PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
We bought a new house out in the country, and first thing I needed was a couple mutts. We watched the local Shelter for awhile until one pup caught our attention. He was about 3 months old when we adopted him in December. No telling what he is, best guess is Shepherd and Heeler but for sure that's not all. He's been a perfect dog, easy to please, rides in the truck for hours without a peep, takes commands pretty well, friendly to everyone but always has an eye and ear out for what goes on in Daddies yard. Even when he sleeps, every little while he picks his head up and does a little survey of the kingdom.
We named him Bois d'arc (bo-darc). Here is the Shelter pic; the fuzzy head and cross on his chest caught our attention.

A month or so after he came home; The kangaroo is no longer with us..

His true love is chewing sticks, the bigger the better.

Making sure a Squirrel minds his manners.

Well now he is a little older and really wanted a buddy so we've been watching intakes at the Shelter. I have a long list of breeds I'm interested in and Pmon made sure that Catahoula Curs were on that list. So I watched close when a pregnant Catahoula mix came in the shelter. She was adopted and went to a Foster home while she had the puppies and weaned the litter. Well I don't know what daddy looked like, but I'm guessing he was St. Bernard from the looks of the litter, but about half of them showed Catahoula leopard spots.
We picked this little rugrat. She's smart as a whip, just a little mischievous and brave as the day is long.

She has just a few spots on her, but I expect they'll darken up over time. I see a touch of the Catahoula glass eye in her too. I figure whatever she comes from, she is going to fit in perfect out here in the woods, her and Bo-darc were fast friends.
Wife named her Sassafras

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice! A couple of great looking friends you have there. I couldn't imagine life without a dog in it. :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
7231389C-A609-41E2-8A02-9E3EBBD20AD2-47867-000058837672AB81_zps1b154a72.jpg
. PMon says hello and loves those two. Mighty fine countryside Ryan and lovely friends.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Ryan,
Great additions to the family! Anyone who has been thru puppydom knows that kangaroo didn't stand a chance of making it! Beautiful dogs; both! Give them good feed and good health care and they will be your constant companions for many years to come.
My Traveller says "Hi" to Bo-darc & Sassafras!

HuTQeOE.jpg

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Here are my 2 Kids, Kaine and Tank. Kaine (9yrs old) is a pure breed Great Dane and Tank (4yrs old) is a Dane/Mastiff mix and weights 200 pounds.

img_1294-600x448.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm a sucker for dogs! If Gracie didn't have so many medical issues, I'd have a house full. Great looking animals!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thanks guys, loved seeing the pics ! I guess Sassi has more of a Catahoula shape to the face then I thought, looking at Traveller and Pmon again. Gonna be a wider muzzle maybe but the same fat lips.

Dulgunz, I was looking hard at big breeds, but in the end we just wanted a good farm dog that would enjoy the land out here and bark when somebodies at the gate. Bo-darc is about 45 lbs with just a bit of growing left, but he is a scrappy little mutt. Sassafras is going to outgrow him, but I'm betting she'll be 60-70 lbs tops. They both ride well, and are easy to drag along so they go about everywhere we do. That's harder to do with the 170 lb Ridgebacks we almost brought home!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy, those little pooches are in dog heaven, plenty of room, lots of critters to chase, and good people to attend them. They've won the dog lottery. Cute little devils too!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nothing like a puppy to make you smile.
Enjoy the heck out of them and be sure to spoil them rotten! :mrgreen:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Haha, Thanks guys !

Mso, you're right. I feel like we won the lottery finding this awesome place to live, might as well share the wealth .

Graydawn, I can't imagine life without any of them !

Status
Not open for further replies.