PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantu

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
Great site. First smoked a pipe some 40 odd years ago and have been an intermittent pipe smoker since. Gave up a hefty 2-3 pack a day cigarette habit in 1998, but was able to continue to enjoy occasional cubans while I lived in Hong Kong for many years. Now relocated to New Zealand and good cigars are hard to find, expensive and often badly stored, so have begun reactivating my pipes. Current favourite is a Chacom.
Biggest problem in NZ is the very limited range of tobaccos available locally, inevitable I guess in such a small market and with smoking generally very much on the decline. Basically, you get Borkum Riff, Captain Black, maybe some Erinmore and that's about it. If there are any NZers on the site I'd wlecome pointers to any reliable online suppliers they have used.
As I'm pretty much starting from scratch again, and there seems to be an embarrassment of tobacco riches available in the rest of the world, I would welcome members' recommendations for a small selection of tobaccos that would be good to explore, both aromatic and non-aromatic.
Many thanks, David

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
David, Welcome! You may have a paucity of tobaccos locally, but can you order in from the UK, for example. If so I can give you some excellent sources and some advice.
PS Silly question, but are you onto rugby union? We are looking to complete a virtual team here!!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome aboard, David!
My in-laws are all in Auckland; I have fallen in love with NZ. Sorry about the draconian import taxes and duties, we have it bad in Canada but you poor bastards have it worse.
-- Pat

Aug 1, 2012
Welcome to the forum and to the hobby. I loved my time in en-zed but probably wouldn't choose it for a final landing spot because of the crazy tobacco tax laws. You can use 4noggins for international shipments but the taxes can be horrendous.

hantu

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
Wow, thanks for the prompt responses all. And yes, despite the 15% GST (national sales tax)and a few other minor things, it's a beautiful country and am enjoying being back after more than two decades abroad.
FlakeyJakey, love to watch a good game of RU but sorry not into it enough to play it virtually, more of a sailor. But I would welcome suggestions of a selection that would open up my tobacco palate a bit, and also recommendations of the best UK online stockist.
Thanks Captainsousie. Thanks for the 4nogggins suggestion. Are you talking about taxes once they get to NZ, or at the US end? I have seen this and pipesandcigars and a couple of others. Is there a definitive 'these are the best' consensus re online shops, or are there a bunch that are pretty much the same in terms of pricing and service?

Aug 1, 2012
The taxes and duties will come on the NZ end. As for price and service, they are all pretty close on price but Rich at 4noggins provides some of the best customer service I have seen. If you give him a call, he can give you a much clearer picture of the whole tobacco shipping deal than I can. He's also pretty good on the email side too.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
The best UK stockist is 'mysmokingshop' - a great range, very efficient and will ship to NZ. Happy piping - the perfect hobby for a sailor!!

hantu

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
Thanks for the mysmokingshop recommendation flakeyjakey, also had a quick and helpful response from Rich at 4Noggins.

Status
Not open for further replies.