Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

[sticky]

New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1837 posts)
  1. hunter

hunter

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to pipe smoking, and I mean new, I've been smoking for just under a week now. I am a Canadian despite the profile claiming otherwise. I currently life in Edmonton Alberta where my local Tobacconist has helped me enter this great hobby and way of life. I am also taking part in other manly ventures such as growing a beard and brewing beer. I look forward to many quality conversations with all of you!

“My pipe is out, my glass is dry; My fire is almost ashes too; But once again, before you go, And I prepare to meet the New : Old Year! a parting word that's true, For we've been comrades, you and I - I thank God for each day of you; There! bless yo”
    - Robert Service
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

emsflyer84

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and new to pipe smoking, coming to you from the Great North Woods of New Hampshire. I've been intrigued with pipe smoking since around 2002 when a co-worker of mine used to smoke on the job, and I will never forget the first time I got the aroma. It was amazing and still one of my favorite scents.

I'm only 28 years old and a regular cigar smoker, but it's my turn with pipes now and I'm excited to talk to you all and get some good advice as I haven't even made my first pipe purchase yet! Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome, now go find yourself a new pipe.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

brassonly

Login to Send PM

Hello to everyone here. I am a new pipe smoker , just getting started. This web site along with other internet sites have been very very helpfull in getting me going. I had been considering getting into pipe smoking about 10 years ago but never did. I have never smoked all my life but had always enjoyed the aroma of some of the pipe smokers that were around when I was a kid. So this year when I was sitting out on my back porch enjoying a very pleasant evening with a friend who smokes cigarettes I mentioned to him how I felt about getting myself a pipe. We talked about it off & on for months and I kept telling him about the fond memories that I had of when I would be visiting at my Uncles place & how great it smelt when the guys would smoke pipe on the porch or in the smoke room. I am now 50 years old & decided to look into it again. This is where this site & other internet site really really helped me out. Right here were I live , in Northern Ontario, Canada I don't know any pipe smokers anymore so these internet sites were so helpfull with all kinds of great info. This is why I am now smoking pipe & enjoying it tremendously. Thanks to all of you !! Tonight I am going to enjoy a nice bowl of MacBaren's Vanilla Cream in my Peterson Pipe along with my cigarette smoking buddy who has now joined me as a Pipe smoker. Its great to sit back, relax & enjoy a quiet evening on the back deck having a smoke of some of our favourite tobaccos while watching the boats go by. Right now we are up to 6 different blends of tobacco in our tasting & trying. Over here in Northen Ontario getting any tobacco other than Captain Black at over $24.00 for a 1.5 oz pack is almost impossible. This again is where these internet sites have been amazing. WOW !!!! now we can order from sites like PipesandCigars and SmokingPipes and enjoy choosing from an amazing selection of tobaccos at prices way cheaper than up here in Canada even with shipping cost. So thanks again to everyone & hope to be around for a long time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ovidsmuse

Login to Send PM

Been lurking for a few months, decided to join. My grandfather and uncles and some cousins are pipe smokers, followed the tradition as soon as I turned 18. I'm also a brewer and wine maker and collector, though I usually drink carbonated water and tea while smoking. Looking into learning about blending, and more useful information this board has to offer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. tobratings

tobratings

Login to Send PM

Hello friends, I would introduce myself for the second time. My previous account was brando71 but unfortunately, I had it deleted because I involuntary break some forums rules in a couple of threads I posted some days ago. I will be more careful in the future. I was invited by the administrator Kevin to open a second account.

My name is Luigi and I started to smoke 20 years ago. I'm 41 and my main passion is the vintage pipe tobaccos collecting. I'm italian but I'm living in Bogotá, Colombia because my wife is Colombian, I was blessed with the born of my first baby Luna, 11 months ago. A former biomedical engineer, I'm following my dream to be an Italian chef with my two restaurants in this Country. My favs pipes are the italian brands, such like Castello, Bonfiglioli, etc. I prefer non-aromatic tobaccos and especially the American blends. Cheers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Welcome back Luigi.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. thextallxdude

thextallxdude

Login to Send PM

Hey, I've been smoking for nearly a year, since I turned eighteen. My social skills are not the best, I tend to run in circles, so I apologize to everyone for that in advance. But yeah, hey.

I currently live in Florida, but have traveled all over the world (Army child). I'm a classical musician, and also have autism, so I again apologize for any weirdness I give off on the forums.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. serkazong

serkazong

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!

I just started smoking 2 weeks ago and after discovering that I have several questions I found these forums. I started out going to a local Edward's shop (Im in Colorado) and bought a cheap LaRocca pipe and a couple Edward's brand blends. I bought a more traditional tobacco-y type, and a raspberry aromatic. I soon discovered that I dont want to smoke both of those out of the same pipe because I was getting the raspberry flavor when I smoked the other type. So I bought another pipe and a third Edward's tobacco.

Now I've ordered two more pipes online, and on a trip to Estes Park I went to a tobacco shop and bought 3 of his blends. I have a bunch of questions now, but I suppose its more proper to make those into threads in appropriate forums instead of here. Looking foward to your helpful advice, and snide comments as I know the internet is typically prone to provide (lol)

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

dawolf58

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone! What a great site! Just started smoking pipe a couple weeks ago. Long time cigar and Swedish snus lover, exploring pipes and tobacco has been so much fun, what I'm most surprised about is the influx of friend requests on this site even before I post! Look forward to many great conversations with everyone, my favorite times with the pipe are drinking single malt scotch and reading great books anyone want to join in good conversation let me know, looking forward to hearing from everyone, cheers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. charimon

charimon

Login to Send PM

Hello My name is Craig,
    II smoke mainly English & Balkan blends. I like Comoys Square shank apple and billiard style pipes, Vintage Dunhill 250, 251, 252, 253 series, and Peterson "system" pipes. My Favorite pipe at the moment is a is a second hand long stem Canadian with "DUSKY DULCET" stamped on it, It sets in the mouth well and smokes as well as any I own.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. av8r

av8r

Login to Send PM

Hello All - Long time pipe smoker(ie: old coot)and ran across this forum a while back. Lots of good info here and I enjoy reading about everyones taste, preferences, etc.
    Decided to join so I could throw my 2c in once in a while.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

dixon

Login to Send PM

Hello Gentlemen. I am looking forward to gaining and sharing information. We seem to be a hidden breed these days. A Briar smoker, trapped in the clutches of Peterson's of Dublin in regards pipe and tobacco range, but am always happy to experience new mixes and advice. A pleasure to meet you all.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikros

Login to Send PM

Hello, Jeff here, my screen name "mikros" means small or little in greek, Im 6'3" and not exactly "small" lol my screen name comes from a dwarf toon I played on an MMORPG.

Far as pipes go my first one was a reed-stem clay pipe I bought as a prop basically for a furtrade re-enacting and muzzleloading club I was in (and hope to get back into soon). I decided to actually try that that pipe out (almost completely randomly picked out Captain Black White) and liked it so I got a few missouri meerschaums and eventually three briars too. Truth be told I think I like the way my corncobs and clay smokes better than my briars.

As of today I have 3 new clays coming in the mail and also a "forever stem" from Briarworks coming for my missouri meerschaums.

I have recently discovered I like Dunhill 965 and London Mix a lot. I intend to try Nightcap and Royal Yacht soon. Also like some of the Edward's house blends I have tried a lot, particularly Special Balkan and Pirate's Den.

Neat forum, looks fun.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

sailorjohnny

Login to Send PM

Hello All!

I started smoking a pipe years ago as a Navy type squid. I discovered that on long deployments everyone will bum your smokes, but they never want to share your pipe. Truly, one has never enjoyed a good bowl until you have done it standing on the bow watching the sun rise over the center of the Atlantic.

My original tobacco defense plan quickly developed into a full blown hobby collecting both pipes and interesting tobaccos. While life, kids and all that sort of crap has killed my "I think I'll blow a paycheck on a pipe or two today" days, I recently acquired a few very nice unsmoked estate pipes, and I decided to give a Mr. Brog a try.

I joined up here after much lurking without logging as I would not have purchased a Brog if I hadn't read some of the results posted in the forums. I must say, I am a convert now.

I am dry-docked in Nebraska these days, land of the "good luck even finding another pipe smoker" so I figured I would jump in on the converstations.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. gageploungin

gageploungin

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. I'm in Portland, OR and switched to pipe from cigs a few months ago and haven't looked back since! I'm still figuring out what I like most in a tobacco. I happened onto this site doing web searches about different types of pipe tobacco.

“Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses to be bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?”
    ― Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. seanavan

seanavan

Login to Send PM

Welcome, gageploungin, from another Portlander who hasn't been on here all that long. This is a great site full of information and knowledgeable people.

Welcome to all the other new people as well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

ncohen

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow kapnismologists, my name is Norm. Despite the fact that I can't find this word in the dictionary, I know it has been used to designate us pipe smokers. I am new to this website, but not to pipe smoking. I discovered this site while web browsing and joined. I am looking forward to exploring it in depth. I am semi retired and live in South Florida, originally from Chicago. My father was a pipe smoker, and I have fond memories of pipes going back to my childhood. My father took me to purchase my first pipe and tobacco when I was about 15 years old, and I haven't really given it up since, hence 46 or 47 years of enjoying this hobby (ouch)! I have the majority of the pipes I have acquired since I started smoking, and have some interesting ones, both vintage and new. I smoke predominantly briar, my favorite shape is Canadian, but have a good representation of most shapes available in addition to freehands. I enjoy mostly natural English blends which lean heavy on Latakia, but also enjoy Oriental, Perique, and aged Virginians. I look forward to discovering and trying some new proprietary blends reccommended by members. I am also interested in exploring reccommended private tobacconists and trying some of those blends as well. I think it is getting progressively harder to find "true" tobacconists who blend their own, as opposed to buying blends in bulk and repackaging them for sale. There were several "true" tobacconists in Chicago, which sadly, are no more. I am interested in discussing with others some of the attributes of blends which are no longer available; such as the original Balkan Sobranie, Brush Creek, Bowl of Roses, etc. I am also intersted in discussing some of the books and magazines that have come and gone related to smoking in general, and pipe smoking in particular. Glad to be on board!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

welcome Norm to the forum

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

Denver, CO
    Daily Pipe Smoker

Good day everyone. My name is John and I started smoking pipes when I inherited my grandfathers pipe collection when I was in my youth. As I got older I tried Drug Store tobaccos and never felt like it was for me so I would get into smoking a pipe for a few weeks and then revert to cigarettes. I have smoked cigs for way too many years and now as I am a few years short of 40 I decided I needed a better way to smoke. I purchased an Italian pipe in 2004 that I smoked on and off until it broke in 2007. At that point I puffed on the pipe mainly on weekends and not much at all during those weekends. Now it is 2012 and I am really getting into pipe smoking due to wanting to quit smoking and the comments I heard from some ladies at a club when a guy was outside puffing on a pipe and they all thought the smell was amazing. I'll admit I suddenly was grasped with the feeling that "this is for me". I jumped online and purchased several pipes from various places and one locally over a 6 month period. I now have a "collection" with many tins of tobacco and bags of tobacconist blends procured locally.

I am already blending my own tobaccos together and have placed a very big 200 dollar order for a wide variety of bulk tobaccos to see what else is out there (great prices online if you look hard enough). I still smoke cigs at work but I plan to quit all together this winter. I guess I will need to find a pipe pouch so I can smoke my pipe quickly over lunch and not offend anyone when I have to bring it inside afterwards. But I can tell this is a fun hobby and so many new discoveries lie ahead!

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome John to the forum....mixing things together is always fun.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

21maclaid

Login to Send PM

g'day mates, i just recently started smoking a pipe, but i have been interested in pipe smoking ever since i was knee high to a mouse, i really enjoy just sitting in a chair with a glass of spiced rum and smoking a bowl over sunset. i have found that for me pipe smoking has become my form of deep meditation and i time for reflection on the day or week since i last had a pipe.

Just to introduce myself my name is Aidan, i am from a town named Orange about 250km west of sydney Australia

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Aidan!

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

dolfbeeler

Login to Send PM

Hi folks. Geez, one day and I already have five friends. You guys sure don't leave a stranger to cool his heels on the back porch around here. Thanks!

I'm not really the "collector" sort. I inherited a few pipes years ago and have taken up the vice mostly because my principle vice, cigarettes, got so darned expensive. I buy a new pipe now and again (or let family buy them as presents, they gotta give me something, right?) and occasionally I try some fancy new tobacco, but mostly I stick to the Prince in the tried and true.

Anyhow, it's nice to find this place and I'll be seeing you folks around.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. ramblinhawk

ramblinhawk

Login to Send PM

Hello to everyone. My name is Jeff, I'm in my early 30s, and I'm a lawyer in a small town in Southeast Nebraska. I have two young daughters and a beautiful wife. Outside of work and family, my interests are primarily musical: I play piano (some pop, jazz, and classical), occasionally violin, am the principal organist at my church, and occasionally sing some barbershop music. I've been smoking cigars since college and continue to do so, but purchased a cheap straight pipe (here: http://tinyurl.com/cq9bs2d) and some bulk tobacco (here: http://tinyurl.com/cdzowfj) back in June. Aside from that I know nothing about pipes, pipe tobacco, or pipe smoking. I got frustrated at first, because I could not keep the pipe lit. I'm getting better at that, thanks to some helpful YouTube videos and articles that I found. I found this site through Google.

I'm looking forward to reading through the archives and learning more about pipes and tobacco. I would also appreciate any pipe recommendations for a newbie, and tobaccos that you think a cigar smoker like me might enjoy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum Jeff, I worked as an Organbuilder for 7 years

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. macattack

macattack

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. I'm Kevin. I am another disgruntled sports fan from the Buffalo, NY area. I started smoking a pipe about 2 months ago. Like a lot of others, I usually smoke cigars but wanted to venture out and try something new. I am lucky enough to have 4 tobacconists within a 35 minute drive from my house. The closest one being about 5 minutes away.

I have 6 briar pipes which include 2 Dr. Grabows, a Molina and 3 pipes from local pipe makers. I also have 6 corn cobs that I have in the rotation.

I have been lurking here learning a lot about this hobby and I want to say thanks for all the information that you all have inadvertently provided me.

- Kevin -

Flakes, Plugs and Crumble Kakes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. lumberjakpipester

lumberjakpipester

Login to Send PM

Hello there, I've been a on and off pipe smoker for about 5 years now, and I am still learning everyday, I was on other internet forums, but I though a change of scenery was in order, you know, that whole expand your horizons thing! lol I am a huge Brigham pipe fan, I own almost 2 dozens, and smoke one every day! My favorite tobaccos at the moment is luxury navy flake, from Peter Stokkebye and carter hall. But to be honest, I have rarely tried a tobacco I despise! I look forward to getting to know all of you fine folks!

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

boozezombie

Login to Send PM

I'm a 22 year old Welsh man attending college, I've casually smoked cigars and cigarettes on a social or "spur of the moment" basis and gotten the basics down. Looking for a more smooth and flavoursome method of enjoying smoke in my mouth, I decided to invest in a pipe, which is being delivered as I type.

My first pipe of my own ownership will be a Mr Brog pearwood churchwarden and I've just bought some Kendal vanilla shag for my pipe when it comes along, so we'll see how this all goes. Hopefully I'll become a regular member of the community, inbetween college education sessions and partying, of course.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome guys to the forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. cmkiefer

cmkiefer

Login to Send PM

Hi all. I joined about 2 weeks ago and have been a lurker just seein' what the general environment is here. I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on the shore of Lake Superior. Picked up pipe smoking in the late 80's while in the Air Force and smoked exclusively Captain Black Royal and really never learned the proper way to smoke a pipe (I smoked 'em hot and just HAD to scrape all that crust out of the bowl!). I gave it up after a few years, but never got rid of my pipes. Went to smoking aromatic type cigars...Swishers, Middletons, Black and Tans, etc. Just started with the pipes again in the last couple of years and have learned a lot about slowing down and keeping it cool.

I've learned alot here already and you guys seem like a great bunch to hang out with. Look forward to the interaction.

Chris

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Chris to the forum, now it's time for you to try some English blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

hello everyone, my name is mike lyvers. iam from louisville,kentucky. i was a forum member for about a year, i was kicked off the forum for a forum violation which i highly regret. i have been allowed to rejoin this great forum. i have missed this forum greatly. iam very sorry for the violation. i want to say iam very sorry to all forum members and to kevin. i realize my mistake. i hope to be active forum member once again. i love pipes and tobacco and everything associated with our hobby. you guys are great, thank you.

take care all.

mike.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. adam12

adam12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome all

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome back Mike

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

thanks hobie1dog and adam12.

mike.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. jsiddle

jsiddle

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hows everyone doing?

Names Jared, currently living in San Antonio, TX, originally from San Diego, CA.

I might be the youngest member here only 26 years young.

I am a technology freak. (Know an extreme amount about phones, laptops, ultrabooks, desktop pcs, so if you
    have any questions about that stuff or advice/recommendations, let me know)

I work as a graphic designer for a computer store chain in TX, Altex Electronics.

I hold an associates of applied sciences from ITT tech in Multimedia, and I love to design / draw.

Got into pipe smoking because I remember the smell and watching my grandpa sitting at the table smoking his pipe
    and really wanted to give it a shot.

If theres anything else you want to know about me, http://www.facebook.com/jaredsdesigns

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Jared, we have some teenagers on here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome all the new members and welcome back Mike

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 2 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

willjames

Login to Send PM

hi i'm will been smoking a pipe since i was 18 i'm a photographer and painter
    i love music, movies, comics, art, video games books i'm a bit of a geek
    i hope to learn more about pipe smoking here look forward to getting to know you all

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. jsiddle

jsiddle

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Will!

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. annioli

annioli

Login to Send PM

Hello. I am definitely new to smoking, just started a couple weeks ago. I have been a pipe enthusiast for a bit longer, just never smoked. My first smoking experience was with briar; but I've found that as a new smoker, I'm having an easier time with meerschaum right now. Will hopefully "re-graduate" to briar at some point. Give breaking in my own pipe a go. I have been told that I am spoiled as far as pipe choices are concerned. My boyfriend has been a collector for about 30 years, so my first briar experience was with one of his Ashton's. I am now breaking myself in as a smoker on a Strambach meerschaum he just gave me. So, again, lucky me. I entered the pipe world because I started doing a lot of buying/selling of estate pipes so that my BFs pipe addition wouldn't force us into financial insolvency. (That's only sort of a joke. And since I am an art-lover, history-lover, and information-geek in general, this means that I had no choice but to research and learn a lot about pipes & pipe-making over the last year, cause, well, that's just how I am. Ha. I find the craftsmanship and history extremely interesting, love the artistry, especially of Italian crafted briar. And now that I've decided to dive in as a smoker (which I think was inevitable), I'm learning about tobacco blends. Many many questions will be forthcoming I'm sure. Bear with me if you can! Cheers!

Ignorance is dangerous. Innocence is bliss!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  44. jsiddle

jsiddle

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome annioli, I am new here as well

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

joseph

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone i am Joseph. i am 30 yrs old. i live in east texas. i have been a cigar smoker for awhile. i am in the middle of moving and meet my new neighbor over the weekend. as we were talking i offered him a cigar. After the cigar he offered me a pipe. i had never smoked a pipe until then. i really enjoyed the taste, smell, and frankly everything about it. The next day he walked over and handed me a pipe and 4 bags of diff. tabaco. i knew right then this was a great neighbor and a great brother of the leaf. He told me about this website, so i am here to learn as much as i can. i trully am about as green/noob as they come! thanks crpntr1 for the pipe and baccy and telling me about this place. thanks,Joseph

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. vdubguy18

vdubguy18

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is Del, I am 27yrs old and from Tampa.

To make a long story short...I used to smoke cigars every now and then prior to getting married. Well...needless to say my better half (Wife) has a stong dislike to smoking period. But most of all she HATES the smell of a cigar.

So recently I thought of my grandfather who passed away when I was around 3-4 yrs old. Other then pictures the only thing I can remember about him is that he smoked a pipe and I recall always smelling sweet cherries.

So I decided to follow in his steps and try pipe smoking. So I have been to a local tobacconist as well as found a few pipe smokers (Rare Existance) in the area. Those people have given me a wealth of knowledge. I have also been lurking forums, YouTube, and well...Ebay.

As of yet no complaints from my better half...other than the simple rule of no smoking inside the house...So things are going great and I have already done a small sample order from Milan Tobaccos. I am currently putting together a bucket list as I am planning a order from either P&C or SmokingPipes. I have mostly only smoked aromatics but I am looking to branch out.

Well...I think that is enough about me...Hopefully I can learn a lot from everyone here as well as make plenty of new friends within the pipe community.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

maxpower

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone,

I joined the site a few weeks ago, but I wanted to wait until I had something to post. I'm very new to pipe smoking, having just gotten my first pipe about a month ago. Before then I'd smoked cigars here and there, and was a casual cigarette smoker. However, pipe smoking seemed almost a lost art to me. That is until I did some research on the internets. Youtube has been an incredible resource. Having watched some select video channels and delved into some online forums, I decided to dive in and buy a pipe.

I purchased a nice Aldo Velani rusticated billard briar pipe from pipesandcigars.com and began my journey. I made the mistake of buy some very cheap Captain Black tobacco (just to get a feel for the experience) and was not please with the experience. I soon learned the error of my ways and purchased some Mississippi River tobacco and was set on the right path! Great smoke!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying out different blends and learning more about the experience that is pipe smoking!

Cheers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums ..
    @Joseph, my pleasure...hang around and post often

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Just an old dog here. Been pipe smoking a long time. I have been looking around this forum for awhile and seems like a great group. Hope I can contribute to the group, even if it's just good conversation or story telling.

Happy Jack

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. aaronbrill

aaronbrill

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for about a week and figured I should join up. I've been enjoying the information and help everyone shares, it sure seems like a great group of people. Anyway, I'm 33 years old and I've been a non-smoker my whole life but just recently decided to take up the pipe. I'm sure my story is a familiar one...I had a grandfather that smoked a pipe every day and I was always intrigued by it and enjoyed it when he smoked. He passed away last December so the pipe is my way of helping keep his memory going. I bought a corncob pipe and a pouch of one of the tobaccos he used to smoke and I've been enjoying it ever since.

Aaron

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone... new to the site but been smoking a pipe since 1992. I am really enjoying the fact that pipe's seem to be making a comeback... anyways hope to see some of you around the forums as I explore the site some more.

now for a quick snippet of me: I am 42 married with 2 children and and I design and manufacture high end custom furniture for a family business, I have been practicing Muay Thai for almost 16 years now and love all combat sports. I love the mountains and am into self reliance and survivalism... oh and I LOVE my fire-arms other than that just a sarcastic ass (so dont take things I say too serious) but if you get me, its allot of fun.
    anything else... just ask.

Have a great day,
    Erick.

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  52. lasttango

lasttango

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone... new to the site and new to pipes... quit cigarettes a few years back and I've been vaping... works great for getting off of cigs... but I do miss the taste of real tobacco... my father was a pipe smoker... and I had the opportunity to try many pipes in his fine collection over the years... Ordered my first pipe a few days ago... and I am excited to get going... One thing I am looking for is some good rich tobacco with anise/licorice notes... thanks, G

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members. Many of us here are pipe smokers because of our Grandfathers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. nehemias88

nehemias88

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to smoking in general and decided to pick up a pipe over a cigar and I couldn't be happier. I joined the site to inform myself and keep me optimistic no matter how many times my pipe goes out. I'm looking forward to a healthy pipe smoking future.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

ouirknotamuzd

Login to Send PM

Hi, Everyone
    My name's Pete and I live in CT. I'm 48 and I've been a smoker since I was 18, mostly cigars and cigarettes, but pipe smoking is something relatively new for me. I've been hooked since my first bowl of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe that a friend from a cigar forum sent me and since then I've been something of a fiend buying different types of pipe tobaccos to experience, along with a couple of estate pipes and new pipes, which I'm still breaking in.
    I found this forum during a Google search I was doing on pipe tobacco blending and was impressed with the wealth of knowledge I discovered among the various threads I've gone through. You folks really know your stuff:)
    I've still got lots to learn about pipes and the art of pipe smoking, but I think I'm the right place to continue my education.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. vinvin

vinvin

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, I am Kevin from Toronto Ontario, Canada. I am new to this forum as well as to pipe smoking. I currently have 2 pipes, one is an S&T and the other is a Zero, both handmade in china and they were given to me as gifts. I hope to learn much from everyone here. Thanks in advance!

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. sinister

sinister

Login to Send PM

Hello...

Name is Adam, located in Central FL and a new pipe smoker for a few months now. Ive enjoyed cigars here and there (never a cig smoker) and sort of out of a joke, I bought a pipe and come to find out I actually enjoy it much more than cigars...which seems to be a trend I see on here. Been lurking the forums for a bit now just reading and educating myself on pipes in general. Seems the general population here is ranging in all ages and pretty laid back, which is cool!

Some background on me... huge gearhead and cart nut, I do autocross racing, surf (work in the surf industry) and skate. I also work in the graphics/print industry and currently own 2 businesses in both the surf industry and website/graphics. Into music, and play guitar/bass.

Look forward to contributing when I can!

Adam
    Posted 2 years ago #
  58. dpkrause

dpkrause

Login to Send PM

Hello Pipemagazine forum. I am located in the Chattanooga, TN area. New pipe smoker looking to expand my pipe and tobacco knowledge. Started smoking a pipe about a year ago. Started off with the most awful pipe. A $20 cheap pipe from a "Pipe and Tobacco" store (aka head shop). I swear it was made of plastic and had the worst draw imaginable. It is amazing I stuck with it. Picked up a bunch of cheap estate pipes (30 pipe for $30) and started restoring them, most of them are Dr. Grabow pipes. The Dr. Grabow was a huge improvement. Been researching various pipes and I am looking to get something like this: Savinelli Pipe set and this: Peterson Harp. Lately I am smoking a local blend from the Chattanooga Billiard Club called the Burn's Blend. It is ok, but like my pipe situation, I am looking to expand my horizons. I going to order some from Boswell's here shortly. Working a weird schedule right now so no time to sit down and enjoy this hobby of late, but thought I would get to at least discuss pipes and tobacco in the mean time. Thanks for having me and looking forward to hearing you from you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

kj27

Login to Send PM

I'm Kenny, from Richmond, Va. I've been lurking on the forum for a couple weeks now, reading as much as I could. I'm a born-again pipe smoker, used to smoke about 20 yrs ago while I was in the Corps. I was 19 at the time and partook of cigars and cigarettes while I delved in pipes. Didn't have anyone to teach me, I had a Dr. Grabow and whatever baccy I could find at the drug store. I gave it up after a few months. I still smoke cigars, make my own cigarettes, and my interest in RYO cigarettes actually drew me back into the pipe fold, so to speak. I'm starting all over, learning all that I can. I've decided to start my new adventure with an order from cigarsandpipes.com (I love their customer service and their shipping is fast). My first 2 pipes are on the way from ebay....a Venturi billiard (one of the "infamous" the pipe's) and a Marxman that I like the looks of. I'm thinking I'm going to focus on estates, restoring them, and having fun finding what works for me and what doesn't. I've got some Pirate Kake, AJ's VaPer, Ambassador's Blend, Bayou Night, and Three Friars on the way. I look forward to the pipe journey and to making friends with the wise and esteemed men and women on this forum. Thanks for all that you've taught me already.

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Marine!
    Please allow me to express my gratitude for your service to our country, my family, and me.
    There are lot of us Jar Heads here and many greatly respected representatives from every branch as well.
    Tons of really knowledgeable gentlemen and ladies as well.
    We run the gamut from Culinary Students to Licensed Funerary Service Technicians and then there's Hobie1dog.

Seriously, we're glad you have joined our ranks.
    We all look forward to your questions, comments, and pictures.

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

kj27

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've noticed that there's quite a few service personnel here, devildogs nothwithstanding. I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet, so to speak, and learning and getting advice from the members here. As soon as my pipes arrive, I'll be sure to post some pics

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. fireman03

fireman03

Login to Send PM

Howdy PM forum. I also have been lurking for sometime of here. I have been a cigar smoker for about 15 years. I have attempted to pickup pipe smoking a couple time without any success. That was before of found this site. So far, I am off to a better start this time thanks to the info on here.

Great forum, keep it up guys. I wish I had some knowledge to add, but I probably rank up there as one of the worst pipe smokers thus far LOL. Hopefully, down the road, I can be a productive member.

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. pipeshark

pipeshark

Login to Send PM

Hiya pipe buddies!! Joined a few days ago, and have been perusing the forums through the weekend. While not technically new to pipe smoking, I am new to this site, it's forums, and all of you, so a great big HELLO to everyone, and thank you to those who have already been kind enough to "friend" me. By nature I am hesitant regarding the whole social media thing so I may be a bit "turtle-ish" in getting photos up, but this is pipe smoking after all.. and we all gotta know where our priorities are!! I look forward to getting to know you all better and hopefully participating in some great discussions.

May you next bowl be your best bowl!!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  65. mrats

mrats

Login to Send PM

Hello, My name is mr. A.T.S feel free to make up your own nickname, as I didnt notice the rodent reference until after the fact
    I dont mind it much though. Im 22, years old, live in Idaho, and am fairly new to pipe smoking. I have quickly discovered that pipes are one of the great and simple pleasures of life. I'd like to send out a warm thank you to those who have already friended me, a few of you are already familiar names to me as I've been stalking the forums since I started smoking pipes.

Working with an extension of yourself is the older method of alchemy
    Posted 2 years ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

anachronislad

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, my name is Ian. I've been smoking pipes for a couple of months now and I'm loving it. I found this site after I decided that I wanted to be part of a pipe smoking community and start learning a lot more about pipes and pipe smoking. This is definitely a hobby I'm not going to quit anytime soon and I figure it would be time even better spent amongst friends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. peteross

peteross

Login to Send PM

Hello all,
    I'm a California farmer. I started to smoke regularly a few months ago. I'm here to learn, buy/sell/trade, and be a part of the community. I'm currently on aromatics but I'm very curious about the other offerings and hope to try some soon.

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Howdy all pipe brethren, I'm an active member on Smokers Forums (aka kashmir) and decided it's about time I renewed my membership on this fine forum. So, I'm glad to be back, and learn from you good folks here on Pipe Magazine. I've been smoking a pipe since the early 1980s, and prefer classic English pipes, and heavy Latakia blends like Star of the East, Pirate Kake, Odyssey, Westminster, Charring Cross, Balkan Sasieni, etc. I also like cobs and Falcons. And I used to smoke only Prince Albert and Captain Black White. Over the years I've become more of a Latakia smoker, but I hit the old Captain every now and then, especially in public. I go through about 5 to 10 bowls a day, and I am never without a packed pipe. Life goes better with a pipe, from taking out the garbage and doing laundry, to smoking on the porch pondering earthly matters, to driving to a job interview. So I pretty much have a pipe going all day. I counteract any negative side effects (hahaha) I walk five miles a day. So when I bump into an anti-tobacco sort, I've got ammunition at the ready. Well, I guess that's it for now. Looking forward to interacting with you kind folk and learning a thing or two.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  69. kayak

kayak

Login to Send PM

Howdy folks, I a fairly new (month in) and fairly infrequent smoker (2-3 times a week). That being said, I have fallen headfirst into the hobby and am thoroughly enjoying the collecting aspects that go along with it. I'm currently a junior in college, and I've found that to be able to sit back and enjoy a pipe a few times a week is a lovely coping mechanism for dealing with the drunken antics of those around me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. tomsmithusa

tomsmithusa

Login to Send PM

Hello,

New to the Forum, after 45 minutes fiddling with the Avatar, I failed at a profile picture instead got something of a pipe lighter.

I've smoked pipes since about 2000 . . . going through the drugstore, friends' mixes, and Dunhill brands, settling on Dunhill's Royal Yacht. When they suspended producing Dunhill for the U.S. in 2007 or so, and after trying replacements I found MacBaren's H&H Mature Virginia a very nice replacement. By now, (Ha!) I see Dunhill is back producing for the States.

Whew, I think I got the Avatar figured out.

Blessed be the man who invented smoking, the soother and comforter of a troubled spirit, allayer of angry passions, a comfort under loss of breakfast, and to the roamer in desolate places, the solitary wayfarer through life, serving for wife, children, and friends."

-- “an English Wanderer in the trackless forests of South Africa,” from Alfred Dunhill’s “The Pipe Book”.
    Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ivapewithfire, texmexpipe, peckinpahhombre, jessicac, frank13, blueeyedogre, shaintiques, trailboss, mmjk, mephistopheles, cobguy, pitchfork, fearsclave, robin, boilermakerandy, yaddy306, jjm1, oldtoby, meerschaumsteve, planetary, jallan, cortezattic