Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   
[sticky]

New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1612 posts)
  1. roguefox

roguefox

Login to Send PM

Haha they are coming soon Spartan. I have a new pipe on the way so that's an excellent excuse to do two things I love: show off and people watch! dlrayrn, would it be possible to get a link to that research?? I'd love to do the same thing you did and show it off.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jobacco

jobacco

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    im a new pipe smoker from Canada (Montreal).
    I went to Blatter and Blatter to get my first pipe, a Genod.
    I know its a shame that i went to Blatter and Blatter and havent got a Blatter pipe, but i wanted something not expensive to start with and the Genod was one of them.
    So far i smoke pipe since last saturday, and today, 4 days later i see a big improvement in the way i smoke and the taste my pipe haves.
    Theres a cake thingy going on also so i guess i did it right.
    Looking forward to read you guys.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi I'm Gunnar Iv been smoking since January, I'm 18 Some of my other Hobbies include fishing shooting flying radio control airplanes camping mountain biking etc. I play trumpet and I'm learning guitar. I plan on enlisting in the marine corps by the end of this year. I have a YouTube channel as well where I perticipate in the pipe smoking community there.

Cheers
    Gunnar

You can buy education, but wisdom is a gift from God.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

joeluka

Login to Send PM

Hello all my new Brothers-of-the-Leaf. My Name is Joe and I have been a cigar smoker for 20 years but fell in love with my Pipes and that wonderful Pipe tobacco about4-5 years ago. I hope to become a part of this community.

I live on Looooooooong Island as so many like to say but that means I'm lucky to be in driving distance of so many great tobacco shops, I'm usally able to get a good share of some great tobaccco's.

There are some blends I need help getting a hold of so please to go to Tobaccocellar.com/joeluka and see if you my want to do some trading and stuff.

PM me all you guys want. I am here to work with u guys, so trading is cool and I will be happy to pick up and mail any of you guys anything I can get.

Looking forward to being a member here.

Joe Lukaszewski

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

cegjay

Login to Send PM

Hello all! I'm Jay from Philadelphia and probably know a bunch of you guys from another forum. Heard a lot about PM so wanted to stop by and introduce myself. Been a pipe guy for about a year now. Love sports and love photography. Hope to chat again soon.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. grizzly86

grizzly86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone. Just started back on the pipe December of 2011. I originally gave it a try when I was 18, but was too much of a pain cause I've worked some dirty jobs. Moved to cigs and then dip. Luckily my brother sent me a pipe for Christmas and it got me back in to it. Also trying out the tins instead of just the house blends so I have been really enjoying myself.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good evening all........
    I'm beyond new as I'm looking for my first pipe. looking for advice.
    Background-
    Smoke - occasional cigar on the golf course or in evening. smoking some cigars seems like a full time job. Love the first 20-30 minutes then need a rest....
    Drink - Gin, Scotch, Whiskey (all neat) and dry full body wines. flavor, flavor,flavor.
    Hobbies - Motorcycle (BMW 1200GS Adv.), home brewer, flyfishing and the internet.

I've learned more on the forums over at advrider.com about biking than 20 years of experience which is why i'm reaching out in this form for the expertise. My local smoke shop is a bit too snoody.

I know i'm ordering Savinelli just don't know which one....
    I also need help with tobacco, the mechanics are all over the net.

Looking forward to the advise, which unlike some others, I WILL heed.

Cheers,

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. beewrangler2

beewrangler2

Login to Send PM

Hello All,
    Long time pipesmoker here,been smoking pipes now since 1982. My love for pipes, and I think my earliest recollection of pipe smokers took place in elementary school. The genteman that delivered the school's milk was a pipe smoker, and it seemed like on every delivery, he would cart milk with his hand truck, and have that well worn pipe hanging from his mouth and the aroma would waft through the school building. ( You gotta remember this was around 1970 or so) You talk about a smell based memory, it sure does take me back. I guess pipe smoking fits my persona, as I am also a side-line beekeeper and we have a saying that beekeepers are a slow and deliberate lot, and I think it marries well with pipe smoking and vice versa. I enjoy mainly English blends (although the better half likes me more when I am puffing on some autumn evening or Pipe Works and Wilke Maple Cavendish). I have a soft spot for Danish Freehands, and enjoy most of my smoke thru a Nording, Bjarne or Ben Wade. But that's not to say I haven't been eyeing some of our domestic free hand artists. Planning a road trip to Boswell's this summer and enjoy taking Amtrak (another vice) from here in mid-Michigan to Chicago for my annual visit to Iwan Ries's. I am enjoying the fine reading on here as well as the articles on the home page.
    Watch your top knot,
    Bill

Professional Bee Handler, If you see me running, you should follow.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. morse

morse

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I've been reading this forum for a a month or so but realized that I had never really introduced myself. I am relatively new to pipe smoking - about 9 months or so. I tried a couple of times in college but never really got the hang of it. Intent on producing those huge plumes of smoke I thought were the object of the exercise, I just ended up burning my tongue and eventually gave up. This time around, I am having much better luck. I have a small collection of briars (7) and 1 recently purchased IMP meer (a revelation I have to say) and while I still prefer aromatics have made the occasional foray in to VaPers and Orientals.

Anyhow I am looking forward to getting to know everyone - I think I see some familiar faces already.

Cheers

Morse

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

welcome to you all! im still new here myself but i gotta say that everyone is friendly and will help you with any questions you have, just ask. this site is great!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good day gents, long time pipe smoker been lurking for a month reading posts and thought it was time I jumped in.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

slowpuffer

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. Thought I'd go ahead and register as I just found this site and am very impressed by the forums. I've been a pipe smoker for over seven years and there isn't anything I enjoy more than a briar bowl full of fine tobacco. I look forward to hanging out in this community!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. jp12

jp12

Login to Send PM

Hi all. As many before me have said, I've been reading the forum for a while and figured it was time to join up and maybe even contribute to the discussions. Cheers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

nfein419

Login to Send PM

Well after lurking about for a week now slowly reading up on the questions I have it seemed proper to sign up and to contribute where I can.

New to pipe smoking, only about year into this hobby.....lifestyle.... addiction(?!). Certainly still trying to find my own way of doing things, I am very much appreciating all the posts that deal with beginner tips and I will no doubt find myself asking some questions as things progress.

I look forward to getting to know you folks as time progresses.

-Nathan

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight."

~~General James Gavin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. knightmare

knightmare

Login to Send PM

Howdy Everyone!

I've been smoking my pipe for a few years now on and off, but I never really looked for online communities and what not. I was inspired to look for places to buy tobacco online and I found pipes magazine. A great collection of information, reviews and everything in between.

"May I smoke my pipe as well?"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

spiker

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. Relatively new to the experience, bought my first pipe about 6 months ago. A nice (IMO) Italian H.I.S. briar that I found at a pipe shop in Nashville IN. I messed around with a pipe around ten years ago but gave it up quickly. Now 40 years old and much more patient, I really enjoy an evening smoke sitting on the patio 2-3 times a week. Found the site looking for tips and tricks of the trade and immediately noticed both the camaraderie and the willingness to help out the "new guys" in the posts in the forums. I just purchased a used copy of The Ultimate Pipe Book, and coupled with the knowledge I hope to glean from all the old pros here, I'm looking forward to enjoying my new gentleman's pastime. Thanking all in advance.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members. PM is full of good info and friendly folks. Enjoy!

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. goalee1

goalee1

Login to Send PM

Greetings all. Signed up a little while ago and realized I've never introduced myself. I'm Tak originally from Chitown, now in DC. Long time cigar smoker(25+years). One of the FOGs from Cigarfamily. I'm basically brand new to pipes and pipe tobacco so this place has been a great place to learn. There are pipe threads on a few cigar forums I'm regular on but nothing really in detail and its really sporadic. I can see that this hobby is very similar to cigars in that there is a genuine brotherhood, always a lot to learn and of course the ongoing acquisition of tobacco and pipes-this may be really bad for me as cigars were hard enough. Being a chef, I don't' have a ton of free time so my free time is taken up with working out and cigars-now pipes as well. Being new to the game, I've tried a couple of house blends from my B&M in DC. I definitely prefer non aromatics with pretty straight forward tobacco blends, probably being a cigar smoker, though that can always change lol. Getting more into pipes started recently when I fell in love with a Ser Jacopo delecta with a rustic finish. I also have a couple of Savinelli's, an academia 628 and a miele 677. Looking forward to hopping on the train and see where it takes me. G1

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

scottbtdmb

Login to Send PM

Hi fellow "brothers",
    Just wanted to introduce myself as this is my first day on this wonderful site. My name is Scott, I am 31 years old, and hail from Maryland. I have been smoking a pipe for just over three years and thoroughly enjoy the peace, relaxation, camaraderie, and brotherhood that this hobby affords. In the way of pipes, I collect old GBD's, Caminettos, Castellos, Estellas, and some of the modern Italian pipes (Radice, Posella, Ardor, etc). I primarily smoke English and Virginia based blends and some of my favorites include Samuel Gawith Full Va Flake, Gawith&Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye, Gawith&Hoggarth Coniston Cut Plug, Hearth&Home Larry's Blend, Gawith&Hoggarth Balkan Mixture, Sherlock Holmes' VR Blend, Solani Aged Burley Flake, and many many more!!! Currently, I belong to two pipe clubs, one of which is the Chesapeake Pipe Club out of Baltimore and the other is The Harford County Pipe Club which I am the president of. I am also on several other online forums, including Brothers of the Briar, Smoker's Forum, alt.pipes, and now this one. I look forward to seeing familiar faces from the other boards, as well as meeting lots of new folks (that is why I join as many forums as possible!)

Take care,
    Scott

P.S. I loaded pics of my collection which can be found here: http://pipesmagazine.com/members/scottbtdmb/album

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

bakerbrett741

Login to Send PM

I just purchased 2 vintage briar pipes from e bay. I am 30 and have been making my own cigarettes with a top machine and tubes. Why not try a pipe. I purchased Blender's Gold Toasted Cavendish. I can't wait untill the pipes arrive this week so I can give it a try. The pipes at the lower end tobacco store looked terrible. The stems looked like they were glued in place and would fall appart, that is why I desided to purchase a vintage pipe from e bay. Any types of tobacco that I should try (im on a fixed income remember)? I don't think that the tobacco store in my town carries flake.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. kyletheaviator

kyletheaviator

Login to Send PM

Hey all,
    I've been tearing through the wealth of knowledge here on the forums for a few months now, and to finally decided to join! I
    20 years old, I got my first pipe in September of last year and I've been going strong since.
    I guess i started because I've always loved the prestige and sophistication that pipe smokers have. It's an art, not just a fix like cigarettes.

Anyhow I look forward to chatting with all of you in the future!

-Kyle

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. barkar

barkar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

Just joining this evening and have been reading some of the topics.
    I am Canadian but don't hold that against me ;-).
    I have several pipes I use on a regular basis, briar's and cobs.
    My go to combo when I want to sit back and reflect on the days events is Captain Black in a Cob.

Barkar

Keep your stick on the ice!....Barry....
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

mistershearer

Login to Send PM

I'm a 28 year old American who has been living and working in the South Korean countryside for three years. Though I first tried pipes several years ago, I did not get seriously into the hobby until last summer, when I happened upon a pipe shop while on vacation in Belgium. I now have a sizable collection (about 26 pipes in my possession as of right now) and am a member of the Seoul pipe community.

Having followed Pipes Magazine for some time, I finally joined it, because I have spent a little over six months waiting on my MacQueen pipes, dealing with that company's horrendous customer service, and I feel the need to get the word out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I am 42 year old dad of two daughters (6 and 2) in a boring technical field. My wife has the glamour job (poet and writer), I just pay the bills. I live in Northern Virginia (Falls Church) a few miles outside of Washington DC where I work and am a US citizen and resident.

I first started smoking pipes when I worked in Germany from 1993 through 1996. I got my first pipe (Lorenzo Vicenza Spitfire) which I still have at the Frankfurt am Main train station, first tobacco was Sweet Dublin. I marveled over the amazing Dan Pipe catalog and gradually acquired pipes. Then I came back to the United States (Athens, Georgia) in 1996 for graduate school and really started smoking pipes and drinking tea in earnest because I lived alone and studied a lot. At my peak, I may have smoked 8 to 10 bowls a day. Then in 2000/01, I started working and could only smoke at night. Still I had about 35 pipes, including a calabash, meerschaum, and a Bonfiglioli which I got after visiting the pipe maker in Italy.

Then in 2004 I got married, had kids, bought a house and started working longer hours and it got much harder to smoke. For a few years in the mid 2000s I may have only smoked at the CORPS pipe show in Richmond. Alas, my situation has improved a bit and I have some more free time and taking up the briar again.

Fortunately I have about 35 pipes, many of which I had dedicated to certain blends (Vaper, VA, English, aromatics). While I generally remember which pipes took which tobacco, whatever ghosting may have occurred is pretty much moot with certain pipes some of which I have not smoked for 10+ years. It is fun to be able to take this up again, I feel a bit like I fell asleep for 10 years from my hobby and am only just awakening again. There have been so many new developments I had not heard of (like GL Pease tobaccos) and I like learning some of the internet terminology like ghosting and Vaper.

Since my occupation is so mentally demanding, in my limited free time besides pipe smoking I mainly enjoy physical pursuits (training with kettlebells and biking) and culinary things like whisky and cooking. After lurking for a bit I look forward to joining.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. waznyf

waznyf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone my name is Francis. I am entirely new to pipe smoking but it's not my first time smoking anything. I'm freshly 18 but I've been smoking cigarettes for a long time along with other things. After drug abuse issues, I decide the only bad habit I had to rid myself of was cigarettes. Pipe smoking seemed interesting and pretty damn sophisticated and best of all I DON'T HAVE TO INHALE! To be honest I don't know much about pipes and I'm stil trying to learn more through many websites. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this community and I'm hoping it will help me grow as a pipe smoker and enjoy it more. I would hate for my lack of knowledge to keep me from continuing the art. This community will most likely be my main source of interaction with pipe smokers as I am friends with only one other user and our local tobacco shoppe is usually filled with cigarette and cigar smokers. I feel as it pipes are a dead art where I'm from.
    As of right now I only have a cheap plastic pipe that was $20 from the tobacco shoppe, and although it probably doesn't provide the best smoke it will hold my over until some of my briar woods come in online (I don't really like the selection of wood pipes my tobacco shopper has to offer). I'll post more pictures of my collection as it grows and hopefully I'll meet some great people along the way. Don't let me get discouraged if I find it hard to get used to! Keep encouraging me to stick with it! I really want the pipe to replace cigarettes and I sure as hell don't want to leave tobacco behind as it is really enjoyable.
    With that I bid you all farewell for now but I'll be online a lot tryin to learn more about pipes!

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. carlosviet

carlosviet

Login to Send PM

Hi, I am Carlos; from Spain, but living in Vietnam. I have been living in different countries for the past 10 years, smoking cigars mostly and pipes and nargile occasionally. Although in Vietnam pipe tobacco and pipe smoking is almost non existent, I discovered in the antiquities shop many super-cheap Dunhill pipes from the Indochina times so I loaded myself with pipe tobacco that I keep in the wine cellar and after restoring the Dunhills I became a full time pipe smoker, adding usually a pipe as souvenir and half kilo pipe tobacco in every trip I make.

I don't care much about the pipe brand or material, but I have a really strong preference for billiard shaped ones as light as possible. My ideal pipe is a billiard, 19-20mm bowl diameter, and less than 30g. So far, only the Dunhills have been able to fulfill it.

One of the things I love from pipe smoking coming from cigars, is its hobby element. I can't resist buying any tamper, poach, pipe rack, lighter or anything that come to my sight.

I smoke 4 bowls a day, always with a drink (coffee, tea, beer, wine, or spirits), and I like to play trying to match the tobacco to the drink. As a sommelier, I find that matchmaking of the right tobacco to the right drink fascinating. Because of that, I switch from aromatics to plain tobacco flakes easily.

Hope to read you around.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

fubar

Login to Send PM

Servus (helo) to everyone!

I'm Alex from Germany (Franconia) and I started smoking pipes by end of 2010. Am smoking pipes just occasionally (once or twice a week) but I really love it.
    Please accept my apologies for having such bad language skills but this community could of course help me improving them.

Would love to make many friends here

Best,
    Alex

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. barkar

barkar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great to have you fubar...welcome

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

fubar

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for that very warm welcome, Barkar

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

roberts

Login to Send PM

Hello, I'm Robert. I don't normally sign up for this sort of thing, but I saw that Albert Einstein was missing from the historic pipe smokers, and this was a day after I completed a pencil drawing of the guy holding a pipe, so I thought I would sign up and mention it.

I first tried smoking a pipe years ago, but was probably too young to sit still that long. My grandfathers and pops all smoked, all are gone now and I think I had to reach a certain point of maturity before I could take it up.

I find it interesting that the styles I am drawn to have changed. Then I wanted smooth and straight pipes. Now I'm much more interested in the rusticated and sandblast finishes, especially with organic looking bowls - the prince, apple, tomato, egg and brandy shapes all catch my eye. If I recall I leaned towards the virginia and mild spectrum of tobaccos. Maybe that's changed too. Pouring through the designs, looking for tools to get away from the cigs, curious to consider making my own pipe at some point.

They say that Western culture doesn't know much about having a contemplative life, but I think the pipe is a good example to the contrary.

R.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. checotah

checotah

Login to Send PM

Howdy, y'all. Don't have a lot to tell. Started smoking a pipe in my freshman year of college, been at it off and on for almost 50 years. First tobacco was Cherry Blend, 'cuz the girls all loved the aroma. After about 3 months, it became way too sweet for me, changed over to the Burley and Burley/Virginia blends: Edgeworth, Sir Walter Raleigh, occasionally Half & Half. Those were the main-stream pipe tobaccos of the day. Experimented with some Cavendish, (and other stuff, did inhale, unlike one of our recent Presidents), but kept returning to the Burleys. Early 80's stumbled across an English mixture at a Tender Box store, and been smoking English/Balkan/Latikia blends ever since. Keep some Carter Hall and My Own Blend around for the occasional step back into the Burley.

As far as pipes, prefer the bents to the straights at this point, although I went through a lot of bits on several of my straights back when I smoked in the office (many years ago, when Bilbo was still a kid).

Joined a couple months back, but am not much to post, so this is a foray outside the norm.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. ruraldean

ruraldean

Login to Send PM

Hi

I'm Paul, signing in from Bristol, England.

I'm ruraldean just about everywhere in the pipe world and I moderate over at tampandpuff.com. I started smoking about 11 years ago, love all tobaccos except cherry aros, and own around 50 pipes, all low to mid range (I sold my only Dunhill).

I run my own copywriting and web development business and work from a purpose built home office. Commuting is therefore a breeze.

I'm looking forward to contributing where I can, and meeting new pipe-smoking friends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. ozymandias

ozymandias

Login to Send PM

Hello, All! My name is Ian! I turned 18 on the Ninth, and wish to take up pipe smoking! I have frequented /r/pipetobacco on reddit for quite a while when I found you guys, and thought that I may be able to learn even more here!

I plan on ordering my first two pipes soon, (As soon as my blasted Debt card arrives! It is a week late!) they will be a MM Missouri Pride, and either a Jobey Stromboli F63 Estate from the 1970s', (The Cheaper option!) or an Estate Savinelli Nonpareil, Shape 9614! (The Better looking, yet a bit more expensive option.)

I hope to learn a lot from you guys!

P.S. Sorry for the poor formatting, it has been a Long time since I have been on a proper forum.

What care I if my poor means/Clad not my walls with splendid scenes/And pictures by the masters;/Here in the curling smoke-wreath glow/
    Bold hills and lovely vales below,/And brooks with nodding asters.//All that on earth is fair and fine,/This fragrant magic makes it mine,/
    And gives me sole dominion;/And if you call me fanciful,/I only take a stronger pull,/And laugh at your opinion.// - HERMANN RAVE. "PIPE AND POUCH"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. smokinjones

smokinjones

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

My name is Paul and I'm new to the pipe community. I'm 40 and live in the SW suburbs of Chicago. My first pipe is a Savinelli Trevi. I'm here to check things out and learn ALOT!

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. nick502

nick502

Login to Send PM

Hello guys!

Name is Nick and I have been smoking for a little over 3 years. Love the hobby and friendships it has cultivated. I have been in the Youtube community for a while and just decided to join here after joining my local club, the Kentuckiana Pipe Smokers.

Since I can't have "links" in my signature, you can find me on Youtube under the name: Nickandhispipe
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

porthos

Login to Send PM

Hi all! I'm Jason, currently living in NE Ohio. Father of 6, husband of 1. I've smoked a pipe on and off for the last 20 years. Yes, that made me a young pipe smoker, but when you lean a little to the eccentric you can get away with it no matter the age!

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members, and post up plenty of pics for us too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members since I last posted welcome!

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. derrick

Derrick Young

Login to Send PM

Good Evening Ladies and gentlemen.

New to the site and to pipes in general. So new in fact I am awaiting my starter pipe from 4noggins to arrive anyday now. I have been fond of the aroma of pipes since my childhood when my grandfather and his brothers all smoked pipes. Just never managed to work up the nerve to try it for myself, probably as up untill the last few years "Pipe Smokers" were old men. Maybe it is at 45 I am now an old man and appreciate certain things in life a little more (Jazz, Blues, Scotch etc.). About 18 months ago I started to shave with a Straight Razor and was surprised by the number of individuals in that community that all smoke a pipe. That more or less opened the door for me to start another Aquisition Disorder. I seem to have my Razor Aquisitions under control and only keep the ones that I use/enjoy so I hope I cna show the same restraint with pipes and Tobacco.

I live about 2 hours North of Toronto so the ability to get product is not the best. As I ssaid I ordered the Savinelli starter set from 4noggins with 2 oz of Carter Hall and 2 oz of a 4Noggins blend. They guys in the shaving world all warned me off Captain Black but I have heard some other people say it is not so bad for what it is. So I went to the local smoke shop/Corner store and picked up a pack of it as well. Even if it smokes like crap it is the best smelling Pot Pourie for my office.

Well that is the long and the short of it and was just looking for an active community of like minded people.

Derrick

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

ellie

Login to Send PM

I was born in Texas, grew up in Scotland and Georgia, lived in Pacific NW, then landed here in sunny Florida. I appreciated the aroma of pipe smoke for a long time before trying it, myself. Daddy, intermittent pipe smoker, said the real trick is to find a tobacco that doesn't smell like there's a brush fire in the back room AND that doesn't burn your taste buds clean off. After sampling a dozen or so (thanks to a kindly tobacconist), I settled on a black cavendish aromatic and stuck with it for years. I have sampled many since those early days, but come back to the old favorite every time. For years I enjoyed the rituals of brewing a pot of tea and smoking a bowl while rocking and watching the birds descend my the freshly stocked feeder. Cares melted and blood pressure simmered down pleasantly. When I was a sailmaker, my tool pouch had special pockets for tobacco and tools in addition to obligatory scissors, etc. Imagine a blonde gal with long braid & deck shoes year 'round, wrangling sails for maxi yachts while smoking a pipe. What a life that was!

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. dustylungs

dustylungs

Login to Send PM

Hi All

Have just signed up to be a member after using this site as an invaluable resource in getting me into the world of pipe smoking over the last year or so. I took up pipe smoking about a year ago after quitting the cigs the previous year. Ive grown to love pipe smoking and all the geekery that surrounds it (i could spend hours each day reading about tobaccoes and pipes i want to aquire!), These forums seem such an amiable place where likeminded chaps (and chapettes) shoot the breeze, and i would love to be a part of it.

My current favorite pipe/tobbaco combo is Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls in a Parker xlarge full bent!

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. mountainman

mountainman

Login to Send PM

Hi all, I am a new member from North Texas.Nothing i enjoy much more in this world than sitting out on my back porch and puffing away while my thoughts wander. I have been a frequent reader of this forum and figured it was time to make the leap into being a member.

Proud member of the Blackblood Society.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. wayneteipen

wayneteipen

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow pipers. My name is Wayne Teipen. I live in Cloverdale, Indiana. I started pipe smoking in 2007 and my progression is not unfamiliar to many; it skyrocketed from there. My favorite tobaccos are Virginia's and VaPer's; especially red ribbon cut and stoved flakes. And I must confess a liking to Reiner's Professional which is always in the rotation. My life has been infinitely improved since taking up the hobby.

I joined this forum because it's, in my experience, the number one site for breaking news and articles related to our hobby. I look forward to future discussions about pipes and tobaccos and building new freindships.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Wayne!

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. lazydog

lazydog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hey fellow puffers, i'm really enjoying this site. Down here in S.E. Arizona about 3 miles from old Mexico. Fave tobaccos are VaPers and English blends. I'm up to about 90 beautiful briars but think I have my PAD under control. The only pipes left to get are a few more Cobs. This site is really informative and everyone seems to really enjoy this great pastime and hobby to the max. Well,just wanted to mention that for all you VaPer smokers I find that Prairie Wind from 4 noggins is one of the best. Happy puffin, see ya on the forums

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. pipemama

pipemama

Login to Send PM

Hello from Ohio. I started smoking in the early 70's. My first husband introduced me to the pipe, his hobby, and my current husband is both a pipe and cigar smoker. I love gardening, photography and traveling, especially if my pipe is along.

This is a great place with lots of good information and thought it would be nice to join.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. fatdogmgk

fatdogmgk

Login to Send PM

Been around for forever. Just finally got around to posting. I am a High School teacher from NW Middle Tn. Been smoking for almost 25 years now, mostly English blends in English pipes.
    peace
    Marc

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Welcome fatdogmgk. What subject area do you teach? I myself am a college chemistry prof.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Welcome pipemama

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

dashobo

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!
    Just smoked my first bowl about 3 weeks ago, been enjoying it a lot. A local smoke shop started me off with a cherry cavendish.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. fatdogmgk

fatdogmgk

Login to Send PM

I teach Theater, Video Production and Biology Prof, though not all at the same time.
    Peace
    Marc

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. cumberland

cumberland

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,

my name is Bo, and I come from Denmark! Just dicovered your lovely looking forum through a Google search...

I've been smoking a pipe since 1986 when I went to grammar school. I got an old Dunhill Root Briar (group 4 Billiard with a long mouthpiece)from my father as one of my first pipes. Still have it..smokes like a dream; she's my baby. Since then, I have been collecting pipes like a maniac, especially Dunhill pipes (have 202 of them now) plus meerschaum pipes (gotta love those) and a Danish speciality: the Royal Copenhagen pipes that were made in the early 1970ies after our late King Frederik IX had his birthday in 1971.

I look forward to chatting and have a nice pipe of tobacco with you... currently, my favourites are Peterson's "Irish Flake", Dunhill's "Nightcap", Capstan "Gold Navy Cut", Gawith & Hoggarth "Dark Flake" plus Condor "Original Long Cut" (latter is SO flavoured that I only use selected pipes for that specific "baccy").

See you on the forums!

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. anduril8

anduril8

Login to Send PM

Hello all!

New guy here, I have been smoking a pipe for about 3 years now. Got my first one (Viking classic bulldog in sandblast) at Grant's pipe shop in downtown San Francisco.
    I live in San Francisco, California, and in my spare time I like to ride bikes, skate and cook good delicious vegan food. (yup thats right, a vegan pipe smoker!)

Being in SF its incredibly hard to smoke indoors but I manage a bowl or 5 every week. I started with light aromatics quickly moving to VaPers and then English blends only. But as of this year I've been smoking about,
    1/4 Straight Virginias
    1/4 VaPer's
    1/4 English
    1/4 Aromatics

Just placed a order to smokingpipes.com and should be receiving next week a Savenilli churchwarden and a Tsuge Mizki dublin. I plan on the Churchwarden being a indoor only pipe if i ever get the chance to smoke indoors!

Anyways, Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

dhfairbanks

Login to Send PM

Hello Group!

Finally decided to join after checking out the site weekly for the last 1.5yrs. Just wonderful information on pipes, tobacco, history, philosophy, etc.

Bit of background. I am 43 and have recently returned to my pipes (and added more via ebay) in January 11'. Had many great uncles and a grandfather who smoked pipes when they were still very popular in the 70s and early 80s. I decided to get my first pipe, a Dr. Grabow, as a sophomore in university in 1988. I always loved the aroma and shapes. The Grabow was okay and the Thrifty drugstore rum and maple mixture was just a scorcher to my mouth so I dabbled around. Finally picked up a decent Italian model (low grade basket pipe) at the original Tinder Box in Santa Monica from Mr. Koplin himself. He was really kind to a young kid like me, and taught me a few tricks in his store. I have kept that pipe to this day but rarely used now because it is ghosted with aromatics that I no longer can stand. I ignored the pipe for 12 years before coming back to it after stumbling across this website in November 10'. What an inspiration! I quickly inter-library loaned through my university (oh yeah, I am a Professor of Geography at a California State University campus) Hacker's and Newcombe's books on pipes and pipe tobacco to really learn about the tradition and blends. Well, I am back as an English/Balkan/Scottish blend pipster with the occasional flake, and now up to six pipes in the garage rack.

Really great to have pipesmagazine.com, Pipes and Tobaccos magazine, and Tobaccoreview.com on the web as a resource. Really valuable for a returning newbee, who only has time to smoke a pipe 3 times a week...outside!

Cheers
    Dean

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

loki993

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone
    Ive only been smoking pies for maybe 3 or 4 months, was a big cigar smoker before that. I've accumulated a modest collection of pipe tobacco and a few pipes. Im always on the lookout for another pipe though.

I still love my cigars that's for sure but once you get used to to whole pipe thing and start really tasting the tobacco its more convenient. Plus the flavors you get from pipes it totally different then cigars, one cant replace the other.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

bryanharvey

Login to Send PM

Hey All, new pipe smoker (as of Wednesday). Finally broke down at 32 and decided to try, an I can tell I'm going to enjoy it.

Just have two questions for the advanced smokers:

1. I am lighting a lot and don't want to burn my pipe anymore than I have on my first 2 smokes. Any suggestions on how to keep my bowl going and smoke/enjoy longer?

2. What are some good aromatic blends to begin with? I have tried something called a 1Q so far, but looking for some expert advise. Also are there any tobaccos you would recommend that will help me to "relax" (which is a main reason I'll be smoking on occasion - to relax and soothe the mind/body)?

Thanks a bunch, and I really am excited about my pipe and future smokes. I hope to get some great feedback from the vets (as I am eager to learn and enjoy the art to its fullest).

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

vasco94

Login to Send PM

Hey all!

Names Brian, recently got into pipe smoking with a few friends of mine after venturing to a local cigar store which sells store blended fresh pipe tobacco. Anyways Im probably the youngest pipe smoker for miles considering im 18, but oh well I love it! and nothings better then pulling up in the school parking lot with a pipe hanging out of my mouth! Besides pipes I also play guitar and worship Bob Dylan. Looking forward to reading up on things and sharing any questions!

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

pete

Login to Send PM

Greetings from The North Pole, the land of The Midnight Sun, grizzly bears, huge moose, more American Bald Eagles than the rest of the states combined, and one grumpy, old pipe smoking combat veteran who's retired from 20 years in the U.S. Army Infantry and still hasn't found that 'perfect tobacco'.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. sajgre

sajgre

Login to Send PM

Hello from Slovenia! I'm on this great forum for two years but have been just reading it so far.
    I'm in my 30is, smoking for a few years almost exclusively viriginia and Va/Pers
    My fav: McClelland Blackwoods, Dark Star, #22, 5100, Samuel Gawith FVF, BBF, Escudo, Solani 633...

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

beardedpiper

Login to Send PM

Hey Guys Canadian here!!

Been looking around these forums for awhile now I'm a member yay me!!

I've only been smoking pipe for a month and i love it, I come from cigarettes and I prefer the pipe. I have a Parker pipe and I recently purchased a Medico which I'm not the fondest of but I'm sure I'll grow into it. Just wanted to drop a quick line. Now off to work I go. Super stoked to be here guys and I'll leave my YouTube channel link at the bottom for you to check out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. burg

burg

Login to Send PM

Greetings!

I'm a new member. I've smoked a pipe off and on for about 14 years (I'm 37). Within the last two years I have gotten a bit more serious about the hobby and I'm enjoying it immensely. Early on I smoked aromatics and now find myself wandering into the more traditional tobaccos. As of late I'm really enjoying McClelland's Black Woods Flake and Frog Morton On the Town.

I'm glad to be a member and look forward to reading your posts!

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

hello my friends, greetings from Minnesota. I have been smoking a pipe off an on now since I was in high school. I'm 65 years old now so that tells you that I'm not new to pipes. Had about 35 pipes burned in the fire, destroyed them all so now I'm rebuilding my collection. I have about 35 pipes now. Many of those I haven't smoked it. For many years I've smoked hand rolled cigars from the Dominican Republic. I still love a fine cigar but it got to be too expensive, I went back to pipes.

I don't know exactly how I found this website but when I did I signed up immediately because these are my kind of people. I found it very enjoyable and I spend many hours reading about everybody's tobaccos, and pipes.

I've been a member for a few months now but just now got around to introducing myself. Better late than never I guess.

I'll have to take a picture of my pipes in the display case and put it on the forum here so everybody can see what I got so far. I'm not done buying pipes as I always find something new that I like and feel I have to have it to add to my collection. It's a pretty harmless hobby for an old man.

I'm married for 40 years to the same beautiful woman I met when I got out of the Navy., Vietnam veteran of 13 years. I ride motorcycles and try to plan on as many miles as I can. It's a Suzuki intruder LC 1500. I bought it brand-new in 2002.I think I'm added a Victory Motorcycle to my collection. I took one out for a test drive last summer and fell in love with it.so I'll be looking to get one of those in the next month or so.

I have two children a boy and a girl both in their 30s now. Got two grandchildren, so life's been good to me.

I love handguns and shooting. Always look forward to going to the range and going to the gun club. I'm also a licensed concealed carry instructor. So I keep myself busy. I'm a machinist by trade, worked mainly with Boeing in Seattle and many of its subcontractors around the country. I retired back when I was 62 because of heart problems. My wife is 10 years younger than I, so I spent all my days by myself because she's at work. That's why going for long bike rides is very nice and soothing.I can stop along the way have something to drink, fill my bowl and have a nice smoke and enjoy the day.

I got a question for the administrator, how can I search the forum without having to go through every single page for like, if I'm looking for a specific tobacco to comment on. I see many posts in duplication. I've clicked on the search tab for the forum but it doesn't appear to do anything. Any help Would be appreciated.

I saw a beautiful young woman the other day smoking a Fuentes Opus X cigar in one of our B&M shops. I told her she had a nice ash. She laughed. That just goes to show you that people that smoke fine cigars or smoke pipes are a totally different breed of people than those who smoke cigarettes. That's my opinion of course.

So my friends, long ashes to you and May your Bowls never be empty.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. matts26

matts26

Login to Send PM

Hey all new to the hobby/world of pipe smoking. I bought my first Pipe about a month ago ,a Missouri Meerschaum Legend. Has been good so far except it's getting foul( will talk in appropriate forum about this). I do find it is enjoyable and relaxing! My favorite tobacco so far is Milan Tobacconists Sunset Rum. Only smOked it twice but was very happy with it.

Not sent from my iPhone
    Posted 1 year ago #
  65. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone! I'm Matt from Ottawa, Canada. I've been visiting this site pretty much daily for quite awhile now, and I have no idea why it's taken me so long to register. I'd like to start by retroactively thanking everyone for the great info I've picked up here already, and I look forward to posting going forward...

Right now, I'm getting ready to start my first real set of restoration projects as I went a little nutty at an antique store this week and picked up 6 estate pipes in varying conditions. I'll post before and after pics as I get into it.

Also, I'm really into guitars (playing and repairs) and the paranormal. (Hence the name, but it could also apply to what my aromatics do to my pipes of course...)

Matt.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipemandan

Login to Send PM

Greetings! I've been smoking a pipe for a few months now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. dogsmokingpipe

dogsmokingpipe

Login to Send PM

Hello from Washington State. I've been a member of the Seattle Pipe Club for a few years. I enjoy my Peterson system pipes most right now, especially when filled with escudo or any of the many fine 4 noggins blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. User has not uploaded an avatar

gungnir

Login to Send PM

Good Morning from the sunny state of California. I've have been lurking here for a little over a year, started smoking a pipe a month or two before that, needless to say being extremely new to pipe smoking I scoured the internet for information and found this little gem, which has brought me much knowledge, finally I decided to become a member instead of just being one of those random lurkers. For now my collection consists of 2 MM's and a Bjarne Viking classic. I'd also like to thank all the members that contribute so much to this community it has helped me immensely.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. scurvydog

scurvydog

Login to Send PM

Cheers & Greeting from the dirty south (St. Augustine Fla), 6th generation Floridian. I have been smoking cigars for years, but only puffed on my cheap Dr. Grabow once a month or so. Well I have discovered that the variations in tobacco have captured me. I have been wearing out my new MM and going through some C&D blends. I am going to invest in a new briar bulldog soon!

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. User has not uploaded an avatar

pegleg

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone!! I've been a cigar smoker for years. At the request of my father, who is an avid pipe smoker, I picked up a pipe and a bulk Tinder Box blend about 2 months ago. So far, I'm really enjoying the pipe. The only issue that I've had is finding a blend that is as bold as I like. I've tried Philosopher from Tinder Box, Avante Guard from Tinder Box, Frog Morton on the Bayou and Dunhill Flake. I have a tin of Dunhill Night Cap and a tin of C&D First Responder that arrived today and a tin of Jackknife Plug that will be here tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting into these blends. I've read great things about all of them.

I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here and contributing what I can!!

Bryan

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ae1pt, kanaka95, andrew, frozenchurchwarden, ravenwolf, novicemaker, jiminks, sergemoat, pipeclimber