PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdunbar

Lurker
Dec 23, 2017
Arizona
Good day everyone. I just recently found this pipe community and thought I'd join up and give it a try.

It's pipe smoking weather in Arizona now and I've been enjoying my days outside with a pipe and the usual assortment of OTC tobacco's that are available locally.

I've been smoking a pipe on and off for years but after finding this site and doing some reading around the web I've realized I am missing out and that there is much more out there!
I have been hitting all the local Tobacco stores in the area and have found out that not one sells anything other than the usual over the counter brands and I have to end up explaining what I mean when I say I am looking for a more premium pipe tobacco...they all think I'm referring to the glass pipes and bongs!
Anyway, I would appreciate some advice from some local Arizona members on some dedicated pipe and Tobacco shops in my state and especially the Mesa/phoenix area that might be able to steer me to the type of brick and mortar store I'm looking for and also info on and pipe clubs/groups etc in Arizona.
Looking forward to reading and learning from the experience of the other members here from around the world. THANKS!! :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome, jdunbar! It's always good to see a new member. I'll be looking forward to your posts. It's great you want to support your local B&Ms. But there's also a ridiculous amount of different brands and blends to try if you order from Smokingpipes.com or Pipesandcigars.com.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Welcome fellow Arizonian. There aren't as many decent pipe shops as there used to be. One of the better stocked shops is located near 24th st and Camelback Rd: Ye Old Tobacco Shoppe, 4525 N 24th St, Ste 110, Phoenix, AZ 85016 This shop also has a pipe group that meets, I think every Thursday evening.
They have another store located near I-17 and Dunlap Rd, but I haven't been there in a year or two.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. I would suggest grabbing a tin of Escudo and Capstan Blue Flake. Both are premium tobacco's that are widely available. Our sponsors are some of the best online tobacconists in the world.

jdunbar

Lurker
Dec 23, 2017
Arizona
They say that first impressions are everything and mine was great!! I've been looking for a store all over that stocked a good selection of premium pipe tobacco and have now found one.

I walked through the door and immediate saw what a beutiful place this was, open and very spacious and was immediately asked if I needed any help.

I said I was looking for a place that sold premium pipe tobacco and was shown the pipe section that displayed dozens of imported tins as well as a large rack with jars full of pipe tobacco's.

A great selection of pipes and accessories also grabbed my attention. I ended up buying a tin of Dunhill Durbar tobacco and a brand new Missouri Meerschaum to try it out in.

Very happy! I'll be going back again soon when I have the time to really check the place out but what a great first impression!! Thank you daveinlx for the recommendation!!! :D

jdunbar

Lurker
Dec 23, 2017
Arizona
Just finished my third bowl of the Dunhill Durbar this evening. My first experience with premium Tobacco... OMG! So Good!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Welcome aboard Jdunbar from great State of Arizona, I'd like to go living in Juma,good weather all year around & low taxes

Now,should you notice in your local drugstore any of Amphoras, brown or red,or Lane Limited RR,then In your place 'd pick a pouch for the variety sake,these offer good constant quality at affordable price.Merry Christmas from Finland-Eu, Paul

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Just joined as well. North Phoenix. If you haven't been yet, Ye Olde Pipe and Tobacco and or Stag Tobacconists (same owner-Family). Really nice people, very very well versed in their trade. Ye Olde has a great selection of pipes new and estate. They have helped me start the journey.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Welcome to the forums! I was born and raised in AZ and I lived most of my life in Flagstaff. It’s the only place I could ever call home. Sorry can’t help you with any recommendations, all the stores I used to frequent as a kid were put out of business years ago. I have such fond memories of those stores though. Hell, back then there was even a Tinderbox in the Flagstaff Mall. I used to love going in there for the aroma alone, guess I was always destined to become a pipe smoker.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hawky, I remember a great tobacco shop in old town Flag, I think it was very close to the Monte V. I wonder if it is still open?

Status
Not open for further replies.