PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I just received a Dalkey 05 and a Kenmare 150 on Saturday and does anyone else feel that there might be some lack in QC? They feel lighter than my late 80's Killarney's and Systems plus maybe it's my MS or Cataracts but the drilling seems to be off. :crazy:

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Thank you Soy and Trailboss for the insight, I will take that into consideration and maybe just send them back because they are unsmoked, put up some more cash for Sav Autograph. :lol:

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I have had 5 Peterson, all purchased new, over the last 26 years.
My conclusion? I will NEVER buy any Peterson ever again.
I've got three Peterson's, all bought estate. A 1978 80s which is perfect, a mid 1980's 80s that was drilled high and a little to the left and lastly an outdoor series pipe that really struggles to pass a thin pipe cleaner through the bit.
I will NEVER buy a Peterson again, 1/3 sucess isn't good. A real shame as I like their range of pipes but surely for a company that's been in business for so long these issues shouldn't be present.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have five (I think it is) Petersons bought new in the last five years, and apparently I have been dancing

between the raindrops. All are properly engineered, nicely finished, hefty enough for their sizes, and

smoke well. My five aren't reassurance that there's no QC problem, but it does suggest to me that there

are quality Petersons to be had. Perhaps it is a brand that should be bought in person. I bought mine

online, but I guess the pipe genie was watching out for me. I believe four were bought from SPC, and

one from Iwan Ries, and these retailers may have an edge on getting good product, and an eye for

catching flawed merchandise before it goes to the customer. I wouldn't want to try to get a cheesy

pipe past either of these organizations.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
is it time for another Pete sucks thread already?
I was thinking the same thing. Haters are gonna hate.
apparently I have been dancing between the raindrops
Likewise for me. I have 41 Petes and not a single design flaw. They all smoke great. There are going to be some expected small nicks and fills on the entry-level Petes, like the Aran series for example, but in terms of holes not being in the right places or pipe-cleaners not going through ... not a single issue. The pipe cleaners even go through my P-Lipped Petes.
As a die-hard Red Sox fan I think the Yankees suck, but their 27 World Series titles to our 8 kind of tell a different story.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have 4 Petersons - the only one that has any issues is the Rosslare (the most expensive one I bought) - the stain is a little sloppy. Not earthshattering, but I've switched to Savinellis.
I love the classic lines of the Petersons, and being 1/4 Irish it hurts to say their quality isn't what it should be. I keep reading that they are addressing the problems, but it looks like they have a way to go.
My advice, return the Petes and buy a Savinelli.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I love my Petes, especially the Draculas. Half of my admittedly small collection are Petersons. I'm just now discovering how good Savinellis are as well, however. I especially like the thick shanks of some Petersons and wish they had more. (I'm thinking of the 107s.)

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
When I first joined this forum . Everybody was saying how wonderful Pete's were. So I bought one. It was a waste of scarse money. I'll not buy another one. I've found that many posts on here are rosey from some posters. I've since given that Pete away. Bad experence. Many of the posts on here must be taken with a grain of salt.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
When I first joined this forum . Everybody was saying how wonderful Pete's were. So I bought one. It was a waste of scarse money. I'll not buy another one. I've found that many posts on here are rosey from some posters. I've since given that Pete away. Bad experence. Many of the posts on here must be taken with a grain of salt.
why would that be?
if you bought a Pete that you thought was bad why didn't you simply return it?
when I buy a Pete from 4noggins or smoking pipes I place a phone call and tell them to check it BEFORE they ship as I will promptly return it if there is any problem.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Look, lets not make it such a big deal. I think anyone who has smoked pipes long enough has noticed that Peterson has occasional wonky drilling, even in some of their more expensive pipes. I have not noticed this with the other big name brands that I have bought and smoked but i haven't smoked as many as some. If you bought 100 you might not get a bad drilling but lets not act like it doesn't happen. They still are great pipes when everything is right. So the solution is to buy in person and inspect, ask a quality online retailer to inspect the pipe for you while on the phone or via email, or make sure you are ordering from a source that can be returned to if you do get a wonky one. I will say that when buying any pipe over $100, it's not too much to ask that the holes were checked before it left the factory but YMMV and it's clearly not the case in Peterson pipes. I have a strong feeling they will stay in business and have many fans regardless.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
+1 daimyo
The fact is a cursory search of this Forum will reveal that for the past few years there has NEVER been a time when "Everybody was saying how wonderful Pete's were". The perceived quality issues have been front and center for a long time. Whenever possible, inspect the pipes you buy, or get an in-hand description. Buy from reputable dealers that specialize in pipes and accept returns. If you are buying off eBay ... well, ask yourself why they are selling the pipe if it is such an amazing pipe, and make sure they accept returns.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Didn't mean to start a war against Peterson, I am new and just thought others may have had the same problems! Jus subscribing to the old Packard advertising slogan "Ask the man who owns one." :lol:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
By all means, feel free to ask, it's good you did. If you did indeed get poorly drilled pipes, I suggest returning them before smoking them for a different set of the same pipes. It is doubtful that you will get bad drilling twice in a row, so the replacements should be better. I think the occasional poorly drilled Peterson is common knowledge among experienced pipe smokers but you have a range of how people feel about the issue. Some believe it makes them garbage and some like to put their head in the sand. I think the vast majority of smokers fall somewhere in the middle though and just know to look at the drilling job on a new Peterson, because they are usually quality pipes.
edit: don't worry about light weight in pipes, some of my best pipes are very light in hand and it makes for easy clenching if you do

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have 11 Peterson's, 5 of them quite new from the Kinsale line ($123 US each so "inexpensive") and every one has perfect drilling and smokes with perfection.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I as well own over 10 Peterson pipes. Mostly estates. Curiously though, my draculas smoke great... and the 1997 Aran green billard with silver band was never smoked when I bought it last year.... and its now in my top 5 smokers. Love it.

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
I have gotten 6 new Petes in the last year, all new. Mix of 317s, 303s, and 999s. All are great smokers. With the exception of the one Dracula, all are military mounts, which I love. So much easier to pull the stem as soon as you're done with a smoke to clean everything, no waiting for the pipe to cool. In addition, even if the Peterson "system", or the more modest spit reservoir on the, don't stop a gurgle, I like being able to pull the stem mid-smoke and blow out the moisture from the stem and tip anything out of the reservoir. (Full disclosure, I guess I slobber like a hound dog).

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Zek and Ska, that was my main point. It does happen, because I've seen it myself and there are enough folks who talk about it, that one clearly slips through now and again. While I wish they would catch them and not let the occasional miss-drill to market, one has to consider the sheer number of pipes Peterson creates. If they were messing up one in ten pipes, they would surely go out of business. I think we hear so much about it because when someone spends $80-200 on a pipe, they expect it to be drilled correctly and thanks to the internet, it get's amplified. If it were really that bad, I would suggest people stay away from them. As it is, there is a slight chance you may get a poorly drilled pipe and there should always be a way to address it if that happens. So buy a Peterson if you are in the market for one, but don't buy off eBay from someone who wont take returns.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It does happen. I have an estate 307 rusticated. The thing wouldn't stay lit for the life of me. I love this pipe cause it looks great, clenches great and is light weight.
So last night I took some small files and opened up the draw hole in the bowl. Smoking it now.... sooooo much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.