PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdlish

Lurker
Apr 16, 2018
New to pipe smoking, purchased my first in Jan. 2018 Pear wood mis-cut from amazon. Been smoking a all natural Black Cavendish. Just purchased a Clay, Briar and Cob. Wanting to go more authentic with the kind of tobacco. Been doing some research and wrote down some brands, like 1792, Samuel Gawith, Grousemoor. But like ropes , flake and whole leaf, but not sure what is the best to smoke in what pipe? Any incite would be grateful.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy jrdlish, and welcome!
Lots of great folks are members here including a bunch of old timers who will do a much better job of getting you started than me. Enjoy the group!
Pipestud

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Welcome. I always google my questions, which inevitably brings me to older threads here. Many of the questions we come up with have been asked before. I will say one thing: 1792 has a very distinct taste of tonquin, and the pipe you smoke it in will have that taste. It's called ghosting. I do not have many pipes, but one is for 1792 flake only.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Welcome! I'd encourage you to seek out a local pipe store and ask a bunch of questions there. I believe that there is no substitute for holding, seeing, and smelling tobaccos and pipes when you're first getting started. As far as traditional Tobaccos go, I'd steer clear of strongly flavored blends like Grousemoor or 1792 for the time being, and steer toward more pure old school tobaccos, like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, for one. Before that, it'd be best to get your technique figured out with some blends that smoke easily, like many Burley and English Blends, or really any ribbon-cut non-aromatic from a reputable manufacturer. Once you know how to light, tamp, puff a while, tamp, and repeat, then you can move on to more finicky tobacco types like flakes, ropes, and plugs. Use tobaccoreviews.com to look up blends and get an idea of what's what. There is an amazing array of tobacco varieties and blends available, so give everything a fair shot of a few ounces before giving up (unless you absolutely detest it) as your pipes need to break in, your tongue needs to break in, and your palate needs to become accustomed to looking for flavors not found before. Anyway, welcome, and enjoy the journey!

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Hi there jrdlish,
Just enjoy your journey in pipe smoking. Relishing every moment of it even the tongue burn in the beginning :lol:. I was new as well in pipe smoking. Just started last February for my first puff and first pipe. I'd look every forum and facebook's page in my country (Indonesia) and find a great home. Communities and friends will help you enjoyed it better :puffpipe:

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Welcome. All aboard. You starting with some of the strongest tobacco choices available. This hobby or addiction is strong, try everything, find what you like .

jrdlish

Lurker
Apr 16, 2018
Thanks to everybody who has replied, but with the question of what tobacco is best in what pipe still not clear or does it mater. Thanks

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm of the school it doesn't count for much- unless you think it does.
But I'd start with easier tobaccos- plugs and such require more finesse than ready rubbed or shag cuts. Dry it well!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It seems nobody really agrees on any answer to your question. Some guys swear that virginias are best in pipe that is tall and narrow, like a 2:1 ratio, and some say it doesn't matter. Other than that, well, dry your tobacco, keep enough pipes so you can let them rest between smokes, read the forums. Everything has been asked and answered before. Sort of...

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Cheers and welcome. I look forward to following along with you on this great forum.

jrdlish

Lurker
Apr 16, 2018
If one had to single out too a few of his most favorite tobaccos what would they be, and what kinda pipes would you choose too smoke?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I favour pipes with small, square bowls. Shortish smokes (depending on the toby, of course—ribbon will burn faster than a flake), which is useful in case I don't like the blend.
I'm a relatively new piper too, so I haven't zoned in on a 'favourite' blend, but have so on a genre: I prefer aromatics.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
There are no rules set in stone as to which size pipe or bowl you should use with this or that tobacco,as long as the bowl is not packed too tight so as to allow air to circulate around the tobacco.However,I do have an MO that I tend to stick to that works for me.STRONG TOBACCO such as some of the ones you listed I Smoke in a small to medium sized pipe,the smaller size permits me to complete smoking the bowl without getting my socks blown off from the nicotine,and I can still enjoy the flavor.FLAKES I smoke as is in bowls that are a little bit deeper and narrower in diameter.Why?Flakes take a little more fire to keep them going,and a narrow bowl that is say 2-3” deep can produce a stronger draw to help pull the flame down into flakesI have found that wide,shallow bowls don’t work so well for flakes.RUBBED OUT FLAKE / RIBBON / SHAG: These will burn well in any bowl,deep,wide,shallow,narrow,tapered,straight.My tip is to dry the tobacco out for a few hours or more if needed prior to smoking.Cornell and Diehl tobaccos come at the perfect humidity level.a dryer tobacco will allow the flavor to come through,less

Condensation meaning less bitterness,less gurgling,your pipe breaks in faster,much less if any tounge bite.And again,fill the bowl in such a way that air can circulate around the strands of tobacco,With shags,ribbons,and rubbed out Flake,there should be a SPRINGYNESS to the tobacco and an easy,open draw.Hope this helps to get you on your way.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy! Pear wood makes a good pipe, as does cherry, & they have the advantages of being both relatively inexpensive *&* having a nice flavor their own. For ones like that my choice as a starter would be a decent cube-cut burley or a Virginia, possibly with just a little flavor. Dark aromatics smell great but can be a problem keeping properly lit till you get more of a feel for it. Definitely don't go with the cheaper commercial (i.e., non-pipe-store) tobaccos -- they WILL burn your tongue because of the heavy casing (** - see below), I guarantee it. Captain Black's not bad (I prefer their original, but they have several flavors). You might laugh, but Sir Walter Raleigh isn't a bad one to start with; you'll probably want something with a little more flavor, though.
As far as best which for which, to me it's all personal preference. Best advice I can give is to echo verbatim what mikefu said -- make friends at a nearby pipe store. If they know their stuff at ALL they'll have both good info *&* some different good blends for you to try out. Re the ** above, "casing" is a method of flavoring; it's not necessarily bad unless overdone. Good summary of it here -- https://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos#Aromatics_VS._Non-Aromatics
Pipedia, BTW, is a pretty good site for overall pipe stuff & has a lot of very interesting & informative articles. There are a TON of pipe sites out there, some good, some not-so. Pipedia is a favorite of mine since it has background on a lot of pipemakers, well-known as well as some more obscure ones. Be warned, though; it's a VERY easy rabbit hole to get lost in!

jrdlish

Lurker
Apr 16, 2018
Thanks for input. We have no pipe stores around these parts just them non-pipe stores, I.E like those so called head shops. Starting out with super value all natural tobacco. Till I got some more input from others. Thinking bout ordering some whole leaf and rope, don’t really care for ribbon cut that I’ve tried. The kind I’ve been smoking is more chunky. Got some nice pipe made in Denmark by some well known pipe makers free hand made brair wood. But I was reading an old post here on (The Oldest Available Pipe Tobacco Blend) and decided to go with the more authentic blends as I favor the old ways. But I’m still looking for nice clay, the ones I got I decided not to use as they date back to the 1800s and are in good condition. But the more input you people can give the easier the discussion it is to make on the blends of the old days, when pipe smoking use a gentleman’s way before they got into this whole trailer made pre-rolls and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.