PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
Hi all, thought I would share this with you. I won this Peterson on ebay last night. I know it isn't in the best condition, but for the price it was a steal. I paid £5.60 for it, which is just under $9. I think I may restore it if I have time but I'll see what it's like when it arrives
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120931079248?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D120931079248%26_rdc%3D1
Let me know what you think

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
A very nice pipe for a great price! Wish the seller had more pictures so that the other side could be seen as well. Should clean up nicely.
Congrats

steve

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
Yes, I am quite intrigued to see what the other side looks like. There seems to be quite alot of charring to the rim of the bowl but I am no too bothered at this stage. Can't wait to get it now!

steve

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
I don't suppose you would have any advice on recrowning would you? I haven't attempted this before as all of the other estates I have bought never needed it. If you could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
Thanks

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Steve,

Good find there. She should clean up nicely and give you many more years of smoking pleasure.
I just ream the bowl, then take (a whole bunch) of Q-Tips and clean the rim with spit until it's clean. I've never re-crowned an estate. I think the beat-up rim just add some character.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I would sandpaper it inside and out until it is nice and smooth then apply a new stain and polish, it really is in some need of TLC. I hope the rim damage doesn't go very far down on the other side. While I enjoy the look of an old pipe, if the finish is badly damaged like this one, I would create a new one. I have always thought about buying pipes like that and reselling them after making them all better, however without some real equipment it would not be worth the effort unless I was doing it for friends and family. I'd watch the sanding around those cuts on the rim (signiture of a bulldog) could cause it to not look right without cutting them deeper (something I can not do, with my amateur skills).

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have re-crowned quite a few poorly estate pipes, the best way is to have a broad flat abrasive surface, I have a diamond flat file that I use, masking tape the shank with the stem removed first in case of accidental slippage, turn the pipe upside down and work the pipe with even pressure (very important)over the file, not the file over the pipe and work down to meet the end of the damage, I finish off with fine grit sand paper laid out on a flat surface. For staining, a inexpensive tip, dip a pipe cleaner into alcohol and clean pipe as normal and then rub the pipe cleaner onto the crown and keep doing until the right shade required, then give it a good wax and done.

steve

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for all your messages guys, I think what I am going to do is wait until it arrives and assess it then. I can't make my mind up on the severity of the damage, so I think ill just wait before deciding. Thanks to tobakenist and taerin for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.