PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Hi Everyone,
New member here checking in. I've recently picked up the pipe again after quitting it a few years ago (2010) in a misguided attempt to lead a more healthy lifestyle which resulted only in my gaining an extra 30 pounds that I need to lose. I've really missed the pipe for the past almost 5 years.
I first picked up a pipe in 1993 while trying to quit cigarettes (a cheap Sasieni second purchased from the Tinder Box in Winston-Salem, NC that had a sandpit that was a pinhole all the way through the bowl). The pipe was such a terrible smoker, along with the aromatic tobaccos I was smoking (moisture would actually leak out of the sandpit/pinhole in the bottom of the bowl and the tongue bite was unbearable) that I gave up on it though I did succeed in quitting cigarettes a few years later in 1997.
I had always enjoyed cigars but by the late 90s the prices had become so ridiculous that I decided to give the pipe another try. I bought a nice little Barling at a tobacco shop here in the Atlanta area and on the advice of the tobacconist tried non-aromatic blends for the first time and was hooked. Around that same time I discovered the old Lioncrest website and bought two nice customs, a Randy Wiley and a Tim West, and also became acquainted with Craig Tarler. I bought my tobacco from Craig and Patty for many years and was saddened to learn after getting back into pipes that Craig had passed on, he was a great guy. While searching for the Cornell and Diehl website so I could order some tobacco I discovered that Craig had passed and the business had been sold to the Smoking Pipes folks. I have placed a few orders with Smoking Pipes and their service has been outstanding, I received a Peterson Dracula from them last week that I am smoking as I type this. I am now getting into tinned tobaccos for the first time and am really enjoying them, in the past I only smoked bulk blends from C&D, so I have a lot of catching up to do. :D
Happy Thanksgiving!
Andy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum, Andy. There's a lot of knowledge here so don't be shy about taking advantage of it. We like questions and we love pictures. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums! :clap:
If you like the style and character of C&D blends, you can start catching-up on other tinned blends by exploring

the G L Pease line. Although distinctive, there are commonalities that will appeal to your current tastes.
Oh, and let us know how your Poplar Camp and Latakia mix goes as the two leafs meld and age.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Thanks for the welcome, Pat.
Cortez,
The G.L. Pease blends are a great suggestion. I'm enjoying the Dunhill and Peterson tins I've recently discovered so much (I've fallen in love with Dunhill 965 and Peterson Old Dublin but Nightcap not so much) that I had forgotten all about his blends. I remember when Craig Tarler and Greg Pease first collaborated on the Two Friends blends but I guess back then I wasn't curious enough to try them or maybe I was just too cheap and figured why spend the extra money when I could buy a pound of Craig's bulk blends for 20 bucks versus spending 5 or 6 bucks on a tin (back then). Lots of new things to try now, though.
I'll let you all know how my first foray into blending goes with my Poplar Camp/Latakia mix. I like it so far and I think I'll probably mix up another half pound using maybe a half ounce more of latakia and age that as well though instead of putting it all into one jar I'll put it into 2 or 3 smaller jars so I can taste it along the way.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Welcome Andy, I to came back to my pipe a few months ago after a lay away of 25 years. This is truly a wonderful forum with great people.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Frank,
Where are you from in Indiana? My wife and I are both originally from farm country in Wabash County, nearest town is Urbana. We now live in Georgia but hope to move back someday. I really miss the squirrel and rabbit hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.