PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Gentlemen,

this morning the postman came and brought in a much awaited pipe, won on Ebay last week and joining my little collection of Peterson's pipes.
From Jim Liley's website :

"While the Supreme is Peterson's highest grade in their standard line, the Straight Grain is by far the rarest and most sought-after grade that Peterson produces ... and they make only a handful, if that, a year. You cannot special-order a pipe in this grade, and you will seldom see them being advertised or at any pipe shows - they are just not available."
And here it is, a real beauty:

y5h5.jpg

It's rather big (15cm long, the bowl is 5cm high and 3,5cm of diameter) but very lightweight with only 47g !!!

I got it estate, but it's in wonderful shape. The marking are the usuals (Made in the Republic of Ireland) but there is not a shape number...it's marked "PS" where the shape number usually is. Any idea of what it means?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats castellarius - that is stunning!
it's marked "PS" where the shape number usually is. Any idea of what it means?
I honestly don't know, but my guess would be "Peterson Supreme".

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks Six :) A good guess, you might really be right !
I'm searching the internet, but apparently there is nothing about this...I might write an email to Peterson, I'm really curious about this marking !
Now, 2 or 3 more Petes and my little collection will be complete, but they are hard to find...and sometimes really really expensive. This one was a bargain as the auctions ended at 83 euros including shipment from Germany...but I've seen a wonderful silver lid Peterson for around 500 euros...maybe for Christmas eheheh :)
As for lighting it up I'm waiting tonight, it's huge and will last a couple of hours minimum...

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Update: PS *should* be for : Peterson Special , I remeber having read that, but I'm trying to find where I actually did read it...

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
Thank you guys =)

I couldn't resist and fired it up with Dunhill 965....she smokes wonderfully !

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
castellarius, on second thought, the PS might be "Peterson Straight Grain" (based on the name on the photo). BTW, excellent price too.

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice :) Is the band silver or nickel? I have yet to own one with silver, but I'm sure I will some day. I have one Pete. A St. Patty's Day 2013. Of my small collection, it is so far my best smoker. Enjoy the heck out of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.