New Pipe Acquired, Could Someone Help ID?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I just acquired a new pipe this morning at one of the local antique malls. I'm not quite sure what brand it is, but I like the grain and the detail on the briar. I'm going to clean it up and see how she looks after a little TLC. Anyone by chance know what brand this one could be?
20180526_133830-600x291.jpg

20180526_133838-600x291.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Is that some writing on the side of the shank in the forst photo?
If so, can you get a close up shot of it and any other letters/markings?
Looks like a nice wide bowl, somewhere between a billiard and pot. It should burn complex blends very well.
jay-roger.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, the markings didn't turn out so well and it turned upside down on me, but the markings say "ANTIQUE" "IMPORTED BRIAR"
Then it has a lion it looks like standing and facing to the left to the left of the word "ANTIQUE". I want to say that antique could be the model of the pipe, but I have no clue as to the brand. You can imagine the difficulty I've had searching for "ANTIQUE" model pipe....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Imported Briar" is a stamp I associate with U.S. pipes. It started after WWII to indicate the maker was able to get real briar again. No idea on the maker. The grooves resemble those in the Drinkless Ruf-Tone series of Kaywoodies, but I don't see any Kaywoodie logo or other Kaywoodie indicators. Does the pipe have a stinger? A screw-on stem? Those might give a clue.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@prariedruid I fell across that exact same page and saved it just in case, but yes, that's the same idea I think as mine. Same style of the model stamped in all caps over imported briar. Same lion emblazoned on a shield to the left as well. I think they're the same make.
I have yet to take it apart, but as soon as I do, I'll find out the details of the stem. Out about to watch midget wrestling for my sister's birthday, so I won't be taking it apart until I get back. Wow... It really sounds worse when I write it down...

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Okay, I just got back and now have the stem broken apart from the shank. Looks like it could have had a stinger at some point, but relatively the same type of connection as that bulldog. Oh well, it would be cool to know the maker for sure, but even if I never find out, it's still a really nice looking pipe that I'll get all cleaned up soon. Need to order some of that finer grit sandpaper for the stem and get some oil, then I'll be set for a cleaning sesh

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here may something of interest.
https://rebornpipes.com/tag/antique-imported-briar-rusticated-pipes/

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have chased that stamping. The lion is identical to the ones on Gold Coast pipes which were produced by Pipes by Lee out of new york. They also made Briarlee pipes. Look in the comments section of the link Chasing Embers posted. I commented there as well. That is the maker I am sure of it.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Lee
Distributed by Stewart-Allen Co. Inc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amazing how many U.S. pipe makers there were in earlier decades back into the Twentieth Century. There were hundreds of them, and many were profitable and long standing, that we've never heard of today. It was quite an industry, highly competitive, and widespread across the country. I'd be surprised if there are a dozen today -- Missouri Meerschaum, Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Yelo-Bole, Medico, and a few others, and a number of recently closed ones.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
This is very likely one of those pipes. May never discover the exact origin and maker, but I now think it was likely an American made pipe from a now defunct pipe maker, based on the many replies and help I've gotten here. That's fine by me. I'm working on cleaning it up now and once done, I'll have a beautiful design that I bought for $12 and refurbished to add to my collection. Not knowing the maker doesn't bother me too much, she's still a beauty.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
All really good stuff fellas, I appreciate all the help. Now it's about clear as mud as to which manufacturer it could be, but all the one listed there in the book skaukatt, seem to be okay in my book. Like I've said, I think I'll just clean it up, know that I have a decent quality pipe that I like the look of and just start smoking away.
@tuold it's nice to see that it's not been just me searching for this one. Maybe one day we might know more, maybe not. If you like the pipe, you like the pipe, and whether this one was made by a well known company at a $2,000 price point, or if it was a cheaply made factory pipe worth $20, I still find it interesting and fun to restore. It would only be nice to actually be able to respond with a brand if someone asks "oooooh, love that pipe, what is it?"

Maybe the mystery is just what makes it more interesting. My mystery pipe. Kinda has a good ring to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.