PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mongoose108

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
Hello everyone. Not sure if this is the correct forum, but wanted to post this by way of introduction. I turned 60 a few days ago, and made the decision to take up pipe smoking. I know very little about the hobby, so will probably do a lot of reading and lurking here.
I do have one question/concern, and probably it is contraversial or difficult to answer, but here goes. What is the general concensus on smoking a pipe and overall health? Is there a certain amount of smoking that makes it dangerous? I have only tried it a couple times now, but find myself thinking about smoking quite often. It was love at first try.
Thanks

Gary

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum Gary ... it's a great place here!
No one can tell you that smoking is safe.
At least with a pipe you don't inhale or have the tobacco physically touching your mouth.
Also, the goal with pipe smoking is slow and cool sips of smoke so heat is less of an issue as well.
Lastly, the tobacco we smoke is generally natural without chemicals.
No matter what though, it comes down to personal choice and all of us here would certainly

understand if it's a risk you're willing to take! :D

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Hi Gary, welcome to the forums. I would venture to say there are risks in many pleasures in life. You can greatly reduce the risk of health effects from smoking a pipe by practicing good oral hygiene, and going to a dentist for oral check ups from time to time. Also do you inhale? that will be a big factor in lung health. Most believe a 2-3 bowl a day habit whilst not inhaling is not a very risky endeavor. The health benefits of a soothing smoke after a stressful day of work should not be overlooked either.
Opinions vary greatly on this subject.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Welcome to the forum...Pipe smoke gets in your house.It gets in your clothes.I smoke in a chair in the corner of my den beside the chair on a table I have an air purafier on when I smoke.It helps some.Pipe smoking is far more healthy than cigarette smoking.I can't say that it's completely healthy.I've read though that pipe smokers live as long or longer than non smokers.Maybe that has to do with stress levels.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome aboard Gary.
I can relate to your situation as I decided to take up the pipe upon turning 55, which was a little over a year ago. I thoroughly enjoy smoking, but I tend to smoke for 5 or 6 days straight followed by a break for a similar period. I also only smoke one bowl on most days but if I'm lucky I can 4 bowls in on the same day.
I decided that the relaxation pipe smoking provided was worth the risk to me.
If you decide to continue or just want to learn more about it, you've come to the right place!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Welcome to the forum. Yes as a group assuming you don't inhale we do as a group tend to lurk around on earth longer than the average man!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome aboard Gary. You will find a LOT of great info here as well as some different opinions.
I have to agree with most of what has already been said or I wouldn't smoke.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Welcome, like most activities there is always some risk involved. Pipe smoking can be linked to oral cancers, then again like most cancers they come after a lifetime of doing an activity. You're starting at 60, life expectancy is 78 or less so I doubt you'll developed and oral cancer after only 18 years, especially if you do it with some moderation.. I started when I was 46-47 so I'm not overly concerned . Smoke maybe 4-5 bowls a week, I have gone months without as well, I also smoke the occasional cigar. My cardiologist knows and is not concerned .

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the Forum, Gary. I've been a pipe smoker for over 44 years and am 62 years old. Our's is a contemplative hobby. Relaxed, reflective and, generally, more approachable. In short, better people. This is a great spot to hang out and learn about all things pipe. There are many knowledgeable people here and your time will be well spent and, I'm sure, very enjoyable. Jump in with both feet and have fun.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Welcome to the wonderful world of pipe smoking my friend! This forum is full of great people and great knowledge (sometimes too much)! I've been smoking for less than a year and did not smoke before picking up a pipe. I never liked inhaling and cigars have always been too pungent and not to my liking. That is why pipes seemed like a good idea to try. I love the hobby, but I am fairly new to this stuff myself. I only smoke a few bowls a week and typically prefer aromatics or Virginias so far.
As to health related issues, I cannot offer any advice. There was a post about this topic awhile back where someone referenced an article written by a doctor. Basically he did some research to calculate out the risks associated with different types of tobacco and frequency of use. Piping was the absolute lowest risk of all. In fact, I believe that smoking even one bowl per day had almost zero effect. Granted that this was just ONE doctor's opinion, but it helped put my mind at ease.

mongoose108

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
I appreciate all of the replies, clearly pipe smoking also attracts highly intelligent people judging by the answers. Of course, Life is always risky, even walking out the door. Nor do any of us escape unscathed, so it makes perfect sense to enjoy oneself and not worry too much. Now that that's out of the way, what's with all these different pipe shapes and styles? LOL.
Thanks for the warm welcome, I anticipate a fun rewarding experience here.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
"I believe the statistics are that as a group we live longer than non-smokers" :puffy:
Welcome, Gary!
Like everything in life, smoking a pipe is a choice . . . one that we have all made. The slower you smoke without inhaling, the cooler the smoke. I smoke a pipe when I want to relax and reduce stress. I might go days without a pipe. The nice thing about the hobby is that there is no set of rules, with the exception of "don't abuse your pipes!"
Since you are new to the hobby, I'd recommend that you go to the Missouri Meerschaum website (on the side panel) and buy a couple of cobs (NO Chinese). They are an inexpensive way to get started, and are a forgiving way to learn. I started out with briar pipes and never considered a cob until I joined this forum. If you want to make your cob feel a little more like a briar, invest in a Forever stem from WalkersBriarWorks. They run about $30 and are interchangable as long as your cobs are all filtered, or unfiltered.
All of our on-line sponsors have good descriptions of tobacco. Take your time and read them. Make notes about what your interested in, compare prices, read tobacco reviews that are posted on this site. Think about your purchases, buy bulk in 1 oz lots for an inexpensive way to "sample" and learn what you like. Store the samples in glass canning jars.
Buy the best briar you can afford. Go with an refurbished estate if you are comfortable with the idea. We have several guys on the site that do a fantastic job. I have several Peterson and Savinelli pipes. Being 1/4 Irish I'd love to say that Peterson is the only way to go, but I can't lie - I love my Savinelli pipes and reach for them 7 out of 10 times.
Hope some of this advice helps. Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of smoking a pipe!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Welcome Gary, I too just took up pipes after 8 years smoking cigars. I am also 60 so we are starting the journey at the same time. This site has a lot of good info. but so much to learn, but number 1-SLOW and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.