Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Hi Everyone. I’m new to the boards here. I have been researching some topics here about “is this mold” and home-pressing tips for improving my own plugs. I refer to myself publicly as a VaPer guy, but I definitely insert Straight VA, Burley and, even the “occasional” English into my normal rotation.
I am an experienced pipe smoker, but I am by no means an expert. I love learning new things about tobaccos. I do enjoy my pipes as well.
Speaking of my pipes and living in Nashville, I know Pete Prevost so I was surprised with a Briarworks pipe 2 years ago for Christmas. Pete showed me his workshop and I even got to pursue his cellar so he had an idea of what I was looking for in my next pipe when my wife contacted him. I also was helping a family move in town about 3 years ago, little did I know that it was Jody Davis’ sister so I got to talk pipe carving with one of the greatest for like an hour or two. I’m not sure how popular his pipes are, but I also used to work with Mike who carves “Mandy” artisan pipes.
If I say I have never tried Mixture 79, will get kicked out before I even get to know everyone?
-David

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
transpose, welcome aboard. Mixture 79 gets mixed reviews here. Actually, some members like it quite well, that licorice zing. Although it is also often the subject of humor. I've stayed in your city, years ago, at a business meeting at that themed Grand Ole Opry hotel complex, actually quite good for having a meeting all under one roof, with real food readily available and (at the time anyway) a boat ride on a man-made canal through a tropical landscape on the lower level. There was a major flood on the location a few years later, but I'm sure its long since back in operation. Pretty nice venue, an easy walk to the Opry auditorium (the "new" one, not the classic). Mostly I worked on the meeting, but I did catch a boat ride one lunch break. One of the major guitar makers, maybe Martin, has a workshop on the premises, if I remember.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome to our asylum, transpose! No, I don't think your lack of experience with a "pouch" blend will cause anyone here to think less of you.
Take me, for example. I'm 66 & probably the only person from GA who's not only never read GWTW, but also hasn't watched the movie. I haven't had my citizenship revoked yet.
That I know of, anyway. }:)
Bill

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello and welcome, transpose!
I'm in central Texas but my wife's son lives in Nashville.
We took a trip there last August to visit, see the eclipse and celebrate my wife's birthday. We also visited Pete & Company at BriarWorks. You can read about it HERE.
jay-roger.jpg

tnfan

Lifer
Jan 9, 2012
Franklin, Tennessee
Welcome aboard. I am also from the Nashville area just barely in Franklin in Temple Hills. If you get a chance you might want to hook up with Joe Case and and Steve Morrisette. They are also well known local pipe artisans.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Big welcome from Kentucky! I actually like Mixture 79. I'm buddies with Bruce Weaver, also from Tennessee, and have a number of his pipes.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Welcome
I currently stationed at Ft Campbell (but deployed right now) but get down to Nashville quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.