PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidas3

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
Hi,
I'm a new member. Pleased to be here. I grew up (roundly debatable) in San Diego, California but have been living in Israel for about 40 years and in Jerusalem - "The Big Holy", in contrast to "Apple" - for 35 of them. I began smoking a pipe at 17 when my folks gifted me a pipe on a trip to Victoria Island, B.C. That was back in '64. The pipe, which appears to have gone missing when I was in the Navy, was not too expensive and might have been a Dunhill Shell Briar, but I don't remember much more than that.
I left off the pleasures of pipe smoking about 28 years ago. This all changed when I found a long lost mason jar stuffed with 28 year old, unopened zip-locked bags of Georgetown Tobacco Co. blends along with an unopened tin of Rattray's Red Rapparee (and an empty tin of Accountant's Mixture). The Georgetown blends I found were a no-longer produced Byzantium, Special "D", 1269, Shenandoah, aromatic Reveries and Night Owl. They were all still moist and somewhat cavendish'd. When I opened this sealed jar, the most amazing fragrance wafted out and immediately banished any thought of not smoking a pipe.
I just purchased an L. Viprati bent rustic POY (I think.) It's stamped but not numbered. My pipes from back in the day are a calabash meerschaum which always smoked great, a George Jension DANIA 641 bent bulldog and another George Jensen MIRA standard, an English made Falcon aluminum job, which I got to withstand the rigors of army life and my dad's 65 year old Amphora standard. I'm breaking in the Viprati, but it do smoke well… very well. Cool and the tobacco tastes great.
I'm now getting acquainted with tobaccos produced by blenders new to me and having a blast (my wife and daughters, not so much) starting off with McClelland since they are available here: Arcadia, Old Dog, No. 22 Matured - all three of which I'm enjoying tremendously. I sampled some Samuel Gawaith's Skiff and liked that as well. That's pretty much it.
A healthy winter and good smoking to all and
All the best,
David

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Welcome to the form
120gzzo.gif

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Welcome David! You write as though you've got some good smokers. Enjoy the exploration of the myriad of blends that are out there. Some great ones have departed over the years but, there are a bunch of great ones available yet.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Ahhh,l Israel. I lived there myself but only for about 15 months. My parents met at a Kibbutz relatively close to you in 1974ish. I visited for my first time summer of 1999. I loved Jerusalem. Such an amazing rich city. Welcome aboard! I know there are a lot of cigarette smokers out there but visited those parts before my pipe days and would love to hear about the pipe scene in Israel.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome to the forum David.
I visited Isreal for a couple of weeks a little over 20 years ago, and I still rave about it to this day. It is a truly amazing country in so many respects. I wanted to live in Jerusalem but it wasn't in the cards. Shortly thereafter I ended up in Mexico and I've been here ever since. As pipebaum81 stated, I'm also quite interested in hearing about your experience as a pipe smoker in Israel.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Delighted to meet you, David, and I hope we hear much from you. We need some new blood around here! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.