Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

[sticky]

New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1815 posts)
  1. wolfie90

wolfie90

Login to Send PM

Howdy, names greg and im 22. I started smoking pupes bout year or two ago but it didnt keep. But not to long ago my father picked up a estate collection that ive been helping him clean up and he decided i could keep a couple of the ruffer and abused ones lol. I fixed a couple dr grabows up and have been enjoying it ever since i fount out how to do it correctly from here. So far ive learned tons of stuff just skiming thru all the information on here and hoPe to learn lots more bout enjpying my pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Greg to the forum

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. kelp

kelp

Login to Send PM

Hello all. I suppose I should have posted here a little bit ago. You may have seen some of my other posts in a few threads. My name is Caleb, I am 25. I started pipe smoking back in '05 during my freshman year of college. I greatly enjoyed it, along with a few friends of mine. After my sophomore year of college I joined the Air Force and forgot the great pleasure of pipe smoking. Last week one of those old college buddies passed a pipe smoking article my way. I read it and the old flame of excitement for pipe smoking was rekindled. Since that time I have been all over this forum, pipesandcigars.com and many other places chomping at the bit to once again join you fine gentlemen in the great pursuit of pipe smoke. I do not know a great deal, so you may see me asking quite a few questions that might be considered "rookie" or "newbish", please bear with me. I look forward to learning about and enjoying this great past time in your esteemed company!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome Caleb to the forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

caliban

Login to Send PM

Hello All, I'm Caliban. I've been smoking pipes all my life but just recently been accessing all the pipe lore on line and learning a lot. Much better now with pipe tobacco reviews, videos on YouTube. Got some Everclear and some kosher salt today and going to start cleaning up some estates from EBay: Ropps from the 70s, for example.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

cigarstorejay

Login to Send PM

HEllo to all at this forum. My name is Jay. I've been smoking pipes for quite a few years and am happy to talk all things pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. I joined here some days ago after lurking here and on other pipe forums for years. Although I've been smoking pipes for a long time, until recently, pipes were second to cigars for me, so gravitated my on line activity and and focus in that direction. I retired from the Army in 1996 and from a second career as a consultant to the military in 2006, that's when I bought and moved into a house on the ocean here on Maine's Midcoast.

I'm not much into social media (not at all, in fact). My cell phone is just a phone and phone book -- itd oesn't even take photos. I'm not much into "personalizing" things, so an avatar of me here is not likely to happen. In fact, photos from me will be rare to nonexistent since I'd have to get my DW to take the photos for me LOL.

Finally, I'd like to thank those of you that sent me friend requests already ... a nice gesture ... forgive me for not immediately jumping on those. I may get to answering them in due time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bott

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

My name is Bryan, I'm the crazy pipe smoking gorilla. I've been smoking a pipe off and on for 8 years but recently I've found myself lighting up like a chimney. I'm well versed in cigar and tobacco knowledge but I'm kind of a newb when it comes to all things pipe. Hoping to learn from everybody here to further my new interest and help our company provide more pipe products that "real" pipe guys want. Now, which way was it to my hazing?

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi guys. Just found this forum and signed up. Happy to be here. I am a NYC artist with over 56 years of pipesmoking experience. I have recently been augmenting a depleted stock of pipes acquired as a teenager.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. erdnase

erdnase

Login to Send PM

Greetings,

I found this forum while searching for a new pipe.

I've decided after a long hiatus to get back into the hobby. I stopped around 2004 when my Father passed away. It was something he and I did together while playing cribbage. I started purchasing pipes again about 6 months ago. However, my Mother recently sent me the last pipe my Father used. She said it needed my attention. I enthusiastically agreed! Tonight I loaded some Frog Morton in honor of my Father and played cribbage with another pipe enthusiast.

I'm looking forward to the discussions.

Onward...

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

This is a reintroduction so I will keep things short and sweet.

I was on this forum religiously for a few months about 1.5 years ago and then for a number of reasons I temporarily gave up the pipe...

Anyway, now I'm back in the saddle and starting to enjoy my pipes once more.

I always used to smoke cobs but I am soon going to branch out with my first briar. I've tried all kinds of blends from aros (mostly bad experiences) to latakia mixtures (mixed results) but I'm now going to zero in on Virginias and Virginia Perique blends for the long haul...

Anyways gents, I hope to catch up with you all and to stay current about the changes in the pipe community. If I drift off again, the odds are it was for a reason and that I will return again!

All the best...

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

eoberg

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. My name is Erik, and I am new to pipe smoking. I picked up my first pipe about a month ago, and have been immensely enjoying the process of learning to smoke it. I have tried several different types of tobacco, trying to find my niche, but I haven't zeroed in on it, yet. In fact, I haven't met a tobacco I didn't like as of this writing. My nearest tobacco shop is a tinderbox, so I am pretty much going through their inventory an ounce at a time just to develop my taste. I look forward to reading through this site, and learning from the accumulated wisdom that you all have to offer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. whimsyt

whimsyt

Login to Send PM

Hi!

Joined a bit ago, but haven't posted yet. I'm WhimsyT, yes, one of the female members of the pipe smoking tribe.

I've sadly been bitten by the PAD and TAD bugs waaaaaaay too much, but I have been enjoying my exploration with baccys and pipes! I've learned a lot in a very short time, as well as beginning to develop my palate and pipe preferences. I have a blog where I write of my adventures.... http://shesgotpipes.blogspot.com/

For now, I enjoy VaPers most. Would love to get my hands on just enough Butera Kingfisher to try it as I hear it's the bomb diggity. Until then, I have Solanie 369, Sutliff Private Stock Golden Age, and Haunted Bookshop (I know, they have Burley in them, too) to keep me going, along with a few others I like, such as MacBaren Scottish Blend and McClelland's Oriental. A pipe friend sent me just enough Bullseye Flake to try it, and that's another big hit for me!

On my TAD wish list are: all of the Cornell & Diehl Hebraica series, John Patton's Storm Front and Cool Hand Fluke, and of course, the Butera Kingfisher, which I'll probably never be able to find.

My pipe collection has grown exponentially! But perhaps I'll get into that more later. I need to get going with my day for now.

Glad to be here! Looking forward to making a few pipe friends here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

arcjaie

Login to Send PM

Greetings! My name is Justin. 34 year old ex-dipper, husband, and soon to be first time father (wife due September 2nd) Picked up the pipe a couple of weeks ago to help with the no dipping and loving it. I've been smoking Nightcap due to the nicotine levels but the wife hates the room note. In the market for a high nicotine, full flavored, beautiful smelling aromatic if such a beast exists Just wanted to say hello!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. pauliepipes

pauliepipes

Login to Send PM

Welcome all newcomers. I wanted to suggest a tobacco for Justin. First congratulations on the new soon to be family member. Latakia will do that to others in the room ....
    So I wanted to make a suggestion on a nice tobacco that may fit your bill. Try Davidoff Flake Medallions. It has good strong flavors and a nice hit of Cavendish that adds. nicely to a pleasant room note. If you do try it, please let me know what you think.

Regards, Pailiepipes

P.S. I don't know why my picture does not come up here. Anyone know why?

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

arcjaie

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paulie! I'll give it a shot. Thank you for the suggestion.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. deltatangent

deltatangent

Login to Send PM

Hello, I'm only 19 and I just recently entered the world of pipe smoking, it's an interesting culture. I used this site to get the majority of information to start out. I thought I might as well make a profile too.

I'm trying out different blends right now, Middleton's Cherry and Paladin Black Cherry. I really want to find a good, sweet tasting tobacco to smoke regularly.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. whimsyt

whimsyt

Login to Send PM

Hey Delta

I had a whole bunch of cherry blends, including Middelton's and Paladin's. Didn't like any of them on their own, but when I mixed them all together? They are now awesome. And I'm not a big fan of aros.

For an aro you might enjoy, I highly recommend Boswell's Christmas cookie and Piper's Pleasure. I prefer Piper's Pleasure a little over Christmas Cookie, since I am not a huge fan of aros. But it may fit the bill for your longing for good and sweet.

The only drugstore blend I've found that might fit your bill is Middleton's Black & Mild.

The exploration and discovery is all part of the journey, and it's fun. Enjoy it!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

plato

Login to Send PM

Hello to all!

Hi there I just wanted introduce myself to everyone as I subscribed to the site sometime ago and haven't visited since. So thanks to the guys that have requested me as friends and sorry it took me so long to accept. I intend to be a regular here now and look forward to meeting everyone.

Anyway I'm 36 and live on the south coast of England. I've been smoking a pipe for about a year and a half now and it's one of the best things I've ever done. I'm currently smoking Rattray's 7 reserve, it's a blend I can smoke all day without it ruining my pallet (if that makes sense), a real smooth smoke, slightly sweet. I plan on checking out some of their other blends, does anyone else have any experience of these blends? I'd be interested on your thoughts.

Anyway enough from me for now!! I look forward to hearing from you all!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

paddymac

Login to Send PM

Hi all. Back in February, due to my becoming a new father, a buddy of mine gave me one of his briars (I've no idea who made it) and a unlabeled jar of tobacco that he "thinks" is cavendish. The rest is unfolding history.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. physiognomy

physiognomy

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I just joined up & wanted to post a quick introduction... My name is Peter & I started my interest in pipes back in 2007. I first found relaxation & camaraderie in the cigar hobby, so the transition to pipes was natural. Dad smoked a pipe up until I was born & that connection drew me to buying my first briar & a couple ounces of bulk tobacco (including Altadis Prime Minister). My cigar friends soon shared their favorite pipe tobacco blends and my slide down the slope had begun.

I started out enjoying English/Balkan blends, but have gained a great appreciation for VAs & VAPERs (especially with some age) as time has gone on. My taste in pipes has also grown from the cheap estates to handmade pieces of art. I look forward to reading, learning, & participating here. Thanks for having me!

Peter

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. mikey

mikey

Login to Send PM

Hello all! Mikey here and enjoying this new forum which I found looking for like minded smokers. As a new piper I am really glad I found this place. I am a new pipe smoker and love it. I am looking forward to meeting and sharing ideas. I have a few pipes I am currently restoring and any help would be great. I have not seen a thread a pipe restoration, but I have not been here long enough to see and read everything.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. trevert

Trever Talbert

Login to Send PM

Hi! I'm Trever Talbert, a pipemaker of some sort. I've technically been a member here for a couple of years but I didn't stop in during the early days when the site had some teething problems with display on Macs, but it certainly looks nice now. Well done, guys! I'll try and pop in and out as time permits. As for introductions, hmm. I've been making pipes fulltime for 15 years now, lived and worked both in the states and in France, wrote a popular and long-running blog about expat life in France, I write and still maintain a 7-years-running blog about pipes and pipemaking, and I also write a pretty silly movie review blog dedicated to my favorite (and not-so-favorite) horror and drive-in movies. And in my spare time, I write and draw my own web comic. Avid reader, lover of obscure movies, and general weirdo. I can't tell you who won American Idol but I can quote Mighty Boosh, and I'm more likely to be watching Vincent Price than Megan Fox on the telly. That's about all there is to say.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

welcome to all the new members, start posting up like a madman.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. zirbengeist

zirbengeist

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone

I hail from London Ontario. I started smoking pipes around 2 years ago when my uncle gave me a brigham pipe. I am still new to the hobby but I have been focusing on trying various Latakia blends. So far my favorite has been Samuel Gawith Skiff mixture. I wish I could find Dunhill in Canada as I would like to try nightcap.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. friday

friday

Login to Send PM

hello,

I have been smoking cigars "socially" for the past 10 years and decided to switch to pipes back in march. My main reason for switching was i like a lot of variety, but that can be expensive with cigars, and buying an average 8.00 stick and only smoking 4.00 worth was getting old. I researched pipe tobacco and it seemed what i should have been doing all along! I live in Plant City, FL so i went to Edward's pipe shop in tampa and bought an Edward's brand pipe. One good thing about Edward's is you can sit there and try a bowl of any and all of there bulk blends for free, anytime! Thats great for a new pipe smoker! At first, things were tough and kind of slow going. Aro's smelled great for people around me, but didn't really have much flavor. I tried Edward's aro's, captain black, tobacco depot black and gold, and paladin black cherry (which wasn't half bad, i think i like this one). Upon sampling most of what Edward's had to offer i really like there bishop burley which is a Va/Bur/Or mix. Not sure if what i taste or smell is correct but i love smoking this blend, my mustache smells like chocolate or sweet after i smoke this. I had also got 2 corn cob pipes, but dont really like cobs. So couple weeks ago, knowing i needed another pipe and some more different tobacco, I decided to proceed down a VaPer line IN a new pipe. So i ordered a Savinelli Trevi 607 billiard, Escudo navy deluxe, dunhill flake (yes i know its not a VaPer), and mcconell scottish cake from Pipes and Cigars. WoW what a difference this pipe is over the edwards! I love this pipe, it will be my Va/VaPer pipe! Im trying to smoke these new tobaccos almost one tin at a time. I started with the escudo and am loving it!

So anyway, thats how my last few months have gone! I love reading all i can on here and hope to be a productive member soon. Also i have what i call my relaxation room and my wife lets me smoke in there, which is great cause here lately in florida if it isnt 100 degrees its storming. or is that how florida always is? lol However I am never allowed to smoke captain black white in there again. my wife hates it! which is ok, cause as i dive deeper into non Aro's the worse Aro's become!

-TC

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

welcome "friday" to the forum

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

backdoorhippie

Login to Send PM

Hello all! My name is Jake - "The Backdoor Hippie" is an internet pseudonym and also the name under which I infrequently execute musical performances in public. I have been an occasional pipe smoker for the last 15 years after diving head first into the hobby in the early 90's. I befriended Mark Tinsky of The American Smoking Pipe Company and was fortunate enough to be tutored from time to time in his shop where I carved a number of my own pipes and even spent a day at the wire wheel helping apply "rustic" finishes to one of his Christmas Pipes. While I still enjoy a pipe on occasion I find myself (gasp) more likely to sit with a cigar instead - particularly in the warmer months when I find myself out on the golf course or just on the patio.

I sold off a good number of my pipes back in the late 90's, leaving me with a Tinsky Christmas pipe and custom bent horn, an old Comoy's (my first), a Bonacquisti Church Warden, and several of my own, which seem to be more than sufficient. I've also unearthed a stash of old tins in my cellar from the mid-to-late 90's that I am sure have aged quite nicely. Anyway, with my foray back into pipe smoking, I thought I'd just drop in and introduce myself.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. callahan

callahan

Login to Send PM

Hi folks! Patrick here... I've visited these forums off and on for some needed advice and decided to go ahead and register today. I've been smoking a pipe for a couple of years now, finding it a great way to step back and sort thru everything going on in the old noggin. I've got a small mixed collection so far: a handful of Petes including two I managed to purchase during a recent family vacation to Ireland, a couple of Randy Wileys, a Mark Balkovec, the Briar Bird TPC 2012 POY, and some others.

I'm always looking for good advice and believe I'll find a good deal of it here.
    all the best to all of you!

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. roudoudou

roudoudou

Login to Send PM

Hi everybody,

Started pipe smoking a bit over a month ago. It helped me quit cigarettes (and more!!). Much cheaper than cigars (at least here in Canada) and a much bigger spectrum in terms of flavors. I'm also a homebrewer (mmm! beer).

This site is great! I mean, where in the world would a hardcore heavy metal 20-something dude would hang with a 70-something grandpa. Brothers (and sisters, sorry Cindy) of the Leaf, all with respect for each other.
    Also like the humor!
    Keep puffin'

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome guys

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. edgar

edgar

Login to Send PM

Gentlemen (and Ladies? perhaps?)

Discovered the site yesterday just browsing around, and had to join. I've been smoking a pipe off and on since I was 18. Growing up, both of my Grandfather's smoked pipes. One of them died when I was very young, but my Grandpaw Ray lived until I was a grown man. As far back as I can remember, my favorite thing to do was sit by him while he smoke his Cherry blend. I loved the smell, the ritual, and the accessories. For Christmas I always bought him a pack of Cherry blend tobacco. I may have been buying terrible tobacco, but he never told me otherwise. As soon as I was old enough, I bought a second hand pipe and a bag of Cherry. Coffee and my pipe became my new ritual, and on Friday nights, at the coffee house, the girls always showed me extra attention because I had an "old man pipe"...they thought it was charming. That alone was reason enough for me to keep at it!

For the past several years I have really become a more serious pipe smoker, but I never strayed off too far into the realm of the aficionado. I knew what tobaccos I liked to smoke, on a daily basis at least, like Prince Albert, or the occasional aromatic, but I never remembered what they were called.

Now, 35, I want to be more of an aficionado, knowing more about the blends that I smoke, and why I like them. Currently I have a lot of an English tobacco that I am loving, but couldn't for the life of me buy it again if I ran out.

I have 7 pipes in my collection, two which belonged to my Pawpaw (the one who died when I was young). One is his Falcon, which is one of my favorites to smoke from. Recently I came across a 60's era Dr. Grabow #20 Starfire, and enjoy it as well.

I hope to make some good buddies here, who don't mind helping me learn and grow and become a mature piper.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard to all the New Members!

We love to answer questions from the newest Members, they often kick-up lively discussions.
    Don't for a minute think that your questions aren't "good," or are "dumb," or "silly".
    We old codgers and many with a lot of experience may not think about some of those pressing concerns of the new pipe smoker. Or, like me, when I first joined had been smoking for 30 years and really didn't know (to quote granny from the Outlaw Jose Wales) "doodley squat".
    Nobody will go , or when you ask. That's not what we're about.
    Some of the answers/opinions your questions will elicit might surprise you, and quite often won't agree.
    Because; opinions are like belly buttons... Some are innies. Some are outies, but we all have one.
    (Most of us codgers have innies.)

Don't be shy, just dive right in and post up those photos and ask those questions.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

HELLO TO ALL TEDDY HERE ,I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER HERE FOR SOME TIME I DON'T POST MUCH BUT DO COME IN AND READ A LOT.
    HAD TO REJOIN WHY I DO NOT KNOW , BUT ANYWAY I'M BACK AND GLAD TO BE HERE. I BELONG TO THE C.O.R.P.S. IN RICHMOND VA. ,I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER THERE FOR ABOUT 14 YEARS . BEEN SMOKING A PIPE FOR MORE THAN 45 YEARS LOVE ALL KINDS OF BLENDS I'M ALL OVER THE PLACE WHEN IT COMES TO PIPE BLENDS . FORGIVE ME ,I DO TYPE IN CAPS VERY BAD EYES.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

welcome Edgar and Teddy

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. twistie

twistie

Login to Send PM

G'day everyone,

My name is Jyri and I'm from Sydney, Australia. Been a lurker here for a while and thought I'd join and say hi. Been smoking pipes for a little over a year now and I'm working my way through the many, many fine pipe blends available over the interwebs. By the looks of things I won't live long enough to get through them all

In the meantime I hope to acquire more knowledge in the art and peaceful past time of pipe smoking.

Cheers,
    Jyri

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigbehr

Login to Send PM

Hello,

Im new here but not new to pipes. My Name is Ryan and am from Calhan, CO. LOng time lurker. Just wanted to finally say HI. Mainly into English Blends but open to just about anything.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. akpipe

akpipe

Login to Send PM

Hey all, glad to sign up with this forum.
    Mostly an observer and information seeker. Will chime in from time to time when I feel I have enough personal experience for a pipe related topic, but I'm good for a good 'ol banter or two on other things.

Thanks to the guys that have already given me a warm welcome; much appreciated.

People who claim they don't let little things bother them
    have never slept in a room with a single mosquito.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  40. xolotalmungin

xolotalmungin

Login to Send PM

Hello all. Just signed up.. another site to navigate. Sorry if this ends up in the wrong place.
    Anyway, pipe and cigar smoker for.. hmm.. probably 10 plus years. Not fanatic. Inherited the pipes, but tend to smoke a chunky Moore Mark, which I believe is a Custombilt knockoff. Primarily smoke flake or plug tobacco outdoors.
    As time and money permit, I may start digging around the various blends and using the net for that rather than having to go out of my way to a tobacconist which has a limited selection anyway.

Xolotal Mungin

In your quarrel with the world, bet on the world. - Franz Kafka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  41. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

xolotalmungin, you will have to post in the thread, " Explain your screen name " and welcome to the forum

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. mkelaw

mkelaw

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone:

I don't know what took me so long but here I am. From my avatar and username, some of you may already know me from my website. By way of explanation "MKE" is the airport code for Milwaukee where I reside. The "LAW" part of the handle is from the fact that I'm a recovering attorney. The first name is Dave - not Mike but I've learned to answer to either online. I practiced for about 40 years and happily retired four or five years ago to pursue my true passion of pipe making and restoring fine pipes. I look forward to participating actively in this forum.

Best,

Dave

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. mkelaw

mkelaw

Login to Send PM

Well, I thought there was an avatar. Let's try this again.

Mkelaw

(I guess not!?)

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the site Dave. I think the avatar needs to be approved before it shows up. I have done business with Dave and he is great to deal with. His prices are very competitive and I saved money buying from him instead of using Ebay. Plus he cleans and sends the pipe ready to smoke. He is a pleasure to do business with and he has just signed up to be a sponsor.

Harris
    Posted 2 years ago #
  45. tbaccylassie

tbaccylassie

Login to Send PM

Greetings from Seattle, Washington! I recently got back into pipes after over 25 years. I used to smoke pipes while in my college years (for only about a year), but stopped because I was concerned that people would think it was weird for a woman to smoke pipes, so I stopped and stuck with cigarettes. I'm in my mid 40's now, re-discovered the pleasure of a nice relaxing smoke with a pipe, and long gotten over what other people might think (woohoo!!)..... so I'm getting back into it with corncobs and a Brindisi pipe.

After so long away from delicious pipe tobaccos, I'm very much a greenstick newbie.....looking forward to learning about the different tobaccos and collecting wonderful pipes! Its a pleasure to have found this forum.

Any other lady pipe smokers out there?

----
    Restita
    Posted 2 years ago #
  46. whimsyt

whimsyt

Login to Send PM

hey tbaccylassie!! I think I know you!! Welcome. I've made a few posts here lately...don't expect too many direct responses. But there is a lot of great info here!

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. tbaccylassie

tbaccylassie

Login to Send PM

Hi Whimsy! Fancy seeing ya here! I didnt see your first post.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. sixmp

sixmp

Login to Send PM

Hello to all new members!!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

papatoad

Login to Send PM

Hello the Camp!
    I've been lurking for a bit and trying to pick up some tips.

Picked up the pipe recently,I've never been a smoker so this is a real learning experience.

I live here in Santa Rosa Kalifornia where pipe smokers are few and far between.

Been getting into the pipe making hobby with local woods, so far they aren't very pretty
    but they smoke well. Stems can be tricky.

Advice on mild aromatic tobbaccos would be appreciated... love good notes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. pauliepipes

pauliepipes

Login to Send PM

Hi Camp,

Welcome! So you wanted some advice on Aromatics ... I think one of the best aromatics I have eve found is CAO's Eileen's Dream. I have found it to be very mild with NO tongue bite at all. Give it a try. If you like chocolate, Boswell has Chocolate Cream and No Bite Delight, both are very good as well. All of these have great room notes. Happy hunting. These are worth a try. Post some pics of your pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the new members. be sure to post up in the thread that has a picture of you with your pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. themadman

themadman

Login to Send PM

Hello all, Just wanted to introduce myself and tell ya just a tad about me. I'm currently a new pipe smoker that has been smoking steady (daily) for about 4 months now. Smoke on average 4-8 bowls of tobacco a day. As for pipes i collect & smoke all types of corn cob pipes MM, H&B, and Buescher's along with many different Dr. Grabows. I also picked up a meer a few weeks back and just love the pipe for the way it smokes. As for good briars you may ask. My favorite is a stubby billiard a friend made me that is just an awesome smoker and a true pleasure to hold in your hand when smoking. As for tobaccos i like variety and smoke all types from Aro's , Va's ,Vapers, Burley, Cav and a good English blend is truly what i seek after and crave, as i'm a big fan of Latakia in my tobacco blend.

Now as for my Hobbies & life, I currently fly fish 200+ days on the water and mainly fish for trout 90% of the time, But will go after saltwater fish like Bonefish ,Tarpon, Jacks,Snook and Permit when on vacation. I also enjoy tying flies and chatting about fly fishing and the art of tying flies.
    So that's just a tad about me, sorry for the long read guys.

Cheers! The Mad Man...

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

tagriese

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, I'm Thomas. Been smoking a pipe for a couple months now. Started with cobs and really like them, but am going to start moving into some other types too I think. Have been trying a lot of different kinds of tobacco, but so far my "go-to" is MacBaren Symphony.

Really enjoying reading this forum, spent about three hours on here the other night just reading about tobacco blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

pfire

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone I'm gonna be a newbie on here with a lot of questions. about pipes , tobacco, and such. I'm a firefighter and enjoy riding and working on my Harley. Decided to pick up pipe smoking as a hobby, my grandpa smoked a pipe as I was growing up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the new members...and madman, we love fly fishing and we have a Dedicated Fishing Thread too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

n3m0

Login to Send PM

Hey Everyone.

New from Massachusetts, I started pipe smoking 3-4 years ago but have only smoked about 8 bowls so I am extremely new. Have a lot to learn and lots of questions. Right now my main thing is trying to start up my tobacco cellar and trying to learn as much as possible about the different blends. I posted some questions over in the Tobacco Discussion section, so if your reading this and your well versed in the different types of tobaccos, poke your head in over there and help me out :P, the thread is called "?'s on Tobacco Types/Blends"

Look forward to getting you know you all, and learning as much as i can!

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

bosun

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone! I've been a pipe smoker now for about 4 months. I started it as a replacement for cigs and it's been working wonderfully so far. I'm a veteran of the U.S. Navy, and during my time in I learned many skills and tricks that have made me quite the handy-man. With that being said, I'll be keeping an eye out for any and all posts regarding pipe restoration/maintenance/repair. I'm always eager to learn new things, just as I'm eager to offer advice that's based on what I know.

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. fishnlady

fishnlady

Login to Send PM

Hello to all,
    I am new to pipe smoking and find I am really enjoying it. I recently purchased a new Churchwarden and I love it. I was like so many of you looking for information about pipes and tobaccos and found this site. My favorite things to do is fishing, sewing, beading and cooking/baking. Living in Alaska affords me great fishing opportunities and the long winter months beading and sewing. I would be interested in hearing what others say are good mild, non biting tobaccos a tenderfoot might try. I am currently smoking some Black Bear and Pointe Barrow I purchased from G & P Fine Tobaccos locally. They are ok but a little strong it seems for me. I am experiencing some rough sandpaper feeling on my upper gums and tongue. Am I doing something wrong? Ok enough for now,
    Here is a pic of my pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. whimsyt

whimsyt

Login to Send PM

Hi fishnlady! I don't fish, but I do smoke Trout Stream, does that count?? I sew, cook, and knit as well.

My strongest recommendation for a good mild, non biting tobacco is my newest discovery--Hearth & Home Trout Stream! For an "Over The Counter" drugstore blend, you might try Middleton's Black & Mild, if you can find it.

What you describe is a bit of "tongue bite"--happens, especially with certain tobaccos. If you slow down your puffing, it helps, and different tobaccos can be far less biting as well.

Nice Mr. Brog churchwarden, there.

I'm sending you a PM.

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. mmjk

mmjk

Login to Send PM

Hello forum, I've been pipeing for close to two years now. Picked up the pipe first time maybe ten years ago but , it didn't stick. When I first started (second time), I was all over the net learning technique, different styles of tobacco, spent hours staring at pipes. Is where I came upon this site. Really enjoyed the articles and reading the forums. So you can say I'm a "lurker".
    I'll keep this short and say I enjoy the "straight" tobaccos , Latakia blends , aromatics(tho I haven't found one that fits me yet). Also enjoy dry snuff and chewing tobacco.
    Well I'll wrap this up by saying Thank you for the welcome and hope to see you guys on the forum , sharing our opinions and having some tobacco talk.

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

matfoley4

Login to Send PM

Hello all. I'm a born again pipe smoker. I smoked my first pipe back when I was 20 and stopped because of not knowing what I was doing. Started smoking cigars about a year ago and while in a cigar shop picked up pipe kit. Went online and found out the correct way of doing things and now I'm loving it. Love the pipe smoking community here and on youtube. Everyone is very helpful and nice. Got to go back to work!

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome guys and gals to the forum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

kalc

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone,
    I am kallol from India. I have recently started smoking pipe regularly. I am a 20+ yr cigarette smoker and i also smoke habanos.
    I have been reading your posts particularly on pipe tobacco as that seems to be an ardous journey - trying to figure out what i like interms of flavour, strength, etc.
    I must say that i have learnt quite a bit from the posts here and have purchased (and am continuing to purchase) pipe tobacco according to member recomendations and reviews. Thanks to all, and hope to have a great time here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

welcome kallol to the forum

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. nortonnewbie

nortonnewbie

Login to Send PM

i am a wicked new at all of this.. that last time i smoked a pipe was in collage and a few times it was with tobacco. i have been in the army now for 8 years and some months, two kids, wife, two dogs, two fish, 3 deployments, 34 years of age and am watching LOTR right now with my 7 yr boy and 4 yr girl. my first pipe and tobacco will be here in a few days and i am way geeked out. my first choice was dr. grabow pipe and Sutliff Private Stock Blend - Maple Street. if i chose poorly please give me some advise.

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. nortonnewbie

nortonnewbie

Login to Send PM

why did my pic not show up?

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

pauljmjr

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from western Massachusetts -- about 90 miles outside of Boston. I've been smoking a pipe on and off for over 35 years. I mostly stick with English and Balkan blends. I have a very modest pipe collection of around 10 pipes. But in that group are two Radices that I really love. I look forward to being a member of he forum.

Paul

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. whimsyt

whimsyt

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul!

I used to live in Greenfield, and South Hadley. I'm stuck over on the eastern side now. Was out to South Deerfield and Rowe a few weeks ago for my annual visit, and was so disappointed to discover exactly NO tobac shops out that way! Goodness, it's nice to have online resources, isn't it? Where do you get your pipes and tobac from out that way?

Radices make me swoon.

Anyway, welcome. This is a nice forum and you'll connect with some nice and knowledgeable people here. Pull up a recliner and grab your pipe for a nice smoke!

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. ronin61

ronin61

Login to Send PM

Hi all! I am a fairly regular cigar smoker and I just bought my first pipe yesterday. I have smoked it twice so far and I like it alot(just hoping I can get the packing bit down sooner than later). I can already tell it's going to be a very different experience than with the cigar. It's a different kind of ritual, but still very relaxing. I have very fond memories of my grandmother smoking a corncob with Sir Walter Raleigh, so in her honor I think I will try that pipe/tobacco combo soon. Cheers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. jaywellington

jaywellington

Login to Send PM

Hello there!
    I am from Greece, a student of English Literature in the Faculty of the University of Athens,
    and I have been smoking a pipe for about a year.
    I have two briars, I might order a few Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs, and I'm looking forward to exploring the world of pipe tobacco essence and lifestyle!

A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   soymilkisgood, fnord, mrholmes, melvinsunsmokedcastello, gigger48