New Member Here from Michigan (Meerschaum Pipe Pics Included)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kft22

Lurker
Mar 9, 2013
Figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself after lurking about for a bit. I just started pipe smoking a few days ago, with a Dr. Grabow Omega and MM cob, and the Victory Lap sampler from pipesandcigars.com. I'm really liking Scotty's Butternut Burley, with Trout Stream being my second favorite. Haven't tried the Anniversary Kake yet, and I'm not fond of Larry's Blend (though I may need to give it a few more shots before deciding on that sentiment). Just finished smoking my best bowl so far in the Omega (BB) - only had to light it once and it tasted quite good all the way through.
Also, I had been checking out meers on ebay for a few days and finally pulled the trigger on a couple of them. Got the Servi Meer for $27 shipped and the second one for $7 shipped (Gotta love impulse shopping! Especially when it doesn't empty the wallet :) ). Here are some pics - curious to hear what you all think about them!
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg

secondpic2.jpg
secondpic1.jpg
secondpic3.jpg
secondpic5.jpg
secondpic6.jpg

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Looks like those meers were great deals! They're in great condition. I'm in Michigan as well. I live in the thumb, about 30 miles west of Port Huron. Oh and welcome to the forums!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hello! And welcome to the forums ...and pipe smoking in general.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to snap those pix and post them here. :clap:

I like the 1st meer -- and it looks like it has only been smoked once. It should be a great smoker.

The 2nd meer looks like it has a replacement stem, which shouldn't matter; but the whole pipe should clean up well.
At the top of the left hand column of this page there is a "Search On Site" box. Search for White Goddess.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
First off, welcome to the forums kft22. 2ndly, congrats on figuring out how to post a pic so fast. That's gotta be a world record! I think those pipes are pretty cool. I love the vintage "been used for years" look. You've got a few nice one's there.

kft22

Lurker
Mar 9, 2013
Looks like those meers were great deals! They're in great condition. I'm in Michigan as well. I live in the thumb, about 30 miles west of Port Huron. Oh and welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the observations, I was unsure of whether I made a couple of boneheaded decisions. Cool to hear you're from Michigan too. You'll have to give me the rundown on the Michigan tobacco scene (shops, events, etc) sometime!
Hello! And welcome to the forums ...and pipe smoking in general.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to snap those pix and post them here.

I like the 1st meer -- and it looks like it has only been smoked once. It should be a great smoker.

The 2nd meer looks like it has a replacement stem, which shouldn't matter; but the whole pipe should clean up well.
At the top of the left hand column of this page there is a "Search On Site" box. Search for White Goddess.
Thank you for the welcome, observations, and the tips! And the time/effort of posting the pics was no biggie - I just copied them off of the ebay pages :P
First off, welcome to the forums kft22. 2ndly, congrats on figuring out how to post a pic so fast. That's gotta be a world record! I think those pipes are pretty cool. I love the vintage "been used for years" look. You've got a few nice one's there.
Thanks, zonomo! I'm looking forward to participating in the forum, and hopefully progressing quickly as a pipe smoker. There's way more to it than I initially thought.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
give me the rundown on the Michigan tobacco scene (shops, events, etc) sometime!

The only place I know of is Pauls Pipe Shop, it's in Flint on Saginaw Road, by the school. The owner is 100 years old, and it has been in business for 85 years. They have tons of pipes, and a good bit of tobacco. They also have their own line of tobacco and pipes. I have two of their pipes, a Oom Paul, and a Canadian.

kft22

Lurker
Mar 9, 2013
The only place I know of is Pauls Pipe Shop, it's in Flint on Saginaw Road, by the school. The owner is 100 years old, and it has been in business for 85 years. They have tons of pipes, and a good bit of tobacco. They also have their own line of tobacco and pipes. I have two of their pipes, a Oom Paul, and a Canadian.
Paul's pipe shop's website looks awesome, thanks for the heads up.

kft22

Lurker
Mar 9, 2013
Then I guess I'll have to make my way up there sometime. I'm in Howell, so it's not too far away.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome - I'm from Michigan as well.

As for pipe shops - besides Paul's, there's Campbell's Smoke Shop in East Lansing, Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor, Trader Tom's in Northville, Churchills in Birmingham, and Hill & Hill in Grosse Pointe Farms. Paul's is certainly the biggest.

Jim Simon at Hill & Hill carries only his own blends, but has an extensive selection of estate pipes. I've only been to Trader Tom's and Maison Edwards once each, but they are long-established places - as are all the others. Churchills used to be a full-service tobacconist, and has recently been turned into a bistro/cigar bar, although my son-in-law informs me they do have some pipe tobacco. I haven't been there. Campbell's sells mostly cigars these days, but they still have their own blends, and some tinned stuff. To the best of my knowledge, none of these places are selling relabeled Lane's.

I don't think any of them do e-commerce, although they all do mail-order. (Don't know about Churchills.)

kft22

Lurker
Mar 9, 2013
Jud, thanks for all the info! I'll have to slowly check most of those places out. I am in East Lansing every day during the week, so I'll definitely check out Campbell's, and I go to Ann Arbor from time to time, so Maison Edwards will be another to check out in the near future. Paul's sounds like it's a pretty awesome place, so that's also definitely on the list.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You're quite welcome. Campbell's is in the first block of M.A.C., on the left side coming from Grand River. "The store with the red door."
Oh, and as to Larry's Blend - if you smoke a few bowls, and decide it's not your thing, put it in a clean mason jar and put it aside for 6 months. You are just starting out, and Larry's is a bit complex for new pipe smokers. A delightful blend, however.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Welcome to the forums and hello from a fellow Michigander! I'm a Troll, how bout you?

kft22

Lurker
Mar 9, 2013
Thanks again for the welcomes.
Spyder: I'm also a Troll, way under the bridge. Living in Howell but probably moving to East Lansing this summer.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Greetings from the UP and welcome to the forum.
Do you trolls ever check out Hill and Hill out of Grosse Point? He is quite the tobacconist.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Jeff, Jim Simon at Hill & Hill is my B&M. Been going in there for gettin' on towards 40 years, now. He's less than 10 minutes away by car.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
That's excellent. My Lady's father was a loyal customer of his for many years. He had a blend that Jim would put together for him, however, he moved to the UP about 10 years ago and was slowly weened off of his special blend. However, this past January I called Jim to see if he remembered the blend, which he did, and I ordered up a pound and surprised my Lady's father with it for his birthday. I also ordered a few ounces of what he called his "most popular" selling blend and I found it to be pretty pleasing. I didn't catch the name of the blend, the name wasn't on the package, however, it reminded me of 1Q. I don't get down state much, however, I will probably be placing an order with him down the road. It must be nice to have a great shop with good people that close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.