New Peterson Trom Dubh Collection (9BC & 999!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2018/04/01/85-the-new-trom-dubh-collection-a-heavy-metal-quartet/
Wow, see the link above to Mark Irwins blog and a new, mid-grade collection by Peterson. Two of my favorite shapes return in their original profiles!
The 9BC (or simply BC in this collection), a chubby bent had been the XL90 for years (the 9BC was only pre-Republic).
The Bull is of course the 999, but is one looks to be in the original chunky style (it has become increasingly slimmer over the decades).
Not much info yet, just the one poster.
trom-dubh-strutcard.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Although I'm not much of a fan of black pipes, these shapes seem to be well represented in the color. I think, however I'd rather have the red stain with silver band or the natural. I've wanted a Peterson John Bull (this version of the 999) for quite some time so it's exciting to see it coming back. The BC would be a welcome addition to my other XL90's as well. What's not exciting is the price. I just can't justify spending 460 dollars on a black enameled pipe with an aluminum band. And 600 dollars for the red stain with silver band, and 800 for the natural... well, no thank you. I'm a fan of Peterson pipes, but it seems they've been getting a little cukoo :crazy: with their pricing on newer lines lately. I'll wait and hope they release the John Bull in another line. It would do extremely well as an Irish Harp or Flame Grain (with silver bands), or a Dublin & London (silver band and natural stain), and be much less expensive.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
No, Mark got me, good! I googled the new set and couldn't find anything else about it. Mark frequently gets a heads up from Sallynoggin, so I didn't think anything of that. He only fessed up when I inquired if the higher ends would have vulcanite stems...

Jan 8, 2013
No, Mark got me, good! I googled the new set and couldn't find anything else about it. Mark frequently gets a heads up from Sallynoggin, so I didn't think anything of that. He only fessed up when I inquired if the higher ends would have vulcanite stems...
Nobody ever reads the small print anyway... except R... R obviously reads the small print :lol:
It would have been great to see the original 999 come back into production though :crying: Briarworks does a nice rendition of the John Bull, though. Perhaps I'll snag one of those.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Would be nice if they did reissue the 9BC and John Bull. Anthony, I was lucky enough to snag a Dublin & London John Bull from a fellow pipe forum member at another forum years ago. Am guessing that 1 was made toward the end of the run in the 70"s. But, if you want I, yeah those Briar Works ones look good. Also saw a Chacom bullmoose on a foreign site.

Jan 8, 2013
. Anthony, I was lucky enough to snag a Dublin & London John Bull from a fellow pipe forum member at another forum years ago. Am guessing that 1 was made toward the end of the run in the 70"s.
They've reissued the line. The new pipes have a silver band and caramel swirled stem. I have one as a 106. They're quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.