PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I have a question regarding an estate pipe that I just purchased a couple days ago. The seller was packing it up to send to me and he says that he dropped it and broke the tenon. He can replace the tenon or refund my money, it's my choice. I don't need this pipe to be all original, I just want it to smoke well and look decent, but I am not sure if replacing the tenon is a big deal or if that could possibly cause issues with the quality of smoking it down the road. I thought that I would seed guidance from forum members on this matter. Should I be concerned and get my money back or is a replaced tenon not a problem? Your thoughts.
Seller's note: "....just letting you know that in the process of packing your pipe I accidentally dropped the pipe and broke the tenon. I can replace the tenon at no charge or refund your money. Just let me know."
I am trying to put a picture of the pipe below, hopefully it works, newbie at work, lol.
bentbulldog.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Replaced by who?
I've seen pipes totally destroyed by a replacement, but if you have a qualified repairer, it should be fine.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
If you like the pipe have it fixed, Floyd Norwood fixes my stems, cuts some xtra, sometimes I have him make a longer one, cheap fix and is stronger IMHO the old cajun

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
If I were you, depending on the price you paid, I would have him refund you the amount of money a reputable repair person would charge and send you the broken pipe. If he is a reputable seller in the pipe community and is able to do a good job repairing the tenon I don't see it affecting your pipe, it might even be better in the long run. A delron tenon glued into place by a good repairman would be very strong.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I would be very cautious on who replaces the tenon. I think tenon work should be done by an experienced guy; it's not a quick fix job. Ask more questions about how he will do it before agreeing.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I don't actually have the pipe in my physical possession yet, it was being packaged to send to me when it was dropped and the tenon broken. Looking at his ebay profile, seems he has been a pipe maker for a number of years, so I think he himself would do the repair. I quite like the looks of the pipe, it looks nice, so I do kinda want it, lol. I don't want to come out and say who he is as that might seem as a commercial endorsement or something and I think that is against forum rules? Here is a link to his About Me Page page. Seems to me that he likely knows what he is doing, but again I am new here so I leave it to the experts. I assume some of you may know of him.
MODS, I did not intend to break forum rules by posting the link, so if it does violate any rules, I apologize and feel free to modify or delete as needed.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I like assaad's answer. I'd call a reputable repairman and ask how much he would charge to fix it. Then ask the seller if if would refund you that amount. That's if you decide to keep it.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
If he made the pipe in the first place that changes everything. Let him fix it he should be the most capable of fixing his own product and a repaired tenon won't be a hindrance at all!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey mate, let him fix the tenon, when it gets to you, if you are not satisfied, you can always send it back for a refund. (ask the seller first if he has a return policy, most sellers on e-bay do)

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Those pics the seller posted are tiny when saved to the hard drive. I linked to his URL from the listing ( not the eBay one).
That is a nice pipe. I'd have him fix the tenon since he's a pipe maker. To duplicate the stem you'd put too much money in it IMO

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for all the great advice. Contacted the seller and he has repsired the tenon, says it looks good and it is in the mail to me. He said to give it a try and if it is not to my liking, he will refund my money. Waiting with anticipation.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have never gotten any of his pipes. But he has a lot of sales so he seems to know what he is doing. Have him fix his work. Let us know how it turns out.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Ok, got the pipe today and it looks pretty decent to me.
I will post a couple pics of the pipe shortly and try a bowl or two and see how it works and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.