PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loupgarougras

Lurker
May 3, 2018
So I purchased an inexpensive Muhsin Meerschaum Calabash. It was to be my dedicated aromatic pipe. I started smoking MacBaren 7 Seas Royal in said pipe. Smoked wonderfully until the 8th or 9th bowl. Then I started to get a taste and scent reminiscent of sulphur. I clean after every bowl with a cleaner down the stem and a doubled over cleaner around the inside of the bowl. I removed the stem after the pipe cooled to try and achieve a better clean but to no avail. The stem connects via a plastic insert into the shank. I wondered if products of combustion may have made their way between the plastic insert and the wall of the shank? If so, can one remove the plastic insert? Or any other thoughts as to what is causing the foul taste and odor? I am afraid that I have somehow ruined my pipe.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The one thing that comes to mind is the beeswax coating on Meerschaum pipes. They try not to get any into the chamber, but on a less expensive one, maybe some is in there. Give it a few more smokes and see how it is. Meerschaums are generally the definition of neutral. They typically add nothing to the smoke, good or bad. Is this a block meer? I’ve never smoked a composite model, but conceivably the binder on a composite might create some off-flavors.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Which "cleaner"?
Regardless, I would now run very hot water down the chamber and out the stem, as well as over the outside to remove as much wax as possible. Dry with paper towel, cleaner through the airway, and light her up. No muss, no fuss. No real need to dry overnight though some will say you should.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I recently had a run in with a Meer that gave off a super funky smell and taste for the first 20 or so bowls. It subsided a little, but was still present until I gave the bowl a long bake at 170F(with the mortise liner removed) and then re-waxed it. After that it was totally neutral, no more funky sewer Meer. I am not saying that's what is going on with yours, but if it doesn't subside after some more bowls, you might give it a shot.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I bought my first meer a month ago and I have smoked about 10 bowls though it so far and have had no funkiness, bad aftertaste or weirdness with it....just smooth, clean, smoke. I love it. I willb e purchasing more in the near future!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
After a long hiatus from the meer market, I bought a new Tekin a couple of months ago, and the tobaccos with which I am very familiar just didn't taste right in it. After 15 or 20 bowls it has started to come around, and I think it'll be a fine smoker in the long run. What I experienced was kind of a chalky, parched sensation that interfered with the sweetness of the tobacco -- but the problem is dissipating gradually. Maybe you should just try to "smoke through" the issue -- for a while, anyway.

002-574-1181.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a Muhsin pipe and it smokes great! Its a fantastic pipe, and I've never had an issue with it. Have you tried smoking any other blends in it? I would try a different blend and run some more bowls through it, and see if you notice anything different.

Status
Not open for further replies.