PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Just wanted to show my new Peterson. I know all of you have seen them before. I've not smoked one though - it'll be new to me. Any comments on how to get the most from a PSystem pipe.

photo-600x450.jpg

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
To get the best out of a system pipe is exactly the same as any other pipe, just give it a good clean regularly, to clean the reservoir screw a tissue into the shank an keep turning until knackered, then pull out, dip the tissue into a drop of alcohol to get it really clean,the chamber air hole can be cleaned with a pipe cleaner inserted at an angle, you might find that slim pipe cleaners like Falcon are best for cleaning the stem.

anduril8

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Love the 303, I've been wanting one with a smooth finish but seeing your's confuses me again.
Rusticated, or smooth?

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice Pete! I love the 303 so much I have 3 of them. Tobakenist's advice on System care is spot on.
Enjoy your 303 and let us know how you like it once you've got a few bowls on it.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
No comments for you other than I love the pipe, I currently have one rusticated briar and it can't be polished with a microfiber cloth because the edges all over the rustication tear the cloth apart. Do Peterson rusticated pipes also do this? Do any good brands do this? The reason I ask is because that pipe is an economy one that was only $25 at a store.
Actually I do have two suggestions, pipe softies are amazing with p-lips because they are very difficult to hold in your teeth without them. They make it so you can easily, and you don't leave teeth marks on that beautiful stem. The other is to not worry about the resaviour that collects liquid, if you try to remove the stem, then you end up getting the shank wet inside when you dry out that area with a pipe cleaner. I find it easier and better for the pipe to just let it dry normally with the stem on for a longer period than a normal briar dries out (a day is good). Then I always clean before a smoke, not after because it's hard to get a cleaner through the bowel with it's unique system while the stem is still on.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
the edges all over the rustication tear the cloth apart. Do Peterson rusticated pipes also do this?
I can only speak for my Donegal Rocky Pete. The rustication doesn't have sharp edges therefore it doesn't grab at whatever you're polishing it with.
The other is to not worry about the resaviour that collects liquid, if you try to remove the stem, then you end up getting the shank wet inside when you dry out that area with a pipe cleaner. I find it easier and better for the pipe to just let it dry normally with the stem on for a longer period than a normal briar dries out (a day is good)
I find the paper towel to the reservoir :mrgreen: shortly after finishing a bowl to work better, every time I've left my System to dry on its' own it developed this sludge after the following smoke. I also learned over the short time I've been smoking them that bent P-lip stems like to be cleaned from the chamber end to the lip.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
These suggestions are all great. Thanks! I'm going to wait until the Zippo Pipe Lighter that I ordered comes in before I start smoking it. I want to be as careful as I can while breaking it in.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Use matches! They have a low flame temperature compared to lighters and then you can compare and contrast tastes when your Zippo comes in!

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I'm sure I could practice using matches more, but so far they haven't been my friends. I end up either using a zillion matches to lite or smoking part of the match along with the tobacco. uhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.