PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjsantiques

Lurker
Feb 25, 2017
Bought a beautiful pipe carved by LaRue at auction yesterday. Couldn't look at it up close but I could tell it was nice. If anyone has any information besides the blurb from pipedia I'd really appreciate it. Will be looking to sell and if you keep an eye out you'll probably see it on Ebay soon.
ArTEuBH

ISnGOXa

yqJ8mlU

O8W3g4z

Need to find a different place for pics I think but in the meantime you can see them here: imgur gallery of pipe

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

ArTEuBH.jpg

What did you snag it for?
Caution: There's not a whole lotta love for folks that post a couple of times and ask for marketing help.

rjsantiques

Lurker
Feb 25, 2017
Thought that's what I did. But thanks here goes another try.
Was part of a grouping of other estate pieces and you really couldn't see what it was. Rest didn't look very good and probably going to donate all except a decent though well smoked Peterson's Sherlock. Got the lot for $60!
ISnGOXa.jpg

eSd28Zf.jpg

4PUufbH.jpg

wezfNWv.jpg

O8W3g4z.jpg

rjsantiques

Lurker
Feb 25, 2017
Also as to the warning. I can understand, just made this account today to show it off. I won't be selling tons of pipes but felt this was too unique to not show off a bit. I have visited the site in the past but never took the time to register.
My grandfather was a constant pipe smoker and learned young though only on rare occasion do I still smoke. Have a couple meerschaum pipes of his that I love.
Mostly curious about information on LaRue, not really trying to find a buyer. Hopefully someone hear has some information for me? Thanks, RJ.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not sure if this is the same LaRue, but very interesting.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Whidbey_Islander_Pipes

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Call the phone number at pipedia...? It's a very interesting story of what seems to be a not very widely known American pipe maker.
John Spellman,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Spellman
Or contact the former Governor or his family...?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Very cool story and nice detective work, Duane and Dave.
Judging from the DNA and teeth indents left on the mouthpiece I'd guess Gov. Spellman enjoyed this pipe for awhile.
Fnord

rjsantiques

Lurker
Feb 25, 2017
Just thought I'd chime in once again. No luck finding anymore information on LaRue and even made an attempt to contact the number on pipedia. But it's on eBay and ends tonight, good luck to those who are interested.

rjsantiques

Lurker
Feb 25, 2017
Unfortunately I don't actually know what you mean by that question. Happy to help determine if you can give me some info as to how I can.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Good luck! I can tell you, if you search ebay for "LaRue pipe" you can find some other examples...and their asking prices! :)

rjsantiques

Lurker
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks, ends in an hour and only at $100. Someone is getting a great deal :)
I'm in the green but wish it had gone a bit higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.