PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspetrichor

Lurker
Feb 7, 2014
Hello everyone. My name's Joe and I'm from northern Missouri. I've been smoking a pipe for just over a month now, and I'm really enjoying it. I smoke mostly corncob pipes and my favorite tobacco at the moment (I've only tried around eight different blends so far) is Presbyterian.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Welcome to the forum! I'm a corn cob aficionado as well. My company, Old Dominion Pipe Co., is also a manufacturer of corn cob pipes and we are a site sponsor as well. Glad to have you on board. The folks on this board are a wealth of knowledge and together we all share our enjoyment of our little hobby.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Hello Joe....Welcome to the forum.Pipe somking is a great enjoyment.This is a good place to ask questions if you need to.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome, Joe!
Presbyterian is a great blend! But it's not usually among the first dozen -- or five dozen -- blends most beginning pipe smokers pick up! In fact, there are a lot of long-time pipe smokers who have never tried it.
In case you don't know, it's very much an Oriental-forward blend, meaning the orientals take center stage and any other elements are in a "support" role. Depending on the specific oriental leaf involved, oriental mixtures can be zesty, tangy, acrid, bitter, and even very (naturally) sweet. If my memory serves, Presbyterian falls more into the zesty/tangy range. I also seem to recall that it required a good bit of drying out before it really sang in the bowl.
I say all of that not to bore you ;) but to give you an idea of what kinds of blends to try if you'd like to explore related blends. McClelland does a lot with oriental-focused mixtures, including their Grand Orientals series, which is worth trying just so you can get a handle on each varietal's distinct character.
Ignore me if this is all stuff you've already picked up!
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.