PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I started smoking a pipe when I first moved to college in 2006 out of boredom and curiosity. I ended up with what had to have been the world's worst case of tongue bite (a result of having no idea what i was doing). I was very turned off of pipe smoking and forgot all about the hobby. However about a year ago I got a wild hair and decided I'd give it one more go. Long story short, here I am several pipes and experimental tobacco blends later browsing this website. Fortunately, I've done my research this time around and believe I have successfully mastered the basics of packing/ lighting/ smoking etc. (much more rewarding this time I might add). Anyway I stumbled upon this site while searching for an answer to a few of my questions.
I'll start with this question first and leave myself some material for later posts. Should I dump the ash from the top of the bowl when I have to relight? I've always left it but purely out of ignorance. I guess I'm afraid I'm going to dump good tobacco along with it.
Thanks

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I sometimes dump out the ash, but not always, as I'm usually afraid that the tobacco will follow out. Anyway, welcome to the forum. :puffpipe:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome. Good question. I've seen some guys dump the ash and then tamp but I'd say they are in the minority. There's probably a scientific reason for and against but I'll let the pyrotechs chime in on that one.

Personally, I don't dump ash until I'm done with the entire bowl.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Welcome to the site. I don't dump the ash after tamping. I don't really see why you would need to.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard. I know I was told not to dump ash,once upon a time, but I don't remember why any more. :P

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Welcome aboard! I have never dumped the ash, as unburned tobacco may yet be in that upper layer. Different tobaccos and cuts burn differently too. I like the stuff, light, and tamp before relighting process.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The dumping of top ash isn't a topic that really gets discussed here with any passion. If the bowl is rather large and you need to relight, try it with the ash on top.
If it's a no go, dump away. But before you dump be sure to gently stir the ash with your pick or spoon too loosen it up more. Then a gentle tip is all that's needed. Don't turn the bowl completely upside down, just to the side.
Welcome to the forums and Happy Smoking. :puffy:

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
I dump ash 4 out of 10 times to get a good relight and if yer worrying about a couple of specks of good baccy being tossed let me ask ya this ever try and empty a 1/2 smoked bowl?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I find it's better to every once and a while dump some of the ash from the top out of the bowel by very gently turning the bowel upside down and giving it a couple of tiny taps on the side. There should still be ash left that you level out and tamp down on, to aid in the relighting. Sometimes your ash just gets so thick that it actually hinders the re-lighting process. The whole idea of this is to get rid of the unwanted excess. No you should not do it everytime you relight, unless you only relight once or twice (like me). A good layer of ash is very important for getting and keeping a good light, I hope this helps some.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I find that on the deeper bowls I tend to tip it over gently maybe halfway through or so.
There's no mad science that makes it right or wrong. Or at least none that I know of, but I can be corrected.
Welcome to the club ! Sit down, relax, buckle up and enjoy the ride :puffpipe:

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Thanks for the responses guys. To me it seemed as if I wasn't getting as good of a relight in a larger bowl with the ash as I got closer to bottom. I tried dumping once about 1/2- 2/3 of the way through the bowl and found that it gave me a better light IMO. Just gently turned it sideways and gently tapped, it still left a good amount of ash in the bowl.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Welcome,jtaggie. Sometimes i dump half way thru my deep bowls. Then again, I'm a total noob at this so I'm no authority.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I normally don't. Sometimes if I tamp and it seems to be well-packed but not burning quite how I want, I'll pick a little under the ember and lift it a bit. Then I'll take a couple puffs and when the smoke rolls the way I like, I'll gently seat it again. Saves me a relight once in a while.

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
I dump loose ash as I see fit. The only time I lose tobacco , as of now is from my cob. Maybe because it's new. I might dump then tamp

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Welcome aboard. I don't dump in regard to tamping or relights. I wait till it's all smoked up, then stir and dump.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I find it's better to every once and a while dump some of the ash from the top out of the bowel by very gently turning the bowel upside down and giving it a couple of tiny taps on the side. There should still be ash left that you level out and tamp down on, to aid in the relighting. Sometimes your ash just gets so thick that it actually hinders the re-lighting process. The whole idea of this is to get rid of the unwanted excess. No you should not do it everytime you relight, unless you only relight once or twice (like me). A good layer of ash is very important for getting and keeping a good light, I hope this helps some.
That's pretty much what I do also. Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.