PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
First of all, I remember a long thread on here recently about how the packaging from P&C had gone downhill, letting tins clatter around in the box and such. My order was nice and snug.
I took advantage of the Build your Own deal two Thursdays ago and ordered the following:
14o1xcz.jpg

Two pipes:
A Big Ben Classic Line 720
m8im94.jpg

A Vintage Walnut 472
4kjr4m.jpg

A whole bunch of blends I wanted to try:
GL Pease Meridian

GL Pease Odyssey

GL Pease Gaslight

Captain Earle's Diamondhead

3 oz of H&H Magnum Opus!

H&H Blackhouse

H&H Fusilier's Ration

Dunhill 965

MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian
And a few blends to cellar:
Dunhill Nightcap

McClelland Blue Mountain
5pedde.jpg

10df7vc.jpg

5lyk46.jpg

And some accessories:

A couple pipe tools, one bat shaped and one pipe shaped

A whole bunch of pipe cleaners
242v6lt.jpg

The Magnum Opus smells absolutely fantastic!! Some component of the blend immediately reminded me of walking past pipe smokers as a child, I've never smelled it before in another blend..
Lastly, these came in the stems of both pipes, any clue what they are??
nl4bc0.jpg

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
That's called a "stinger". It's designed to condense moisture as the warm smoke passes over the cooler metal. Many like using them, but you're fine to remove it as well - the effect of the stinger ranges from significant to psychosomatic, depending who you ask.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The metal thing is called a stinger, their purpose is to give you a dryer or cooler smoke, but whether they really help is of long debate. Most guys just take them out and put them in a drawer somewhere.

Looks like you got a nice selection of tobaccos to try as well as a couple of nice pipes. I'm fond of bulldogs too.

Jan 8, 2013
Nice haul. That little metal thing is a stinger, or condenser. It is supposed to help keep your smoke dry and cool. The only one I have ever found got thrown away. The shop I bought my pipe from recommended I trash it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm so envious! You have so much enjoyment ahead. If I found rolls or gold coins under the birch tree in my backyard I'd place a similar order =) I can dream though.
One other thing I like about those stingers is they prevent tobacco particles and ash from being drawn into the mouthpiece when you are lighting. I've seen a lot of pipe smokers spit after puffing hard to light. I know they aren't using a stinger or filter in their pipe when I see that.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
If you don't use the stinger save it along with the pipe box and pipe sock etc. If you ever sell the pipe in the future having the original packing and stinger can add additional value.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Thanks for the replies everyone! I honestly thought they were to keep the mortise and tenon from shrinking or something similar during shipping and varying weather conditions.. :lol:

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
shaintiques, this will make 3 bulldogs total. Something about the thicker bowl sidewalls, and the way they feel in my hand has made them my favorite shape so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.