Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

[sticky]

New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1759 posts)
  1. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. I'm 25, and first got into pipes a couple of years ago but didn't keep up for too long. I purchased about sixteen individual ounces from John T's over the course of about 5 months. The other day, I was packing up my belongings to move to Nevada City, and I found my cigar box along with two Thompson cigars and all the various pipe tobacco I thought I had given to a friend. However, I was pipeless because I gave my last one away some time ago, and therefore in need of a new one. I opened up a few of the bags and surprisingly, they were still fresh. I instantly wanted to start smoking pipes again, so I took $15 to a smoke shop($15 was all I had) and I bought myself a pipe to hold me over until yesterday when I was able to buy a nicer one. I also bought some Black Cavendish in Grass Valley. So yesterday, I got $60 and went to a place in Vallejo by the name of "Ye Olde Briar Shoppe," where the owner was happy to help me out. I purchased a briar pipe that was on sale for $45, and a pipe tool, as well as one of the owner's aromatics called Sea Breeze. My interest level this time around seems more promising, and I think a lot of that interest is due to the scenery in Nevada City. Forests, lakes, ponds, rivers, serenity and not having to wake up to sirens and gunshots every day. I'll be "home" in a day or two where I can sit and play my guitar by the lake and listen to bullfrogs and birds replace the sounds of the bay area. Even though I should be going to sleep right now, I can't resist the urge to sit on the cliff that drops down to the California bay, and smoke my new briar pipe packed with Sea Breeze while looking at all the lights and stars.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the great introductions guys and gals.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. latenightsmokes

latenightsmokes

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. My name is Luke and I call the tiny place of Maple Rapids Michigan my home. I began smoking a pipe last year on national pipe smoking day. I own two pipes at the present and found them at an antique store I like to frequent. I was drawn to the pipe mostly out of curiosity from reading all of the Sherlock Holmes and Lord of the Rings novels. I don't posses the funds to quench the thirst of my PAD and TAD as others on the form must feel so I get my smoke from the local blending shop. I am glad to finally join this group of great guys and I am looking forward to conversing with all of you.

Sincerely,

Luke Stephens

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Luke!
    Don't be shy...
    Dive right in!

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. will

will

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,
    I am new to pipe smoking.
    Gave it a try about 20 years ago but did not stick with it.
    So I quit smoking cigarettes about a month ago and have been smoking 1 or 2 bowls a day with a new cob.
    I have 3 or 4 old flea market pipes from when I first tried it that I need to dig out.
    For me pipe smoking is very relaxing and I hope to learn much more about the art here.
    Take care, Will

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanp

Login to Send PM

Hello!
    Started smoking a pipe about 2-3 weeks ago, really to try and kick the habit of cigarettes. I'm finally getting over burning my tongue every time I smoke now so that's a plus.

Is there like a club for people who have "Acquisition Disorders" here? I apparently have tons of acquisition disorders, most recently pipes.

I'm just around for the info!

Thanks,
    Alan

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. klause

klause

Login to Send PM

Evening all, been lurking for a while and thoroughly enjoying the forums and learning a lot, so decided it was time to join in.

I bought my first pipe at the age of 14, in 1984. I have no idea what it was, but it was a great companion on long walks in the woods, trying different tobaccos - parsons pleasure, three nuns, condor plug, erinmore mixture and some others. I've been on and off the pipe ever since, but took it up seriously again about 7 years ago. Basically because I love tobacco, and pipes. I've been collecting pipes and tobacco in a small way, and learning to love them all and their little quirks. I have a soft spot for Danish pipes, but also love some of the Italian jobbies out there. But, being as funds are limited, I try to limit myself to acquiring Danish estates, though I have picked up a couple of lovely old petersons recently. To this end, I have started to try my hand at a little pipe restoration - I have to admit I love picking up old, well used pipes and rejuvenating them - then trying to decide which tobacco I want to smoke in them. Today it was a lovely lane era charlatan I picked up for €25, cleaned up and just looked at for a while, before deciding it was perfect for squadron leader. Great way to pass an hour in the greenhouse!!!! And a good combination.

For all the lovely pipes I have 'treated' myself to, my go-to pipe is an old clay, George v. I have had many of these over the years. Lovely size, shape, and hang beautifully, and smoke great - easy to clean and maintain - just pop it in the fire for the evening and pick it out of the ashes in the morning. It goes with all tobaccos. A real old friend!

Anyway, typed way more than I intended. So, hello all, and I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

All the best,

Jason.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. vespertillio

vespertillio

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I just wanted to chime in and introduce myself. I'm Fred from Denver and have been smoking a pipe for about 10 days now. I had a couple of my dads old pipes for years and a friend of mine told me try some Hobbits Weed from Tewksbury here in town. I dusted off one of the pipes and have been enjoying it nightly pretty much ever since. I've decided to learn more and I've always found forums are the best way to share and gather knowledge. I'm still learning pipe styles and such. I believe I'm using a variation of The Prince and the other I believe is a Half Bent. One of these days I'll try another blend and when I do I'll start both here and with the fine folks at Tewksbury. Anyway, I look forward to a lot of fine reading and interacting with another great forum. Cheer all.

Fred

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Figured I'd start with the pipes. I've been lurking here awhile and figured it was time to at least post some pipe pics. I've gone from dip, to cowboy killers, to cigars, and now I've landed in pipes. I love the ritualistic aspects, sensory/memory jogs, and relaxation I get from smoking my pipe. I like to go out on the porch at midnight and smoke a bowl before bed. Sometimes my mind wanders over the day, sometimes I think about the next day, and sometimes I just zone out and instead of smoking it's more like a breathing exercise. Too me smoking has always had a calming effect on me. I lead a hectic (but good) life and the time I set aside for my pipe helps me slow it down and add perspective.

I started with a Corncob my wife got me for Father's day and a shed load of bulk tobaccos. Since then I've grabbed a few pipes off ebay and from my Father. I tend to be frugal (just paid off my 2nd car!) and I enjoy things that have history to them.

Anyway I have to say this is one of the best online communities I've seen and now I'm more then happy to be a part of it. Onto the pipes!

The Peterson Bulldog came by the way of my father. He's had some health issues the past year (years!, stubborn old man) and decided to stop smoking. I agreed to take it off his hands to aid in his recovery...heh. I really like a way it feels and I even wrote a loving melodramatic tumblr post to it. I'll have to have a few Gin and Tonics before I decide to post it or not.

The Boswell is actually a Christmas pipe I bought for my dad back in 2000. They were apparently made for the Tinder Box here in South Bend (and neighboring Mishawaka) Indiana. I didn't know anything about pipes when I bought it, but the shop keeper steered me in it's direction. I'm glad he did. I smoked it last night for the first time and it felt very comfortable. I'm not passing judgement yet, we need to get better acquainted.

The Aldo Velani is actually my first non-corncob pipe. I bought it off ebay for a fair price and it was amazing how different it felt smoking it. I really love the way it smokes, it gives me this huge draw and it feels perfect in my hand. Its so round, it just fits.

The Bumpa's Pipe is actually a Caroleer or something close to it (hard to read the stamping). I don't smoke it. I haven't been able to track down much info on it, but it holds a huge place in my memories since it belonged to my Grandfather. My Grandfather was one of "those grandfathers" who always had a pipe lit or unlit in his mouth. As a kid I'd always sit and look and hold his pipes. After he died I remember walking through his house and asking my mom if I could have one of them and picked that one. It's chewed up, caked up, cracked, and probably not worth any money but it's priceless to me.

Mr. Brog. I was buying my wife some books via Amazon and got a wild hair and picked it up. When she saw it she rolled her eyes at me and called me a crack addict. I told her I only ordered it because it was Polish (she's Polish on her mother's side). She's a nurse, you'd think she'd know about PAD. I've never smoked it. I honestly wouldn't have bought it if I knew my father was going to unload a couple of pipes on me. Of course that doesn't mean I'll get rid of it. I have to smoke it. Someone went through all the trouble to make it.

An Old Meer. Exactly that. I took a gamble on it via ebay. The carving on it is pretty rough and unpolished and I'm not a fan of the screw in stem. It feels like it restricts the draw, but honestly the more I smoke it the more I like it. It won't win any beauty pageants but for where I'm at I'm enjoying it. I tend to be attracted to things with character.

The estate pipes are a few odds and ends I've somehow attracted over the years. Dunno how.

Anyway, those are my pipes. They're a little bit random and awkward in my acquiring them, but that works for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jcinpa

jcinpa

Login to Send PM

Hello! My name is John, my family lives in Philly, I work in Chicago, unfortunately, so to take up some time in the evenings, I just started back to the pipe after a 30 year layoff since my college days.

I started with a MM, but my son mailed a couple briars and I just got this beauty on eBay, it should be here in a day or two.

I have 4 Dunhill tins here and about 5-6 more tins of various things are on the way, as well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

welcome aboard new members! I like that Pete bulldog Jah76.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. jcinpa

jcinpa

Login to Send PM

By the way, the avatar system is a mess, won't work for me for some reason. I'm using FireFox. I'm used to avatars, I have them on a bunch of sites, can't figure out what the issue is here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipedrummer

Login to Send PM

Hey Guys, Just started smoking my pipe yesterday!
    I joined this site to get some help and chat with other classy smokers.
    Any tips for a new smoker?

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

paleoman

Login to Send PM

Greetings to all!

Long time pipe smoker here and from a long line of pipe smokers (at least 4 generations). Introduced to it by my dad when I was still in high school (1970s). Started smoking my dad's Borkum Riff in the many pipes from his inventory (from Dr. Grabow to Savinellis). I now own most of those pipes that I started on many years ago. Live in Jacksonville, Florida but originally from Maine. Enjoy a variety of tobaccos, from light aromatics to heavy latakia blends. Have become aware over the past several years that the pipe smoking brotherhood seems to be dwindling. To reverse that trend, I introduced the art to my son and a few of his friends who have shown interest. Also indoctrinated my son-in-law to the briar brotherhood. He is worthy student of the art who - thankfully - wants my new granddaughter to be raised in a house where the scent and sight of a pipe smoker symbolizes home and hearth.

WHEN MY PIPE BURNS BRIGHT

[center]When my pipe burns bright and clear,
    The gods I need not envy here;
    And as the smoke fades in the wind,
    Our fleeting life it brings to mind.

Noble weed that comforts life,
    And art with calmest pleasures rife;
    Heaven grant thee sun and rain,
    And to thy planter health and gain.

Through thee, friend of my solitude,
    With hope and patience I'm imbued;
    Deep sinks thy power within my heart,
    And cares and sorrows all depart.

Then let non-smokers rail forever,
    Shall their hard words true friends dissever?
    Pleasure's too rare to cast away,
    My pipe, for what the railers say!

When love grows cool, thy fire still warms me,
    When friends are fled, thy presence charms me;
    If thou art full, though purse be bare,
    I smoke and cast away all care!
    -German Folk Song

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone.Im Chris.Im from Tennessee.Im still waiting on my first pipe to come in the mail.Its a cheap F.E.S.S Churchwarden because Macqueen has a 3 month wait one the pipes i want.I did recieve my middle earth series sampler pack today.Cant wait to try out the pipe and just relax and just contemplate the breeze and the crickets while sitting on the porch swing watching the moon rise.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

jfoster1

Login to Send PM

Just joined, think I broke one of the rules a minute ago. I am guilty. I always had that bad habit of jumping into things and not reading the instructions. I hope one day when I grow up I will break that bad habit. Used to smoke pipes years ago. Have not smoked in years. I am looking around hoping I can find post I might contribute to, So I could get my 50 post. Not being active for so many years I have kind of dropped out of the loop.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

dirtybearpipes

Login to Send PM

Hey Everyone!
    I'm Kurt Lawton, from the midwest. Wisconsin to be exact. I've been smoking pipes for about a year now. Used to be a cigar smoker, but I've found that pipe smoking seems to be more personal and it's quite a bit cheaper! Also, I've found there is a lot more variety of flavors (at least distinguishable to my palate). My screen name of "dirtybearpipes" comes from a hobby I have started this summer. I make and sell pipes as kinda a fun side job, i named my small "business" Dirty Bear Pipes. I have a lot to learn about pipe smoking, so I'm very excited to be a member of this forum. Thank you to whoever makes this possible!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

ravenwolfe

Login to Send PM

First pipe just arrived!!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. thatbeetleguy

thatbeetleguy

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone!

My name is Cole and I live in California. I've been pipe smoking since February 2012, although I've started off smoking cigars for a year in prior to pipe smoking (Although they are the "cheapo" brands if my understanding is correct). I enjoy pipe smoking since it is pretty relaxing and I can puff away for a longer time period compared to me smoking cigars. I am still pretty green in both smoking hobbies and I would like to know more about the pipe smoking hobby.
    I decided to join this forum because, like most people in this thread would say, I kept on finding this forum in my google searches/"pipe research" and the people are very welcoming (got friend requests before I even introduced myself) and very knowledgeable about this hobby.
    As for the explanation of my screen/username, which I had hoped to simply use "That Beetle Guy", I am an entomologist (as a career and a hobby) and I have a particular interest for beetles (Order Coleoptera). So if anyone finds an oddball insect while they're smoking their pipes and they want it identified, feel free to send me pictures and I'll try my best to identify them (And if I can't, I know people who will).
    Hopefully I can visit this forum often enough (answer or ask questions) and if you have questions, ask away.

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -Sam Slick, The Clockmaker
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome thatbeetleguy. I'd send a friend request, but I don't know how.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. thatbeetleguy

thatbeetleguy

Login to Send PM

Welcome thatbeetleguy. I'd send a friend request, but I don't know how.

Thank you for the welcome guitarguy86. Don't worry about it, one of us will figure it out sooner or later

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. thatbeetleguy

thatbeetleguy

Login to Send PM

I noticed that some folks were curious about what kind of pipes the newcomers have, so here is my current collection :

Yikes! it turned out too large, oh well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrz2u2

Login to Send PM

Greetings & Salutations,
    I'm mrz2u2 and I hail from the great state of Texas.
    I've been a pipe smoker on and off since my college days over 35 years ago. I recently went through my collection of pipes and tobacco and was surprised that it was larger than I realized. I have a variety of 9 different pipes and over 2 dozen different flavors of tobacco. I enjoy the taste and aroma of mildly delicious flavored tobaccos. I have found that women more enjoy the the aroma of a mild pipe tobacco over that of a fine cigar. I enjoy sipping a wonderful adult libation with my tobacco whether it be a good whiskey, bourbon or scotch and paring it with a fine micro-brew is a tasty choice also. I prefer bent pipes over straight because they just look cool. I have a Nording churchwarden which is my favorite, a Lorenzo prototype poker sitter as my most unique and a Douglas MacArthur tall finished corncob and an original Dr Grabow Omega blasted briar from the 1970's. I'll get a picture of my pipes and assortment of tobacco's for your viewing pleasure at a later post. Thanks for having aboard.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. sasquatch

sasquatch

Login to Send PM

Hey I'm Todd, came here cuz I'm apparently part of a box pass. (These things happen...)

Anyway, I'm a pipemaker by night, carpenter by day.

briarsweatandtears.com is my site but don't go there cuz I got nothing for sale right now.

Glad to be here - will light up and peruse the board a bit.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. cunningmc

cunningmc

Login to Send PM

Hello all!

I'm Matt from the Hudson Valley in New York. I've been smoking pipes on and off for about 6 years, but have found a new appreciation as of late and am looking for general information and a place for good references. I also am keen to seek information and opinions about certain pipes and tobaccos, so I look forward to the input of others. I'll upload pictures of my pipes as soon as my camera is repaired!

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. thegussbus

thegussbus

Login to Send PM

Hi all! I'm Sam. I'm pretty new to the pipe hobby. Well, I've been smoking a pipe semi-regularly for maybe a bit over 3 years, but I'm just recently getting more into it, and learning more about pipes and tobacco. I'm a college student. I live in Portland, Oregon, and I grew up in NYC. I went to a meeting of the Seattle Pipe Club, as well as their last annual dinner, and I think the pipe community is really cool!

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

Hi all! I'm relatively new to the pipe hobby, but am loving every puff so far! I joined the forum because I was looking for some pointers (comes along with being a noob), as well as to be a part of an awesome group of individuals that have the same awesome hobby.

Keep smoking!

Pipenscotch

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -”Sam Slick, The Clockmaker”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

melter65

Login to Send PM

Hello all, new member here. Bit of background, born to a pipe smoking Father, I started smoking RYO at 16yrs but also borrowed one of my Dads 'old' pipes, but didn't enjoy it much. Found out much later on that the pipe in question was suffering from 'burnout'.

Now I'm an older chap, I still smoke my RYO, but enjoy smoking my clay pipes as well. Dad still recommends good 'baccy' to buy off the 'tinternet, but I prefer to smoke them through my clays

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

bluecrab

Login to Send PM

Hello eryone, I'm from maryland hense the name. I smoked a pipe for the first time back in college but didn't stick with it. Picked it up again about two months ago. I live about 45 minutes away from boswells pipe shop, therefore I'm a huge fan as I have ten of j.m. and dan's pipes.
    I'm also into datsun z cars which I have two, a '77 280 and a '72 240. I just got married in november and we just compleated our victorian style house. I found this forum looking for info on pipe smoking and all that goes with it.

Thanks Mike

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello all, just joined.
    I have only been smoking a pipe for about a month, and have found a wealth of good info here. All of you seem to be good honest people, and very helpful. First thank you for that, it's getting hard to find to many of us. LOL

My journey started because I began making my own cig's, I know that's a dirty word, right, but I found to many tobaccos that taste so good, I couldn't help but think they would be great in a pipe where I could really taste them. I had tried a pipe when I was much younger (I will be 50 this year), but was much to impatient to enjoy one then. Now I find it so nice and relaxing, but still having to learn what to do and what NOT to do.

When I was younger I had blond hair and a red beard. Now the beard is mostly gray, hence the user name.

Looking forward to learning from all of you and hopefully in time being able to help others as well.

oldredbeard

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. davidg

davidg

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I smoked a bit in the '70's but only really started again in May 2012, thus I'm very much a novice. (A hand made pipe, 1971 Don-Lou, disappeared from my desk at work, but it re-sparked my interest,so some good can be found in all things).
    I have a question about tobacco reviews I've read. I'm experimenting with non-aromatics. Pipers declare that they recognize a little Virginia, or oriental, latakia, barley, etc. How does one come to know those tastes specifically? Wouldn't one have to taste each independently to know what it's like? If I'm eating a mouthful of rice and corn together, how would I know which was which unless I'd tasted each beforehand apart from each other? It appears that it might take a very long time to reach this level of expertise. may I assume such?

In the meantime I'm enjoying the aromas, feel of the pipe, the burn patterns etc. But I'm not yet able to recognize specific tobaccos. Any words on this are appreciated. Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. garyovich

garyovich

Login to Send PM

Greetings all, I'm a 33 year old match striker. I've been smoking a pipe for almost 10 years, and have been lurking around this site for some time before joining. Lots of great information, and great people here. I probably won't post too often (more of a reader than a contributor), but I figured I might as well say hello and make my presence known. I've been active duty military for about 11 years, and I'm currently a recruiter in daytona beach, fl. I have about 30 pipes in my rotation, and (like many of you) have started stockpiling my favorite blends for the coming tobaccolypse, and to see how my favorites will age in their tins. My favorite pipes are petes and savis. Maybe I should say they're my most numerous as there are definitely pipes I would rather have but don't have the bankroll for. If any of you are ever in the daytona area, hit me up, I love getting together at our very decent local B&M on my lunch break to enjoy some Constitutional freedoms.

Cheers,
    Gary

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. piperjack

piperjack

Login to Send PM

Hi all. I'm new to pipe smoking but have smoked cigars for 15 years. I've found this site and forum to be very helpful to newbies like me. The people here seem very down to earth and friendly. Thanks to all of you who share your knowledge and wisdom on a host of matters & looking forward to learning more. After smoking pipes and having a wonderful range of tobaccos out there, so you don't get bored, I may have been converted away from cigars.
    Thanks again,
    John

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

loganpipes

Login to Send PM

Hello to everyone! New here and this is my first post. I'm still fumbling around the site and trying to see where all the action is. Lots of pipers here - that's for certain. Anyway, good to be here. -Damon

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard everyone!

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

hello all... im shawn, 41 years young:) im literally brand new to pipes. always loved the smell and look of pipes, but never ventured into the hobby till a few days ago. i bought 3 different types of tobacco: mac barron dark twist, hearth and home anniversary kake, and i have some Newminster Superior Round Slices that will arrive in the morning. i know absolutely nothing about pipes except what i learned reading on here. i know very little about tobacco but i do like the sweeter tobacco (anniversary kake) the best. i want something super sweet though so any suggestions would be appreciated:) as far as pipes go, i bought a few estate pipes on ebay. if anyone has a crash course on pipes and care for pipes id like that too... basically i already love the hobbie and see me having an entire section of my room full of pipes. i love their diversity and respectability. ill probably have a hundred in the next 6 months:) haha. i dipped snuff for 20 years. switched to cigarettes when i divorced in 05, but i hate cigarettes so now im doing this, and enjoy it. im a social maniac:) so ill probably be all over this site. so say hi, and give me some advice... PLEASE:) already had a case of tongue bite, but have learned how to avoid it:) thanks for reading:) and see you around!!!!

There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live.
    -Moliere
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome shawn622. I'm fairly new as well. Been smoking this time around for a few weeks, but first time smoking was a couple years ago. I stopped then because of tongue bite, and goop traveling up the stem. But this time around, I've found this site, which has been a lot of help.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. shawnpoynter

shawnpoynter

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. I'm Shawn and I live in Knoxville, TN. I've been smoking pipes for a couple years, which is just long enough to realize how much I don't know about the hobby. Thank goodness I found a place like this, full of reliable and entertaining information for those of us who need the help! I'm excited to learn from, and with, you all.

Shawn

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. haymarket

haymarket

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I have been smoking cigars (occasionally) for about 10 years and recently became interested in pipes after my brother gave me a cheap one he purchased and used once or twice before giving up on it. I am still struggling with packing and lighting techniques but have been reading a great deal about that and tobacco types to try. My father used to smoke a blend called haymarket (Hill & Hill, Michigan) which I hope to find and try when I can properly smoke and appreciate what the blend tastes like.

Danny M.
    California

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

blackforest

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I'm not a smoker, but I've joined to look around for pipe stuff for my dad. My dad enjoys an occasional bowl in the evening, and I'd like to know a little bit more so if I were to pick him up a tin or two of nice pipe tobacco, I'd know what to get him. I don't want to buy him pipe tobacco at walmart (no offense to anyone).

I've been using Swedish snus (smokeless tobacco) for years, and getting into nasal snuff a bit as well. Smoking never sat well with me personally (tongue bite & mouth taste after), but I have nothing against smoking as long as I'm not the done doing it. Smoke up guys!

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new guys on here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. dapperg

dapperg

Login to Send PM

Hello gentlemen. I grateful to join such a large community of pipe and tobacco smokers and enthusiasts like myself! I was referred by a friend through my blog/magazine Dapperism. Thank you all for being here!

Graham Gibbs
    Dapperism.com | Philosophy Of The Modern Gentleman
    Posted 2 years ago #
  44. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello, all. I'm Greg from WV. I have been lurking for about a week and figured it was time to join. I'm an (almost) ex-cigarette smoker who used to enjoy cigars tremendously. I can't say for sure what has drawn me to pipes but here I am. I found the forum by searching for info on beginning tobacco pipe smoking and have found a wealth of information already.

I've smoked my new pipe for the last three days and see progress in my skills already. I also know that I can't wait to be able to upgrade to a nicer pipe and try some differents tobaccos.

Greg
    Posted 2 years ago #
  45. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. My name is Tom and I hail from VT, originally from LI, NY. I have smoked various things in my life, but pipes are something I never really gave a try. As such, I am very new to pipe smoking, but I have a suspicion that my interest will quickly go from hobby to habit.

I look forward to learning from everyone here.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

matthew85

Login to Send PM

Hi and hello everyone.
    My name is Matthew I'm 27 I have smoked cigarettes for some time now.
    I'm a painter and a gamer and lets not forget I'm also a father to a little 3 year old girl Madalynn.
    I have been wanting to try out pipe smoking for some time now so I went online and ordered a corn cob pipe and I also went to a local store and bought a lucienne p701.
    For my birthday a friend of mine bought me a a pipe starting kit that came with everything I would need but a pipe lol.

So last night after getting off work I did a little more research on how to pack a bowl for a new pipe and went to town on my Lucienne. The tobacco I used was called waccamaw low country the smell that came from the can when I first opened it was just amazing a spicy outdoors kind of smell (made me think of camping).
    So with my first bowl packed and hoping I did it right I grabbed my stick matches and with a quick flick lit the match and held it just above the bowl so I do not burn the rim.

It was really amazing the kind of flavor I got from the Low Country it wasn't what I thought it would be from smelling the tobacco but it was really nice. It seemed to be a little on the strong side for me but for my first bowl in my first pipe I was happy.

I did get some tounge bite but it didn't put me off pipe smoking at all just made me want to try harder to get it right so I can enjoy the hobby to the fullest. I cannot wait to smoke my next bowl

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Greetings!!

I live in Alberta, Canada and I have been a non-smoker all of my life until this past Christmas, when my wife gave me a Savinelli Tundra pipe & some black cherry tobacco as a present. The next day I gave it a try and quite liked it and really enjoy a relaxing smoke on the deck or in the mountains. Have been looking at a lot of websites, forums and such, including this one. Finally decided to join this forum and hope that there are some fellow Canadians that I might get to know here.

Looking forward to reading and learning as much as I can about pipe smoking and getting to know others here and in time when I know more, sharing with others.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. irishflake

irishflake

Login to Send PM

Hello pipe smokers, I am new to the site. My name is Malcolm from Michigan. I started smoking pipes when I was a teenager. I had mostly clay churchwardens and a few briars. I bottomed out on Latakia, various MacBarens, Erinmore Flake and Balkan Sobrani and took up rolling cigarettes with Dutch tobacco the last 30 years. Recently I found a monstrous old freehand 'Malaga' pipe in an antiques mall. It looked to have been smoked every day for millennia and had only 'Prince Albert' used in it. The cake was 3/8 inch thick in a bowl chamber of 1.25 inches. I took it home and lit it up and was off and running. It was the coolest smoke ever.
    Now I'm collecting old pipes again and smoking only Virginia/Perique blends.

"Mount quickly and ride! There is a miasma over this village!"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  49. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello again,

I have been gone for a few months and just wanted to reacquaint myself; I figured this would be the best place to do so. For all the new members since I've been gone, Hi. I have been smoking for almost 10 years now, since I was 18. I like all kinds of tobaccos, but I tend to prefer strong English blends. As some of may remember I had a baby 7 months ago and she is keeping me pretty busy. I hope to be more active as possible, but we'll see how that goes. Wee you on the forums.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. barkar

barkar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome new members! We are glad to have you with us.

Keep your stick on the ice!....Barry....
    Posted 2 years ago #
  51. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello to everyone! I'm new to pipes. I have been a cigar smoker for years. I have one pipe, Savinelli Duca Carlo, that I bought from my local pipe/cigar shop. I read here for several weeks before buying a pipe. I have now smoked it a grand total of five times! I want to thank everyone for the friend requests and for making this forum such a positive place. You have already taught me a lot about smoking a pipe. The discussion on tamping has been especially beneficial! Based on my tobacconist's suggestion, I started with her house blend which is a mild aromatic. So far so good! I think I'm going to like this new hobby! - bp

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. ikondave

ikondave

Login to Send PM

Hiya folks. I'm Dave from beautiful Savannah, GA. It's been a long time since I've smoked/owned a pipe (I've smoked cigars for many years) but I have suddenly developed a strong interest in doing so again. I've been eying a couple of Churchwarden style pipes and expect to get one when I return from vacation. This looks like a great site!

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. pipesicle

pipesicle

Login to Send PM

Hello, My name is Bill and I have been smoking pipes for about 2 weeks now. My wife found out last week. I haven't smoked a pipe since I was 16, my dad found me smoking and literally broke the pipe over my head. So I am still a little leary of smoking...dad is still alive. Looking forward to finding out more about this great hobby/obsession.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. typical98

typical98

Login to Send PM

Hello, i am from Toronto ontario and just started smoking pipes the last couple of weeks. I always remembered as a child my neighbour who used to smoke a pipe that i used to talk to a lot. When asked why he smokes a pipe he simply would say, to think and relax. Now i am 26 going through medical issues that have me very depressed and upset. I cannot work because of it and i have a family i feel i should be providing for. I found an old photo of my old neighbour and i started to remember what he said and that was the push that got me to buy a pipe. And he was correct, it is very relaxing to sit on the porch with my suck of a dog, watch traffic and smoke a pipe.
    Ive joined to learn what i can about pipes, how there made, history of them, different tobacco's and all sorts of stuff. I hope i can be a good add-on to your community that you have here and hope to learn from all of you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

crispy

Login to Send PM

Hello PipesMag! I've just recently come back to pipe smoking and decided I would take it a bit more seriously this time. Now 27, I'm realizing that just picking up what I could at the grocery store and senselessly cramming into a $10 pipe, I may have been missing out on the finer points of this hobby. I've recently decided to wean myself off the cigarettes, which fellow Canadian smokers would tell you, taste like shat compared to the more flavorful blends offered to pipe smokers. I also figured, if I'm going to have a less than healthy habit, I might as well get some genuine enjoyment out of it.

So, I look forward to absorbing some of the wisdom the more senior smokers have to offer and pitching in my two cents where I can. Cheers all!

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I have been smoking a pipe for a few years and I finally had too many questions with no answers. I've lurked on a few forums and this seemed like a good one to join. I look forward to the wisdom you will impart :-).

Sou

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

fizzybubbla

Login to Send PM

Hello. My name is Allen. Newer Pipe smoker im 35, been smoking cigars for about 12 years, as an younger boy I (am still am) was a crazy Bing Crosby fan. The music, the style and movies, I cant get enough. So bing always had a pipe and I always thought that looked so cool and Bing is so relaxed and sophisticated looking when he had a pipe in his mouth. I started smoking cigars when I lived in Canada, a friend owned a cigar store and was giving me heaps of expensive Cuban cigars to try(I enjoyed Bolivar Cubanos the most at that point), Moving back to the US I had no connection to get cubans anymore So I moved on to Davidoff Anniversary, way too soft tasting, so a year ago I decided after buying a pipe to use as a prop in a photoshoot, that Id try pipe smoking. Turns out I love it. Have only enjoyed "Proper English" so far, but the other few I tried were the flavored ones with chocolate, vanilla and I hated those. I like strong cigars, and a glass of good Appleton Dark Rum with some bing crosby records in the background. Thats my idea of relaxing but Im always smoking with or without a drink or music. But ive stopped cigars mostly and enjoy a pipe much more.

Any suggestions on new flavors to move up to or pipes to move upto since Ive been using the same $35 prop pipe would greatly be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. davicles

davicles

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone: I just joined the site today. I've been smoking a pipe since I was 16, and spend every spare dime on tobaccos, to my wife's chagrin. One of my greatest griefs in life is how difficult is it to smoke indoors - I absolutely despise the wild wind effect on a smoke. So I often get up in the middle of the night when the little ones are sleeping to have the gourmet experience in my "man cave". I grew a crop of burley tobacco last year that will not be sold in stores anytime soon, but was fun to play with; and I have been responsible for getting about a dozen men in my residence to seriously take up the pipe. (I ought to get a cut from the Tinderbox proprietor.) I love the articles on the site. G.L. Pease truly is the wise old man of the pipe tribe, and I am such a fan of Cortezattic's tobacco reviews that they are a serious source of procrastination at work. In summer, I incessantly smoke FGF, Erinmore, and Union Square. In other months, I am an English man, with Nightcap, 965, Margate, and Penzance topping the ranks. (My pipe friends & I recently christened Penzance as "unobtainium".)

More generally, my family and I are from Canada. My wife and I have four children who do their best to pull my attention away from sublime puffing to indulge their capers. We moved to South Bend, Indiana, for me to get a Ph.D. in Christian Theology at the University of Notre Dame. One of the nice things about the U.S. is that people seem to have heard of theology; in Canada, it is terra incognita. But perhaps my favorite thing about living here is that you can still - o joy of joys! - smoke indoors. At dingy bars, I grant you; but still. And the bartenders of my city seem to have got used to the pipe-puffing oddity in their midst. Apart from smoking I'm into good beers and whiskies, English literature, philosophy, wild animals, and ghost stories. I prefer the beauty of ancient things to gimmicky modern things, love the passion of the Western mind, and firmly agree with Arthur Yunker's "Theology of Pipe Smoking", the best chapter of which is called: "That we shall smoke in heaven". Ha! I look forward to good chats. Cheers, Dave.

"Every morning I wake up and think good, another 24 hours' pipe-smoking" - J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 2 years ago #
  59. pauliepipes

pauliepipes

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just joined 8/4/12. It has been a while, I just picked up my pipe after 15 or so years. I was generally an aromatic tobacco smoker and found my regular tobacco from local tobacco shop blends. This time around, I am venturing into the tins. Got a few good ones even getting interested in English blends (for the first time).

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. bdstansel

bdstansel

Login to Send PM

Greetings all, new member here. I first started with pipes in the mid-80s, nothing fancy, just function...nothing more than Grabow's. While moving back from overseas the blokes packing us up decided they needed my pipes more than I did. Fast-forward some, I got back into cigars about 2004 and still have 3 active humidors. Now stepping back into the pipe world, again. I'm here to learn, share and visit some.

Respects,
    B

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. phonomet

phonomet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone, Glad to find such a bustling forum. I just got my first pipe about a month ago and I've been enjoying pipe smoking thoroughly. I am a musician by trade and I'm always trying new techniques and learning new instruments. Similar to music, I've found that learning to "play" the pipe is both a challenge and an art form. It seems like there are some true masters here on the site. Looking forward to the interplay.

Sincerely,

Michael (phonomet)

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

petiekas

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Pete and I have always loved the smell of pipe smoke. I have just recently obtained a pipe from a friend and got some Captain Black Cherry. I love it, I am so excited to venture into new types of tobacco and hopefully nicer pipes in my future. I ordered a Dr Grabow Duke Pipe and haven't received it yet but that's what Ill be smoking out of soon. I have been a Cig smoker for the last 17 years and picked up the pipe not even a week ago and have already totally switched. I really enjoy smoking a pipe, its fun, classy, smells & tastes great and satisfies my need for nicotine. I found this site while looking for tobacco and pipes online and signed up so I could ask questions and learn from everyone else's experiences.

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. goldflinger1

goldflinger1

Login to Send PM

Greetings! My name is Ed and I am from Oklahoma. I have recently again started to smoke a pipe after dabbling a bit in college in the 80's. I am currently smoking a cheap pipe with Lane Ltd. 1Q tobacco and it is enjoyable. I have ordered a Peterson Dalkey and anxiously await it's delivery this week. I celebrate my 48th birthday this week as well. Decided to give up cigars and go with the pipe for a bit. Stumbled onto this site via google and in my search for learning more about the pipe and it's use. Was glad to see the good ratings for the 1Q. looks like I picked a good tobacco right off the bat.

"Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died." John Dretschmer
    Posted 2 years ago #
  64. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new members

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. User has not uploaded an avatar

arslayer

Login to Send PM

Hey all, just started smoking pipes a little over a month ago to try and kick the cig habit. I don't own anything too high-end, a few MM cobs and one grabow, but I enjoy it a great deal. I've basically kept with the PA, or Carter Hall stuff since it is close to a cig, but I finally branched out a little and got some Dunhill Royal Yacht (I've always loved Dunhill cigs, so I figured their pipe tobacco should be amazing). Well, I'm hooked and need to keep with it. I'm still hesitant to buy a real nice briar as cobs seem to be working well for me, so I've been spending my money on tobacco instead.

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

ruggierm1

Login to Send PM

Hey Guys,

41 years old, cigar smoker, and new to pipes. So far I own 3 pipes. A MM Country Gentleman, Grabow Omega, and a Chacom Sahara. As far as tobacco is concerned, I've tried Capt Black White and Royal, Petersons Nutty Cut, Sutliff Navigator, and some B&M store blends. Even with the tongue bite, I'm still enjoying this new hobby. I find it very relaxing.

Matt

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaymayse50

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I have been smoking pipes for the last 16 years. Right before my dad passed away, he gave me all of his old pipes from the 60's and 70's. Since my dad was from a small town in Southern New Mexico, they didn't get a lot of expensive pipes in his area while he was smoking. So the collection is mostly of Kaywoodies, Medicos, and Yello-Boles. I would like to do some restoration on them. I have bought lots of Petersons and Savinelli pipes, but my dad's Kaywoodies smoke the best. I would like to get them back to the way they looked when he bought them so I can enjoy them for years to come.

Thanks all for listening.

Jay

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. choppa

choppa

Login to Send PM

Aloha Everyone,

Been lurking around here for a while. I decided I should finally join in! It'll be nice to chat with like minded folks, since all of my non-pipe smoking friends think I'm nuts for spending a small fortune on pipes and tobacco! I think the new Peterson Silver Spigot I just bought (and am still waiting for it to arrive)sealed the deal!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. mangers

mangers

Banned

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    My name is Wayne and I have been smoking pipes for about 13 years. I prefer Burley blends. I Don't have many pipes, but I treasure the ones I do have. I am 53 years old, devorced, with no children. I currently reside in Aurora Illinois but am getting ready to move to Hinkley Illinois.

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. User has not uploaded an avatar

wolfrunner

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone.
    I'm pretty new to the world of pipe smoking. I used to be kind of a snob against any type of smoking. I didn't want to be around any of it. When I got married, I despised the fact that my in-law's smoked (cigarettes), especially in their house. When my son was born 4 years ago, a buddy of mine brought over some cigars to smoke in the back yard. I put aside my snobbery and realized it was actually enjoyable. After a while I realized that cigars are just too darn expensive. Plus, I'm a huge Lord of the Rings nerd and loved the idea of recreating the smoking scene before the birthday party in FOTR. I bought one, & never looked back. I just recently made a significant Craig's List purchased of 22 estate pipes. Some were garbage, and some are pretty decent. I learned a lot about piping in my research to restore & identify those pipes. I still have a question about one specific pipe. If anyone cares to take a gander, I posted my plea for help in the "Pipe Talk" forum. It's called, "Too Good to be True?"
    Happy Piping.

Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   briarfriar, onepyrotec, natibo, purplemotoman, tbradsim1, reichenbach, darwin, jmill208, stluisrey, anthonyrosenthal74, derfatdutchman, voorhees, chispa, mrjerke, weezell, kcvet67, bignben, metarzan, gr8scott, troutface