PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Well, guys. It is with much excitement that I share with y'all. I'm gonna be a dad! ETA: March.

Any wise advice before I smoke my cellar clean in an attempted stress relief? :)

Dec 28, 2015
Yeah just try to slow down and enjoy the ride. I know it sounds cliche but it really goes by SO fast. Oh and congrats!!!

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
So what you're saying is parenting is the same as smoking a bowl? Just an really long bowl. (Slow down, don't huff and puff, take your time, enjoy it?)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Congrats on your exciting news. Go slow and remember that children don't come with instructions. Just go with the flow. You'll be fine. Many of us have gone through this and nearly survived.

Dec 28, 2015
So what you're saying is parenting is the same as smoking a bowl? Just an really long bowl. (Slow down, don't huff and puff, take your time, enjoy it?)
Sounds like you get it. I think you will be a great dad.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Congrats! Just remember all of the things you did an didn't like yours parents saying an doing to you. An apply that to yours kids. An the most IMPORTANT item is "Always tell them You LOVE them when BAD an GOOD" EVERYDAY.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Congratulations! And my best suggestion is, as other have already given: go slow. As a friend of mine told me when I was expecting my daughter: "whatever happens, whatever you do, don't worry: you'll always get it wrong" :D
Also: March is the best month. Just saying. No reason ;)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Fatherhood has been the greatest experience in my life by far. And yes, enjoy it while you can because children grow so quickly and they amaze you each and every day.
Congratulations!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I was thirty before we had our first born son and 9 years into our marriage. Up to that time my life was mostly focused on my needs and desires as well as my wife's, and my job. To have the introduction of a totally helpless little being into my life was a huge alteration. My son was the central focus of my whole existence, which was something totally new to me. The nights I spent in a rocking chair holding my son close to me until he fell asleep are memories I'll never forget. I wasn't even concerned that I might have to be at work in a few hours. Everything I did was for him.
When he entered his toddler years I got a chance to relive my childhood. I so much enjoyed buying him toys, playing with him and reading to him. I had never been a role model before and realized he was looking up to me for direction in his life.
The real challenges began in middle school and high school as he became his own person. It was a period of separation.
Now my son is an adult and is more of a friend to me. I learn as much from him these days as he does from me.
It's been a real roller coaster ride, exhilarating and terrifying. You truly live his successes and failures.
When you see your newborn for the fist time, you will be changed in an instant. It's not something you can prepare for. Just let it wash over you.
God bless you and your new family!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The kids part is easy. It's how you and mom relate after the big event that really matters. I'd suggest that you read up on post partum depression and hormonal effects on the psyche.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Congratulations, smoke as you normally do and you will be fine, but don't forget to pay extra attention to mom,this might be a bit stressful on her to

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
dude, you will be fine, I have two little ones, being a dad is great!!! but it comes with a lot of sacrifice, keep your cellar stocked, and when the time calls for a pipe, than sit down and enjoy!! welcome to the club, it gets to be fun when there are kids, like tuold said, you get to relive your childhood, right now i get to watch cartoons with my 2 boys, and we go outside to play football and they think that i am the strongest man alive!!! hahahah

shoot we even go to toys r us and buy tons of toys, stuff i wished i had when i was a kid, i think i get more excited then they are when we open the toys.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Congrats.
This is great advice:

"Always tell them You LOVE them when BAD an GOOD" EVERYDAY.
Also as they get older pick your battles and don't sweat the small stuff.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Congrats, just remember you're his Father, not his best friend , this touchy feelie thing makes for a kid that has no boundaries, love em but make them respect you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Congratulations!! Lot of good advice, and a lot of parenting comes naturally, I found. (Though my 30 year old son may disagree.)

Status
Not open for further replies.