PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbum

Lurker
Apr 21, 2018
Started smoking a pipe as a college freshman in 1968 in Superior, Wis. Never smoked before. Bought a cheap pipe at the local drugstore (probably a Graybow). Bought some OTC tobacco, Half and half and the ubiquitous Cherry Blend. Really didn't like any of it. I was playing bass in a band at the time and our drummer was a pipe smoker. I related how I really didn't really care for pipe smoking and that very next Saturday we went across the bridge to Duluth, Minn. and to the local Edwards Pipe shop. He had me try some Base 88 which actually was one of their blending bases. Had one bowl and was hooked. Been smoking a pipe off and on since then. Just got back to my pipes after about 3 years of cigars. Looking forward to being part of the forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bass', where in the Land of Lincoln are you? I grew up in the near northwest Chicago suburb of Park Ridge, which for many years had the Park Ridge Pipe Shop, long gone today. Welcome aboard. (Now I live in central N.C.)

bassbum

Lurker
Apr 21, 2018
Born in Lincolnwood and moved to Glenview in '58. Lived in Glenview till I moved to Michigan. Just moved back to my home state 2 years ago. Thanks for the welcome.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Our paths have crossed! I rode through Glenview nearly every week on our way to my grandparents' in Highland Park. My dad's family had a little "summer home" farm in Holton, MIchigan, a tiny town east of Muskegon, where they vacationed without electricity or running water. My wife interned at the Detroit Free Press during the summer of the riots in the sixties. She grew up in remotest rural Missouri near the Iowa line and the Mississippi River.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Hiya bum!

Welcome to the forum. I've lived just east of Lincolnwood, in West Ridge (near Peterson and Western) since 1951.

Now that you're relatively near, come to the Chicago Pipe and Tobacciana Show at Pheasant Run, in St. Charles, on the weekend of May 4-6.

Here's a link to the info:

http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/2018-pipe-tobacciana-show-flyer/

If you can make it, say hello to the guy you see in my Avatar; I'll be at the show check-in table on Saturday morning.

And, again, a hearty welcome to the forum.

Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.