PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I just received and had my first smoke in a Mr Brog pearwood "#3 Boxer." Wow! You can really taste and smell the sweetness of the pearwood.
a9tw5y.jpg

I've smoked pearwood pipes before (from Ukraine), but this Mr Brog (for only $25, through Amazon) is a truly unique experience. Colour me impressed!

Jul 15, 2011
Thats a nifty looking little pipe. I keep telling myself Im going to snag myself a Brog someday, but it is going to be a while because I just pulled the trigger on my first Mario Grandi. Just out of curiosity, is the break in any easier/more difficult/relatively the same as a briar pipe?

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"Just out of curiosity, is the break in any easier/more difficult/relatively the same as a briar pipe?"
Too early to tell, PN, but I'll say this, it's the sweetest first smoke I've had in any pipe so far. I filled it with the mildest aromatic I could lay my hands on, that being MacBaren's Vanilla Cream (NOT the flake, the loose cut) and the sweetness I'm getting has a distinctly pear characteristic.

Jul 12, 2011
When I started carving I practiced on olive, pistachio , apricot ,

etc...loved working with it and of course "smoking it" ;-)

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Mr Brog has a special place in my heart, my very first pipe that I bought at the age of 16 was Mr Brog. At that time, I still lived in Poland so made and bought in Poland...no matter what I will hold on to it as something that will remind me my motherland:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
thesmokingdragon, a post about non-briar wood, giving a little detail and smoking characteristics,

would be of interest to a number of Forums members, I think.
Meantime, that is an attractive pipe, taking advantage of the simplicity of the shaping to give it

a really hefty, pleasing look. Please let us know how it unfolds.

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
I like the look of the "natural" pearwood. Wonder if it will darken with use and age the way briar does.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Okay, I always ask this question when I see a new Mr. Brog pipe, 4dotsasieni how big is the bowl on the pipe? I ask because it is had to tell from the pictures and Mr. Brog does not always give a dimension when they post a pipe. The pipe you just got is one that I want to bid on.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"How big is the bowl"? Bigger than it looks - I can get most of my thumb in it - which makes it about a Dunhill #3 size bowl. It was advertised as giving a 50 minute smoke.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Interesting to hear, I have a Mr.Brog lumberjack in the mail right now and cant wait for its arrival!

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Thanks for the information. That sounds like the size bowl I like in my pipes. I have an Amigo and a Kentucky that both I think have about the same diameter bowl on them. I also have a Billiard and I find the bowl to be a little on the small size.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have number four on the way and hopefully will win and ebay bid for number five this weekend. We will have to see how the auction goes.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
I have an Amigo and a Kentucky that both I think have about the same diameter bowl on them.
Hey, same here! These two styles, at least, seem to have a decent bowl volume. I really really like them both (although the amigo seems to have a narrowing of the stem right at the mouthpiece) and they both smoke great to me. This most recent one, however, i chose to take a little sandpaper to the bowl, getting rid of the bowl treatment. For the coin, you really can't help but gamble on one, right? o)

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is a nice looking pipe. Any idea what the draft hole size Mr. Brog uses for their pipes?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Chris I"smoking my Scoot with Cap Blue, don"t have my drill bits out but a large fluffy goes in real easy, maybe a tad under 5/32, Sean yes the taste of the Pearwood goes away after a few smokes.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for the info Bradley. I like the 5/32 a lot. They probably use metric bits so it may be a 3.5mm which is a hair smaller than 5/32. Sounds like a nice draw though.

Status
Not open for further replies.