New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1712 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Lawrence
  • Latest reply from thatjellyfish
  1. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi, my name is Mike, and I've been a pipe smoker, off and on, for a little shy of 30 years. Rolled and smoked cigarettes (bugler or drum) off and on also, but have always preferred the pipe. Never been an either/or for me, though I don't think I've ever really had the tobacco addiction and have always been able to put them down without a problem, or at least with a minimal amount of longing.

Sort of feel like I'm at an AA meeting. No, never been to one, just from what I've seen on TV.

I'm a reformed pipe collector, having given away the majority of my collection the last time I gave up smoking a few years ago, and I have only a couple dozen of my favorites left now, with which I'm perfectly content and feel no need to acquire more pipes. Not unless it's a good cob or two (those can't be counted as part of any collection, right?)...or unless it's a really, really good deal and I fully intend to use it with at least some regularity...

I'm a fan of somewhat stronger tobaccos, my favorites (right now) are Brown Irish twist, Black Irish XX, Five Brothers, and I even enjoy a bowl of straight perique occasionally. Also enjoy a good VaPer, though Escudo is my favorite of those (ain't it everybody's?) and I refuse to buy anything regularly that I can't get in bulk so I don't smoke it often. Royal Yacht is also one I like very much, and many others I won't take the time to name. I will smoke less intimidating tobaccos also, but usually find them lacking in flavor and mostly don't enjoy them as much. A couple of favorite tobaccos of years (recently) gone by are Dunhill's 3 year matured VA's, Nightcap, and Charatan's English Mixture. Seems like every time I get pretty comfy with a tobacco for awhile, they stop importing/selling/making it.

Anyway, that's me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Wow, so many new members on here since I last checked this thread, thanks for all,the great introductions.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. wmhines

wmhines

Login to Send PM

Greetings all,

My name is Bill and I'm a seventeen year resident of Charlotte, NC. I've smoked pipes on and off since the early eighties and have just recently come off a seven year non-smoking hiatus. I've had that "itch" for the past year and finally had to scratch. I actually thought I had thrown my pipe smoking equipment away until that little voice inside my head told me to check some boxes in the garage, the one marked "pipes". It was almost like a family reunion. So I'm back in the fold and looking forward to catching up on relaxing smoke.

I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Howdy, Pete here. I just started smoking a pipe and I have managed to pick up a few already, I especially enjoy puffing away while I walk my dog. I retired in 2002 and I've been moving around a little since retirement. I started in the mountains of Colorado. I have a place overlooking Lake Atitlan in Guatemala, and after selling the house in Colorado I've purchased here in Lovely Teton Valley Idaho. I live alone but I'm putting in a smoking room in the basement for indoor enjoyment. I'm looking forward to being a member here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

centaurd

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone, my name is Dean and I used centaurd as my username. Long story short that was my photography forum handle since '04. Just got into pipes and tobacco 2 weeks ago and I know I'm on the right track because I found here! Still reading and learning till I have enough to ask questions. I'm in Los Angeles, California and originally from Taiwan.

I have three pipes and tobacco coming my way, a hand-made bamboo pipe from Taiwan, a Mr. Brog 48W ChoChla and a Ferndown Poker pipe. First time I tried pipe smoking was back in '07 and I had a GBD filtered pipe, didn't have friends to share and too busy with work so it didn't last long. I'm sure I will thus time tho.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dizzieranddizzier

dizzieranddizzier

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is dug, but since I am a sometime jazz musician/trumpet player, I chose the moniker "dizzieranddizzer" after the great pipe smoker/trumpet player Dizzy Gillespie. A good friend of mine in Chicago introduced me to pipe smoking some years back ('04), but only decided to purchase my first pipe/bulk tobacco in December.

I'm also a composer, visual artist, and fiction writer. Any other creative people on here?

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Dizzy, fellow trumpeter here, welcome to the forum, got any video of you playing for us?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dizzieranddizzier

dizzieranddizzier

Login to Send PM

Normal trumpet stuff:
    http://youtu.be/bAgps0oVMn4
    Weird trumpet stuff:
    http://youtu.be/RbssvI6Pa64

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. extrasample

extrasample

Login to Send PM

Hello from the pacific northwest! just a quick introduction from a new pipe smoker. Hobby started with an eBay purchase, a Darby pipe. Love the site. Lots to learn. Looking forward to the journey.
    Other hobbies old motorcycles playing guitar and good beer.
    Cheers Adam

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm Paul. Live in southwestern Pennsylvania. Used to collect pipes, now I just smoke em. Prefer billiards and straight princes. Virginia tobacco or Abingdon if I'm alone, drugstore aros in public. I'm in my mid thirties with two kids, been smoking about 15 years.

Favorite pipes are ancient Petersons for the abuse they can take. Have a lot of expensive pipes, but the best smoker is still an oooold Masta patent sandblast bulldog with more putty than briar. Guess I'm just now learning the value of things.

Thanks for having me!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

misfit83

Login to Send PM

Hello,

My names William I live in Toronto, Ontario

I`ve been smoking a pipe the last year or so and I love it!

Just wanted to say hello

Cheers

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. gerritjan

gerritjan

Login to Send PM

Hello everybody!

I realized (discovered this topic today) that Ihadn't introduce myself. I am Gerrit Jan, married, living in the Netherlands and smoking pipe since the middle 80's. I think I've made all the mistakes that a beginner can make because in our small town there was no tobacconist who could advise me. Later I discovered some greater shops and got better advice. When internet came into my life it was like heaven came upon earth. So much information, I hadn't realise there was so much to know. I got a good contact with some i-shops all over the world and with a German Pipemaker (Roger Wallenstein) My favourite pipes are the Cutty and the Cavalier (this has grown through the years....)my favourite tobaccos: Troost Slices (only available in the Netherlands) and Orlik Golden Sliced. I smoked a lot of different tobaccos but I always returned to these two. If you have any questions....please ask!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

peanubutter

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I am Matt from Wyoming. I have recently tried a cob pipe and some low cost tobacco. After the third attempt I seem to be getting the hang of it. I still have quite a few cigars but I was hoping the pipe would be cheaper and provide a bit of relaxation after work. After I am finished with the first two pouches of tobacco I hope to try the Hearth and Home tins. I did purchase a Peterson pipe as well but feel I should practice a bit more with the cob first.

The articles and forums are informative and I enjoy being a part of this site.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. loneredtree

loneredtree

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members. We like to help out pipers. So, feel to ask questions. Remember we like pictures! Post photos of your pipes!

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

tazman

Login to Send PM

Hi guys my name is Brian. I just started pipe Smoking a little over a month ago. I started with the basic captain flavors and now im getting into some different blends with burley. Anyway im saving up to buy a decent pipe and continue my adventures in this fantastic religion of Pipe smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

wanderer

Login to Send PM

G'day from Australia.

I just inherited something very similar although not identical to the pipe discussed in this article.
    For the old world to new with love. I was looking to post comments in the page itself but couldn't figure it out.

I'm interested in finding out more about this pipe but have been unsuccessful in finding much information and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Greetings and salutations, all! Name's Jesse, and I'm relatively new to this whole hobby. Fortunately I've got (from what I gather on the interwebs) one of the great B&Ms around in Uhle's. spent a few bucks there already, but its kind of cool to see there are a bunch of us out there. Excited to pick a thing or two up here from yaw'll.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. redinthehead

Evan

Login to Send PM

Hello everybody! My name is Evan. I'm from Las Vegas, Nevada. I've just recently taken an interest in pipes, after taking an interest in cigars first. I have been lurking on this forum since November of 2012, reading posts and learning as much as I could about the hobby before I ever picked up a pipe.

Then, on Christmas Eve of 2012 my mother surprised me with a nice new briar pipe, a pipe/tobacco pouch with an ounce of tobacco in it, a nice pipe and cigar lighter, a tamper, and a neat two pipe ash tray with a cork knocker in the middle.

Since then I've purchased two other pipes, a corn cob and a churchwarden. They are both great pipes! I've also gotten a few ounces of bulk tobaccos, and a tin of virginia. I only smoke the Virginia out of my churchwarden. The other two pipes are used for whatever I feel like smoking in them.

Anyways, I can't wait to participate in these forums. I look forward to getting to know all of you fine pipe smokers, and learning all I can about this wonderful hobby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

My name is Kaleb. I have been in the tobacco business for thirteen years now. I've been smoking a pipe off and on since 73, nothing serious untill about a year ago. Since I'm in the business I have been lucky enough to purchase some pretty sweet estate pipes. I've also started cellaring about four months ago and I'm up to 34 lbs. so far with a goal of 50. Out of all the forums I creeped this one seems to be the best that I have found. Looking forward to participating.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

sthrnman

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone,
    I started smoking a pipe when my Grandfather passed away almost 30 years ago. I was 18 at the time and I smoked off and on for about 5 years.
    I picked up pipe smoking again about a year ago. I wanted to use the pipe as a crutch to quit smoking cigarettes.
    Man I forgot how much I really enjoyed a pipe.
    I'm now building my collect of pipes up and always looking for pipes and tobacco. I look forward to my pipe time everyday.
    As I have been expanding my pipe collection and my taste for tobaccos I thought I would join here and see what other pipe smokers have to say.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

123Friendster.Com

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is Steve and I have been a resident of Kentucky for 50 years. I grew up working in tobacco fields on hot summer days then freezing while stripping tobacco in a cold barn in the middle of winter during icy snows. Most times this work required a big chew of 'Red Man' or 'Beech Nut' to complete the task. Those were the good old days! Been a cigarette smoker half my life or better and recently started RYO'ing. My tobacco of choice for everyday cigarette smoking consists of Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam, Danish & Virginia Long Cut. I also just recently picked up the pipe and fell in love. It's so relaxing. I remember seeing my Grandfather smoking a pipe when I was a child and loved the scent of his tobacco. At the moment I don't have any pipes you would call expensive or even collectable, however I do get enjoyment out of smoking my Savinelli Duca Carlo Pipe 'Lumberman' and my Missouri Meerschaum Cobs!

I do plan on expanding my pipe collection and have started with purchasing a Peterson Pipe. I am enjoying the Villiger line of tobaccos. My favorite so far is 'VILLIGER 1888 Mid Day'. Please feel free to recommend other brands similar to Mid Day please. My taste in tobacco's include both aromatic and English blends.

Looking forward to getting to know fellow pipe smokers and participating.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

ime138

Login to Send PM

hey guys, im new to the forum and new to pipe smoking too, im 29years old, i was a cigarette smoker for 16 years and quit with the help of an electronic cigg. to be honest i still loved the smell of tobacco, so i started with an occasional cigar. it was hard to find one i really liked but i did, but i always looked at pipes. i started smelling the pipe tobaccos at my local store and finally sprung to get one after this past christmas. i use my pipe about once a week, so far i like a couple aromatic blends, but i have a couple english and non aromatic. the non aromatic still smell good to me but the 2 english ones i got smell very strong, do they taste that strong too? anyways, i also like to expiramint with e cigg flavors and liquids and have found some tobacco extraction processes which i am actually in the process of trying to hopefully create a good pipe tobacco e liquid flavor. i havnt used many pipes, but right now i have a lo rocca bent and an erik nording. the nording pipe looks amazing. ive seen many of his pipes that look great.
    i am wondering thoguh, right now i only fill the bowl about half way. can someone reccomend to me by pm one with a small bowl? when i use my pipe i only go for about 10-15 mins before i put it out. any help would be great!

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

jogilli

Login to Send PM

good day all...i'm a hobbiest pipe maker currently living near Stuttgart Germany.. working for the Department of Defense... retired Navy Cryptologist (CTRC) ...born and raised in Texas...... many of you I probably know.. to those I don't a hearty hello.. i've been trolling the site for a while.. love the radio show and figured.. why not

I look forward to chatting with you guys

James

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. thehyphenator

thehyphenator

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone!

Realized that I had not posted on this thread since joining the site about a week ago. Name is Kyle, writing out of Stillwater, Oklahoma and I have been smoking pipes for about 3 years now. I always thought pipes were the coolest thing ever as a kid, and I promised myself I would buy one when I got older. My first pipe was a corncob with a nice cherry-flavored aromatic. I have since upgraded to three Italian-made basket briar pipes (know next to nothing about them). They serve me quite well, though I am looking in the future to splurging and getting a Peterson or Savinelli. I especially like the look of the Savinelli Morino Billiard. I have also made the transition from aromatics to English blends, and have been working my way recently through tins of Dunhill Nightcap and My Mixture 965. Nightcap is easily my favorite smoke. Love the full bodied taste and the nicotine kick. I dipped snuff for around a year and half, so there is not much tobacco-wise that can take me on a ride, but Nightcap does the trick.

I enjoy pipe-smoking very much. I am a Civil War Reenactor, which complements my pipe-smoking quite nicely. In addition I am a college student and also recently engaged, so pipes are a needed and very relaxing pastime. I will never quit.

Look forward to learning from and talking to you all!

Kyle

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

123Friendster.Com

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. intrepid721

intrepid721

Login to Send PM

Greetings and salutations from Thornton, Colorado all. I'm Jason, extremely new to pipes though it's always been a desire, I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's taken this long. Just recently I got back into cigars after kicking cigarettes (17 years) to the curb 5 years ago. I felt I could finally indulge and not fall back into a 2 pack a day habit and fortunately, I was right. Picked up a cheap basket pipe from a B&M and a few ounces of the exceptionally limited supply of pipe oriented tobacco they had and I've been off and running (or would that be puffing?) since. I'm hooked, not in the hopeless way, but in the supremely excited way of getting into a new hobby that I have enjoyed thus far. A joy I am certain will only continue to grow as I learn and experiment with new tobaccos growing my cellar and pipe collection over time. I must say that my first impressions of this community have been nothing but great, what a wealth of information you all have to offer. I'm not a big poster, so I will most likely be lurking and learning, chiming in here and there. Thanks for being a civil group of folks, as far as I can tell the troll population is scant if present at all, you have to love a good predator management program. Hope Friday eve finds you all well and in good company. Cheers!

-Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WELCOME to all you knew members great to have you all!!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

reap

Login to Send PM

Thought I better say hi being a new member. Been smoking pipes for the last couple of years. Not sure what prompted me to start but since then I've collected a few pipes and some different tobaccos. I quit smoking years ago but still enjoy me a big lipper of skoal. Living in Canada makes it expensive otherwise I'd be working on cellaring more. Over all I never get to smoke enough and usually take the opportunity to enjoy a pipe when I'm driving. The goal for this year is to get out and do as much fly fishing as possible while enjoying some good tobaccos. Of course the snow has to melt first so for the time being I've been checking out reviews etc and wishing it were warmer. See you in the forums.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

missileguy

Login to Send PM

Hello all. My name is paul just switched from cigars to pipes. Like the cigars but pipe seemed a little more economical and easier to transport. I am currently in Afghanistan (U.S.ARMY). My screen name is my job. I repair multiple different missile systems. I am pretty fond of relaxing and thought smoking a pipe would help give me a reason to enjoy it a little more. I have currently been smoking some generic cob on my second one already. Had a little learning curve with the first and thought I was trying to smelt iron in it. I have just ordered some MM cobs and have slowed and calmed down with the puffing. I am currently smoking CAO moontrance sounded nice and I actually enjoy it quite well. I was also sent in the starter pack some sutliff golden age (not bad), Sir Walter Raleigh (not bad) and some captain black cherry (not my favorite).I have just recently found the perfect packing method and had my first extremely enjoyable smoke. Thank you all for the great advice on here and for letting me be a part of your community.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

smetz06

Login to Send PM

Hello! Im Scott and am 32 years old. I discovered pipe smoking about a year ago after I gave up cigarettes. I really enjoy it as a nice hobby. I only own 2 pipes. I also decided to carve my first pipe out of a block of briar wood that I had ordered online. I also love aviation, am a flight instructor, piano player, and have a youtube channel. I like making things with my hands. I love relaxing and having a pipe after a days work, and after a nice meal. Thanks and look forward to meeting fellow enthusiasts and gain interesting ideas, meet interesting people, make friends, and learn about this cool hobby.

Edit: Removed link, L.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

Welcome all!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

waymon

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is Waymon. I am a new poster but have been a long time lurker. I have been smoking pipes since the early 70's.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mog69

mog69

Login to Send PM

Evening all,
    I’ve been smoking cigarette’s for a long time, but have an itch about pipes for a couple years, and this Xmas my wife bought me a cheap pipe and Holland House aromatic to get me started (the pipe and tobacco were purchased on the guidance of the tobacconist).
    Anyway, thanks to Gauntley’s of Nottingham & Smoke-King UK, I have managed to sample around 20 tobaccos so far. What I have learned in two months of pipe smoking is that Peterson Sherlock Holmes / Summertime 2012 & a few Balkan’s is what I really enjoy; but my wife does not. So the aromatic I have is smoked when we are together.
    Pipe Magazine web site was the best site (trustworthy information / great topics / easy to navigate) info a beginner like me. The videos / podcast and forum have been invaluable for a relative isolated hobby.
    My wife and are touring Europe by motorcycle and will take in the German Moto GP (Sachsenring), so might have to organise a slight detour to fit in some Pipe shops / makers

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

luacova

Login to Send PM

Hy everyone. I'm Luis, from Spain. Smoking pipes since 2012 march, so very new in this world, but I Like it!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

ash13brook

Login to Send PM

My name is Matt. I'm a truck driver in the Chicago, IL area.
    I recently took up the pipe again after a 25 year hiatus.
    I'm a diehard corn cob smoker and smoke mostly flake cut tobaccos...so far. That's I was smoking when I quit. Back when there was a Tinder Box in every mall!
    Looking forward to getting reaquainted and trying some new stuff.

Matt

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. ebag

ebag

Login to Send PM

Name is William. Just picked up the pipe a few months ago. I've never really liked the way cigarettes tasted or anything, nor how quick and not really relaxing it was, so I picked up the pipe. That and it's a lot more relaxing and the few times I get to see daylight since I'm currently active duty Navy. So far, I'm doing mixture of the local tobacco store here in San Diego that's a Cherry Mesquite blend. The pipe is just a ten dollar corncob for the moment before I upgrade to a higher end pipe, any suggestions on that would be wonderful.

Petty Officer Third Class
    USN
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

leo12

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Lorne is my first name...have been smoking a pipe for about a year now. Started with two corn cobbs, and recently upgraded to a handcrafted S & T. Have learned a lot from trial and error and from the great knowledge available on forums...
    Looking forward to conversing with other great people here!

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. popsmusix

popsmusix

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow pipe smokers. Checkin' in from Maryland. I have been smoking pipes for about 3 years now and am loving every relaxing, tasty minute of it. I am currently concentrating on English blends. Dunhill being my favorite for the time being. I look forward to all the information I can glean from the more experienced pipers here. Thanks a bunch, see you around the forums.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. webbedtoes

webbedtoes

Login to Send PM

Hi, Jack here. I've been reading for a long time and learned a lot, but I never felt like I had anything of value to add. Started smoking a pipe in highschool, but switched to cigs after a few years. Quit them and took up cigars for a few years. Quit them and went back to pipes. I couldn't be happier. Glad to finally be a member, hope I will have something worthwhile to say.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

ajarch830

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone, my name is AJ. I've been smoking a pipe for about a year now and couldn't be happier. I started out with a little sampler kit if found online that came with a nice little Savinelli and a tobacco sampler to get me started on my journey. I was always curious about pipe smoking and I do love the smell of fresh tobacco. And now a year later I have a small collection of pipes that is still growing along with my interest in different tobaccos and pipes. I love how relaxing it is after a long day to sit and smoke for the evening thinking about everything and anything or sitting outside enjoying the day and soaking everything in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow!
    Welcome aboard everyone!
    We look forward to seeing your pictures, reading your questions and comments.
    Don't be shy just dive right in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

hardsmack

Login to Send PM

Hello gents, quit cigs went to occasional cigars and now pipes. Cigars are great but I don't usually have that much time to commit to recreation. So a pipe with a pleasant waft and a flavourful bowl. There seems to be a lot to learn. Which makes this a hobby not a habit, lol. Cheers

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello All, I just joined today after lurking around for a while.
    First name is Wayne, I have been smoking pipes off and on for many years. I not a super pipe or tobacco collector, I enjoy it as a good break from cigars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

piperat

Login to Send PM

Hi all

New member here (duh, why else post in this thread, I know).

This makes my third foray into pipes. The first time I was too young to be legally into anything tobacco related (long time ago now, I was a teen in the 1980's). I then tried again in my early 20's. I didn't really have any guidance at the time, and selection I could find was mostly OTC stuff, so the experiences were less than optimal. Remembering back, it was a frustrating mix of tongue bite and too hot to hold bowls, or constant relights to the point I'd just grab a cig and give up. You know, general beginner issues, but without knowing what was going on and having no real way to get advice to make it better.

I ventured back in at this point a couple months back due to exposure to other pipe smokers on a wetshaving forum I'm pretty active on and enjoying my experiences with. I'm dropping the cigs pretty fast overall, down to just 3-4 a day at this point, everything else is either ecig or pipe. I have a small collection of fairly inexpensive pipes so far, and prefer mostly aromatics, but I've started to learn I do like other blends as well, so that part is expanding and changing still.

Looking forward to poking about on here and learning more on this new hobby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

scpxi

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

From a faraway land here, just got into smoking pipes.

Not much really of a talker, but do love the company. Started smoking tobacco with cigars then went down to cigarretes and came back strong getting pipes. Never really had much guidance except for the internet and
    a friend. So Cheers to all (smoking my old england as of this post)

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. fumareprodeo

fumareprodeo

Login to Send PM

Good day everyone,

My name is Dion, 22-year-old university student from Twente, The Netherlands. I'm studying at the University of Amsterdam and aiming at an academic career in Philology. I started smoking pipe about half a year ago, and it's going swimmingly.

I started out with pretty average striaght briar pipe, bit on a the small side but not much, it was already 50 years old and unused when I bought it, so it's more than twice my age. It sold for about a $100, bit expensive for a first one, but it's a good quality instrument.

My first tobacco was a slightly aromatic Danish blend, and I really love it. I recently bought a different blend from the same brand, so I'm taking it slow. No need to rush trying all sorts of tobacco.

A while ago I bought a second pipe, of the same material as the first one. Briar, with an acrylic stem I believe. It has a longer stem, so it's a churchwarden. They're called 'reading pipes' in Dutch. I use it when inside, reading or sitting. The normal one I now use mostly when I'm outside.

For my pipes and tobacco I go to the 'Smokiana Pipeshop' in Amsterdam. It's a shop operated by dedicated Veterans of the Briar, and solely focuses on pipe smoking. It's part of the Amsterdam Pipe Museum, a small museum but they have everything. From old tribal pipes to modern briars and everything in between, supplemented by a bookshop on the subject of pipe smoking. A visit is highly recommended if you find yourself in Holland, it's really worth the effort. Website (in English): http://www.pijpenkabinet.nl/index-eng.html

I will upload some pictures when I get around to it.

About my username, for those who don't read Latin: 'Fumāre Prō Deō' means 'Smoking for God' or 'Smoking on behalf of God'. As I believe tobacco is one of His most generous gifts to Man, and is ours to enjoy and savour. Well, at least pipe tobacco is. Spread the Gospel of the Briar, brothers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. rockvillepete

rockvillepete

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I’ve been lurking around here for a little while now so I thought I’d take the plunge and officially jump in. I’m Dennis from Rockville, Maryland. I’m mainly a pipe smoker but I guess you could say I also collect pipes since I have over 300 of them. During the last few years I’ve been concentrating on high-grade, pre-republic and patent era Peterson’s but I also collect Danish freehands by Preben Holm/Ben Wade, Winslow, Ilsted, etc. I just picked up a four pipe Ben Wade Danish Hand Model Special Collection boxed set in mint condition that I’m absolutely smitten with!

I also have a goodly number of Italian makes by Castello, Viprati, Radice, Il Ceppo, Ardor, Rinaldo, Caminetto, and Don Carlos as well as English pipes by James Upshall, Astley, Ashton, Ferndown, Northern Briars, GBD, and Larrysson. I’m also an admin for the International Peterson Pipe Club/Forum in my not-so-copious spare time of late. I smoke mainly English/Latakia/Balkan blends, Virginias, VaPers, Burley, and occasionally Lakeland flakes when the mood strikes. I also love cigars, single malts and fly fishing.

Glad to be aboard!
    Dennis

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice... I've been trying to get my hands on a freehand and those are just beautiful :)Welcome. I'm pretty new myself, but the people here are awesome.

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. briarpipeboiler

briarpipeboiler

Login to Send PM

Not new but haven't been here in a while.

Still puffin'!!

Hope all are well.

Boiler Up! > Burn 'em down!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  51. darkwoods

darkwoods

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the pipe smoking world, looking forward to it though.
    I searched this site for a while before I joined.
    There seems to be a lot of good people on here and a ton of great information.
    Looking forward to chatting it up with you...

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. tombraider

tombraider

Login to Send PM

Thomas here. I was a lurker for few weeks and decided to pick up a pipe and give it a try. I've been a cigarette smoker for longer than I'd like to be or to admit. I'm hoping the pipe will replace the cigs to some extent. I picked up a MM from a local convenience store and an estate pipe from eBay. The estate pipe is a L'Artigiono by Cesare Barontini. I am very new to pipe smoking so I go back and forth between the 2 pipes trying to figure out what I'm doing. After reading a lot of reviews I picked up a few ounces of 1Q and Milan 401. Whie the 1Q smells great I don't think it has enough nic to satisfy me. The 401 is a little better but still not what I was hoping for. After reading a little more I'm thinking that one of the GLPs will be my next purchase. I live in a small lake community in NJ and am looking forward to cruising around in my boat this spring with a fishing pole in one hand and smoldering pipe in the other. Thank you all for some great info and I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Login to Send PM

Howdy, I don't think I've introduced myself yet. I hail from Oregon, Originally from Bakersfield, CA. I have many hobbies, Pipes being my latest. I do everything from carving knife scales & knife steel handles to photography all the way over to software development. I'm a jack of all trades so to say.

I've been smoking a pipe for a few months now and have tryed quite a few of the Altadis blends, Largo (UGH), Sir Walter Raleigh (Didn't much prefer it) I'm looking to expand my types of tobaccos and get more info on the types available, how to cure, flavor and age.

Once I pick up a new hobby I got hog wild with getting all the knowledge I can on it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

osci

Login to Send PM

Hi all!
    I'm Saverio and i am writing from Italy.
    After i quit smoking cigarettes i decided to try with the pipe, so i purchuased a cheap Savinelli and a pouch of Skandinavik regular and now, after more than 30 pipes, i am still looking for the "perfect" pipe!
    I like to fill my bowls with VA and VA/PER, EM, local OTC kentucky blends and minced Toscano cigar. Seldom smoke aromatics.
    That's all for now, thanks for all precious info and i look porward to share my pipe hobby witrh you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. guerillapiper

guerillapiper

Login to Send PM

I light my bowls off of campfires. I use my thumb as a tamper. I clean my pipes with squirrel tales. I am a... guerilla piper. It's great to be a part of this community.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. zdwebb12

zdwebb12

Login to Send PM

Hey all, I've been smoking a pipe for about a year and a half now. My current favorite blends are: Esoterica Dunbar, Dunhill Flake and Nightcap, McClelland 5100, Cornell and Diehl Opening Night, and last but not least the always tasty Full Virginia Flake. I smoke mostly Virginia's but I enjoy English mixtures sometimes, hence the Nightcap. Great to be here!

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipingkraut

Login to Send PM

Guten tag. Hello I'm new to pipes but I've wanted to try it for years unfortunately the only actual pipe tobacco I've used was captain black and it was terrible but I'm hoping to get some cherry tobacco soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. automaticslim

automaticslim

Login to Send PM

Hello to one and all! My name is Chris, I'm 29 years old.

I live in The "Biggest little City in the World" (Reno, NV.) and just recently took up the pipe after smoking cigarettes for 12 years.

I'm the type of person that loves ritual, and pipe smoking seems to be just that, one big ritual, from packing and lighting, all the way through the cleaning process afterwards. My wife LOVES the smell of HSPC Trout Stream, and I think it is a just fine flavor.

Thus far, I'm really enjoying the half hour or so I spend by myself, Pipe smoking is an exercise in controlled breathing, and I really feel like I benefit from that.

Thanks to everyone here on the forum for making this place a welcoming, wealth of knowledge!

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. javajunkie

javajunkie

Login to Send PM

HI! long time cigar smoker (and overactive on a cigar forum under the same name), but after a decade of fiddling around with a couple dr. grabowand some OTC stuff to poor and indecisive results, i took a suggestion from one of my stogie guys and tried nightcap. EUREKA! a little studying on how to load and smoke, and i feel like i am at the start of another long and great journey with the leaf. still rocking the dr. grabows (hey, they burn well if you know what you're doing), but have a couple starter estates recently, and my first petey on the way.

had this place highly recommended to me, and i have to say you all look to live up to the praise. thanks for having me. o)

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

avenger

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I am John i am 20 years old and i enjoy pipe smoking quite a bit. I just started a few weeks ago and am enjoying a lot (despite complaints from the girlfriend because smoking is bad for you...) Im glad i found such a helpful site to aid in all the troubles and questions i may have. I only have 3 tobaccos right now..i do not want too many because i dont smoke often and don't wanna have hard choices. I have Capt black white. Carter Hall. And Middleton cherry blend. My favorite is a toss up between the Captain and the carter. I have a can of Hearth and home berry nice on the way as well..cant wait to try that Thanks for all the information, i know i will have fun here

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. ajonline

ajonline

Login to Send PM

Hey, guys! The name is AJ, I'm 30 years old, just recently married on January 26th (WOO!!) to my best friend of 5 years, Sarah. I've just recently taken up pipe smoking and do restorations on the side. I've been a musician since I was about 5 years old, I play 12 different instruments, I have 2 albums on iTunes, just recently finished composing the soundtrack for a short film entitled "Picture Show" that won best screenplay last year at the Ozark Foothills FilmFest....and I'm running out of commas!

The pipes I currently own are the ones below (from t - b: MM Legend, MM Great Dane, antique lattice meerschaum, and a handmade Israeli burl briar)

I normally smoke Captain Black White, Captain Black Royal, or my local tobacconist's golden cavendish blend, but I just recently purchased some of http://www.justforhim.com's "Treebeard" from the Middle Earth Pipeweed series and I absolutely love it. Its complex, but its very aromatic and sweet at times.

However its great to be here and I look forward to getting to know you guys! Blessings!!

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

tknauss

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,
    Just joined, I've been smoking the pipe off and on since 1987. I also collect pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. pourspellar

pourspellar

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I'me new too pipe smoking and I just wanted to introduce myself. My collection so far includes a couple of Peterson's and a Missouri Meershum corncob (A General). So far I'v only tried aromatics, but I'm looking to try some new tobacos. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. petergunn

petergunn

Login to Send PM

Greetings from a pipe smoking gun toting old man

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I just realized I never introduced myself. My name is Dan and I live in Cherry Hill, NJ. Have been smoking a pipe on and off for about 25 years and just felt like getting back into it. I am still an avid cigar smoker but wanted to explore my horizons a bit with the briar. Just picked up a nice Nording and a strong blend from my local tobacconist.

I must admit the "thing" that got me into pipe smoking at 18 was reading the "Lord of the Rings" series. It seemed that every few pages someone was smoking a pipe and I started to experiment with the common aro's such as Capt Black. One of my roomies in the Marine Corps smoked a pipe and introduced me to the Tinderbox, which was a local shop. I started to experiment with different shop blends but have never tried the tins. After reading some of your comments I feel the need to go by some Night Cap today

I look forward to learning a LOT from you all.

Cheers,

Dan

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello all,
    My name is Jeff and I am new to pipe smoking. I gave up cigarettes as a new years resolution and picked this up instead. So far no complaints; I smoke less often, it's cheaper, and smells much better. Looking forward to chatting and learning a few things. Semper Fidelis -Jeff

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 1 year ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

rhys

Login to Send PM

Greetings my brethren,
    Please excuse my late introduction. As a long time cigar smoker, I decided to experiment with pipe smoking in no small part because pipe tobacco is so much more affordable. $1000 worth of pipes and tobacco later and I'm hooked! Honestly, I never suspected that there was so much to learn in order to properly smoke a pipe. This forum has helped me immenslely. Here's to a long friendship; I hope I will someday be able to reciprocate the help I have thus far received.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. homeatsea

homeatsea

Login to Send PM

Been hanging around the forums for a while as I got into pipe smoking but never took it upon myself to make my own profile. Finally decided I'd start contributing to the conversations here, seems like a fine community.

Learned a lot from you gents (and the occasional lady) and I am excited to be here.

-Home At Sea
    Posted 1 year ago #
  69. broth

broth

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I am a pipe smoker from Huntersville, NC. Pleased to join your community! I started smoking a pipe in 2007. Put it down in 2008 for no good reason. I just recently picked up the pipe again and I forgot how much I missed it. I still have all my old pipes and tobacco which have been sealed away until the last couple of weeks. I managed to age all of my tobaccos 5 years without really meaning to! Broke open some Christmas Cheer 2007 for my first smoke and enjoyed it immensely.

Anyway, just wanted to drop a line to introduce myself. I've been reading your forums for the last week or so and the amount of knowledge here is impressive. I can't wait to expand my knowledge and love of pipes and contribute any way that I can.

Cheers!

Brennan

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. User has not uploaded an avatar

tukt0yuktok

Login to Send PM

Hello. Making my intro here. Looking forward to participating in the forum. I am in Brampton, Ontario Canada, and have been a pipe smoker, off and on since 1977. Have the pipes I originally bought those many years ago, as well as a few newer ones. I also smoke the odd Cuban cigar.

Cheers

Michael

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cobguy, foggymountain, redbeard, dread, daimyo, ghost, greatbrittn, elpfeife, dhizzy, wilson, ddavid, leacha, yaddy306, deathandtaxes, ocpsdan, twangthang, lonestar