PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Is it just me or are we getting more new members every single day??

Great news for the forum and the community as a whole.

Really heartening to see.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Great too see! It's really picking up out there, my B&M can't keep much in stock these days.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
On a very slow day, we get 2 - 3 new members. On a heavy day, we get 10 - 12. I think the average is around 5 - 6 per day.
And yes, less than 10% of the actual membership will post in threads, but I think about 25% read only.
Additionally, I speculate that 65% of the readers of the site do not have a membership.
This is based on quick number-crunching in my head. I have all kinds of different numbers to look at, but haven't run precise calculations lately.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Perhaps we should help Mike find something better to do!

Those numbers are better than I expected Kevin.

I know I skulked around for a while before actually joining.

Whenever I search for anything pipe related on google, PM is always close to or at the top.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Maybe after they read for a time they will start posting..When you're as old as I am you need to read some young new ideas.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
You may disagree Puffy, but it seems to me older ideas are generally the better ones!

And usually proven to work already.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Its great to see that Pipe smoking is still catching on in spite of all the negative tobacco stuff out there.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
The problem with these new members is that they'll post for lower than the minimum wage if you give them the chance. It's forcing honest veteran members to compete for scribbles and it isn't very dignified if you ask me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a little skulking is good, before joining as a member. So many sites are up for some ulterior

motives -- not paranoid here, just tired of so much spam and ads from others. I assume the pipe professionals

read and take note of the site, but they wouldn't be earning their keep if they didn't. They aren't

hitting us with gratuitous emails and ads either. Heck, we're telling them about what we'd like and

what we enjoy. It's a free focus group of the customers that care the most. What's not to like?

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Indeed, mso489, what is not to like.
I have found more tobaccos that I never tried and probably never would have if I hadn't read about them here. This site has broadened my perspectives, even as an old-time pipe smoker, so it will give the newcomer great advice just when they need it.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
come on lurkers, say something! We arent as intimidating as we look in our avatars, I promise.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
I am not sure how it is in other countries or even cities but here in Dublin there is a bit of a counter culture coming up around pipe smoking. Recently a lot of young people have been smoking really cheap roll up cigarettes or imported ones that East Europeans bring in and pipe smoking has just sort of emerged as a cool way to break the norm. Could be getting some kind of resurgence. I don't care about fads myself, just trying to bring out my inner Bertrand Russel, Einstein, Tolkien-ness :D.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
wel8_zps5c0f98de.gif
to all. :puffy:

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I still consider myself pretty new to the site at going on 5 months and can't imagine how my pipe smoking wold have been without all of the help from the great members of this forum.

Hats off to Kevin for a job well done and all the fantastic members. :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.