PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
Hello all!
I finally decided to upgrade my cob and get a real pipe. I ordered one earlier this week and it came in today. I was excited to go into the weekend with a new pipe! I pulled it out of the sleeve and all looked mostly well. I did notice a fairly large pit on the side. I expected a few imperfections but this one stands out. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the pit was quite deep, and seemed to angle toward the bowl. Kinda makes me concerned that it going to shorten the life of the pipe. Should I return it or is it a non-issue?

Jan 8, 2013
It's hard to say without seeing a good photo of the pit. It all comes down to how you feel about the pipe, though. If you're unhappy, return it.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
Thanks for the advise gents. I am trying to figure out how to add a photo.
It’s a bones pipe

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Probably structurally ok, but looks horrific. Did the sellers photo show this? I think it would be pretty hard to hide. I'd expect a flaw like that to lower the price considerably.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
It's a Morgan Bones pipe. Some surface flaws are expected, as that is what this line is all about: surface flaws but an otherwise smokable briar for $40.
But even considering what the brand is meant to be, this pipe is severe; well beyond what I would deem acceptable even for this line.
These pipes are not individually photograhed, just a picture of each shape.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
Yeah i didn’t expect an heirloom pipe when I bought it. Just a good functional pipe. He did offer for me to return it but then wanted me to buy another one instead of just replacing it with a good one. That would put my shipping expense at around $23. Shipping 3 ways at $7.50. Not worth the hassle. I guess I’ll just keep it even though I don’t like it.

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY
its a bones! I have 6 and all have pits like that. My bet is it will smoke just fine. If it bothers you that much talk to chris morgan (owner) and he will make things right! He is a great guy!!

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I just acquired two Morgan Bones. Neither of mine have pits quite like that. I guess if that is considered within the realm of normal, I will count myself lucky. If that were mine, I would fill the pit in with wood putty; it's a quick fix that would make the pipe more aesthetically pleasing, and thus make me more happy.
I don't think that pit would have any effect on how the pipe smokes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.