PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onematch

Lurker
Mar 10, 2018
Greetings all,
I'm new to the forum but not to pipes. Bought my first pipe, (a Falcon) in 1974 along with a tin of Velvet. I'm not even sure if Velvet still exists? Even though I've been a smoker for many years my pipe collection if modest at best with 20 in the rotation. Having kids, and later grand-kids to feed and a mortgage to pay seemed more important. That's not a complaint! I'm truly a fortunate and blessed man and would give up a room full of Dunhill's for the memories and love I've gotten in exchange!
Even so, I've been able to experience many different blends of tobacco over the years, and found much enjoyment in the process. I tend to lean more towards aromatic blends and my wife really enjoys the room note they produce, but I also enjoy a good English blend from time to time. I also have in my cellar a couple of house blends from local tobacconist shops that no longer exist. One called State Street from the long defunct "Tobacco Bar" in Madison Wisconsin was one of my favorites for years. I'm glad I still have a little stashed away to dip into now and again.
The pipes I own range from low to middle end. I'm still a big Falcon fan and have two bases and six different bowls for them. I guess I could have counted each bowl as a pipe, but that strikes me as cheating on the count. Others makers I have in the rack include Jobey, Savinelli, Hardcastle, Kaywoodie, Aldo Velani, and and a couple great smoking unknown that I picked up for $35 a piece at a B&M some time ago when they could still be found.
Well, that's enough about me. What about you?

See you in the forums.

Reactions: Deano

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You bought that first pipe the year I was born. And that Velvet is still around. Welcome aboard from Central Kentucky.
pb-vva.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If State Street is a vanilla/caramel aromatic, there's a good chance that it was relabeled 1-Q from Lane Limited which is still available.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glad to welcome you, one match. Hope you jump right into this band of many unique fellas and a couple of gals.
And, where in Illinois, midwestern guy? I grew up in Dwight, ILL, if you have ever heard of it. (Well, even if you didn't, I still lived there! :) )

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. A good resource for finding blends you might like is a place called tobaccoreviews.com. I have used it successfully for years finding new blends to try. A couple of the most prolific reviewers on that site are jiminks and pipestud. Both are long time members here, and I have found their reviews to be very helpful.

onematch

Lurker
Mar 10, 2018
WOW! What a wonderful welcome form you all.

Thank you for the suggestions also, I'll check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.