PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Really pleased with my MM Cob. Was surprised at how well it smokes. Discarded the filter.
Just wondering if you have to let a cob rest like a briar?
Thanks

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats ... they are great smokers! :puffy:
Cobs are pretty resilient and can even be all-day smokers.
Just be sure to always clean it well after smoking and give them a day to dry.

May 4, 2015
Nah! I let mine cool long enough to fill it up again! Only risky bit really is moisture at the bottom getting the cob soggy, but you've got a hardwood plug so you should be fine.
I'm of the mind briar doesn't need rested as much as everyone says either, but that's a story for another thread. ;)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Best way to settle the issue? Buy a bunch of 'em. I've got about 20. The General and the Wizard are real nice for a long smoke too.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
The only issue I have with it so far is that the stem is loose.

I folded up a pipe cleaner as small as I could and soaked it in water and stuffed it in the shank for a few hours.

That tightened it up some.
I agree with Tom. I don't think any of these pipes including my briars are as fragile as a lot of people claim them to be. They're pipes. Stuff em and smoke em.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Best way to settle the issue? Buy a bunch of 'em. I've got about 20. The General and the Wizard are real nice for a long smoke too.
My wife told me if I bought one more *ucking pipe she would cut my nuts off, dry them out, drill them with a chamber drill, drill an air hole, stuff a straw in each air hole and then sell them on Ebay as a set and call them Eunuch pipes. :puffy:

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
My loose stems tightened up over time, so I figure yours will, too. Some I've gotten where the stem seemed to fit initially got damn tight over time!
I feel (and possibly imagine) that mine smoke a little cooler if I let them dry for a couple of hours between smokes, but I've never heard anyone recommend resting them for extended times.
Enjoy!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I really like my MM Country Gentleman pipe too and their tobacco blend with the same name is quite good also. :puffy:

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
My favorite cob is the CG, a great smoker. As far as multiple bowls go, load it up, I have not had any problems with one bowl after the other.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Smoking a CG with Mississippi River as I type this as they just seem to go hand in hand.

No doubt that cobs are resilient, but I always give mine a rest as I don't like them soaking up too much moisture. Of course if ya only got one or two... don't be overly concerned about it. As for giving briars a lengthy rest I personally think it's overblown a tad, but as you accumulate pipes (I've never had all that many) it's only natural that each pipe will get a decent enough rest when you have many to choose from. As for the filters... toss them. Just an unnecessary screw in the machinery that serves no purpose and something else to be concerned about, purchased and changed on a regualr basis.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I tossed the filter.

I ordered myself a Bent Diplomat and a few extra stems from 4noggins. At just under 9 bucks for the pipe and 0.89 cents for each stem, heck, I figured I can't go wrong.

Smoking a bowl of Dunhill My Mixture 965 in my garage and watching a thunderstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.