PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Anyone into vinyl records these days? I got back into yet another old hobby and decided to get a new turntable. My old Yamaha is still doing pretty good after a recent belt change but wanted a direct drive turntable and I new Technics were some of the best back in the day. This is the new to me deck I got recently and matching new receiver. Neither have gotten here yet but I look forward to playing around with them.
This is what you can do when you don't have a gal to blow your money own.:)
TechnicsSL-3200jpg_zps591c9844.jpg

T2eC16ZHJGQE9noMbZY2BRKClB5Q60_57_zpsc6e1bc72.jpg

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Those are some gorgeous components. I'm an audiophile by heart, and I also have tons of vinyl--but unfortunately no turntable. My last got destroyed in a move, and I've yet to pick another one up. I'm always on the look out though.
Congratulations on the gear!

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
In the early 80's I bought a shitload of Marantz, quadraphonics, JBL speakers, etc. for around $1,5000. My girlfriends $800.00 Fisher system sounded better.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
There's few places you can find vintage equipment such as this outside of ebay. That's where I found these. Should any of them need repair we have a great old audio repair place here that loves getting in old stuff to work on. In fact, I just got back my old Harmon Kardon receiver the other day as it had been dropping out the left channel for some time. the bias was way off too causing undue heating problems but, they fixed all that. It's as good as new now with all the pots and switches cleaned and lubricated.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very nice. I am not an audiophile, but I can appreciate nice equipment. Brings back memories, that's for sure.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Nice haul! We used to have a really good second-hand audio store here in Denver. When my wife and I went shopping for a "new" stereo system to replace our old all-in-one college units, we wound up buying from them. We brought CDs from our collection in order to test the components, which got us a few funny looks at the more traditional big-box stores, but the guy at the second-hand store was quite positive about it, and enjoyed demonstrating his stock to us using both J.S. Bach organ concertos and a local ska band's demo EP... Good times.
Enjoy the "new" equipment!

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've got all sorts of records from the 60's to the 80's...some maybe late 50's. Everything from classicals to country. I ran across a couple albums by David Sanborn, Sado Watanabe, Grover Washington, Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Artie Shaw, Willie Nelson, Simon and Garfunkle and even an album by Dr. Hook-"Sloppy Seconds":)

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I keep coming back to this page, staring at that turntable. I've got an entire collection of original Led Zeppelin albums gifted by my brother-in-law. They need to be played!
I'm officially on the hunt.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
You can start here.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Record-Players-/48649/i.html
If I were looking again I'd take a close look at this one. Super clean.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHNICS-SL-1400-DIRECT-DRIVE-TURNTABLE-w-SHURE-M95ED-SUPERB-/310606158912?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item485191dc40

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Thank you! I'm looking into it and checking the budget. :D
That would be great if I could start cranking my old vinyls.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I don't know your preferences but I like the Technics turntables followed by Dual(German made). These two, along with Garrard, were the staples back in the late 60's and 70's. Pioneer put out some fine turntables as well. some are manual, like the Technics SL-1200, some are semi auto and others are full auto. You have to read the seller's comments and if he don't say, a little research is in order.
How'd you like to listen to "Whole Lotta Love" on this baby? It's only $9K!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-System-Prime-Mac-240-Mac-C22-Thorens-TD-124-/160977987476?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item257b092794

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Since I didn't own a large LP collection I stuck with cd's, but I did go with a nice tube amp and my DAC has a tube output section. The Golden Age of analog is NOW.
IMG_0213_zps623be13a.jpg

May 31, 2012
I have that exact Marantz rec & I love it, it's solid and the horizontal tuner dial moves like butter.

Yours looks super cherry, congrats!!!! :clap:
tumblr_m9xp085eVT1qe0eclo1_r16_500.gif

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
We spin vinyl here from time to time. A good friend of mine rekindled my fondness for the deep rich sounds & gave me thousands of LP's & 45's to cherry pick from. (they were all duplicates for him) I have a simple Kenwood turn table that is connected with the surround sound system in my film screening room. My turn table was new in the box from the mid 80's until I started using it a couple years ago. And for the old 45's my same friend gave me a Rock-Ola jukebox as well as some other "radio" type equipment.
He is a radio nut :D http://www.kjq.us.com/

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
He is a radio nut [:D] http://www.kjq.us.com/
For sure. I checked out the Antique Radios and the Atwater Kents shown at the top left looks just like my Model 44 as does a couple of the speakers. Everyone has their own thing, don't they? :D
I got the Marantz receiver today and it looks as good as the pics I posted. Moreover, it sounds even better! All switches and controls work and I tried all the inputs in the back, AUX, Tape 1 and 2, Phono, etc...all work great. It sure brings to life some records I have, with a new AT120E cartridge for my old Yamaha the two work wonderful together.

Status
Not open for further replies.