[sticky]

New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1706 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Lawrence
  • Latest reply from papipeguy
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnb

Login to Send PM

good evening all, i just signed up. My Name is John, I am from Nanaimo BC Canada but I currently reside in Dawson City YT Canada for work.. i have been smoking cigarettes on and off for 15 years and bought my first pipes yesterday online i ordered a peterson and a savenelli. but i got itchy to get into it and ran to the local antique store today and bought an estate pipe in good shape and a pouch of cpt. black. anyways i look forward to conversing with all of you about this fantastic hobby
    all the best

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, John! It sounds like you've gotten off to a good start with your choices in pipes, as Pete's and Savinelli's are great! I hope you enjoy your time here, and I'm looking forward to your future posts. Happy puffing!
    Mark

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome John, enjoy the great people and topics here. All the best!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. boulder

boulder

Login to Send PM

Hello and Welcome to;
    Justin
    Markus
    Mluycky
    Cliff
    Denny
    Nate
    ProfPar
    John

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Login to Send PM

Hello all, I'm Joel - Signed up yesterday, haven't had a chance to post. I've been smoking a pipe off and on for the last 4 and a half years (since I turned 18), mostly just corn cobs and clunkers I've picked up at my local smoke shop. I recently ordered a good-looking 9.5" Churchwarden and a Peterson Aran from pipesandcigars.com, which ought to get me smoking quite a bit more than this old, torn up basket pipe and the dried up leaves I've been smoking. I'm hoping to eventually kick cigarettes and go full time pipe. We'll see how that goes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard,Joel!

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welome Joel, enjoy the forum!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. pjm03fatboy

pjm03fatboy

Login to Send PM

Hi my name is peter, you have a great site here!! well i have been smoking pipes off and on, more on these days.started in 1973 not to date myself. born in hartford ct live there tru school years, then to largo fl for 12 years / now in milw wi for 22 years. I like lot's of tobbacco, still trying new ones,have about 60-70 pipes and still buying.. have some photos in my album , love riding my harleys 03 fatboy all custom / 2011 streetglide / hunting with my labs or just hanging with them / doing some wood working,made a few pipe's from block kits, but sold them. did a lot of fishing too but sold the boat!! that about all for now. so keep up the great stuff & keep puffing

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum guys and post up some pics for us

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. bbauer

bbauer

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, I am new and my name is brandon.
    i smoked a pipe for the first time about a year ago, but last summer i finally bought my first pipe that was my own.

this year at school i met a few guys who live a couple doors down who also smoke pipes. it has been a great experience hanging out with them and smoking/experimenting with new tobaccos over the last few months. hopefully i will continue to learn and enjoy what i have already started to fall in love with.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

mexiacop

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,
    I'm from Mexia Texas. I got my first pipe on my 20th birthday and I was 59 this past October. I kinda found this place by accident and decided to lurke a while before joining. Hope I can fit in with everyone.
    Richard

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard,guys!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Brandon, Peter and Richard, keep puffin'!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jameral

jameral

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, I'm Jose. Been a cigarette and cigar smoker off and on for many years. Smoked my first pipe about a month ago, wow, what a terrific and pleasurable experience that was. Now I look forward to my relaxing pipe after a long day at work. I've read a few of the posts on this forum and see there are alot of good people here. Look forward to joining in with you guys.

Know your limits but always push the envelope.

I don't trust air I can't see.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Jose.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Jose, enjoy this great forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. frtimmyd

frtimmyd

Login to Send PM

Hey Everyone! My name's Tim. I'm an Anglican priest from Michigan currently working as a Prison Chaplain in Kentucky. I picked up my first pipe when I was 21. Didn't do much with it at the time. 3 years ago a fellow priest encouraged me to take it up again by gifting me a Valeni Contrast. I've been really serious about my pipes for about a year now and just came across this site a couple of days ago.

I used to smoke aromatics exclusively but have recently have branched out into English blends and found I LOVE them. Looking forward to talking with you guys.

"On land, on sea, at home abroad
    I smoke my pipe and worship God."
    -Johann Sebastian Bach

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard,Tim! I hope you enjoy it here, and I'm looking forward to reading your future posts. Happy puffing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. mikewi

mikewi

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. I'm known on another pipe forum as mtsgsd, but I thought I'd pick something a little easier to translate here. I'm always looking for more places to get info, and buy/trade and this looks like a nice place!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. chispa

chispa

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all!!

We love questions, and don't worry about asking what you might think is a silly question. They're aren't any.
    You will be very surprised by the number and quality of the responses.
    There are a lot of very informed pipe smokers here and we all love to answer questions.
    We like pictures too. So, post a picture of your pipe, backyard, lazyboy, garage, or smoking setup.

<<insert witty signature here>>
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome all.
    I think I saw: Justin, Markus, Cliff, Denny, Nate, ProfPar, John, Brandon, Peter, Richard Joel, Tim and Mikewl.

Sorry if I missed you If you joined in the last week or so... welcome as well

I am a fellow newbie (to some of you at least) and have found this forum to be extremely helpful. These guys have helped me and taught me a lot in the last couple of weeks.

Enjoy and happy puffing !

And for those who have been asking about my (newbie) pipe collection, I finally had some time on my hands to take some pictures and upload them. You can have a look at the album here.

Hope you like 'em

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Mikewi and Tim, enjoy the site, it's great here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

brice

Login to Send PM

Hello, all, my name's Brice and I just joined to learn some more about pipes and what's good stuff to smoke and what's bad, simple stuff like that.
    I'm 18 and haven't smoked a pipe yet, I inherited my grandfather's pipes a couple of years ago and I've always been interested in them. So I thought I'd try to find out more about smoking pipes in general and maybe give it a go myself.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Brice!

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. buckley01

buckley01

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. My name is Buckley. I am a new member and just wanted to say hello. I smoked a pipe in high school (that was 30 years ago). I am starting again after 30 years and looking forward to Christmas ( pretty sure Santa was tipped off by my wife) and I am getting a pipe for Christmas. Any tips and encouragement would be appreciated after the 25th. Also I am a home brewer and would love to talk brewing with anyone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Buckley!

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

tcmcfadden

Login to Send PM

Hello to everyone. My name is Tim. I picked up a pipe back in the 70s and have smoked off and on over the years. However, I've never really learned about the art of smoking a pipe and the true pleasure of exploring different tobaccos. Now that I'm living/working in Afghanistan I have plenty of time to learn the art. Thanks to an article here on Estate pipes, I've just purchased my first one on Ebay. It is a Stanwell Design Choice circa 1970's. I've love to hear from someone with more experience on whether or not I've made a good purchase. Not so much about the price but more if the pipe is in decent condition. I've got pictures so if anyone would like to give me a good educated opinion, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you..

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

antonidasaputro

Login to Send PM

good evening from indonesia,mates!
    im ANTON IDA SAPUTRO,i live in INDONESIA, its glad that i can joint this forum, since im a newbie in tobacco piping..hope all of u can share the knowledge in how enjoying tobacco with pipe:)

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Tim, and Anton!

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Brice, Buckley, Tim and Anton !

Buckley.. Feel free to share which beer you're sipping with which tobacco. I love my porter, abbeys and double bocks with a good pipe ! MacBaren Vanilla Cream in my Butz Choquin with a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter by my fire pit..... Highly recommended !

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the newbies, enjoy the site!

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. discslinger

discslinger

Login to Send PM

Hello all... Just wanted to introduce myself. Looks like a great site for sure.
    I enjoy a few things in life, not the least of which is a good bowl of fine smoke from a good pipe, coupled with a fine bourbon or Scotch at the end of the day. A good beer will work too, :-). So, good to find a place with people of like mind.
    See u in the boards !

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members especially to the International members. Post up some pics for us.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

jay1

Login to Send PM

Hi all, Been smoking pipes for a couple of years and really enjoy the hobby. Curtrently on a VA kick and that seems to sail boat right now. Currently on another forum, and recognize a few friends from there. Anyhow, glad to see you all, hapy smoking!

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

volvodriver

Login to Send PM

Evening all,

Just joined to seek out information after a dear friend of mine recommended the site.

Been casually smoking pipes (more like a pipe) for about a year and looking to establish a collection slowly and learn more about it.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to more new members. Enjoy the forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Evening, my name is Chris,in canton tx. have only smoked for a month or so now, but i've been curious for years. I have/had several uncles that smoke pipe, but the thing that has always intrigued me was a beautiful "hand carved" pipe my father got in Germany, where he was stationed after he served in Korea. I'm in construction, have been for 17 years or so, love duck hunting, golf, anything rodeo (as in livestock, not shopping), watching my 3 kids play sports, & plenty of other stuff. Had bad experiences in a couple other, non smoking, forums that left a sour taste, but thought i'd give a try here. At any rate, I look forward to learning!

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Chris to the forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

jasonace750

Login to Send PM

Hi All - Jason here from central Wisconsin, brand new to pipes and pipe smoking. I've smoked cigars in the past but not frequently. I'm looking forward to learning and growing (as well as smoking) with my first pipe - Savinelli: Caramella Rusticated (606 KS)(6mm). I looked everywhere for an estate version of the pipe but could not find one so I will be breaking her in brand new. What I looking forward to the most is having the concentrated time to just sit back, relax and enjoy the outdoors. I'm a computer programmer so I need more fresh air and time to just sit and reflect. I can't think of a better way to do that than with a nice pipe, good tobacco and good weather. Thanks to all who have spent hours posting and sharing their information to help noobs like me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Chris, and Jason!

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Chris and Jason, enjoy your stay!

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome all.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Jason to the forum...I bet it's really cold up there already?

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi all. My name is Diston from Illinois, right across the river from St. Louis. Been a pipe smoker on and off for around 25 years or so. Have a collection of around 20 pipes, mostly Aldo Velani's and a handful of Meers. Still have the first two pipes I ever bought that are Jost's brand. I lurked in the background here, checking out the forums for a bit before joining. I have found the posts here to be friendlier than on some of the other boards I have seen, which is what caused me to join. I will get some pic up in a short while. Look forward to my time here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome new members.
    Don't be shy about asking questions or sharing your experiences.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Diston!

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. oldmooner

oldmooner

Login to Send PM

I am "Moon" Mullins and have been smoking pipes for over 50 years. I'm 72. As my profile says, I began in 1957 with a Kaywoodie Billiard and a pack of "Amphora" tobacco. I retired from the US Air Force after 22yrs and then spent 18yrs as a Professor of Economics. During my USAF career I spent 64-67' in England where I learned what pipe smoking was all about. At that time some of the best tobacconists in the world were in England and Ireland and i bought Comoys, Dunhills, GBDs, and Petersons, but over the years I misplaced many of them due to moves. I haven't had a new pipe in years. I buy and smoke "estate" pipes because I like the old ones the best.I don't like "flavored" tobacco and even though I try new stuff from time to time, I go back to Sir Walter Raleigh. Nuf said for now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Moon!

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Diston and Moon!

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome all and especially Chris, fellow Texan !

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What part of tx are ya from?

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

buddah

Login to Send PM

hi my name is justin, im fairly new to pipe smoking. excited about joining here to meet my fellow puffers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

slide

Login to Send PM

Hello to all!

I'm Scott and I am from the Shreveport Louisiana area. I have been smoking pipes for 17 years. I am married with two great kids who, thankfully, take after their mother. Work and supporting my kids interest take up most of my time.

My primary hobby is tobacco I have 14 or so pipes and also partake in snus and snuff. My pipe tobacco stash is around a pound, snus stash about 80 cans and snuff stash around 2 kilos.

I joined the site in part to see what other people are smoking and this seems to be a very civil and friendly place.

All the best to you and may you all have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Justin and Scott!

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Justin and Scott, enjoy!

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A BIG WELCOME to ALL.

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. jship079

jship079

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all happy posting

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. nobail

nobail

Login to Send PM

Hello, I live in Oregon and just started smoking a pipe moving over from cigars. I will still smoke an occasional cigar but now mainly smoke a Savinelli bent. I like the aromatics so I'm smoking Mac Baren vanilla bulk. I found 82nd Ave. Cigar shop to be very helpful. They spent much time with me showing me how to load a pipe, rub flake, the different kinds of pipes and price levels, and gave me a good deal on a starter pipe with a couple tobaccos to try.

I own a small boat and fish off the Oregon coast (tuna, salmon, halibut).

I'm looking forward to receiving a Hans Christian Anderson II that I ordered. That is my Christmas present to myself, although my wife bought me tins of Peterson Irish Whiskey and Sweet Killarney. I also have two tins of Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold Blend that I've yet to try. I tried a tin of Dunhill London Mixture and didn't appreciate it. Perhaps with time it will grow on me. I have an older Canadian style pipe enroute from an EBay dealer, so I'll eventually get to the point where I can smoke more than a couple times per week.

Randy

Just another Oregon tuna fisherman.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  59. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Moon from one professor to another.

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

swamper

Login to Send PM

Hello, I am a new member as of today, i must admit i do like smokin the pipe, they call me swampy but that user name was taken so swamper will work. I live in the desert southwest of Arizona however i grewup in Florida thats how i got the name Swampy. My wife thinks I am going through a faze with the Pipe Smokin but I think I am here to stay. I Joined this Community to learn more about this new obsession. still learnin how to navigate through the sight. I love the outdoors like hunting, Fishing and Gold Prospecting. I am an over the road truck driver who rarely gets home but hey its a job. well thats my intro hope it isnt that boring but thats life someimes. See ya

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

merlin228

Login to Send PM

Good Day to All,

Just thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I've Been an avid pipe and cigar smoker for Just about 20 years now. I've never sat down and counted my pipes but there has to be close to 100 or more. I smoke everything from Cobs, to Briars, to Meerschaum (did I spell it right?) I even have a few old zenith double wall ceramics! Clay's Regimentals...you name it, I have it...LOL. Yes, I'm a collector ;^)
    Here's a charring light to many in depth discussions amongst this brethren of the briar.

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. tab812

tab812

Login to Send PM

Hello all,
    I’m Tim from southern Indiana. I bought my first pipe in 1988 at the age of 18. However there are a few years in that time I really didn’t smoke them that much. I have between 25 and 30 pipes. None of which are high end, mostly Savinelli’s. I am married without children and have two Jack Russell Terriers. My wife and I hunt and attend trials with our terriers which takes up a lot of our free time. My other hobbies include shooting and riding motorcycles but I’m moving away from the bikes to spend more time with our dogs.

----> "The measure of one’s character is how you treat people who can't do anything for you."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  63. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome new members, enjoy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome all new members! Enjoy the forum. Great people here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. morningsidepiper

morningsidepiper

Login to Send PM

Hello all. My name is Mark and I live in Atlanta with my wife and 8yr old son. I found this place while searching for Atlanta pipe clubs. Since I don't smoke in the house I've been trying to find somewhere to smoke with fellow enthusiasts. It gets lonely sitting on the deck by yourself! Actually it's very relaxing and I enjoy my smokes but it would be great to be able to sit and talk all things pipes and tobaccos with some like-minded folk while having a few puffs. Anyway, great to be here and I hope to make some new friends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. oakbear

oakbear

Login to Send PM

Hi folks!

I'm Ryan, a 33 year old mental health nurse in Nottinghamshire, UK.
    I've only been smoking a pipe properly for a couple of months after breaking out the Peterson standard my father left when he passed a couple of years ago. Enjoying the passtime very much, learning the basics and what i like, and have a small collection of about half a dozen or so pipes already.
    One of my hobbies is woodturning, which i've been doing a few years now, so i think i will have a bash at pipe making sooner or later...

Thanks for the welcome and friend requests. I've lurking for a few weeks, but thought i'd say hi properly!

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. wattfly

wattfly

Login to Send PM

Hello Group,

Been smoking English/Balkan for a long time. Just recently jumped into the Flake world and can't get enough, 1792 is my current favorite. Where oh where is that FVF everyone is raving about?!

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi, everybody. I've been lurking at this site for a few months and have flirted with pipe smoking since I was sixteen. When I set aside the cigarettes four years ago pipe smoking became a much more enjoyable substitute for getting a little nicotine in my system. My wife and I have twin sons - both college freshman - and they surprised me with a Nording pipe on Christmas Day. (I haven't broken in a new pipe in over thirty years so I'm not relishing that task. Estate pipes, once sanitized, are my personal favorites.)

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. jameral

jameral

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome oakbear, wattfly and fnord! Enjoy this great forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome guys!
    I think I saw Fnord, watt fly, Oakbear, Mark, Tim, Merlin, Swampy (love the nickname !), Randy, Scott and Justin. If I missed ya, my apologies !

@Tim: north Dallas

Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, philobeddoe