PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2018
I just ordered a Devil Anse from Moonshine Pipe Co. This is my first brand new pipe. If you were getting this and needed to break it in, how would you go about it? Also what type of tobacco should I use to break in the pipe?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use English blends, and do it old school: partial bowls for a bit, then full ones. Important to smoke slowly and don't overheat the stummel. I also just load full and smoke away carefully.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pick a blend you like and smoke it. Breaking in will take care of itself.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Pick a blend you like and smoke it. Breaking in will take care of itself.
This.
Too much is made of this breaking in thing I think. As long as you use common sense and by that I mean don't do stupid things like lighting with a blow torch then this sorts itself out.
Just smoke it mate.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
All the methods for breaking in a pipe work, so I’ve settled on filling the pipe and smoking it, because it avoids all the complications of trying to figure out just where I am in the process.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Perhaps you can just try to enjoy in it one of your favorite tobaccos that burn relatively well, especially for the first few bowls. Just paying attention to be gentle to avoid overheating or burnout should be enough.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Fill it to the top and smoke it. I have broken in lots of pipes and filled everyone to the top. I use VA, VAper or Vabur flakes and that builds a nice hard cake within 10-15 bowls. If you don't smoke flakes then just smoke your favorite tobacco and enjoy. Cake will build eventually no matter what you smoke.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't worry about half bowls eventually moving on to full bowls. I just fill the bowl with my tobacco of choice and smoke it. If it's a naked bowl (meaning no precarb) I do take extra precautions to smoke slower and cooler. But otherwise it's business as usual. For brand new pipes I will always let it sit for at least 24 hours between smokes just to be on the safe side.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are a number of rituals -- partial bowls, simple blends, treating the bowl with honey. If those appeal to you, read about them and follow through accordingly. Eventually, most of us just pack and smoke, and do fine. Cake building is optional, or scoop out the ash and just wipe out the bowl with a paper towel or napkin, for a thin carbon coat that needs no reaming. It's a minority approach, but many old pipe guys/gals do it.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
A million different answers. Here's what works for me. Burley tobacco, full bowls. Smoke slowly, like extra slowly, the first few bowls. Set it down and let it cool if it gets too hot. Light again when cool. However, sometimes I just want to know how well a pipe is made and if there are any hidden flaws. Then I smoke, hot and heavy, quick bowls. Test that thing, but know that it's going to be a problem if there are issues. Only do this if you think that you can get it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.