New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1756 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Lawrence
  • Latest reply from southerndraw
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey fellas. I started smoking when I was 16 (cigarettes). I enjoyed them alot smoking mostly Pall Malls, Lucky Strikes or Camels. They were only 40 cents a pack then. As you can tell I like to taste strong tobacco and not have it filtered. I quit because they weren't treating my lungs well at 22. I dabled with dime store pipes and cigars in my 20's then went to skoal and quit that too. I then started with premium cigars and went through that for awhile before taking the plunge in the fine pipes and tobacco arena. I started with light aromatics but grew tired of smoking "air" and moved on and found English blends. The more diverse and full flavored the blend the better I like it. I like bold coffees and bold tobacco. I have alot of Petersons some are excellent and some just so-so. I have some Savanelli's and other lessers brands. I think I have over a dozen. I'm 50 and drawn to anything that is not PC and is conected with maximum freedom. I hate tobacco nazis or any nazi that doesn't want me to enjoy my life as I see fit. I say we vote them off the island!!! Anyway I've done alot of research to find the best tobacco for my tastes. I have gotten some McClelland stuff which I have had to put in jars and age it because it really needs it bad. I just tried some Dan BBBB and am getting ready to try some Pease tobaccos. I hope to increase my knowledge base and look forward to the journey.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard MustangGT.
    I think more than a few of us are of like mind and have had a similar journey through life.
    Dive right in and make yourself at home.

And, to all the New Members of late.
    We're glad to have you as Members as well.
    Don't be shy, post up your questions, comments, and especially those pictures of your pipes.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. pathfinder

pathfinder

Login to Send PM

Hello all!

Name's Josh Gordon, I've been pipe smoking since my great grandfather gave me his handmade Meerschaum pipe on my 18th birthday. My favorite pipe tobacco would have to be Captain Black Royal, honestly due to the simple fact that it stays fresh the longest during deployments. As you may have gathered from that prior sentence, I am serving. I'm an 11B (Infantry) and have been for 7 years now. I'm currently on my 3rd deployment (1st to Afghanistan, 2 to Iraq) and I'm still smoking pipe. My "Old Cheep'o" Pipe has been with me since my first tour, its even got 100mph tape on hit, thanks in part to the "Three step drop" out the side of a Blackhawk which broke the month piece in my assault pack Haha. No bigs, I think it's become my favorite (All though ugly now) amid all my other pipes. I have a question if you will, rather more of a request, does anyone know of a business that sends pipe/pipe tobacco care packages? The other Squad Leader in my Platoon has a buddy that does "Cigars for Warriors", but I know of no one that does it for pipes?

There's about 10 of us in my company that smoke pipe and we're trying to see if there's a company that sends the stuff out. We're 90% Infantry in our company (10% to HQ etc) and we're attached organically to an Aviation Battalion. We're Fox Company (Pathfinders), 5th Battalion, 101st Combat Aviation Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) out of Fort Campbell KY. If any of you know of a company and could spare a moment, shoot me a PM and I'll send them the info. I'll also throw our address below if you (maybe the owner of said company) could orchestrate it. Thank you all, and I look forward to talking to you all!

Very Respectfully,
    Josh Gordon

Address:
    SSG Gordon, Joshua
    Pathfinders, TF Eagle Assault (5-101)
    FOB Shank
    APO AE 09364

First In, Last Out!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

New pipe smoker from Australia. started up mid year. turns out i enjoy it.
    Purchased my self a few ball mason jars, now i need the tobacco to fill it

first pipe was a Peterson's Irish Harp #68. so far Ive tried a few Peterson aromatic blends. in the new year I plan to get some Frog Mortons to try along with a new pipe. Purchased a new pipe from cupojoes.com the guys there were kind enough to keep the pipe on hold to post out to me in the new year.

So to any fellow Aussie Pipers - help me out with tracking down good tobacco

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

nwgibson85

Login to Send PM

I have been a member since last February, but have just returned for the first time to this forum since last Mayish. Thought I would check back in as a newbie.

Hello all and thanks for having such a great site.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. oldpops41

oldpops41

Login to Send PM

Hello Oldpops41 here im from Cleveland TN. getting back into my pipe smoking. Would like suggestions on anythinr pipe smoking and if anyone knows where i can find or get some Grandads.

"Life Is Good" BlackBlood Society
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bronxbill

bronxbill

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm living in Raleigh NC; been here since 1981. Smoked my first pipe working at a summer camp while in HS. Put the pipe down for a couple of years; picked it up again while serving with the Marines in Viet Nam in 1967. Thought it made me look older and more distinguished :). Been smoking a pipe ever since

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello. I guess I'd describe myself as a reformed non-smoker. I've long enjoyed the scent of pipe tobacco, though I can't stand cigarette smoke (and I'm still a little dubious about cigars...). A friend of mine recently picked up a pipe, and it was rather nice sitting out on the back porch of a cabin, with the scent of pipe tobacco in the air as we read and did some writing.

I spent some time online poking around, found a local B&M that was extremely helpful (Prince Phillip's, in Denver), discovered this forum and read the entire Beginner's section, and last Sunday, successfully lit my first bowlful and smoked it, thanks to a number of tips that I found here. My first pipe is a Bjarne Viking Classic - if I'm reading the shape charts correctly, it's a full bent apple sitter that actually sits properly when empty. The folks at the local B&M also steered me toward a lovely blend of Virgina Golden and Black Cavendish that they call "Victorian Standard" - has a great chocolate note, with smoky undertones.

Oddly enough, I'm the one insisting on doing all of my smoking outside (one whole bowl, so far...) rather than in the house - my wife insists that it's no different to her than burning incense. I think she's a keeper. I'm also thinking of getting a "smoking jacket", since it's just gone bloody cold again here in Denver - probably an M65 Field Jacket, since they're nice and toasty and have lots of pockets for pipes, tobacco, and accessories.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. lazybugger

lazybugger

Login to Send PM

gday Brians he name , I am a new pipe smoker about 2 months and love it. quit smokes soon after trying the pipe as there was really no way I felt like a smoke after tasting the pipe ... and the couple pipes I have a day are way more relaxing than the smokes ever were. Only problem is the lack of fellow pipe smokers n NZ along with pipes and tobacco and I am pretty sure we have the highest price of tobacco in the world ... a tin of petersons for example costing $80 for 50g.
    sofar I have a couple briar pipes made by Jan zeman ... go check him out he is amazing ... and looking for a good meerschaum
    tobacco wise I have not really tried that much as its so hard to get here but lookimg forward to working my way through a few till I find the ones I like , sofar a 8 year old hines mixture is tops for me ... anyway just thought I would say hi and that I am loving the site

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been posting for a bit but hadn't gotten around to this thread yet. I'm a sophomore in a Michigan college and I'm from northern Illinois. I got into pipesmoking due to the influence of my roommate. The college I'm at is somewhat unique in that at least 1/4 of male students, and even more prophessors, smoke, and most of them pipes and cigars. Anyway, I've quickly slid off the deep end, aquiring 11 pipes in a year, 9 of which I still have. Enjoying the hobby and this community!

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

Hi
    A relatively new pipe smoker here. I have been smoking first cigarettes then RYO for almost 20 years now and last christmas wife got me a pipe as present (granted I have been talking and researching about pipes for a while at the time).
    So after almost a year now I got 10 briars, 3 clays and a few kgs of tobacco. Not a bad start I suppose.
    So yeah, g'day!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. seaninkitale

seaninkitale

Login to Send PM

I am an occasional pipe and cigar smoker. My situation really doesn't allow for anything more. I work for an organization in Kenya that takes care of abandoned and orphaned children. I would like to gain a deeper understanding of pipes and maybe what kind of briars I own. I am going to try and get pics of my pipes up soon so maybe one of you more experienced guys might be able to help me out. All I know is that they are made in Italy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. vemmen

vemmen

Login to Send PM

Hello, all! I joined here just yesterday, after a couple of weeks of lurking around. A little about me; My name is Simon and I've been smoking pipe on and off for about a year. I'm quite young and I reside in a small town in Denmark. I love reading Tolkien's works (explains the avatar) and spy-novels while sippin' on a good pipe. Haven't got much knowledge about pipe-smoking, but I'm improving and expanding knowledge slooooowly. Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard everyone. For those of you that haven't heard it yet there is an internet radio show that comes out on this site every week on Thursday evenings(I can't wait for tonight's show). Fantastic stuff. Be sure to check it out.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. lafraas

lafraas

Login to Send PM

Good Day and allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Sid Grief and I chose the username of Las Raaf which is Arabic for "head spin", the feeling you get from smoking strong tobacco. I'm pretty much a world traveler with a background in international business and retailing. I always enjoy finding new tobaccos and pipes during my travels and sharing my experiences with others.

As I am approaching retirement, I am shifting my focus to tobacco and pipe manufacturing and retailing. I am here to share, network and learn from the best.

I'll share a poem:

A glass is good, and a lass is good,
    And a pipe to smoke in cold weather;
    The world is good, and the people are good,
    And we're all good fellows together.
    John O'Keefe: Sprigs of Laurel

When love grows cool, thy fire still warms me; when friends are fled, thy presence charms me.
    If thou art full, though purse be bare, I smoke, and cast away all care!
    ---German Drinking Song---
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. oldpops41

oldpops41

Login to Send PM

Welcome lafraas i cant agree more. I like it

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. falcon76

falcon76

Login to Send PM

Good evening all. I have been lurking around the forum for a couple of days now and finally decided to join. Hmmm...little bit about myself is in order I suppose. I have been smoking pipes off and on for about 22 years, started smoking night watchman from the Boston Stoker in Fairborn,OH. So anyway I was given recently some old pipes a friend had and in trying to value and date them found this site and as you all seem to be a great bunch thought I'd join .

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

speedan

Login to Send PM

Good day all! I am still fairly new to the world pipe, having only smoked a pipe for only about 3 years once a fortnight or so, but now I reach for the briar every couple of days. As I sit here joining, I am smoking a bowl of Gawith & Hoggarth Rum Twist with a glass of 12 year old Chivas Regal. Bliss.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

jono

Login to Send PM

Hi all, been a smoker since 7 years old started on grandads pipe when he wasn't looking to pinching cigarettes off my dad,smoked hand rolled until 2007 started having the occasional bowl (Well attempting to :lol:). recently inherited my fathers pipes and trying to pack in the ciggies and pipe smoke instead. Have found that there is a lot of learning with pipe smoking and am sticking to the one pipe (Dr Plumb Peacemaker #5)till I get it right :?. looking forward to meeting you all and learning about pipe smoking, 'cos Goddess knows I need help

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome new members. Enjoy your time here.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Howdy everyone, just started smoking a pipe about 2 months ago. I find it very enjoyable and relaxing. My favorite blend so far has got to be Rainy City Cigars Rainy City Reserve. It is a great aromatic just right for the cold winter evenings in the Pacific Northwest. I hope to learn a lot from you all as I search the site. Thanks for being a great group to learn from!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

jonathan567

Login to Send PM

hello. im new to the pipe world. I have smoked cigarettes for years but im looking to take the next step to pipes. i know very little about it save what i have read in here. im trying to figure out what would be my best option for a briar at under 30.00. look forward to the new hobby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

Joined about a fortnight ago. Sorry for the delay in introducing myself.

Started smoking a pipe when I was fourteen. One day the cat found my pipes and tobacco, and that evening I got a long lecture from my mom about the evils of smoking, how it caused disease, a greater increase in venereal problems, social unrest, psychoses, stunted growth, .... the works. She huffed three Kent Filter Kings while giving the lecture. Then she handed me over to my dad, who lowered his newspaper, said "son, good pipe tobacco does NOT smell like a Turkish cat house; please smoke unflavoured mixtures." The newspaper went back up, and given that he had said "please smoke", I took that as approval to continue.

Currently fifty three years old. I've blathered quite a bit about tobacco on my own blog, which some of you may have had the misfortune of stumbling across. For which horrible experience I truly apologize.

Regards.

-----ATBOTH
    Boring wafflegab about tobacco.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. bluestar

bluestar

Login to Send PM

I have been posting on a few threads but decided to stop by and properly introduce myself. I think I was around 12 or so the first time I snagged my dad's pipe and gave it a try. I bought my first pipe at 16. That was about 20 years ago.

I gave up my day job (for the most part) about a year ago and started working on my art full time. I sculpt, carve, and build mostly. I found these forums while looking for reviews on different blends to try and the search for information on carving my own pipes. I lurked quite a while and finally posted a couple of days ago.

I have so enjoyed reading and getting to know you all. I am pretty much an open book so feel free to engage me in conversation!

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

Hi Bluestar,

Nice to see a face that isn't covered with hair here. What tobaccos do you smoke?

Regards,

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. byzcath

byzcath

Login to Send PM

Not new, but I've been off the board for many months now, but trying to get back up to speed again! Because of being on sick leave from my diocese, I've been living with relatives until recently, and could not get regular pipe fixes. But now I have my own place again, and am enjoying this favorite hobby! Good to see y'all are still here and active!

-Fr. Ron Hatton

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

rthbaum

Login to Send PM

Hi all. Found my way to the site after stumbling across the pipe magazine radio show on my tune in radio app. Looking forward to posting to share things with others that have a common interest.

My interests include hanging out with my wife and family, hockey, bar b q & grilling, photography, astronomy, and smoking pipes of coarse. Look forward to chatting with you all.

Rick

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard!
    We're looking forward to you posts, pics.
    Dive right in!

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

mickinpaul

Login to Send PM

Wow it has taken me a minute to introduce myself. I am very new to pipes and tobacco as a whole I truly enjoy smoking and hope to.find some great advice and folks to shoot the breeze with everyone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedrifter

Login to Send PM

Hey there Gents,Nick here. Last christmas a friend of mine let me sample some of his tobacco out of one his nording pipes,Needless to say it took me a year ( I move slow sometimes heh.)to decide to dive in,Picked up a kaywoodie saxon so I could learn some technique and proper smoking out of something that wouldnt break the bank.Honestly despite all the stuff people have to say bad about this pipe,Iv'e yet to have it give me a bad smoke (going on about 20 bowls now) or really any tongue bite unless I specifically use poor etiquette or technique i.e chiefing on it.Bascially im just here to make some friends with similar interests and to just shoot the breeze.Also I tend to like bold armotic blends from have ive had,Any you guys would give that 5 star you need to try it rating too?

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I started smoking cigars when I was 18 but found that the smell of a cigar was offensive and as a result I wasn't able to partake as I'd like. However while on vacation in Gatlinburg Tn I stopped in a local smoke shop and they had a Pipe wall. Well after talking to the salesman I was out the door with a sort of mix between a Popeye and a Bing Crosby

But now I find that people actually enjoy the smell of the pipes and even find many of them to be Pretty.. So as it stands I a Briar and Fire guy..

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. pauliepipes

pauliepipes

Login to Send PM

Welcome all new members. Whatever the reasons are why you started smoking pipes, it is fair to say that this more than just smoking. It is a hobby that you can get caught up in by continuously searching for that perfect pipe or most wonderful tobacco where others enjoy being around you and you loving the smoking pleasure at the same time. Whatever the reasons you have for smoking a pipe, enjoy the experience of the hobby.

Welcome all!

Pauliepipe

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. oldpops41

oldpops41

Login to Send PM

Welcome all this is a cool place to hang out. Im still a newbee here but learning lot and having good time. great peoples here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. veganpiper

veganpiper

Login to Send PM

Hello all. New to this site. Been piping off and on since 2002 and for some unexplicable reason have recently developed a renewed passion for it. This seems like a good spot to hang out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've posted a bit since I joined earlier this month, but figured I should make things "official" here.

I've been smoking a pipe since I was 18, back in 1980. In the mid-80s, I worked part-time at a Tinder Box in suburban Chicago, where I learned a lot of what I know about pipes (and cigars) and tobacco. It also introduced me to the fraternity of pipe smokers, which I continue to cherish to this day. It's great to be among friends here.

I've got a fair number of pipes in my collection (around 40 or so) and a good quantity of tobacco cellared (750+ tins), but I think I'd be happy with nothing more than Penzance in the $8 no-name pipe I bought back in 1980 (which, thankfully, is still with me. . . and smoking fine!). For me, Penzance is my "Arcadia" (if you're familiar with J.M. Barrie's wonderful book My Lady Nicotine). Otherwise I favor English blends, Balkans, straight Virginias, VA/burley flakes, and, rarely, an aromatic.

I've been a full-time freelance nonfiction writer (magazine articles and books) for the last 12 years. . . although that might be changing soon; I have an interview for a senior-editor position next week. As a freelancer, though, I've had the freedom to enjoy my pipes throughout the day. Not looking forward to possibly giving that up! But, then, there's that whole "steady paycheck" thing.

It's good to be here.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. oldpops41

oldpops41

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the newbies lots of good people here with lots of good info

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi all;
    A long time Cigar smoker and recently I’ve been enjoying my pipe again after 15 years with so many changes... Mostly in all that's available, I’m looking forward to trying as many as possible.
    I'm a screenwriter and spend long hours writing and enjoying the variety that pipe smoking brings me over cigars. So I'll save the cigars for the local smoke shop and enjoy the richness of my pipe as I'm writing.

Craig

**Right spot this time

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

eltice

Login to Send PM

Good Morning All!

New to the site and relatively new to pipe smoking...I started/"tried it out" early this summer (somewhere around my 39th birthday).

I, as probably many others, started out as a cigar smoker and wanted something a little different. Currently, I have my first $20 no name pipe made in Italy....not sure that it's even Briar, a few Boswell's, a Savinelli, and a "Benjamin Briar" pipe on order.

As far as tobacco, I have tried a couple dozen or so. So far, I have really enjoyed the Boswell blends (Christmas Cookie, 1Q, Mild English, & Premium Burley). I also have a couple Dunhill tins...Nightcap, which I like and London Mixture, still haven't tried this one, but the reviews said it was a mild version of Nightcap so I think it will be alright.

Looking forward to all of the information from the users and the site!

Happy Smoking!
    Eric

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

tobacco

Login to Send PM

hi everyone just wanted to say hi i am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello and hope to get to know some of you. Hope this is the first of many posts.

nice to meet you all

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. brewer

brewer

Login to Send PM

How do you do. I came across these pages while researching how to improve my tobacco curing and aging process. I am a New Zealander doing aid work on a remote Pacific island. If you view my avatar, it depicts the only tobacco available to me here. It costs less than a dollar an ounce and its not too bad, if a bit too peppery.
    I have been a pipe smoker for most of my 64 years, have a large collection, mostly falcons, and enjoy a lightly cased blend - my usual smoke was Amphora regular when available.
    Lately I have taken to cutting and compressing this rope tobacco (I carefully select what I buy for moisture, colour and aroma)and aging it to see if I can improve the flavour. It certainly does but this Christmas, I had some time in the Provincial Capital and decided to experiment a little by adding one of the other native grown products - vanilla.
    Immediately there was a huge improvement in flavour. It is too soon to tell what will be the result of aging with the vanilla and a little citrus zest added but will let you know. As it is I don't miss my Amphora one little bit.
    I am putting it up in pint tomato paste jars, the kind that taper towards the top and tamping it as firmly as I can with a wooden rod. The taper helps by holding the tobacco down as it is tamped. I get about eight sticks of tobacco into one jar by which time its solidly compacted. I add a few drops of vanilla essence and a small strip of citrus zest to each handful as I rub it after cutting.
    If anyone has any further tips, I would be most grateful. I wonder about applying a little heat to the jar before sealing as one does with canning fruit. I may try that in the next batch but I don't want to destroy the fermentation bacteria.
    It will be interesting to see what a few months aging will do but, as I said, I have a very satisfactory smoke already.

Kind regards.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone! Ive been a smoker for several years and have recently started exploring the world of pipes and pipe tobacco. Ive lurked around on here for a couple weeks picking up tips, hint, and suggestions for tobaccos to try. There has been alot of useful information here thank you all for the wealth of knowledge that has been provided. Ive also been teaching myself to use flash and i made a video to go along with my intro check it out its on newgrounds.com MY PIPE VIDEO Anyway check it out and I look forward to posting more now that I finally signed up and finished the video.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. pipebreath

pipebreath

Login to Send PM

Post #1

I saw there were a few Canadians on here so I joined.

Kramer
    "No... look away, I'm Hideous"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. progger

progger

Login to Send PM

Hi there! My name is Jonathan and despite my profile, I hail from Canada. I have dabbled here and there with all forms of tobacco since I was very young and the one thing I never got into past buying a cheap pipe was real pipe smoking. Finally at the age of 36 years young, I bought what I would consider my first pipe. I find myself going wild for this and the one thing I will say that is truly amazing about smoking a pipe is the time required. You do nothing else but the ritual associated with the pipe. You pack the pipe, you light the pipe, you enjoy the pipe, you clean the pipe and then you start again.

I look forward to getting to know as many new folks as I can on this site. Thanks for all the efforts put into making this possible. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

calumet

Login to Send PM

Greetings from Calumet!

I'm a long-time pipe smoker, about 30 years. For many years, I smoked cigarettes and some cigars too, but for the past five years it's been pipes only. I really haven't done anything on pipe forums before, but I was doing a little research and came across yours and thought I would join up. It looks like a very informative site.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. chicagopiper

chicagopiper

Login to Send PM

Well, I finally made it. Many years of "surfing" this site and finally jumped in as a member. Pipe smoker for 15ish years, mostly aro's, outta Brighams, Savs and Petes. Have seen a lot of Chicago area members on this site. Look forward to many future posts and conversations. God Bless.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. englishdave

englishdave

Login to Send PM

It surely is a friendly group here. Only been an official member for a few days and already I have had friend requests from four people! So I guess it's time to introduce myself.

I started my briar apprenticeship while an undergraduate back in 1988 with a Peterson System #301. I smoked a variety of Dunhill and store blends for several years, and acquired some lovely pipes along the way. I've got eight now that have stood the test of time, some high end, some not so much, but all faithful.

I started smoking cigars in 1992 and drifted from the briar, eventually smoking both less and less. I haven't smoked my pipes in probably four years.

I recently unboxed my pipes from storage and have started smoking again. I was an early adopted of GL Pease Ravens Wing when it first came out. I was sad to see that it is no longer available. But Mr. Pease has not disappointed and I've been exploring his newer creations with gusto over the last few weeks of Christmas smoking.

As for work, I am currently a staff sergeant with the US Army, with one deployment to Iraq and getting ready to go to Afghanistan. A friend who smoked with me in college tells me he still has an unopened tin of Ravens Wing from 2003, and we are going to split it up so that I can smoke some while I'm downrange. In-between deployments I took advantage of the GI Bill and recently finished a masters degree in medical anthropology, looking at how the long recent wars are impacting the mental health of our service men and women, and the barriers they face when coming home and taking off the uniform.

This site is a wonderful resource. When I started smoking it was difficult to learn anything, and smoking was a strangely a pipe was a strangely lonely and disconnected pursuit. I guess the internet is good for something after all.

I look forward to spending more time connected to the brethren of the briar through both the ethereal quality of smoke, thought, and electrons.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. progger

progger

Login to Send PM

Welcome calumet, chicagopiper and englishdave! I have only been here a small while but I can certainly attest to the friendly. Feels like home away from home. Everyone is eager to help and super easy on the beginners like myself. Cheers and happy smoking!

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello all, new here... My name is Dave and have never smoked a pipe yet. Was given my dads pipe collection a while back and have always wanted to try them out but never got to it. I found this forum recently and have found tons of useful info and helpful people! So far I have cleaned up three pipes and am going to the tobacco shop tomorrow to find something. Hopefully nothing too strong, I have smoked black and milds every once in a while, tried cigs when I was young and hate them!! I hope to enjoy a long relaxing bowl on the patio soon

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. nashvilleric

nashvilleric

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone - I look forward to the discussions and the collective knowledge found here.

One good thing about having a lot of pipes, your wife doesn't notice when you get a new one.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipe8

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to come and introduce myself as I'm new to the forum!
    I'm a personal trainer and back specialist from the UK, recently took to the pipe after quitting cigars and have now found a new love.
    I have been around the forum and decided to join to meet new people and learn as much as I can in the process!

All the best and I look forward to chatting

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

gonzalez1

Login to Send PM

Hey all, I'm 18 and just got my first pipe yesterday, and am currently on my second smoke. I got a nice little corn cob pipe that I love. Hope to learn a lot from you experienced vets. Can already tell I'm going to be a pipe tobacky fanatic. I take on my occasional cigar, and cheek of chew. Looking forward to this site.

Ryan.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi, everybody --

I just returned to pipe smoking after a 20-something year hiatus. I must say it's disheartening to see that so many great pipe shops have disappeared in that interval, that we're now subject to punitive taxes on our tobacco, and that smoking in any form is looked upon with general disdain.

But, on the bright side, it's great to see that some classics (Iwan Ries, for example) are still going strong, that new sources for quality pipes (such as Ukraine) are starting to open up, and, most of all, that this forum exists. I look forward to many visits, and many pleasurable discussions with fellow members.

Thanks for being here...

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. englishdave

englishdave

Login to Send PM

Welcome 4dotsasieni:

As someone coming back to smoking myself after a long break I can sympathize with everything you've said. I found much the same thing myself. Still, it's nice to find such a vibrant community on the web.

Again, welcome. And to everyone else who has posted in the last few weeks since I made my own introductions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking around and reading the various post here for a few weeks now, and decided to go ahead and join.

I've been a cigarette smoker for over 20 years, but have just recently discovered the pleasure of pipe smoking. Now that I have, I've jumped right in with both feet. I started with a little basket pipe, and enjoyed it so much that I have started to try to build myself a little collection to rotate through. Its even helped me to cut back from 2.5 to less than 1 pack of cigarettes a day!

I look forward to talking with y'all (There's a little "Texan" for you) and learning more.

T. Sebastian

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. fadingdaylight

fadingdaylight

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Introduction... let's see... I took up smoking a pipe a little over a year ago, more out of curiosity than anything. Fell in love, and have spent a good part of the last year sampling new blends and wishing I could spring for a few more pipes. Right now I'm using my starter still, a 35 dollar briar. Currently deployed to Afghanistan, this is my 4th combat tour, been on Active Duty for just shy of 11 years now. The only blends I have tried so far are Tinderbox blends, as they have been affordable and readily accessible when I'm at home, but there are a few I love. I'm also interested in trying my hand at pipemaking in the near future.

- Jason
    "Lost in thought and lost in time... While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted... Outside the rain fell dark and slow... While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

slimpiknz

Login to Send PM

Hello, I am a new pip smoker after smoking cigars for 5 years. I thought it would be something new to try and I have fallen in love with this new hobby. At the moment I am using a Missouri Meerschaum but hoping to upgrade really soon and looking for suggestions on both pipes and blends. Being a Canadian I have realized that tobacco here is so much more than online so I'm always looking for online recommendations as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

easterntraveler

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and pipe smoking. I bought a couple of Meerschaums in 2008 on my deployment to Iraq and decided it was time to learn how to use it.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  58. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

Hello Every1,

I am new to the forum and to the brotherhood of the briar. I originally picked up pipe smoking back in 2006 before I went into the Marine Corps, didn't smoke at all through out my contract. And now I have picked it back up again. I ended up picking up a Dr. Grabow about a week ago and haven't put it down sice...lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

clarkkent

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,

I'm fresh to the pipe world but have been smoking cigars for a bit now. I just turned 29 last year. Funny how it goes.. First I started drinking scotch (and sometimes bourbon) then thought "how about a nice cigar to compliment my scotch" then as I explored more of the "older" ways of doing things I started wet shaving with a safety razor. Next thing I know I'm at the local tobacconist buying my first pipe. Gosh I sure hope this cycle stops before I'm in suspenders . Anyways here I am ready to try and pick up the subtlety of these new mechanics. Pipe smoking is one of those hobbies (much like fishing) where it seems the more you learn the less you realize you know. So please all you veteran pipe smokers out there lay some good mojo on me cause as much as I'm enjoying this new hobby I'm having a hell of a time just keeping my pipe lit.

Thanks
    Robert

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

agmg

Login to Send PM

Hello to everyone. Hope your year is off to a nice start. I'm CJ, 30 years old from Tennessee. I've never been a regular pipe smoker, but I do enjoy them when I get the chance. I generally prefer a nice mellow "night cap" sort of blend when it comes tobacco. When it comes to pipes, I prefer to look for somewhat of a unique look. That brings me to a question. Could anyone help me find out more about what sort of pipe it is I'm currently using or direct me toward a thread or other resource that may help me figure it out.

Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. oldpops41

oldpops41

Login to Send PM

Welcome all great place for information and to meet great people and just hang out and learn.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

jamessmithnz

Login to Send PM

Hi everybody,
    I joined this forum a week or so ago, but here I am to formally introduce myself.
    I am James and I come from New Zealand.
    I like to play around in the shed and see what i can knock together, decided to make a pipe. Here it is. This is version 2.0. I reshaped the mouth part because the original version did not sit very well.

This timber in called Rimu, its native to NZ and it used to be a common building material. However, it is now hard to come by and quite expensive. This piece was an old handrail from a demolished motel. I gauge it at at-least 100 years old.
    Being very amature I cut the basic shape out with a jigsaw and then filed and sanded then obviously had an attempt at rusticating it. I'm fairly happy with it and am looking forward to seeing how well or if at all it smokes!

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I've been on the forum for a few days, and I suppose I better go ahead and introduce myself to those who have seen me lurking around here and there. My name is Anthony, and I'm totally new pipe smoking. Doing pretty good so far I believe. Even with my first smoke, I've had 45 to 60 minute smokes and have never had to relight more than twice. I guess I'm a natural. I'm just a normal Jo working a full time job in a meat department at a grocery store. But I'm also a writer working on my first novel, a fantasy. My love for fantasy, in a way helped move me into the pipe smoking world. There's an awful lot of pipe smokers in those amazing fantasy stories. About a week into pipe smoking, I've discovered I really enjoy it. I've grown to love sitting outside with a hot coffee with irish cream in one hand and my pipe in the other, just smoking and thinking about nothing in particular. That being said, I'm loving this forum. The members have all been very kind and willing to help out when asked questions, or just respond to some random topic that I may have put up. Thanks all, for the warm welcome. Happy smokin'

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

praguepipesmoker

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone,
    Greetings from Prague! British expat pipe smoker here. Making the most of living in a smoker-friendly country

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. User has not uploaded an avatar

xzist13

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. Very new pipe smoker from Salida, CA (only one bowl in so far) and can't wait to see where this experience takes me. As a kid I always loved the smell of pipe tobacco and thought it would be something I would get into when I "grew up". About one month ago I'm driving around and see a city worker smoking a huge pipe while on the job and it inspired me to start. I joined up because a lot of my internet searches brought me here and found the conversations to be informative and patient with newcomers. Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. patrijks

patrijks

Login to Send PM

Hello guys and girls, I'm a 36 years old french and live near the atlantic ocean (la Rochelle). I began to smoke pipe when I was young but that was not a good experience... bad tobacco. I started again to smoke 6 months ago and when I discovered a french forum about pipe with gentle who give me instruction to choice better tobacco and for now it's a great adventure. I smoke regulary Semois in a Savinelli and will soon buy other tobacco. Sorry for my so bad english, it's easy for me to read it but not to speak.
    Best regards,

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. bvbriar

bvbriar

Login to Send PM

Hello folks,
    I'm Jason in Maryland. Been smoking, collecting, restoring and reselling pipes for 13 years. Not new to pipes, but just recently getting into the forums for some camaraderie.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. frubert

frubert

Login to Send PM

Hello!

Long-time lurker crawling out of the woodwork.

I've been collecting pipes for about three years now and am only an occasional smoker. I lived as an exchange student in Japan for a year. When I returned to America my friends gifted me with a churchwarden basket pipe. I was very cruel to that poor pipe but it taught me many lessons.

Two years ago I purchased my second pipe, an Andreas Bauer Calabash, and I have had major bouts of PAD ever since. I've discovered that I love estate pipes. I had some good luck at a local antique mall and have been working on learning how to restore them. My pipe collection stands at twenty two right now... but there must always be more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello! I'm Sean from Maine. Flake lover. I've only recently discovered Samuel Gawith, and good lord. I may have found true love in the 1792 (and to a slightly lesser extent with the Best Brown). With many opportunities for affairs with my (also) beloved lat blends, of course. Mmmboy 3 Oaks.

Nice to meetcha.

~seanMoses

"There can be no doubt that smoking nowadays is largely a miserable automatic business. People use tobacco without ever taking an intelligent interest in it. They do not experiment, compare, fit the tobacco to the occasion. A man should always be pleasantly conscious of the fact that he is smoking."
    -John Boynton Priestley
    Posted 1 year ago #
  70. chrissayre

chrissayre

Login to Send PM

Greetings, I am a two week pipe smoker and have tried only a few tobaccos. In general, I am loving the hobby. I was attracted to the hobby by the promised peaceful times and deep reflection, only to find out that I was not thinking about anything at all while smoking, and that, it turns out, is just as good. Cheers.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   brett40, cosmicfolklore, ericthered, msandoval858, kingjon, ravkesef, andya27, dukdalf, tobyducote, pruss, mrenglish, maxcady, samcoffeeman, hedgehog, jah76, elpfeife, huskysibe, andy