PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I cannot say just how happy enough I am with my new MM Dagner Poker. I have been wanting a poker for a while now, but having spent a huge wad of dough on my meerschaum a couple of months ago, I just wanted to get my fix without over doing it, so I decided to get the MM Dagner Poker. It's a fantastic little number. I haven't had a poker or a nose warmer yet, so this was entirely new, but I love this little guy. Well, it ain't little since it holds enough tobacco for a good hour smoke, just short, I reckon. I've also wanted a sitter for a while and thought my Sleepy Hollow tobacco needed a poker to burn in.
I also purchased a tin of G.L. Pease Gaslight because I've had it on my list for far too long and never pulled the trigger. Once I got them in at lunch, I popped the top and inhaled all that delicious smelling latakia and spicy oriental. I'm so in love with English blends that they just excite me when I catch a whiff. I pulled out a portion of the cake and sliced it with my pocket knife and rubbed it out on my drying plate. I figured eating before puffing on this gut punch of a blend might be a good strategy. I was right...I ate and filled my new Dagner Poker with the slightly drier bits of magic laying on my plate. I took it outside and lit her up...
20181024_135646-389x600.jpg

Wow...those latakia and orientals hit me pretty much on the first few puffs. It was fantastic! I got the sweetness from the Virginias as they tied the latakia and orientals together. It's very latakia forward and I'm perfectly okay with that. I smoked it all the way down on the first light without a problem whatsoever and loved every minute of it. It was so relaxing that now I just want a nap, but alas, more work to be done before that can happen. This one really feels akin to Maltese Falcon to me, just maybe not quite as creamy, but still just as delicious. Took me about an hour to smoke the bowl, with a few dangling bits at the bottom that won't ever get smoked, but that's okay. It was a good way to kick off my afternoon in a more relaxed fashion after the week I've had so far. I look forward to my next bowl, possibly later this evening. It'll certainly make you want lay down and watch the back of your eyelids. :puffy:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Very nice! I have a couple Dagner rejects from MM I picked up in person. Solid smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like my Dagner MM poker. Good big bowl on a compact pipe with a durable acrylic stem. Such a handy, friendly little pipe.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Congrats on the new pipe! I have a MM Dagner Poker my son gave to me as a gift for doggie-sitting while he went on a fishing trip. I usually smoke my Rattray's Exotic Passion in it. I'm not a big fan of cobs...I like this one though.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
What's up with the beard? You don't look like a pirate anymore. Did they make you walk the plank?

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I've got a custom MM General which is similar to the Dagner, being a poker with a nice sized bowl. I'm smoking it as I type with a nice Stokkebye aro. This one has a custom made acrylic stem with a slight bend. One of my favorite pipes.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks! I really do like it! It's going to be getting a good dose of some Sleepy Hollow here as soon as I finish this reply.
What's up with the beard? You don't look like a pirate anymore. Did they make you walk the plank?
Bill had this new fangled pair of kitchen shears he concocted for the galley and he wanted to "try them out". So he says to me, CCW? I got this new thing I want to try out in the galley, but I ain't too sure it'll work. Here, hold my cleaning fluid rum whilst I cut up this here mess of onions."
Dumb ol' me said "Sure! Give her a spin!" He commenced to hacking and whacking them onions like you wouldn't believe and when all the dust had settled, I was missin' most of my beard clean up through the middle.....No more rum for him for the next month. :rofl:

Jan 8, 2013
Somebody ripped off the chin portion of your beard! 8O
It was a good way to kick off my afternoon in a more relaxed fashion after the week I've had so far.
Hear, hear, brother. The pipe is therapy to me after a rough day, in a rough week.
That's a nice looking cob. Enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.