Bjarne second.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ok I think I'm about to admit I'm wrong. It was bugging me so I looked around a bit more. I found here a Bjarne that didn't have Bjarne stamped in the nomenclature, only Viking Classic. Also I found here the Viking series in Colorado Matte which looks pretty damn close to yours. I completely looked over the two flat sides which I should have noticed. Lastly, you saying it was a few years old it might have a replacement stem on it possibly explaining why Bjarne is nowhere to be seen. That and no name on the box might mean original box was lost?
All in all I admit my wrong sayings and change my vote to Bjarne as well.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have never seen a Bjorne like that. Pipe Tobacco Place, use to sell pipes made in Germany that they called Viking.

Welcome to the site.

pipemaker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2010
Viking is a very over used term in pipes. Anything with a scandanavian shape tends to have some norse title ( no offence to Bjorne who seems to own the original name).It was probably made in St.Claude by a shop that runs a production grade for someone to keep the lights on and in briar(very common inSt.Claude) However I'm sure the quality is there. It might turn out to be your best smoker. Cheers Bob Clark

zarb

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
Speaking of new pipe....I just got this in the mail! Sorry for the picture its off the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.