PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Does anyone know anything about new Parkers? I love the older ones that I smoke, but I'd love to read about your experiences with newer ones.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I bought two new Parkers last year. Slight seconds. They are my two main briars, were drilled perfectly, and smoke great. They have quite an open draw, and I tend to give them a slightly firmer pack than I do with other pipes. However, I don't have a huge range of other briars, so I can't give any comparison to older Parkers or pipes from other brands. The only other full sized briar I own is a Molina Hobby.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I bought two Parkers in London a year ago, and they are fine pipes. One has straight grain and looks like it started out as a Dunhill. Don't know why it didn't make the grade- a somewhat thinner wall may be involved, is my guess.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know about new, exactly, but I bought a new Parker about five years ago from Cup O Joes, if I remember, a slightly bent cherrywood shape briar. It's a sturdy little pipe, nicely drilled and a good clencher with plenty of bowl. I like it. My only complaint was the over-application of bowl coating or finish that lined the shank and took time to wear down with pipe cleaners. It was an annoyance, but not a permanent flaw. In general, Parkers seem like standard quality pipes that are moderately priced. If you buy one, you'll probably do fine.
jpm', I am of the opinion that Parkers are never Dunhill seconds. To my eye, the shapes don't match up, and I doubt they start from the same stock of briar. I think the Parker assembly line is a separate one, as is Hardcastle and perhaps Britannia. Likewise, I'm not sure if all the work is done in London, despite the stamping, or England for that matter. France and/or Italy may have their hand in some of the work before they reach UK. I don't have any inside knowledge, but some on Forums believe this is likely.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I don't think there are any Dunhill seconds! They become other names.... Now, it's also true that Parker seems to do its own stuff, but what would be Dunny seconds have to go somewhere!
At the same time, perhaps neither of my two Parkers are Dunny shapes at all. My eye for that is not developed. Here they are:
IhGTcYd.jpg

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
For those people who are saying that Parker is nothing to do with the Dunhill factory, I'll just leave this link here for where I bought my two last year.
http://thepipeshop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Parker_of_London__Dunhill_Factory_made__slight_seconds_50.html
I hope this doesn't breach any forum rules, I just want to show that some Parkers ARE specifically being sold as having come from there. It may well be that other Parkers have a different origin and process route.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The plot thickens. I wouldn't bet that jpm's or the pipes offered through Scotland are NOT Dunhill seconds. Neither set is what I've seen offered as Parkers, either online or at pipe shops and shows. Maybe there is a side stream of seconds. I'm not enough of a student of Dunhills to be able to call 'em. Maybe one of our Dunhill scholars can offer an assessment.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many pipe retailers like to make the connection with Dunghill when selling Parker pipes, it's obviously good for business. Thing is Parker, though Dunghill owned, are an entirely different entity and their pipes are not Dunghill seconds.
I read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that Alfred Dunghill burned all substandard stummels as he never wanted them ever to reach the market.
I have bought two new Parker pipes recently and they're terrific smokers for the money.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that Alfred Dunghill burned all substandard stummels as he never wanted them ever to reach the market.
Heard/read that also. I'm sure he burnt a few to big effect, but to think he incinerated hundreds or thousands of pipes that didn't cut it defies my sense of commerce. Well, I wish I could burn several hundreds of thousands of Pounds.... Maybe next year....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Well, I wish I could burn several hundreds of thousands of Pounds..."
And there was me thinking you folks traded on those new fangled things called dollars, unless of course you were referring to your bloated tobacco stash 8O
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.