New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1712 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Lawrence
  • Latest reply from thatjellyfish
  1. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Danno! I hope you enjoy your time here! Just out of curiosity, what band did your dad play with? I think you'll find a lot to like here, with lot of friendly, knowledgeable folks to help you if needed. Looking forward to seeing of around. Happy puffing!
    Mark

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. alamowest

alamowest

Login to Send PM

A warm Hello to all,

As one that has been a wall-wart (lurker) for a while I found the information here Very useful. While I started smoking pipes many years ago, it was not till this past summer that life events slowed me down. I have re-discovered the joys of the pipe and tobacco.

While a few of my pipes have expressed discontent from the neglect, others have warmed up just like an old friend. With 14 pipes in my collection, I enjoy visiting all of them on a rotational basis, with some more than others.

Now I have another battle to fight, the ever progressive disorder called PAD and its relative TAD. I am in hopes that those here are willing to assist with treating these disorders with their wisdom and knowledge.

Thanks in advance to all

Mike

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Mike, and anyone else who has posted here - or just joined - since I last said hi.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. danno

danno

Login to Send PM

markw4mms,

My dad played with Glenn Miller during the war. As you might know, Glenn Miller disappeared while traveling by air.

When my dad died, some band members came to his funeral. It was very touching.

He used to blast records, and play along. This caused quite a commotion forming quite a crowd outside the window of our Brooklyn home. Half the crowd would be cheering him on, the other half, telling him to keep it down. He never kept it down.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will go through life thinking it is stupid.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard,Mike!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

burntfruit

Login to Send PM

Hi I am Duncan.

I started smoking pipes earlier this year.

I am 37 yrs old and live in the UK.

I have a local supplier in Leeds, where I get my tobacco and pipes from.

They are awesome, and I hope to learn more.

Thanks,
    Burntfruit.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. jben

jben

Login to Send PM

Hello all.

I am Joaquim, a 29 yrs old Portuguese guy.
    I started smoking pipes a few month ago and have visited your site/forum several times, but only today I registered to learn more and share what I can.

Thank you in advance for all I'll learn from all of you.

JBen

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Joaquim! I hope you enjoy your time here, and looking forward to your posts on the forum. Happy puffing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome guys to the forum.

Danno, what audio equipment do you have? and do you place an instrument too?

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. tabriar

TAB

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

hi everyone, my name is mike lyvers. i have been a menber since october this year. i love pipes, been smoking a pipe since i was 16 years old. im 52 years old now. im slowly trying to put togehter a pipe club here in louisville kentucky. if you live in the kentucky-indiana area and would like to be in a pipe club, please email me at mike.lyvers@insightbb.com there use to be a pipe club here, but it has broken up for various reasons. i would like to continue the club if it possible. the old club was associated with kremers smoke shop in louisville ky. that would stay the same. please email me if anyone is interested in being a member.we will have fun together.

take care.
    mike lyvers
    home phone # 502-425-9866

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokey422

Login to Send PM

Hello, everyone! My name is Ed "Smokey" Strodtman and I have been a pipe smoker for 42 years. I look forward to participating in this forum and want to especially thank everyone who has already contacted me to be my friend. I am 59 years of age, have been married for over 28 years to a wonderful woman, and was a Steelworker until I got downsized and I now work at Walmart. My other hobbies include motorcycling, bicycling, pets, reading, and, of course, participating on pipe forums. I live on a farm about 9 miles west of Glasgow, a small river town in the central part of MO. I smoke all types of blends and have about 30 pipes. My motto in life is "BE FREE" and I have had that on my custom motorcycle license plate for 28 years. Thanks again for your friendship and camaraderie, everyone!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Mike, and Ed!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. mrgoodtime

mrgoodtime

Login to Send PM

Hi all Scott Moell here 29yrs old from Toledo Ohio been a cigarette smoker on and off for about 16 years and recently decided to switch to a pipe or at least try to.... I am having trouble finding anyone with knowledge around here not to mention I have only found one pipe smoker besides myself anyone from around this area know any clubs or just want to shoot the sh*t find me on here or facebook. Thanks

ευτυχία δεν κατοικεί στην ιδιοκτησία του, και όχι σε χρυσό, ευτυχία κατοικεί στην ψυχή. -Democritus
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Scott!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. ontario

ontario

Login to Send PM

Hello from Ontario Canada...starting pipe smoking after 20 years away.

so many to try
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

nooge

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

My name is Justin ... Known as D'Artagnan on Smokers Forums.

I am 43 and from the UK... Been smoking a pipe now for 8 years. I love vintage briars especially Barlings, however since working in Germany especially Munich I have some great pipes from George Huber Munich and Paul Becker. I'm looking forward to meeting you all !

Cheers

Justin

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ontario

ontario

Login to Send PM

Said hello earlier but had things to do and short of time.Anyhow my name is Rick live in Ontario Canada...havent smoked a pipe in many years but recent events have had me stuck at home and decided to give it a try again..due to dollar problems only smoking a yello bole pipe with Sail yellow not the greatest but relaxing...anyhow been reading the forums and learning alot..thanks for all the info...take care.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Justin, and Rick! I hope you have an enjoyable time here, and look forward to reading your posts. Happy puffing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. ontario

ontario

Login to Send PM

Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. danno

danno

Login to Send PM

First, Welcome to the new guys from another new guy!

hobie1dog,
    I am a Tube amp guy. Cary electronics driving Thiel Speakers. Have a Yamaha CD player that is quite obscure. 22 lbs of machined aluminum, with several power supplies for the digital and analog sides, copper lined chassis, etc. Also have a great Thorens Turntable. You know, all that stuff that makes audiophiles drool. Cabling is a combo of Nordost and Acrotec.
    I was one of Nordost's very early customers, so they treated me right.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Danno, thanks for all the info on your stereo

Welcome to the other guys too, and thanks for all the info.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello all. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I'm new to pipe smoking and I am really enjoying this new "hobby". I live in Canada so I thought it would be appropriate to purchase a Canadian made Brigham to start. Within 1 week, this led me to another Brigham at my local tobacconist.....I'm already thinking about many other pipes that I like the look of on the net. I have smoked Cuban and non Cuban cigars for years and I'm really glad I have found the joy in pipe smoking as I find I'm thinking about the pipe more than my cigars these days. I hope to be a part of these forums for many years to come. Cheers

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard!

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello, I have been looking for a place to talk to other pipe smokers and generally enrich my knowledge of pipes and pipe tobacco. I have been on 'tobacco reviews' for about 5 years and have been smoking a pipe for about 20 years. I enjoy all types of pipe tobacco, but I am primarily an English smoker. Some of my fav. tobaccos are Charing Cross, Our Best Blend, 965, Larsens Signature and Old Gowrie. I also enjoy codger burleys esp. Kentucky Club and Carter Hall. Most of my pipes are briar, but I have some meers and clays as well. In conclusion, just happy to have found some like minded enthusiasts.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your time here, and I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. benbonvivant

benbonvivant

Login to Send PM

Hey dudes, this is Cyndi setting up an account for Ben - Bootleg's brother.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. tedvig

tedvig

Login to Send PM

Hi all, I found this site on my uncle's recommendation. I've been on a couple others but this one looks great! I've been smoking a pipe on and off since I was 15. I've been a cigarette smoker most of that time and have been trying the last year to focus more on pipes with some success. I will say PAD and TAD have hit me hard I'm a guitar builder/ repairman from MN. I am always happy to offer advice in that area should anyone ever need. Thanks, Ted Vig

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Ted!

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. jship079

jship079

Login to Send PM

welcome Tedvig

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Crap! I always forget this thread! Welcome Lance, Greg, Danno, alamowest, Burntfruit, JBen, mlyvers, smokey422, mrgoodtime, ontario, nooge, philobeddoe, benbonvivant and tedvig! Whew!

Make yourselves feel at home here! We welcome ALL questions (there are NO dumb or newbie questions here. We are all still learning about this great hobby and we here feel everyone has something to contribute.

Please familiarize yourselves with THE RULES to make your stay here more enjoyable.

Thanks!

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. nubbiniz

nubbiniz

Login to Send PM

Greetings pro "bowlers",

Smoked my first pipe in '75 @ the age of 15. It was cheaper than cigs,,plus I could sneak in my 'special' blend without attracting too much attention. Well that fad gave out after a few years, and the pipes were put away.
    I've smoked for over 30yrs,,mainly cigarettes,,and they don't seem as satisfying as they used to be. On a recent hunting trip, one of the guys there was a pipe smoker. The first whif and it was all over. As soon as I got home I dug out Grandads old antler stemed briar,cleaned it up,and had my first GOOD smoke in years.Our smoke shops here are very very limited on pipes and tobacco selection. So I ordered my first Meer from Turkey this morning and joined your page!! HERE WE GO!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. misternoah

misternoah

Login to Send PM

Hello all!
    Just joined up. I've browsed or "lurked" the forums here off and on for a while, but just made it official. I've smoked pipes off and on over the last 5 years or so. I was mainly a cigar guy, but have in the past year or so been enjoying my pipes much more frequently.

Anyhow, thanks for having me, cheers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

ylikowski

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone!

I'm a 37 year old man from Finland. I've been smoking pipes since I was old enough. I'm not a collector, just a smoker. I have just recently gotten interested in different kind of pipes and the internet lead me here. Until this I've just smoked whats been available and around. Interesting this world of pipes.

Here's a picture of my smokers:

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Nubbiniz,Misternoah,and Ylikowski. I hope you guys enjoy your time here, and I'm looking forward to your future posts.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum gentlemen

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

And thanks for the pipe pics too

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

trout

Login to Send PM

Hi all.

I'm Leonard from Atlanta. I've been a pipe smoker for about twenty years and an advertising/marketing guy for about the same amount of time.

I quit my corporate America job back in 2010, and took a year off. I started hunting for a new job again in June of this year. Lo and behold one of the first openings I found on Monster was for: "Brand Manager - Pipe Tobacco." Um, yes please.

So I'm now the new brand manager for pipe tobacco at Lane Limited (Captain Black, Sir Walter Raleigh, Lane Bulk and starting in 2012 about 25 other pipe tobacco brands).

I hate to brag, but I can't lie - This is truly a pipe smoker's dream job. I've basically spent the last four months or so immersing myself in the world of pipe tobacco - from leaf buying to manufacturing to package design. I've also been to Copenhagen twice to visit our parent company and receive training from our leaf buys and master blenders. Very, very cool, and very enlightening, needless to say.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum. If there are any pipe clubs pretty much anywhere in the U.S. who might have an interest in having someone come out, perhaps bring some samples, perhaps give a talk about leaf types, cut types and the pipe tobacco manufacturing process, shoot me a line.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

Hello All:

Well, here I am. Started smoking a pipe when I was 18 and continued through my early 20s. At that time my hyper personality got the best of me and I switched to cigarettes, no longer being interested in the ritual and paraphernalia associated with pipe smoking. I quit smoking cigarettes at 28 and didn't touch tobacco again until about three years ago when one of my sons took up cigar smoking. I now smoke a pipe for 51 weeks of the year, with the 52nd week reserved for cigarettes during my annual motorcycle trip to wherever I feel like going at the time. My favorite pipes are Savinellis, but I'm getting my first Boswell for Christmas and am looking forward to firing it up. I smoke aromatics exclusively, mainly because I haven't yet found a non-aro that I like. I absolutely hate Latakia (sorry for the blasphemy), so the field of non-aromatic blends seems to be relatively small. I'll request recommendations in the appropriate forum the next chance I get.

I've been happily married for 28 years and have four children. I'm an electrical engineer and make my living in radio communications. Interests include motorcycling, ham radio, smoking, and a host of other things that are politically incorrect. Like many engineers and ham radio operators I'm socially challenged, but I'm also an only child so I don't worry about it.

I don't expect to post often, but will do so when I have a question or when I think I can make a useful comment.

So there you have it. This appears to be a great forum with great people. I look forward to being part of it.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  40. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A big WELCOME to all.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 2 years ago #
  41. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard guys!
    Trout, you do have a dream job for sure! It's nice to see another Georgian on the site.
    Radio807, Nice to see another Ham on here. 73's from W4MMS!

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. smokin10smitty

smokin10smitty

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

I'm proud to say this is my first post ever on ANY pipe-related forum. I'm a "noob" in about every sense of the word: I'll be 21 in 5 days and I've only been enjoying my pipe (yes, singular ) for about 4 months. I fell in love with cigars about 3 weeks after I turned 18 and this summer I decided to invest in a pipe to see how I liked it...well I love it! Within the past few weeks I've been reading and reading and reading everything I can about pipes and tobacco. Wow do I feel silly for thinking my beat up KayWoodie Saxon and my pouch of Captain Black are the greatest thing around. When I'm not falling deeper in love with pipe-smoking I'm going to school, working at a hotel and playing my guitar.

Please point me in the right direction with pipes and tobacco!

Alex

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Alex! I'm glad you've taken well to the hobby. One thing I can suggest is that you think about buying a few cobs, they're inexpensive, and an easy way to make sure you don't over-work a pipe by smoking the same one each day. For tobacco, you should seriously think about giving Carter Hall, and Sir Walter Raliegh Aromatic a try. Both are usually easy to find, and about the same price as Captain Black. I'm sure that you've probably looked at some of the major e-tailers websites, and see that there is a huge amount of fine blends out there to choose from, and trying new things is part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable. Happy puffing, my friend!

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

Thanx for the welcome Mark. When I first saw your screen name I thought it looked suspiciously like there was a call sign embedded in there, so I did a qrz.com search and confirmed it.

Jim
    W2BVM

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome all. I have found this is a great place both to hang out and to learn.

@ Alex You'll get more advice about what pipes and tobacco to buy than you ever wanted.
    @ Jim Welcome from a new ham. Philip KF7STS

And thanks to all the new members who are taking the effort to post an avatar in the forums. If you are new to forums (as I am) it takes a little effort to figure things out, but it is worth it.

I hope you all enjoy your time here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum guys,nice first posts from everyone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahoy all,

name's Mike, recently got re-interested in pipe smoking after being a quitter for a few years and realizing I can't afford good cigars.

I smoked a good old Dr Grabow Grand Duke for quite a while and it never did me wrong. I've recently upgraded (I think it's an upgrade anyway) to a more massive, and better crafted briar pipe I ordered from the Ukraine (if you're at all into pipes I'm sure you've seen them around Amazon and Ebay, but if you haven't, you can see them here: http://stores.ebay.com/The-best-GIFTS-from-UKRAINE?_trksid=p4340.l2563 )

Here's an image of the one I just got in the mail today (sorry for the big picture):

I'll be posting a bit more about my first experiences with it in another thread, but thanks for putting the site together, whomever is responsible, and see you all in the message board.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. vroomfondel

vroomfondel

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone

After lurking on the site for quite some time, I finally wanted to officially introduce myself. My name is Marcus, I live in Zurich, am in my 30s and am a very recent convert to pipe smoking. I used to smoke cigars and still smoke cigarettes (damn things), yet I am in the process of quitting the latter. I had my first pipe in the beginning of this year with my Danish neighbor and felt right at home with the whole ritual and the pipe smoking community.

Since then I have spent way too much money on pipes and tobaccos and even started making my own pipes. We (my neighbor and I) even built us a little workshop at his place, the perfect man-cave for drinking beer, smoking pipes and using power tools

I have a great appreciation for Peterson pipes (most of my little collection are Petes)and smoke almost exclusively Virginia and Vaper flakes at the moment. Here's a link of my collection so far.

Very well, I guess that's it for the moment. I am very much looking forward to spending some time with you guys and wish everyone happy puffing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

jerome

Login to Send PM

Hi y'all!
    My name is Justin and I just recently tried pipe smoking. My great grandfather was a pipe smoker and I always admired his pipes and the smell of his pipes when he smoked them in his lazy chair. So about two weeks ago a picked up my first pipe, a "Q-Brand" (tried to look up some information on that brand and couldn't find anything), and some tobacco, Mac Baren Cake Blend. I have been really enjoying it and already thinking about getting my second one (maybe a Savinelli Trevi). Well that is my short intro...can't wait to get into the world of pipe smoking!
    -Justin

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, guys!

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Justin,Markus, and Mike to the forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Nubbiniz, Misternoah, Ylikowski, Leonard, Jim, Alex, Mike Marcus & Justin! Looking forward to your posts!

-Jason

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alright then, here's a couple of lines about this new member.

An avid cigarette smoker for a little over 30 years, I decided to go back to pipe smoking. I dabbled a bit with it back in college, so it's slow getting back into things. I picked up a couple of cheaper pipes about a good year ago and started playing around to see if i could stick with it. One of those two cheap pipes has a marking "Czech" and that's about it. The other, nothing whatsoever. But after a good year or so, I decided I could stick with this.

So about a month ago, while on a little weekend outing, my wife actually walked into a local B&M with me and actually purchased me a nice Peterson. And what a difference in experience ! So now I guess I've caught the bug and am slowly expanding my collection. Picked up since then:
    * BC Calabash Star B, smooth ($65)
    * Stanwell Deluxe, Billiard, Rusticated ($50)

Final two additions I'm considering are a Savinelli prince or author), a Chacom Champs Elysees (bent apple or prince) and perhaps one more Peterson. That should give me a nice 7-8 pipe collection, evenly spread out over Englishes and Aromatics, with ample room to rotate.

Besides that, I'm originally from Belgium so enjoy a good glass of beer, spent time in Scotland and Ireland, so enjoy any good scotch, Irish whiskey or even Bourbon. Oh, and I'm a foodie too, so a nice dinner with family and friends is in my opinion never a waste of time.

Look forward to interacting here and appreciate any feedback, especially on the Chacom pipe.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  54. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Mluyckx! It looks like you've got a nice start to your collection. I think you'd do good with the Chacom and Savinelli as well. Looking forward to reading your future posts. Happy puffing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. sideache

sideache

Login to Send PM

Hello all, Cliff Cramp is my name. I have many estate pipe and can't really narrow my collection down to a favorite pipe. It often depends on my mood I guess. I'm an illustrator in the entertainment industry. I'm also a professor at CSUF where I coordinate the illustration program. I've been drawing for a living for a looong time. I live in SoCal. Been married for 27 years and have two boys - 9 and 11.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello Cliff ! Wonderful artwork on your site. Makes me think of the Boris Vallejo cards that covered my wall in middle school. Also reminds me a bit of another west coast artist and a personal friend of mine http://www.jeffhaynie.com

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. pipes4

pipes4

Login to Send PM

Greetings!

Igor here, 46 y.o., from Croatia! I start smoking pipe before 2 months!

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Cliff, and Igor! I hope you guys enjoy your time here. Happy puffing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. boulder

boulder

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone,

By now you can tell I'm a background kind of person, avoiding center stage and my posting is short and to the point.

My dad was a pipe smoker when I was child and never saw myself as one.

I took up pipes early this year as a change form cigars and cigar prices, to
    find I now like both and that pipes is a whole new addiction.

I am drawn to large free hand and handmade sitter pipes like Son, Knute, Wade, Nording we all know the list.

I do have more traditional pipes like Castello, Caminetto, Savinelli, Tsuge and a bunch of signed Meerschaums and let us not make believe we don't own and smoke Cobs at times, But to go on listing would not be polite. I luv Va's and VaPer's as well as Carter Hall.

I belong to more than one smokers forum and participate in them all.

I hope this lets you feel you know me just a little better, I'm not a spring chicken anymore but certainly not an old bird yet.

Thanks, John.

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard to all. I am quite new to this forum thing in general so forgive me for not welcoming everyone in. I'll try and keep an eye on this thread more often. This site has been so helpful for me, I'm glad to be a part of it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, John! Hey, you just list away, we won't mind. All of us are rather proud of our collections, and love sharing our passion with the other members. BTW, I'm sure you'll want to post some pics of those pipes soon. Anyway, enjoy your time here, and I'm looking forward to reading your future posts. Happy puffing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipesaremything

Login to Send PM

Hello to all out there in cyber land after lurking for a while i joined up I love pipes and pipe smokeing it is a wonderful hobbey Ben smoking a pipe now off and on for 35 years but just found this site about 2 months ago. Its a Gold mine if info and such a great place to meet new frinds thank you to the founders,so much sorry for the bad grammer and am a terable typest as well im wateing on Dragon so that should set me free to talk to all of you and have a good time. thanks Denny.S

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. boulder

boulder

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll need to take new pictures, don't want to post the same ones here

Thanks Mr. Markw4mms, John

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. nate

nate

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone! Just found this sticky, so here goes!

Live in Indianapolis, IN, work on planes for a day job, but hope to change that soon. I have been smoking around 5 years now and making pipes about 2. I have toooooo many pipes to list, but most are estates. I have a few artisan pipes, and hope to add to that collection. Currently in the process of building my pipe-making shop. Have most everything setup, should have my machine lathe within 2 weeks (after a few months wait!).

Welcome to all the new members before me here!

Nate

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Nate!

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Howdy Y'all from Buford Georgia

Just got back into pipe smoking a little while ago after a very long hiatus. Guess I originally got interested in pipe smoking because that was something that my friend's Dad did when we were growing up. (I also became a Chemist as he was).

Many more resources available now then in the late 70's. when I first picked up the pipe. (Back then I had to figure everything out by myself, and basically fumbled on simple stuff like packing a pipe) Still have alot to learn and re-learn, and am grateful for the plethera of available resources today.

Glad to find this resource and pipe community, and to come in from "the cold".

Still working to find a "favorite" tobacco. So far I have found aramatics to smell good but be too wet. I typically like strong flavors but have to be concerned with room-note (Suggestions would be appreciated). Going to be trying Sutliff Private Stock - Sunrise Smoke next.

Have a modest collection right now, some new and several estate pipes. My most unusual pipe is a double bowl blond briar that I have had for many years. Will post a picture of it as soon as I figure out how to do so.

Prephaps the sterotypical pipe smoker was a college professor. In my case its true.

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. nate

nate

Login to Send PM

Hey profpar!! Glad you're here!! You should try GL Pease Samarra or even Blackpoint if you like good flavor, and the room note on those isn't too bad. Enjoy!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I will have to try them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. smokenscotch

smokenscotch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Cliff, Igor, John, Nate, Profpar, hope I didn't miss anyone! Greetings, enjoy the site!

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Profpar!

Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   rwramsey, homeguard95, smokeybear, woodsroad, buffalopat, vespertillio, tbradsim1, kendodan, beefeater33, cigrmaster, stbruno70, okiescout, mike73, sirbogglesworth, derfatdutchman, lonestar, briarfriar, darwin, yohanan, jiminks