Status
Not open for further replies.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
By way of introduction here's the link to my pipes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/obelus1/sets/72157625700632656/
I'm an historian living in Portland, OR with my wife, dog and three teenage kids.

mrivney

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
Hi Pipers!

Just joined today.

I am a recent cigar smoker and then my wife asked me to smoke a pipe because of those smelly cigars.

Well, that's one of the best things she's asked me to do!

Still smoking cigars. And doing it at work during break time. It's easy lighting up a bowl during break. (Can't smoke a cigar in the amount of a 15 to 20 minute break.)

Regards, Mike

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Impressive collection Obelus, welcome aboard.

And, welcome to you too Mike.

We're please to have you and look forward to your posts, pictures, and questions.
I have been remise (of late) in my welcome to posts lately, so I wish to extend a "Laurel and Hardy" handshake to all new members.
Don't be shy just dive right in!

calihunter

Lurker
Dec 27, 2010
Hello everyone, New to the site and new to the pipe. After years of walking past the tobacconist and telling the wife how I would like to try a pipe, she has finally taken the first step for me and bought me a starter pipe for Christmas.....So far I love it and look forward to exploring this new past time. I live in the California Bay Area (east bay) and work in the construction field. I look forward to learning from the folks here and hopefully getting some much welcomed pointers.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Thanks Lawrence. Interesting how, if you live long enough, all the random stuff you pick up over the years turns into a collection.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome Obelus, mrivney and calihunter. It is a friendly forum you have found here. Like Lawrence says, jump right in with your posts and any questions you may have. We are more than happy to give you any help you may need. A real fine collection you have Obelus.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Saying Hello

I'm new to the site,and trying to find my way around..When I was a kid my dad moved me from North Carolina to Michigan.When I retired I moved back to Carolina..NASCAR country though I'm not much of a fan.I'm 68 years old now.I've been a pipe smoker for the past 40 of those years.I smoke Aromatics part of the time,but I prefer Latakia blends as long as they're not too heavy.I have about 25 what I call mid grade pipes.I live about 20 minutes from a smoke shop.To be honest though I buy almost all my tobacco online.I hope that now and then I can contribute something worth while to the conversation here.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Glad to have you puffy. Take a look around. Hope to see posts and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Sit back and light up and take a look around, there is a lot of info here.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome obelus, mrivney, calihunter, & puffy!
Obelus, your collection is astounding. I dream of having a fine collection like yours someday.
mrivney & calihunter - We've all been where you are. Some more recently than others... myself included. I have to say without this site and the members of this forum, I would've been very alone on this discovery voyage into the world of pipes. Feel free to ask any questions, no matter how "dumb" or"n00b" you think they are. We all had a learning curve and the members here can help you with just about any problem or concern you can come up with.
puffy, I look forward to hearing of your experiences and any wisdom you can pass along.
-Jason

tobykanary

Lurker
Nov 13, 2010
My name is Toby and I currently reside in the San Francisco Bay Area.
I'm glad to have found this forum and have enjoyed reading the threads from all the active members regarding their fondness of tobacco and the pipes they use.
Cheers!

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
hello, just saying hi as a new member, enjoyed reading topics.

i will post some pic's of some of my pipes when i learn how.

i have somked a pipe off and on since i was 17 and enjoy them.
later

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome toby and chero. Glad to have you here. Jump right in with posts, pics and any questions you may have. You'll find us a friendly group with lots of info to share.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Hi everyone, just joined and here is a short introduction about myself. I'm an expat. I moved to Europe about eight years ago, live in Sweden. Right now sitting in a cabin in the Swedish Mountains. Just learing how to navigate this site and will put up a pic soon! Happy New Year everyone!

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
I should have also mentioned me and my pipes. My nicer hand mades are by Eckhard Stöhr and Erik Nørding . A rustic brandy shape and an apple. I only use Dunhill tobacco in theese, fond of Standard Smooth and Early Morning Pipe. My everyday pipes are more mid grade, an older Orlik and meerschaum block insert Hilson. I enjoy Ashton Gold Rush. The slight honey background is nice but it's the very mild lemon that makes it a fresh and zesty smoke. Within the hours of "lady company" I smoke a Vanilla Creame... The meershaum block insert I like because there is really no need to rest the pipe much. I have learned a lot by reading what others have to say here and I'm glad I found this site.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Glad to have you briar bully. Hope to see many posts and pics. Ask any questions that come to mind, we are a friendly bunch here.

meyer

Lurker
Dec 30, 2010
Nice to have a forum to explore a favorite hobby/past time among likeminded friends. Been on-and-off again pipe smoker for 30+ years. Started out with aromatics but have drifted over time away to cooler smokes.
Have browsed the site and topics and feel like a 'kid in a candy shop' with an hour passing online without much notice.
I don't expect to become as expert on pipes, tobacco and such as some members appear to be but will enjoy the craic!

chars60

Lurker
Nov 6, 2010
Hello Fellow Pipe Enthusiasts!
Just wanted to introduce myself briefly. New to the site but not to the pipe. Have smoked one on and off for the past 34 years but have taken to it avidly now in the last two years - still feel like a novise tho! Have a few pipes that were my Grandfathers and ones that I've acquired now over the years. Would enjoy finding some fellow pipe smokers in my neck of the woods that I could sit, chat and enjoy a smoke with.
Happy New Year to All!
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.