PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Carter Hall and smoke it slowly. The quintessential break in.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, teaspoon! From a previous post:
Somewhere, shrouded in the mists of time, a wives' tale gained widespread acceptance that one should start with a pinch

of tobacco per smoke, and ever so gradually increase that amount over a long period of time until you're finally smoking

completely full bowls.
This probably had some merit back when pipe production was at its apex, and pipes were being cranked-out by the millions.

The idea was that pipes were being produced so fast, the briar they hurried to market did not have sufficient time to cure,

and was loaded with moisture and natural resins. Such pipes were believed to be at risk of cracking or splitting unless

they were smoked slowly and brought "into season" gradually. Somewhere along the line this notion became conflated with

the actual need to build up a carbon lining that would protect the wood from charring.
Pipe smoking is much less popular today than in previous generations, and existing briar stock is usually very well cured

by the time it's fashioned into a pipe. Further, many modern pipe makers routinely provide a protective carbon coating on

their bowls -- although pipes may remain uncoated to either show off particularly attractive grain, or to cater to the whims

of purists who want to build up the carbon coating themselves.
I am just now breaking in an uncoated pipe, and I've been filling it half-way up the bowl for the last 60 bowls. (Yes, I'm

anal-retentive enough to actually keep track of such things!) This pipe has proved to be particularly slow to "come around"

and start delivering that sweet, delectable taste we all shoot for; and I think it'll be another 30 bowls or so before it

finally loses that green, woody character.
Today, most folks agree that you can just fill the pipe and smoke it slowly (as you always should).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"smoked slowly and brought "into season" gradually..."
I never thought my pipes had 'seasons'. How does one tell if one's pipe is in season, does it suddenly become moody and grumpy just beforehand? :rofl:
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:) Jay,

I guess the same way that a cook seasons food. Perhaps another example of two peoples separated by a common language.

My usage above employs sense two, below.
verb
  • 1. add salt, herbs, pepper, or other spices to (food).

"season the soup to taste with salt and pepper"

synonyms: flavor, add flavoring to, add salt (and pepper) to, spice

"season the casserole to taste"

add a quality or feature to (something), especially so as to make it more lively or exciting.

"his conversation is seasoned liberally with exclamation points and punch lines"

synonyms: enliven, leaven, spice (up), liven up; informal pep up

"his answers were seasoned with wit"

make (wood) suitable [...] by adjusting its moisture content to that of the environment in which it will be used.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tis the season to season! There's a small benefit to starting with a quarter bowl, then half for a few smokes; it gets a small coating of cake at the heel it might not otherwise achieve. But it's fine to just load and smoke.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I would say, smoke it gently till the bottom. When finished, stir the ash around the champer (use the poker-thing of the Tjech tool to flatten the ash on chamber walls). Do this process a few times and you'll have a broken in pipe.
Have fun and Blaze it (figure of speech)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Those who say you should fill the bowl half-way smoking it for X number of bowls, then working your way up, and those who say you should fill it to just below the top are both right, along with those who rub a light coating of honey around the interior, along with virtually every other method you've ever heard of. Regardless of the method, no pipe has ever been ruined by it. By the way, smoking Carter Hall will add a nice carbon layer to the bowl because of its sugar content. That said, here are the tips I give every new smoker, and 1or maximum enjoyment, they should be followed without fail:
1. The tobacco should be much drier than you think it should be. Just before the crinkly stage works very well.

2.. The tobacco should be packed much looser than you think it should be. The tobacco should have a bit of spring to it.

3. The pipe should be smoked much slower than you think it should be. The bowl should comfortably warm to the touch. If it's hot, you're smoking too fast.
Follow these tips and you'll soon have a nice cake built up, and the pipe will taste great.
Good luck, welcome to the hobby, and thrice welcome to the Forum. A few thousand of your closest friends are here to welcome you, and provide you with solid, time-tested advice.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Great list above. One thing to add that has helped to speed cake development: when you finish smoking cover the bowl and shake to distribute ash along the bowl interior. Then dump as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.