PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevechills

Lurker
Dec 10, 2018
I've picked up a pipe on and off since Freshman year of college in 1979 and recently I am enjoying a daily bowl. Mostly consider myself a newbie. I bought a basket pipe at a local tobacco shop and just got an estate pipe Savinelli. Looking forward to learning on here. General question -- if I add another bowl a day, can I use the same pipe and do I need a different pipe for each tobacco I try?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hello and Welcome to the Forum. I often times will smoke the same pipe several times a day. Just run a pipe cleaner through it and you're good to go. Back in the day pipes were smoked hard all day. So just smoke it and it'll all come together.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hiya & welcome from upstate SC, Steve! Glad to have you here!
In answer to the question (don't worry -- we don't charge extra for two), in order:
Yes.
And no/yes, depending on who's giving the advice. Some people do dedicate a specific pipe to a specific blend, & some don't. I'm one of the don'ts & while I probably do miss out on some of the nuances of pairing pipe to blend, I enjoy just about any blend in any pipe. Besides,if I matched pipe to blend even at a 2:1 ratio, I'd still have a problem since I don't have 45 blends in stock! :crazy:
Bill

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Hello and welcome to the forum. I smoke the same pipe all day and then let it sit awhile to dry out. I do not dedicate pipes for different tobaccos. I think you will find lots of varying opinions on here but do what works for you.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi and welcome to the forum!
The pairing of a pipe to a certain blend or certain variety (Virginia, VaPers, English, etc.) is a individual choice and depends on the pipe smoker. I'm in the 'no' camp just because;
A) I don't have a bunch of blends and pipes on hand

B) my palette isn't as refined as some to pick up the little subtle tastes

C) I just love agreeing with Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. Usually designated pipes are important with Lakelands aromatics, the British blends. Otherwise, it's a matter of taste. Most don't do it much or at all.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Welcome. I smoke the same 3 or 4 pipes all the time, often the same pipe 3 or 4 times a day just because it is my favorite. I do let it dry (usually) between smokes. Remember, pipe smoking is different for each person so try it an see if it works for you.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I’ll definitely smoke the same pipe all day. 6 to 8 bowls, a good clening, then back in the rack. I have enough pipes so that it gets about a week rest after a hard days smoking.
I only seperate aromatics from non-aromatics as far as pipes go. Some aromatics are very subdued and won’t sweeten up a pipe so those I smoke in whatever. You’ll develop your own system with more experience. Also your tastes will change so if a tobacco doesn’t taste good initially, put it away and come back to it in a month or two.
Also, give corncob pipes a try. Missouri Meerschaum sells bags of seconds. 7 pipes for around $30. Best money I’ve ever spent.
Anyway, welcome and you’re certainly in the right place for good info.

Welcome to the forums, and rule #1 of pipesmoking is... do whatever the hell you want. Once you buy the pipe, it's yours to treat in any way, form, or fashion. You will find that traditionally and many on here also, just smoke one pipe all day long everyday. Men would do this, then toss them away when they cake over. Then, some will buy one pipe per blend, or frequency of smoking, or even pipes to match their outfits for the day. None are wrong, none are right. You just figure out what sort of guy you are and then join in the argument. :puffy:

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
You just figure out what sort of guy you are and then join in the argument.
I agree with cosmic; I personally use a 4 pipe rotation (3 of them Savinelli's) but for no other reason than I get bored smoking out of the same pipe all the time...it's personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.