PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I needed to get out of the house today. Family visiting and all for the holiday were driving me a bit crazy. So off to my local tobacconist all by myself! I picked up a new Butz Choquin Bulldog for $65. It has the # 1393 cocarde. I cant seem to find the exact pipe on line. Any ways I went to lunch and then to a park for a first bowl threw my new pipe. After the stem was oxidizing at an amazing rate. I came home and gave it the once over with a "Magic eraser" and applied some oil to the stem. It mostly took care of it but looks like the oxidation is returning in the thicker area that attaches to the shank.
Is this common for new pipes that may have been on display for a long time? I have not had this problem with my other pipes, well not as drastic oxidation rate. I'm a little bummed because this pipe is freaking awesome in every other aspect. Are other stem materials less prone to this problem?

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Lucite never shows oxidation, also ashtonite (mix between lucite and vulcanite).Vulcanite contains sulfur that come on surface for oxidation.How many things cause oxidation?......practically all 8O

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
That leads to the question, " Why the heck is Vulcanite used if it oxidizes?" I think in the future I will get a lucite stem made for this pipe. A nice color that will compliment the briar color. I'm getting all geeky over this new pipe. It is my first step up from basket pipes and my Grabow. Only one bowl smoked threw it and I can not believe how well it smoked in comparison to my others! I'll try and post a pic Monday after the Family takes off.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
The first thing you should is get some Obsidian pipe stem oil,

This is made and sold by one of our members, and for the life of

me I can't remember who. some of the etailers carry it, I swear by it,

great stuff.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Vulcanite is easy on the teeth, which is why they use it. I put softies on mine to slow down the process, and use Obsidian oil.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I know my local store caries the obsidian oil. I'll pick Some up Monday. I have seen oxidation before but this time it seemed to start as soon as I paid for it and walked out of the store. After I smoked a bowl it was ridiculous. After my once over the oxidation was still there. Once more it was looking pretty good. Will see how it holds up.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Best that I could recommend would be to give it a sand and a buff but if that's not an option I'm not sure what to say. Age does lead to oxidation in vulcanite and that's just the nature of things but a sand and buff will take it away and make it shiny again.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
The new pipe

]null

I picked up a wind cap for it also.

[/url]

And a cool little pouch for it as well. Fits in my jacket pocket and holds every thing I need!

Status
Not open for further replies.