[sticky]

New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1795 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Lawrence
  • Latest reply from mrdenmark
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kakis

Login to Send PM

Well, brown billiard, the shop you mentioned has a nice website (http://ljperetti.com/pipes.html). Looks to me that these estate pipes (= used but cleaned and fully prepared for more smokes) are a great deal and in your price range:

http://ljperetti.com/pipes/Estate%20Pipes/GB/Bruyere.jpg
    http://ljperetti.com/pipes/Estate%20Pipes/CP/Ben-Wade.jpg

L.J. Peretti's own pipes look good value too, such as these:

http://ljperetti.com/pipes/Peretti/abowl.jpg
    http://ljperetti.com/pipes/Peretti/vintage.jpg

In the end it's up to you, which style(s) you might be most comfortable with, what kind of finish you like, and so on.

Best, K

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dcglendinning

Login to Send PM

David from PA here. Started smoking pipes about 30 years ago and am just returning after a long absence (I think the new "fire-safe" cigarettes were the thing that finally pushed me back over the fence). I don't have a pipe collection to speak of at the moment; currently I have a few of the brown wood pipes made by Missouri Meerschaum and an inexpensive briar. I had many more when I was younger, but life took their toll on them.
    My choice of tobaccos has changed considerably over the years; at first I went for the aromatic blends. When they got too cloying, I went to the other end of the spectrum with Dunhill 965 and Nightcap. These days I'm still into non-aromatics; what I'm smoking now is a jar blend called "Prime English." Pretty good for most of the day... but a little heavy for first thing in the day. (Coming off cigs like I am means that I like to get an early start on my daily doses of Vitamin N - a lighter version of what I'm smoking now would be nice for those times.)
    I can tell that I've finally matured enough - these days if I'm having a cigarette at work on a 5-minute break I'm really craving a bowl instead. Used to be the other way round.

Really great site here... stumbled upon it quite by accident and I'm learning stuff already.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome guys to the forum.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Hello all, Mike here from Long Island, NY. Glad i could find a site as helpful as this has been. All seem knowledgeable and kind here. Its tough being one of a few on the island that enjoys something other than cheap cigarettes or dull cigars.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. thebadkitty

Steve

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. I'm Steve, 44, from Oregon and have come back to the pipe about two years ago. LOVE the pipe. Just thinking of all those years (and bowls) I didn't smoke pipe makes me a little teary eyed (or maybe it's just smoke in my eyes).

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome guys to the forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. flatbushpaul

flatbushpaul

Login to Send PM

Hello to All,
    I am a Brooklyn boy transplanted to New Jersey. I grew up in Brooklyn and moved to NJ about 8 years ago.
    I had been smoking a pipe on and off for many years but took it up full time several years ago. I enjoy mostly Va's & VaPer's but am smoking other stuff as well. My fav is FVF but am really enjoying sdome vaPer's like Telegraph Hill & St James Flake lately. I am really into McClelland's Anniversary 2002 as well. My favorite pipe right now is an Altinok Ornamented pear that I purchased recently. I also love my Davorin Morta pipes of which I have two right now. I look forward to continue to learn about this great hobby.

By the way, is there a secret to useing a signature on your posts? I also found that the buttons on top of the reply pane do not work. I can't use the bold, italic or any of the other buttons. What gives?

Happy Smoking,
    Paul

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” —Herbert Spencer
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Paul to the forum, and post up a picture of you and that Altinok pipe for us.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

kozlee

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. My name is Brian and I’m a noob to all this. 
    I tried my first pipe at age 30 and quit due to frustration. I’m 40 now, and picked it up again recently when I was out of cigars. I had a great smoke so I’m trying to make it a regular hobby.

However, the good smokes I have are outweighed by the frustrating ones.

I’m still learning as much as I can, but wish there were a club here in Dallas so I could pick up pointers from someone experienced.

Pipe smoking is an art that must be learned and passed down.  That’s part of the enjoyment, but also part of the frustration.  

Things I like about it:

Great smell

The relaxing effects of both the smoke and the act of smoking

Affordable -

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

kozlee

Login to Send PM

Well I guess the second part of my post got cut off. Serves me right for trying to do this from a "smart" phone. Here's the rest:

You don’t reek afterwards (as in cigars)
    Doesn’t irritate the eyes (again, cigars)
    Those around you enjoy the smell instead of being repulsed
    Connection to hundreds of years of our ancestors who did the same thing
    The rhythm you get in to when you get a bowl burning properly
    Can put it out and relight without it tasting like roadkil

Things I don’t like about it:
    The learning curve.
     I’m still learning/experimenting with packing, lighting, drawing after several weeks of trying
    Relighting..relighting…relightling…relighting…religting…relighting…relighting…etc. etc. etc.
    Tongue bite (have only had this once, thank god)
    Jaw fatigue
    Wondering if I am doing it right
    Doesn’t have the same satisfying feel of a cigar in your mouth
    Doesn’t provide the sheer volume of smoke a cigar provides.
    When in company of my cigar pals on the block, I feel pretentious, like I'm trying to be a hipster or something

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

stravinsky77

Login to Send PM

Hi! Jim from Indiana here. Musician, avid reader and occasional pipe smoker. I enjoy a nice Kentucky Bourbon or a glass of dry red wine and a pipe on the back deck or front porch. I've enjoyed visiting your website.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome new members.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. adam12

adam12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome folks

Kozlee - don't give up. The dislikes will work themselves out. Although you should tell your cigar buddies who think you're a hipster to pound sand!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

kozlee

Login to Send PM

Hey thanks Adam12. I'm getting the hang of it. Smoked a bowl tonight with zero relights. Monumental.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. wizbang

wizbang

Login to Send PM

Adam is right! It is tricky to start, but is so rewarding when you learn how to smoke properly!

Craig P.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. beaterman

beaterman

Login to Send PM

Greetings all!

I recently became interested ( ok,sort of obsessed!) with pipe smoking. Found this website and was greatly pleased with all of the knowledge and helpfulness of the members. I have been an avid cigar smoker for years, and will most likely remain so, just adding one more obsessive hobby to spend all my money on! Thanks for letting me join, I look forward to learning a great deal and, of course, relaxing with a fine pipe.

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. arabpipesmoker

arabpipesmoker

Login to Send PM

Hi all Pipe Smokers
    This is Wasim from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    37y old, Married with 2 kids.

Yah i am new in Pipe world just 36 days smoking pipe converting from Hookah+Cigar and Medwakh smoking.

Love to share my 1st Briar Pipe unboxing today from CupOJoes Website. at : http://youtu.be/X4UFGXuWkvs.

That's for now folks

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi all, Romeo S, Romanian transplant to Anchorage AK. 34. Reformed cig smoker, quit them when they started putting all the chems in them and they tasted funny and tobacco use turned into addiction. Picked up the pipe in Dec 2010. Habit turned into hobby....

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. auspipe

auspipe

Login to Send PM

hi all, I am a new pipe smoker from australia just starting out with a cob and 2 tins. I have been enjoying reading this forum for a while, some great info here. enjoying this hobby very much and look forward to participating.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. kmreleaser

kmreleaser

Login to Send PM

Hey every body. I am Kareem. I an Egyptian that lives in Germany. Like many people, I found Pipe to be the missing ingredient that I have always been looking for to be able to happily stop smoking cigarettes. Luckily, after quitting cigarettes, I didn't turn into an ass that doesn't stop fussing about " Bad people that smoke cigarettes", I still respect ever body and I might even be smoking a cigaret once in a while.

Since I am a film maker I wanted to make a little video about pipe making. Nothing special, but I would still like to share it with you.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

Cheers and happy smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. edlogic

edlogic

Login to Send PM

i smoked analog cigs for over 35 years - tried to quit many times - tried chewing tobacco and was able to quit smoking cigs a couple of times once for a year but when i got tired of the messy chew i always went back to analog cigs . about 10 years ago i stopped using the ready rolls and started smoking top and buglar roll your owns until i was so sick of it - i finally tried electronic cigs a couple of years ago .

from the first time i tried ecigs i never smoked another analog cigarette and never looked back . but then i experienced adverse reactions from the ecigs - both the propylene glycol and the glycerin caused me to feel bad and have panic attack type symptoms - so i stopped that after only a few months - so i still wanted the nicotine so i tried vaporizing the tobacco - and that was swell for a while - it only takes a small amount of tobacco to get plenty of nicotine when you vaporize it instead of burn it - so using the vaporizer detached me from the habit of puffing a cig ( analog or electronic ) all the time -
    i got tired of the vaporizer and still liked the smell of tobacco so

i picked up a cheap pipe and had a hard time for the first several months but the last several months i am able to enjoy it more due to all the practice and studying .

i am only smoking capt black / half and half / prince albert so far

the first cheap drug store pipe i tried ( uses a filter ) turned out to be terrible
    after i got another cheap one ( no name ) $ 35 at a local tobacconist i never even considered trying the first one again . that is the one currently on my avatar - a billiard

i found this forum while looking for a new pipe - i was looking on p & c and found a Graco SAFARI Billiard - could not find much about Graco but a blurb on pipedia about them being a french co that went out of biz in 1968

then i started looking at the GBD AUTUMN GOLD 943810 Rhodesian and the GBD CHANNEL 9438 Rhodesian

at first the only styles that i liked were billiards but only after i purchased the Graco Safari, i started liking the looks of the rhodesians - the Safari is about a week away from delivery

while looking for info about the rhodesians i landed here for embarkation

private lightsalot reporting for puffage training

oh yeah - i was in the army and the navy - anyone at fort jackson sc or orlando ntc in 1975 / 1976 ? or in vp 45 p3c squadron in jacksonville florida 1977 ?

p s - a few times i saw PAD this and PAD that -
    here is a wild guess
    pipe acquisition disorder ?

i think therefore i am - lighting it up again and again - that is my plight - caring not whether if i ever
    smoke a full bowl to the bottom - on only one light - charles e thrift sr ( am i smoking yet ? )
    ... for imagination comprises one-half of smoking [ i wonder if that's right ] - R. D. Field - ( uh oh - I'M ON FIRE !!!!!! )
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. xxxbaileyxxx

xxxbaileyxxx

Login to Send PM

Hi all. New here so unsure what to say. My hubby recently took up the pipe again after several years away. I thought it would be horrid but the smell was pleasant and I had a try myself. His pipe was too large and long a smoke for me so I bought myself a baby bent today and I must say it is very relaxing. I am hoping as well it will get me off the cigs forever. Swap one evil for another eh

Bailey
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. xxxbaileyxxx

xxxbaileyxxx

Login to Send PM

Argh just realized that wasn't really an introduction was it? Well I will start again. I am Katrina from England 33 years and as I said above its my fella's fault I am now enjoying a pipe

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. tennesseejed

tennesseejed

Login to Send PM

Good to be here. Very interesting site. Names Jake, living in Knoxville,Tn. It's good be around some folks who know so much.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. edlogic

edlogic

Login to Send PM

@kozlee

When in company of my cigar pals on the block, I feel pretentious, like I'm trying to be a hipster or something

that is because you don't realize that you have already acquired a hipster personification - purely by the fact that they can no longer JUST be your cigar pals - you have forced them to chance the danger of everyone else being tempted to convert over, one by one

so of course, in the back of the cigar shaped pleasure center of their mind, they are going to begin to ostracize you because you think you are so cool with your cool pipe and your concerted attitude ...

yeah - they will hate you for it but
    you don't need them anyway - you know what i mean

just tell them it's hopstar not hipster - those cigar guys will believe anything

ahahhaa

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. edlogic

edlogic

Login to Send PM

Good to be here. Very interesting site. Names Jake, living in Knoxville,Tn. It's good be around some folks who know so much.

well - some of us think we know more than we should and we are not too happy about it either

welcome Names
    i think that is the first time i ever heard of anyone with the last name Jake

i wanted to name my first son jedidiah but my wife didn't like the clampetts or buddy ebsen i guess -
    didn't have any luck with naming any of the four girls or the other two boys that either

but i did sneak a jr a conrad and a carson in there ... then we had the three boys ( just kidding )

too late to have another named Names - though it is a pretty cool pondering object to suspend amidst many dancing capt black smoke molecules for a minute or two

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

onyrmarx

Login to Send PM

I joined to share how much I've enjoyed my Missouri Meerschaum corn cob with Shortcut to Mushrooms.

I'm primarily a cigar smoker. Ex wife used to own a tobacco shop. Never been much of a smoker of anything. But thru her 25 -30 years ago got into both cigars and pipes.
    Recently got back to cigars (nice thing about cigars v. cigarettes, you don't seem to get addicted; I've gone months if not years between cigars).

I converted a wine cooler to a humidor that is now fully stocked with cigars, but I like to smoke indoors from time to time, and my air cleaner cannot handle cigar smoke. Anyway I've found that a pipe does not foul the air or the air cleaner and presents its own enjoyment. I was, frankly, blown away at how much I enjoyed the Dunhill Standard Mixture, and the Shortcut to Mushrooms.

After I ordered the tobacco I discovered my two remaining pipes, an old Calabash and a Meerschaum had broken stems, so I ordered half a dozen MM 'Gentleman' corncobs in bent and straight. Great combination! Glad to be back

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members, especially the International members.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. themikey

themikey

Login to Send PM

I figure this would be as good a place as any for a first post on a new forum.

My name is Mike, I'm a 25 year old law student in Canada. I bought my first pipe while backpacking with friends in China. It was a cheap corncob pipe (worked out to about $2 USD) and a small package of Villiger black cherry pipe tobacco. I was with two friends who were cigarette smokers. I never started on cigarettes (don't care for the taste) and when I went on a jaunt around the hostel neighbourhood, I found a pipe shop in Beijing that had just opened. Whenever they'd go out for a smoke break, I'd load up a small bowl and enjoy the chats outside with them.

When I got back to Canada, I put the pipe away but recently again picked it up. It's quite relaxing I find, and am really enjoying sampling some different tobaccos - limited as they may be in Saskatchewan. With that said, I'm afraid to say that that pipe fell apart on me and am now looking for my first briar which might be picked up as early as tomorrow!

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Mike!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new folks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow ! I really neglected this. I'm two pages behind.

Welcome Mike, Jeff, Wasim (my brother in law lives in riyadh) , Katrina (we've got some Brits and a Belgian here), Jake, Kareem, Romeo, Jim and above all, my fellow Dallas-ite Brian. And all those I may have forgotten.... My apologies.

As always, sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride !

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

lab1dobie

Login to Send PM

Good evening gentlemen. My name is Tony and I am returning to pipe smoking after a 25 year absence. I started in September of 1976 in my freshman year of college and it became quite the hobby. I have about 15 pipes in my collection, the youngest being a Jobey at 26 years and my oldest a Petersen System 303 that is 34 years old. I have hand-carved Ben Wades, Savinellis, GBD and some others. The fun part is the world of tobaccos that are never-ending.
    I thank the internet for getting groups like this together to share their experiences. Especially now with the anti-tobacco culture that seems out of control.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. themikey

themikey

Login to Send PM

Welcome Tony!

I think that the anti-tobacco culture is slowly becoming more of an anti-cigarette culture (luckily) and that there's still a certain charm for pipe enthusiasts and, less so, for cigar smokers. An interesting discussion for sure, but one giving us a little lee-way.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

vodomagoo

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone, i have had a pipe for a few years now but it sat while I mostly smoked cigars. About a month ago I decided to pick up the pipe and I'm up to 6 estate pipes and my collection will get bigger. My local b&m is smokingpipes so I'm lucky to not have to travel all that far for an awesome selection. While I know my way around cigars pipes are very new to me so tons to learn.
    -Andrew

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hello all! i recently picked up pipe smoking again. i tried it a few years back and gave it up after awhile. im also an avid cigar smoker. any suggestions for differnt brands of tobacco or pipes would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. edlogic

edlogic

Login to Send PM

welcome but sorry
    i am so new i don't know much to recommend
    i just got my first new pipe since starting 18 months ago and struggling to break it in .
    i don't want to smoke that old one any more so maybe i would advise you to get more than one decent pipe if possible .
    right now i am thinking about getting an estate pipe for my next one or maybe a poker or even a cob

p s - that's funny - i meant to do a search but put the words dry tobacco in the box on the top right and it added it to the tags - now i can't delete it - oops wrong input box

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. phishphude

phishphude

Login to Send PM

Hey all. New here. Been smoking a pipe for about a year now and already have a nice little collection of 7. My favorite styles at the moment is Danish free hands. Especially with plateaus. Always looking for them. Anyway, just wanted to say hi all

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”
    -Indian Proverb
    Posted 2 years ago #
  39. eendrieenzestig

eendrieenzestig

Login to Send PM

Hello, i'm also new here. I'm smoking pipe again for more than a year now.
    I like to try several tobacco's in different pipes.
    Excuses for if my writing in English is not so good for i'm a real Dutchman.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. edlogic

edlogic

Login to Send PM

eendrieenzestig wrote

Hello, i'm also new here. I'm smoking pipe again for more than a year now.
    I like to try several tobacco's in different pipes.
    Excuses for if my writing in English is not so good for i'm a real Dutchman.

welcome

your english seems fine to me - as a matter of fact - it seems too fine !
    are you sure that you are a real Dutchman ?
    even more suspicious - what is that chinese writing on your hat ?

prove you are a real Dutchman - start flying and smoke a pipe at the same time with one lip tied behind your back - then we will see just how good you can speak english

ahaha

p s that sure looks like a nice pipe that you have - what is it ?

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard.

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 2 years ago #
  42. chuck71

chuck71

Login to Send PM

Hi Guy's I'm new to the forum. I'm a US Army retiree niw serving as a civilan contractor in Afghanistan. I decided to start smoking a pipe like my grandfather did. I am definatly enjoying it. I currently have one pipe it is a wessex "standard" billiard with a straight stem, but have 4 more on the way. I am enjoying reading all the posts and forums.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. edlogic

edlogic

Login to Send PM

chuck71 wrote

Hi Guy's I'm new to the forum. I'm a US Army retiree now serving as a civilian contractor in Afghanistan

welcome, a heartfelt welcome to you, we always like to hear from our boys and girls ' over there '

i was in the army once - but it didn't work out - they breached my contract right after basic so i got out and went to the navy - i liked the army better for straight forward manliness and face to face confrontational embellishments but in the navy it was a lot easier to get away with some things that were not exactly ' regulation '

serving as military contractor - cool !

now in solemn confidence and complete sincerity, as one olive drab chuck to another ->

Lemme tell ya, you guys ain't dumb.
    Maybe get a blister on your, little finger.
    Maybe get a blister on your thumb.

That ain't workin', that's the way ya do it.
    Money for Nothin' and your chicks for free.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. edlogic

edlogic

Login to Send PM

crpntr1 wrote

I'm a genius, kinda like Albert Frankenstein.

hey man - seems you and my pipe really think a lot alike
    my pipe always tells me that i kind of look like Kurtrand Russell - at least the part about he and i incessantly puffing away on a pipe in between movie scene shots

since you obviously are quite an astute and phenomenal pondering pipe puffer, as i am, i am pretty sure you are ready for this

my pipe says we are all convinced that we are stars in our own internal mental moving picture producing minds

can a monkey do that ?
    i don't think so but i am not brave enough to ask Furious George .

sorry - there is one bad word in the song - be careful

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

welcome to all the new members and be sure to post up plenty of pics...this text is BORING

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I figured it was time to introduce myself. Names Dave, and I have been smoking pipes off and on for 25 years. I have a small collection mainly English and Irish pipes. I was also lucky enough to purchase several Ed Burak pipes. And, yes before anyone asks, he turned me on to Scottish Ribbon. I have a small stash left and I now smoke the blend from Park Lane in NY.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. camfam151

camfam151

Login to Send PM

Hi all, My name is Doug and I have smoked one thing or another for around 25 years. Started with cigarettes, moved to cigars, then to chew, and back to cigars and have recently been drawn to pipes. Bought a couple nice pipes and some aromatics to start from my tobacconist, however the captain black gave me tongue bite a bit. Got online and ordered a tin of Mississippi Street from Seattle Pipe Club and smoked it last weekend - fantastic! I was a little nervous with the latakia and perique in there, but I actually really enjoyed it. Looking forward to learning from all of you on this site, as I have read a couple books on the history and intricate detail it takes to enjoy them properly! Here is my favorite pipe right now.

Can anyone tell me how long that tobacco will keep in the tin? Thanks!

Edit: Fixed your pic, Lawrence.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. It varies....but you can always put in a small hydrating disc you can get cheaply at your local B&M store, which will put the moisture back in your baccy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. matt

matt

Login to Send PM

Hi
    I’ve been using this forum as a resource for a while now, but have finally registered and started posting.
    I’m 32, been smoking pies for a little less than a year and love it. Wish I’d taken it up years ago. Love the pipes and the tobacco. Lost interest in cigarettes and cigars now. I’m even used to the strange looks I get wandering round town with a straight billiard in mouth... not many pipe smokers where I live, hence the interest in the forum.
    Looking forward to settling in.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum Matt

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. roguefox

roguefox

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,

I've looked at these forums for a while since I got into pipe smoking 1.5 years ago and finally decided to be a member. I've noticed the community really offers a lot, and want to be a part of that. I'm a college student in Vermont, spring is almost here so I've been able to smoke a lot more outside lately because of the fantastic weather; one of my greatest joys is just sitting outside smoking with a big pipe and delicious tobacco, which means I find it easy to relate to you guys!

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome roguefox to the forum...post up some college pics for us.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. roguefox

roguefox

Login to Send PM

Haha, I go to a military college so I don't know how scenic everything will be but I'll take any excuse to not do homework!

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. greezly

greezly

Login to Send PM

Hi Guys

I'm also new to the forum , and to pipe smoking . Coming from cigarettes which i quit few days ago .
    Waiting for my first Vauen pipe and first tins/ounces of stuff . I live in Canada , and it's kinda harsh to find any decent B&M out there , not to mention the crazy prices/taxes on baccy .

If you guys have any advice/info to share , i'll take .

Thank you for welcoming me abroad .

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. thebadkitty

Steve

Login to Send PM

Welcome

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum all new members.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 2 years ago #
  57. stogie37

stogie37

Login to Send PM

Hey Gang,

New member from OH-IO here. 21 year love affair with tobacco leaf. Usually switch from pipes to cigars as the seasons change, however, have been on a pipe run for about 10 straight months, and don't feel the usual need to change it up as Spring rolls into place...

I have been enjoying this site, and thought it would be good to make it official! Plus, I have loads of tobacco & cigars and would like to look into working out some trades sometime in the future.

Have to mention that I am really impressed with the generally great attitude expressed in the posts here. Haven't always experiencd this in the past. Thanks for quality content! - Stogie

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. wanza639

wanza639

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm Wan (pronounced as one) from Malaysia. Been using falcon for the last 12years. Now having 112 falcons of different sizes and shapes in my collection. Just bought 2 Savinellis from e-bay a Capri (poker) and an alligator..
    Hope to share experiences and tips.. thanks

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. dlrayrn

dlrayrn

Login to Send PM

Good Morning,

I quit smoking tobacco 4 years ago after doing some harm reduction research and settling on nasal snuff, then snus. I did not miss the cigarettes much, but I really missed my carefully packed away pipes in the basement. About two months ago, I ran a crossed some studies that showed the risk of pipe smoking is negligible if I don't inhale (no problem, it hurts nowadays), keep it to 1-2 pipes a day and take some other precautions. I did more research that confirmed the previous and showed it to my wife. I was expecting a hard sell and hoping for her to call me on any B.S., since I clearly wanted to see things pipe positive. We are both nurses (she's labor and delivery, I'm intensive care) so I knew she would find the holes if I did not. After she looked over it all she surprised me with suggesting that I smoke in an area of the house where the kids and her would not be affected by second hand smoke (done and done). I have a great wife who likes the smell of pipe smoke on me, guess I'm lucky.

When I used to smoke pipes I had to smoke only the blandest, mildest stuff available; since I treated it like cigarette smoke. Now I am free to explore the world of high quality pipe tobacco with impunity! I have found that I get plenty of nicotine absorbed though the mouth and enjoy the pipe experience much more without inhaling. I still use snus, but really enjoy a pipe or two a day and my life is a little richer for it.

After looking in a few places, I decided to join this pipe community. I have used your site as a resource along with a few others and found smokingpipes.com to be invaluable as a market place. I look forward to talking pipe with you folks and celebrating the return of a hobby that has brought me such joy and comfort.

-Kind Regards, Dave

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

heybooger

Login to Send PM

Hi Im Steve from Warrensburg MO. Im new to pipe smoking. Im trying to quit cigarettes, the combo of nasal snuff and a pipe is helping a lot

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Wan, Steve, and Dave to the forum

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello and welcome everyone!

Roguefox, it's been 5 days. Where them pics of the military school at? haha

Wanza, That's a crap load of falcons you got there. I'm sure we'd LOVE to see your collection.

Please feel free to post up some pics. And if you need some help post up a thread and the gentlemen here will surely set you up.

Happy Smoking Yall

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  63. rogers

rogers

Login to Send PM

Well I've been here almost 3 weeks and haven't introduced myself yet. Sorry 'bout that. My name is Rogers, I'm married and have 2 children. I also have PAD. I'm enjoying this site so far and hope to be around for a while.

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard to the new members. Enjoy your time here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. stonewall

stonewall

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone!

New member here. Been smoking pipe since 2004 I believe; started out with OTC's and have found many wonderful blends since.

I look forward to conversation as well as education on this art.

Regards,

Steven

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. russ

russ

Login to Send PM

Hello All,
    I am new to pipe smoking. I have been a cigarette smoker for the past 22 years and still do enjoy it but as I am getting older (40 in 3 months) I find myself going outside for a smoke and sitting there in my chair and think about my day, my up coming day and week. I also have a soon to be 2 year old son who now takes up a lot of my time thinking and planing for his future. About 2 weeks ago my neighbor was walking by and he came up to my porch and said something to the effect of "Russ you sit out here every night in your rocker, sipping your Gin, and having a smoke. All you need is a pipe to complete the picture of a man with life on on his mind". So I started to start thinking about what he said and laughed it off as just the old guy next door busting my chops.

I should back track for a second, I am an avid RYO cigarette maker. I started a few months ago, was just a hobby, something to offset the cost of the name brand smokes I was buying. I am a glazier, and my days can be very stress full, so I figured I would buy my smokes for the day, but at night enjoy my own homemade smokes. Well that lasted about a week, I enjoyed making my own so much I went full bore, making them for myself and my soon to be wife. Bought a nice machine went through a bunch of sample tobaccos until I found one that I truly enjoyed. Anyway, last week I had to run to my local Cigar shop to get some tubes because I did not order online in time to coincide with me running out of the stock I had. I have been in this shop many times, and always loved the aroma when I walked in. So, as I was waiting for the kid working the counter to get off the phone arguing with his girlfriend (i live in NJ and that's good customer service cause he was not cursing at her and said he was sorry). I laughed and asked him if Jim was around, Jim came out and told him what my neighbor said and told him I wanted to try it. So he sold me a 7.00 cob pipe, and 2oz of an aromatic he had in a big glass jar. I came home, got online and did a search on how to load a pipe. That's when I found this place. Needless to say I am hooked!

I order a few tins last night, Cornell & Diehl Evening Rise, Benjamin Hartwell Evening Stroll, Dunhill Tin Night Cap and Butera Latakia No.1. I read a bunch of reviews, and even though I am new to this, I know what I think I like, and well I wanted to try a few different blends just like I did for my RYO. I also ordered a starter set of pipes from P&C http://www.pipesandcigars.com/3pipesfor4599.html, but I also ordered, and not sure if it was smart but I just loved the way it looked and the price was very reasonable, so I added it to my cart http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mahachpi.html. It should all be here by Tues/Wed I am very excited as I know I am going to truly enjoy my new passion for all things pipe.

Ok, I think that's enough rambling for my first post. Have a great night all!
    Thanks for reading,
    Russ.

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Welcome Russ. I hope to read more posts describing your entry into the world of luxury tobacco.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  68. sojin

sojin

Login to Send PM

Hello. I am Rob and I have not yet begun collecting pipes, but I am about to start. I am still looking for my first pipe. I am eager to start, I can't wait to sit out on my patio and enjoy the weather with a pipe. I don't imagine using it more than a few times a year, but it seems very relaxing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

gregw

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!!! new guy here. My name is Greg and I live in ND with my wife and 8 kids. Been smoking a pipe for over 30 years and sure do enjpy them. My main interest in pipes are English makes. I have about 27 pipes right now. Quite a few Dunhills and a few other "better" known makes.

Just happy to be here and always willing to learn and gain knowledge from others.

Thanks so much and see you on the forums!!!

All the best!

Greg

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. jvandy77

jvandy77

Login to Send PM

Hey guys!

My name is Jim. I'm a 19 year-old high school student in West Lafayette, Indiana (Home of the Purdue Boilermakers!). I started smoking a pipe a little over a year ago, and, thanks to my uncle up in Connecticut, my collection has grown quickly to around 20 different pipes! Just this month ! enlisted in the Navy as a technician in advanced electronics and computer systems/networking and will be shipped out in September of this year. I can't tell you how excited I am!! Found this site while I was reading up on the history of Comoys, and I am glad to be here an excited to "shoot the wind" with the fellas on here!

Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, sparks, pipedreamer, menuhin, jmill208, brudnic1, mcitinner1, fmgee, allan, kcvet67, indianafrank, winton, sw0snuff3r, pruss, phred, jasonphillipcox411, pascal, woodsroad, lestrout, jiminks, peteguy