PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
None of these is described specifically as aromatic, but an earlier Forums post seemed to express

the opinion that they are all aromatic. I'm taking it that they are not. Is there anyone who can

clarify this? OGS is an old favorite, and some of these, if non-aromtic -- might interest me. No

flavoring or flavoring ingredients are mentioned, or am I missing something?

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I'm particularly interested in the one that's described as an aromatic ribbon cut Virginia with a touch of toasted burley and black cavendish.
Which one was that again?

Oh yeah, all of them. :roll:

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
Somebody must have tried them by now. Enquiring minds want to know!

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014

The only thing wrong with this tobacco is the name.
I've smoked two bowls in two different pipes. Similar smokes from both. Initial impression of this tobacco is that Orlik has a winner here...but for the name.
I believe that Orlik describes this as a classic English blend. If your idea of a classic English blend is something from Dunhill, then you might be disappointed. However, if you think along the lines of a Lakeland blend without the cloying toppings that Gawith adds, then you would be a lot closer to what I think Orlik is trying to achieve.
Before I review the tobacco, back to the name. When I think of racing green, I think of something fast. And this smoke is anything but fast. It's a thoughtful smoke. One that you don't want to rush, as there are subtleties and ranges of flavors that would be overlooked if smoked fast. I think that Orlik might have been better served - if it wants to suggest something English - by selecting the name of something stolid, staid - something we'd all recognize as something very old and very English. But not Racing Green.
It would be easy to view Racing Green as a cross-over blend: for the aromatic smoker who wants to try a VaBur, or for the English smoker who wants to try an aromatic. But I think that would be a simplistic view of the tobacco. And misleading. It is neither a typical mild-topping aromatic nor a typical English blend.
The initial tin note is also misleading. It's quite sweet and strong. At first I thought that perhaps somehow an Orlik tin got into a Mac-Baren assembly line. But as I looked at the tobaccos, they did match what the tin describes:
"A tobacco of high contrasts made partly of Virginia tobaccos from Old Belt in America. On top of this, Burley tobaccos from Mexico and Malawi, and a touch of Black Cavendish is added."
On first light any thought that this is a typical light-topping aromatic is quickly snuffed. Though the sweetness of the Cavendish does come through, the Burleys take center stage - but the Burleys are tempered by the Virginias and the Cavendish. Where most VaBurs are heavy on the Burley from top to bottom, by the first third of the bowl there is a wonderful balance of Virginias and Burleys, with still a hint of Cavendish sweetness. The last third of the bowl lightens rather than darkens (as with both of my smokes) as the Burleys decided to take a backseat to the very smooth and non-biting Virginias.
This is a fine tobacco. At the introductory price being offered at various online sites it's an absolute steal. I think that Orlik has a winner here, but for the name.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014

Mellow Mixture, to my taste buds, is a mild aromatic in the Danish tradition. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this tobacco. But I find it a bit boring. A VaBur heavy on the Virginias and sweet Cavendish - mildly aromatic, with moderate tobacco flavor. Nothing stands out. Where Racing Green is a tobacco that I will smoke, this one sits on the shelf collecting dust. Nothing wrong with it. It just isn't all that much.
That being said, this would make a great introduction to mild aromatics for a new smoker. Better than Lane tobaccos, and with less of a casing, it's well rounded, if not distinctive in any particular way.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks Andy, I may have to add some racing green to my order next month. I don't normally smoke Cavendish sweet blends (except for glen piper).
Anyone try the Club blend?

Mar 1, 2014
-yaddy306
I'm particularly interested in the one that's described as an aromatic ribbon cut Virginia with a touch of toasted burley and black cavendish.
Which one was that again?

Oh yeah, all of them. [:roll:]
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
When I first saw this I was excitedly anticipating an Orlik English blend, you know, like Golden Sliced with Latakia. Sounds great, it should be a natural choice, right? Somehow they managed to make four nearly identical burly/cavendish blends though.

I get the same sort of feeling when browsing through the MacBaren line, even when they describe something as being a dramatic change from the usual, I only find slight variations on the same theme (barring ODF and Seven Seas). I guess this goes to show how strong the "natural" tobacco trend really is, when you can have so many blends with a base so close together.

I'm guessing these are made for people who have been smoking the same blend for several decades already.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I recently got a tin of the Club Mixture and its a pretty decent blend. Its listed as a Virgina, Burly and Black Cavendish blend that is naturally sweet. I've smoked it in a briar and in a cob and I think I preferred it in my briar pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.