PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I ordered from a new Neerup pipe and just got it in. I was excited to open the box only to find that it won't pass a pipe cleaner, not even close. It only has a slight bend, not the issue. I seems that it is poorly drilled. Anyone have this experience. Maybe there is something that I don't know about how the Neerup's are constructed and maybe this is something that is machined into the pipe? At any rate, you can see that the draw hole at the bottom of the bowl has a "tit" over the hole, looks like it just wasn't drilled right? Does anyone got any ideas before I send this back for refund/replacement? Thanks.
(This is not meant to be trashing Neerups, I've wanted one for a long time. Just not sure about firing this one up.)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Some makers use a finer bit so,they can cut the button slimmer. Go to your local Hobby Lobby or Michaels and buy the white hobby chenille pipe cleaners. They will fit down any hole.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Could you post a picture of the problem? I am not quite sure I understand your description.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Shaintiques, this is more than just a pipe cleaning issue, although it is part of the situation. I don't think even the smallest/slickest pipe cleaner would pass through to the bowl.
Buroak, I don't think that I can take a pic of that. I'm good with the camera but it is really not shootable.
The draw on the pipe is very tight (not smoked, just sucked air through it).
You can see, at the bottom of the bowl, where the air hole comes into the bowl, a "tit" of wood covering a good portion of the hole. I'm sure this is the problem. If this was a cheap pipe, I would take a small drill bit and "ream" it out but being a $120 pipe, not sure I should do this???? I really like the pipe but sure would like to have a pipe that would pass a pipe cleaner and have a good draw.
Hope this helps explain it. I bought it from one of the main companies here on this forum and I am sure they will refund me but I just HATE to send it back and wait weeks to get the transaction corrected.
Any thoughts on this? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks fellow puffers !!!

They just want you to post a picture of your pipe's tit, ha ha!

Yeh, sounds like a factory faux pas. Of course "expensive" is relative, but I would just finish the hole with a drill bit in a small pin-vice. Don't use a drill. Some briar can be like butter when you start drilling, and it's easy to just shoot the bit out the bottom of the pipe.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Maybe there is a shrapnel of wood lodged somewhere before the bowl..? :?:

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I have a pen vise and will attempt to use it. But if I alter it, warranty is voided. I think I will get a small bit and see if it will pass through, then go from there on what to do. I just tried to work a pipe cleaner through it last night and it won't go.... so more looking and checking tonight after work.
Blessings to all you guys.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Good luck. I think I know what you are describing. I have seen pipes in which the bowl drilling left a nipple (or "tit") of briar sticking up from the bottom of the bowl. I have never seen an example where that obstructed the draw. Whether you try to fix the pipe or send it back, you will have made the right decision.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks for all the info and help. I will see what my gutt tells me tonight when I get home. Blessings to all. I'll post what I do.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have one Neerup pipe which I've had for about 5 months and it's a great burner. Seeing that you didn't smoke it I would simply return it. However, if it's a style of pipe that you really love and you feel that you can rectify the problem easily then go for it. Either way... good luck and I hope it all works out well for you.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
My neerups are great, I have no probkems. And I learned my lesson the hard way to not use a drill on a pipe. Put a hole in my nording freehand. All patches Have been unsuccessful :(

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Yep, Phil and Murf, the thing to do is pack it up and send it back.... but I wanna get a better look at it, then make the call. But you are probably 100% right.
Believe me Murf, no electric drill will come close to this pipe. LOL I can see how one could get away from you on a Briar. 8O

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Great news guys !!! I had a long drill bit that was perfect size. I gently rotated it through the air channel and cleared it out. Looks like it was just not "finished" properly. The little "tit" came loose and it cleared the pipe air channel perfectly. I fired it up and it smoked great. I'm a happy camper.

On it being an "expensive" pipe. I know it's not in the great scheme of things but for me, a pipe over $100 is expensive. I've found that just because you put $hundreds$ of dollars on the cost of a pipe doesn't always mean it will be a great smoker, many times its the cost of the "art". I respect that but I want a good smoker and I'm hoping this will be a great edition to my growing collection.

Ya'll have a blessed weekend. :)

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
My Neerup is smoking great. Taking some time to get it broken in, but it's turning into one of my fav pipes ! :puffy:

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I was also thinking of a Neerup and will probably jump. I had one pipe that had this same problem and fied it the same way.
Congrats on the new pipe and glad it worked out for you.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
The Neerup is definitely a great pipe, Zito. You will love it. I will prob add another. :)

:puffpipe:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good to hear it was a simple fix and that you are enjoying your new pipe. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hurrah, hotshot. Sometimes disappointment is only temporary, and that's the best. That pipe is expensive enough, he said, about to fire up his twenty-something-dollar Kaywoodie Saxon briar with some MacB Modern Virginia.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Just purchased a cheap Italian churchwarden from my local B&M. Really liked the shape.It smoked so well I went back and picked up the other pipe I had debated on in the original purchase. Got the second pipe home and smoked it. It did not draw well. I could not get a beveled pipe cleaner through the bit, and a churchwarden cleaner would not clear the area from the tenon end. The bit was very thin and the blockage was right in the bend. I decided instead of voiding a warranty for a change, I would just take it back. The employee at he B&M fussed and tried everything I had already attempted. He was irritated, but finally told me to take another pipe.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
okiescout, glad they finally made you happy on the deal. Good deal !

Status
Not open for further replies.